Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i dont remember if this was from a mod but there was a 1948 arab-israeli war scenario in hoi2 that was really fun

e: maybe it was the suez crisis

I think that was Arsenal of Democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is the Pop demand mod interesting/not terrible for V2? I'm probably looking to play another campaign soon and trying to decide if I should add mods.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

OperaMouse posted:

Was that the one with the Israeli uber-divisions, and nothing but Arab cannon fodder?

YF-23 posted:

I think that was Arsenal of Democracy.

Yes there was that scenario ('48) and then a Suez Crisis scenario, as well as Korea and Kashmir.

They were fun, and given the scale that HoI operates at, often wildly unrealistic in the operations you could carry out , like march all the way to Tripoli and Damascus as Israel in three months in 1948.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fuligin posted:

Just out of curiosity, are you still involved in AtE in some degree?
Not really, tbh. I'm pretty content to consider it "done" myself, but when other folks in the team get an idea for something I don't object to them giving it it go themselves.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Is the Pop demand mod interesting/not terrible for V2? I'm probably looking to play another campaign soon and trying to decide if I should add mods.

It's alright - it's basically just "More Victoria 2" for all the positives and negatives that implies. There are a few original systems in it but nothing game-changing - the biggest noticeable difference is how they set up the military to work - about half the units are core pops only, rather than just guards, so you'll end up with a more variable army composition if you have a big multi-cultural population.

The one thing I noticed about it the last time I played is that it wasn't updated with the last patch that was applied a year or so ago, so it still has all the "Düsseldorf got a new tractor!" event spam. There also seems to be a LOT more unrest/revolts than in vanilla, which you may find annoying, although it does lead to a bit more of a dynamic world. Some of the new wargoals also lead to a lot of variation as well - there's one along the lines of "Dismantle empire" which basically forces a nation to release every nation it can, so you can see places like the US getting balkanized into the CSA and Deseret and all those.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 3, 2017

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

It has a lot of changes, many of which are weird. Look into NNM (New Nations Mod) which has all the new nations and events PDM has but without the radical gameplay changes.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

pdxjohan posted:

I dunno about the other pdxians.. wiz got a gf now, so probably less around.

He got in too deep with Victoria's Secret.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Palleon posted:

He got in too deep with Victoria's Secret.

(((deep))) research expedition

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

(((deep))) research expedition

Either you or I are confused about what the three parentheses mean. Can we get a judge's ruling please?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Senor Dog posted:

Either you or I are confused about what the three parentheses mean. Can we get a judge's ruling please?

The Jews have sent in their agent to seduce Wiz in order to prevent him making Victoria 3 and helping the masses achieve class consciousness

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

(((Victoria's))) Secret O_O

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
On the devs posting maybe less, I do post when I feel I have something to say, be it smart or stupid. But when it is a circle jerk of hate on one of the games (like it been recently on Stellaris in this thread) I don't really have anything to say. Whatever I can say at that point kind of becomes a trap, you get what I mean?

Also just to be clear, I am not discrediting the problems you are having when you play. But having to defend for a thousandth time why we haven't fixed everything yesterday kind of wears down on you. So it becomes better to just not say anything. (Keep in mind I get bombarded about these kind of stuff from every platform not only this forum on a pretty much weekly basis)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Groogy posted:

On the devs posting maybe less, I do post when I feel I have something to say, be it smart or stupid. But when it is a circle jerk of hate on one of the games (like it been recently on Stellaris in this thread) I don't really have anything to say. Whatever I can say at that point kind of becomes a trap, you get what I mean?

Also just to be clear, I am not discrediting the problems you are having when you play. But having to defend for a thousandth time why we haven't fixed everything yesterday kind of wears down on you. So it becomes better to just not say anything. (Keep in mind I get bombarded about these kind of stuff from every platform not only this forum on a pretty much weekly basis)

I like you Groogy even if I am critical of Paradox recent releases, but yeah, I recognize it's tiresome to see people regularly down on your work, but I only criticize because your work has given some of my most entertaining gaming hours and I care and hope to gladly throw a few hundred hours of my life in a future Paradox Development Studios product.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Groogy posted:

I agree with you. It's impossible to fix everything with Stellaris yesterday. Therefore, stop all work on that and start on Vicky 3

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

pdxjohan posted:

This is so true. Its part of the designers worktasks to read through suggestions forums. Even if an idea is poo poo it sometimes makes us come up with something else.

