Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You could probably go to any campus and ask any staff or faculty where that stuff is located and they won't know because they've seen it maybe once at most.

If this wasn't announced nobody that it is meant for would probably know it's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

I guess the part that irks me is that it's structurally similar to the military's ineffectual sexual assault prevention system. They're forcing wholly unqualified people to perform investigations into criminal matters.

Wait what? What the gently caress about military sexual assault programs has anyone other than no-poo poo criminal investigators doing investigations? Step 1 of responding to sex crimes is "call the criminal investigators." Step 2 is generally "call your trial counsel."

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Wonder Free posted:

I'm actually NOAA. The Air Force is a bunch of turds. Not a pilot though, so unless you want to see a bunch of papers flying everywhere and hear a grown man crying uncontrollably then my videos wouldn't be very good.

Look man. We just want videos of your flights. Not your home life.

psydude posted:

Irma's now tied for title of strongest Atlantic hurricane ever recorded.

Kinda sorta.

Strength of tropical cyclones is measured in two ways. Pressure and sustained windspeed.

Wind speed: Allen 190mph was a GoM storm.
Pressure: Wilma 882mb was a GoM storm.

Both are Atlantic basin storms. So they are the actual record holders for the Atlantic. Irma is a record for open Atlantic.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Why is it on the college to do any sort of investigating and judgement? Isn't this a criminal matter that the police are supposed to investigate, the courts to judge, and the judge to sentence, and when all of that is done then dude gets expelled or what ever?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

KildarX posted:

Why is it on the college to do any sort of investigating and judgement? Isn't this a criminal matter that the police are supposed to investigate, the courts to judge, and the judge to sentence, and when all of that is done then dude gets expelled or what ever?

Well in cases like Baylor, Notre Dame and FSU you had either people in the athletic dept approaching victims and telling them not to go to the police or the police just not doing anything once an accusation was made.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

You could probably go to any campus and ask any staff or faculty where that stuff is located and they won't know because they've seen it maybe once at most.

If this wasn't announced nobody that it is meant for would probably know it's gone.

As a faculty member, not really. We have to go through mandatory training on this and most of us include info on a lot of this in our course syllabus statements as well. Usually we have a boilerplate chunk for ADA related stuff for people who need test taking support due to disability conditions and another chunk in there for counseling / Title IX related stuff. My school is not a particularly liberal one either, as far as Universities go.

That Works fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 7, 2017

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wonder Free posted:

USA Jobs would be the way for the civilian side. Which would be FE or any of the tech or mech positions. I think they usually require AMP or whatever that maintenance cert is.

I'm a navigator, which, along with pilots is a NOAA Corps position. I had to interservice transfer from the navy into my position. It was very weird because NOAA Corps is like the asterisk of the uniformed services. We are super small so a spot only opens up every few years for pilot or nav positions. They'll definitely take guys from other services, we just happen to draw from the navy frequently because they have P-3s and we still maintain connections with those communities to get the word out and vet people.

That's awesome! Were you a P-3 guy prior, or some other airframe? Did you go through Randolph for nav school? I know the Keesler guys have a similar thing with maintaining connections, except with C-130E/H/Js instead of P-3s. I was considering them too - they're a C-130J unit now, but they still have a few navs for the hurricane mission.

I did email someone at NOAA a while back to ask about positions, but I am 100% certain that I did not get in touch with the right people. Do you guys have a website or a contact email?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Wonder Free posted:

The last ones we have hired have been ground pounders that were former FEs. They did crew chief stuff for awhile and then when a spot opened up they wound up getting brought on to fly. Really more out of desperation than anything else - we are very small and only run two P3 crews, so we are only billeted for 4 FEs. A lot of them are older and already retired from the navy many years before, so if they run into issues with their FAA medical stuff, we have to scramble or fly short staffed. We are using a contractor from Wiley? Or whoever it is that supplies FEs to det Dallas for this storm series. I'll put the word out if they are looking again, someone is always in medical limbo these days it seems.

Cool. I'd probably need a flying class 3 again.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

KildarX posted:

They can report to the college without it going to the police according to my course. I think this was to encourage people who would be reluctant to go through a whole criminal thing.