Does that apply to the other games' suggestion forums to the same degree? Others have mentioned that it mostly seems to be a EU4-phenomenon, with the recent Korea changes being a particularly visible and encouraging example.

Because I have some ideas about Aztecs in CK2...

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Groogy posted:

I don't think anyone expects you to just spontaneously fix all of the problems for all of your games. Stellaris in particular seems to at least have some driving concept behind its continuing development and you clearly don't have infinite resources to throw at things.

The only thing that really gets me worried is when there are very immediately obvious and serious problems in recently changed / added mechanics, which seem to have gone uncommented on by the dev team; for example how extremely negatively and ahistorically EU4's tributary / empire of china mechanics have impacted the gameplay experience for most of Asia. There might have been new mechanics which have made the game more difficult in the past, but none which make me feel like I'm being actively punished for using DLC; this doesn't exactly make me want to jump out and buy the next DLC on release because how do I know that you don't feel that this is all working totally fine and it's just going to happen again?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Gimmick Account posted:

Does that apply to the other games' suggestion forums to the same degree? Others have mentioned that it mostly seems to be a EU4-phenomenon, with the recent Korea changes being a particularly visible and encouraging example.

Because I have some ideas about Aztecs in CK2...

Quoting for truth and the fact that in the latest CK2 dev diary they explicitly said that new Silk Road mechanics will be sent to anyone that owns Horse Lords, even if they dont own Jade Dragon, while being completely silent about Sunset Invasion to my knowledge.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I agree with you. It's impossible to fix everything with Stellaris yesterday. Therefore, stop all work on that and start on Vicky 3

I play too much Victoria 2 for how old and buggy it is - please give me more pops to choose from (in vicky 3)

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

This

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Guys I'm having problem with civil unrest in my Vicky 3 campaign. The fetishists (religion) and the fetishists (culture) are fighting.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

unwantedplatypus posted:

Guys I'm having problem with civil unrest in my Vicky 3 campaign. The fetishists (religion) and the fetishists (culture) are fighting.

Check your tariffs and reduce taxes on leather imports, that should make both types of POPs happier. If you can't get it from the global market or your sphere you can try some gunboat diplomacy to force open a foreign leather source, worst case scenario just invade some uncivilized nation and bring a few thousand prisoners as material for your human leather factories, just be mindful of keeping a steady production so the eye of the Gods won't open before you are ready.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone point me to the latest version of Kaiserreich for Darkest Hour?

If there are any other DH mods you want to recommend, go ahead and link me as well.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can someone point me to the latest version of Kaiserreich for Darkest Hour?

If there are any other DH mods you want to recommend, go ahead and link me as well.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/kaiserreich.529944/

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, Tyranny's on sale, how is it?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

It was my GOTY last year. My only complaint is that it's fairly short by the genre's standards (~25 hours, give or take) but I think that's to facilitate frequent replays like Alpha Protocol. The gameplay's a lot like Pillars of Eternity's but feels a good bit better in a way that I can't fully define (it might just be visual, the game looks and animates a lot better) and the writing, story, characters, setting, etc, are all a thousand times better than anything in Pillars.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Also pretty great magic creation system makes it possible to play as a musclewizard who coats his fists in lightning then explodes people with his righteous uppercuts

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

It's good, a bit short, but I played through it twice, back to back when I first got it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Agean90 posted:

Also pretty great magic creation system makes it possible to play as a musclewizard who coats his fists in lightning then explodes people with his righteous uppercuts

It's a pity they nerfed the spell that made flame walls shoot out of your fists whenever you hit someone to only be whenever you crit someone though.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I bought it two days ago and I'm having a blast. It's basically Pillars of Eternity.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Nckdictator posted:

Pros:
Good, engaging story, good writing, lots of cool roleplaying opportunities
Original, interesting setting and premise that's way different from any other RPG
Multiple branching paths
The combat system is generally good and fun

Cons:
Writing too often forgoes the interesting premise ("be Judge Dredd bureaucrat for an all-powerful evil overlord") in favor of conventional RPG questing
Story quality falls off leading up to a disappointing ending
Balance is a bit rough, causing occasional very frustrating difficulty spikes throughout the game, while at other times it gets trivial

Overall, though, very much worth getting, especially if you can grab it on sale. Apparently there's an expansion that improves the ending, but I don't know if it's good.