I clicked through the slides as fast as I could so I don't remember half of it. Consent is easier to deal with at 35 then at 18.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Wait what? What the gently caress about military sexual assault programs has anyone other than no-poo poo criminal investigators doing investigations? Step 1 of responding to sex crimes is "call the criminal investigators." Step 2 is generally "call your trial counsel."

No, you're right. The military's system has the command investigation defer to the criminal investigation when it's assault instead of harassment. So it's actually superior to the DoEd's guidelines, where the administration's investigation is independent from the criminal investigation and sexual harassment is considered to be sexual assault.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The campus rape issue is legally not a criminal mater. It is a civil/administrative matter regarding violation of university rules and procedures. This is fairly well settled law.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

psydude posted:

No, you're right. The military's system has the command investigation defer to the criminal investigation when it's assault instead of harassment. So it's actually superior to the DoEd's guidelines, where the administration's investigation is independent from the criminal investigation and sexual harassment is considered to be sexual assault.

It doesn't treat harassment the same as assault. If you look at the actual guidance they take care to explain various types of harassment including faculty/student and student/student which can create hostile environments that prevent someone from getting their education.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soylent Pudding posted:

The campus rape issue is legally not a criminal mater. It is a civil/administrative matter regarding violation of university rules and procedures. This is fairly well settled law.

Yeah it's far from perfect, but it's not like victims are forbidden from going to the cops.

There are some schools in particular that seem to have dumbass practices like questioning the accused without even letting them know who is accusing them or holding the hearing as essentially a surprise.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How is that a thing? If I as a student steal another students car on campus how would that be a civil matter instead of a criminal matter? Instead of either a criminal or both a civil and criminal matter? It's not as if the State doesn't have Sexual Battery on the books.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's both. But you could choose not to press charges for whatever reason and then still possibly get them punished or expelled based on code of conduct.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

It doesn't treat harassment the same as assault. If you look at the actual guidance they take care to explain various types of harassment including faculty/student and student/student which can create hostile environments that prevent someone from getting their education.

You're right about the definition, but the guidance doesn't differentiate handling of the two, either:

quote:

Title IX requires a school to take prompt and effective steps reasonably calculated to end sexual harassment and sexual violence that creates a hostile environment (i.e., conduct that is sufficiently serious as to limit or deny a student’s ability to participate in or benefit from the school’s educational program and activity). But a school should not wait to take steps to protect its students until students have already been deprived of educational opportunities.

OCR therefore recommends that a school train responsible employees to report to the Title IX coordinator or other appropriate school official any incidents of sexual harassment or sexual violence that may violate the school’s code of conduct or may create or contribute to the creation of a hostile environment. The school can then take steps to investigate and prevent any harassment or violence from recurring or escalating, as appropriate

e:

mlmp08 posted:

It's both. But you could choose not to press charges for whatever reason and then still possibly get them punished or expelled based on code of conduct.

Yeah. Some guy I knew got his rear end beat by a fraternity and declined to press charges, but the university's conduct board expelled them all anyway.

The key point here is that the conduct board was made up of faculty, staff, and students who reviewed an investigation conducted by the administration, as well as the statements taken by the police. It wasn't a single person acting as the investigator and judge.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 7, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It doesn't differentiate in that they're saying both need to be investigated and then handled in accordance with the school's code of conduct which flows directly from what title IX is all about in the first place.

None of the ed. dept guidance says that SH and SA should receive the same punishment or anything of the sort but rather emphasizes that both are covered under title IX and it's on the school to mitigate or eliminate it as much as possible.

I get your beef, but it's mostly with schools' implementation not the guidance itself.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

psydude posted:

Yeah. Some guy I knew got his rear end beat by a fraternity and declined to press charges, but the university's conduct board expelled them all anyway.

The key point here is that the conduct board was made up of faculty, staff, and students who reviewed an investigation conducted by the administration, as well as the statements taken by the police. It wasn't a single person acting as the investigator and judge.

Each school sets it's own policy regarding implementation. Dept. Ed. guidance isn't setting punishment rules or anything of the sort but rather directing action because there have been decades of systematic abuse at a large number of schools that school administrations either deliberately covered up or wantonly ignored.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Speaking of air crews with big brass balls flying into weather poo poo that they probably shouldn't...

https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/status/905604331138727937

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Each school sets it's own policy regarding implementation. Dept. Ed. guidance isn't setting punishment rules or anything of the sort but rather directing action because there have been decades of systematic abuse at a large number of schools that school administrations either deliberately covered up or wantonly ignored.

I see your point, but it sounds like the OCR investigators weren't supposed to be impartial during investigations into a university. Combined with the lack of specific guidance, this made schools take the most extreme possible steps in order to cover their rear end. So far 60 law suits have found in favor of students who universities unfairly disciplined and there's another 110 that are currently under way; my guess is the legal cost will get too high to continue the measures they've put in place.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Genocide Tendency posted:

Speaking of air crews with big brass balls flying into weather poo poo that they probably shouldn't...

It looks like Eagle Eye has zero visibility

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How do the engines cope with ingesting all of the various poo poo that is in the air during a forest fire?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Should be mostly ash right? There shouldn't be large chunks of tree or rocks or anything floating around so they shouldn't have a problem pushing it through. Is there some kind of water wash they do on aircraft engines cause if so they would probably do that after.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
If you're not in the GIP snapchat...chat Holla at me on snap

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'd imagine wood ash is okay to an extent. Volcanic ash is a bad time though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
A pair of A-10s crashed at Nellis. Both pilots appear OK. Not sure what happened yet.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They tried to touch tips.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

tastefully arranged labia posted:

How do the engines cope with ingesting all of the various poo poo that is in the air during a forest fire?

Probably fairly well. A concern is with anything molten that can cool and harden. That poo poo will lock up turbines. Volcanic ash and commercial airliners don't mix well.

There's a mishap where a 747 lost all four engines due to hardened volcanic ash. The crew re-lit the motors after losing something like 20,000 feet.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

90% of my family couldn't fly in for my sister's wedding when Ejafjallajökull erupted back in the day.

The in-laws had 30 people in the church, we had 5.

gently caress volcanic ash and gently caress Ejafjallajökull.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

cowboy elvis posted:

Probably fairly well. A concern is with anything molten that can cool and harden. That poo poo will lock up turbines. Volcanic ash and commercial airliners don't mix well.

There's a mishap where a 747 lost all four engines due to hardened volcanic ash. The crew re-lit the motors after losing something like 20,000 feet.

Apparently it's happened twice. Once was a KLM flight that was stopping over in Alaska, and the other was a British Airways flight on its way to Malaysia.

But the British Airways one is funnier, because it's very British:

quote:

Owing to the high Indonesian mountains on the south coast of the island of Java, an altitude of at least 11,500 feet (3,500 m) was required to cross the coast safely. The crew decided that if the aircraft was unable to maintain altitude by the time they reached 12,000 feet (3,700 m) they would turn back out to sea and attempt to ditch into the Indian Ocean. The crew began engine restart drills, despite being well outside the recommended maximum engine in-flight start envelope altitude of 28,000 feet (8,500 m). The restart attempts failed.

Despite the lack of time, Moody made an announcement to the passengers that has been described as "a masterpiece of understatement":

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

psydude fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 7, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That's incredible.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I hope they were handing out free drinks.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Jesus that's a Mack Maloney cover

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
My brother is a doctor on call at Jackson Memorial hospital during the whole hurricane. Probably the safest place to be in all of south florida, but I'm still freaked out. He did say he'd bring his go-pro and try and get some sweet shots, I'll link them if anything cool comes up. The eye wall is expected to be right on top of his condo apparently... so RIP that place I guess.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Waroduce posted:

Currently waiting for gf to wrap up am drinking at bar

If u haven't got poo poo from me on snap message me and say hi cause there's alot of you

Lurkers :ninja:

That's your girl?

If so I have a spare bedroom in my basement she can ride out the storm in WA.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LingcodKilla posted:

That's your girl?

If so I have a spare bedroom in my basement she can ride out the storm in WA.

Mods change crab dudes name to Out The Storm

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How hot is your girlfriend Waroduce

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

actually just change his name to the crab dude

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'm honestly thinking about changing my name to redcrabkilla.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Hurricane or not, Florida looks way cooler than I remember. But then again I was only in Pensacola.

WTS/WTT: Castle in the woods for house on the intercoastal. Rebuild/restore ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Legit thought that was a screenshot from ID4 posted as a joke first.

• Locked thread