Edit: also the game lets you use convoluted legal loopholes in what is basically bureaucrat magic to help solve several quests, which owns so hard

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 9, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Guildencrantz posted:

Overall, though, very much worth getting, especially if you can grab it on sale. Apparently there's an expansion that improves the ending, but I don't know if it's good.

Nah, it's just a new option lots of people wanted for the ending. Still just as abrupt apparently.

Still would recommend it to anyone. I liked it a lot more than pillars. Writers don't just throw exposition at you and conversations aren't just walls of text. No per rest or per encounter limits on spells. It's good.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 9, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
If Vicky 3 ever does get made I'd love to see some deeper political demands and the Crisis system expanded to encompass them, rather than just ethnic minorities. Starting crises over tariffs, colonies, slavery (or other rights issues), and so on would all be great, and being able to offer related powers concessions (including from yourself in an "I'll trade you Corsica if you help me retake Alsace-Lorraine" sort of way) to draw people in would be great. The crisis system is cool and always quite tense whenever it fires off but it's a shame it's used for only one thing. It'd also let minor nations have some weight in diplomacy, that way.

Also great wars should be a thing by default.

EDIT: Lol I had this same thought after I first encountered the system in my converter game apparently.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 9, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

spectralent posted:

EDIT: Lol I had this same thought after I first encountered the system in my converter game apparently.
To be fair, it is a good thought.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

spectralent posted:

If Vicky 3 ever does get made I'd love to see some deeper political demands and the Crisis system expanded to encompass them, rather than just ethnic minorities. Starting crises over tariffs, colonies, slavery (or other rights issues), and so on would all be great, and being able to offer related powers concessions (including from yourself in an "I'll trade you Corsica if you help me retake Alsace-Lorraine" sort of way) to draw people in would be great. The crisis system is cool and always quite tense whenever it fires off but it's a shame it's used for only one thing. It'd also let minor nations have some weight in diplomacy, that way.

Also great wars should be a thing by default.

the fact that PDM makes the crisis focus not useful is a sign it's made by idiots imo

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Thinking about it "starting a war over tariffs" is almost literally the opium wars and the history of china in this period.

Also vicky 3 should let uncivs that westernise (or whatever the equivalent term becomes) have chances to have all their grain-and-sadness provinces flip to things like iron, coal and sulphur where possible to represent the development of heavy industry and excavation capable of using them, because it's kind of ridiculous when you've been a fully industrial society for 50 years but are still subsisting on war reparations because your economy is still 90% wool with 50%+ literacy and dozens of factories.

Also wool should be usable in clothing factories and it's utterly baffling to me that it isn't.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 10, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They're not going to make Vicky 3 because they hate us.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mantis42 posted:

They're not going to make Vicky 3 because they hate us.
We can define Vicky 3 as the perfect game. Perfection is "that than which nothing greater can be conceived" A game that only exists in our mind would not be as great as one that exists in reality, contradicting our definition of Vicky 3. Thus, Vicky 3 must exist. From this, we can deduce that Paradox has made Vicky 3, but are holding it back because it would destroy the cash cow that is DLC for their other, non-perfect games. If not proof of hatred, it is at least clear evidence that they love money more than humanity.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We can define Vicky 3 as the perfect game. Perfection is "that than which nothing greater can be conceived" A game that only exists in our mind would not be as great as one that exists in reality, contradicting our definition of Vicky 3. Thus, Vicky 3 must exist. From this, we can deduce that Paradox has made Vicky 3, but are holding it back because it would destroy the cash cow that is DLC for their other, non-perfect games. If not proof of hatred, it is at least clear evidence that they love money more than humanity.

Hello Descartes, welcome to paradox thread

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
spoilers: When they make V3 everyone is going to go berserk because the economy and population models will be simplified into something they can actually maintain and expand on later.

If Wiz's horrified tweets about the V2 code were to be believed, it seems unlikely just build on V2 like they did EU3 to EU4.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Sindai posted:

spoilers: When they make V3 everyone is going to go berserk because the economy and population models will be simplified into something they can actually maintain and expand on later.

If Wiz's horrified tweets about the V2 code were to be believed, it seems unlikely just build on V2 like they did EU3 to EU4.

Yeah, everyone keeps saying they want V3 but I don't believe them. What they want is V2, but new.