Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Today I had my first game in a couple of months, I was playing my Nids against a Ministorum/Sororitas list and for funsies I decided to run with no Hive Tyrants for a change, instead opting to cram as many Carnifexes as I could in 1750 points:

Just one picture this time unfortunately. I did learn that Old One Eye is completely Crazy once it gets into contact with enemy models!

Otherwise I've been completely out of the loop since a couple of weeks before the Space Marine codex dropped, what's new in 8th edition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

For_Great_Justice posted:

I'm still of the opinion the new DG have way too much going on. Only the most ascended ought to have gut mouths an such. Too many arm tentacles.
:same:

The new plague marine models would be fantastic nurgle chosen, but they're too much for me as the basic troops of the army. I'd prefer something more understated, yet clearly corrupted.

Thinking about it, FW had some decent plague marine upgrade parts that might work well with some converted/damaged mkIII for just that look.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
While the new DG do have a lot going on, I feel it fits with Chaos Marines story-wise. They're 10,000 year old veterans. I've always felt their models should heavily reflect their age and years of experience (baubles, scarring, mutations, etc) rather than the relatively clean-cut armor of normal Marines. Giving them just horns (like the current vanilla CSM kit) is a little bland.

Renegades or recently fallen marines fit more with the cleaner aesthetic.

Then again, I don't play Chaos. I just like looking at cool armies across the table from me.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

:same:

The new plague marine models would be fantastic nurgle chosen, but they're too much for me as the basic troops of the army. I'd prefer something more understated, yet clearly corrupted.

Thinking about it, FW had some decent plague marine upgrade parts that might work well with some converted/damaged mkIII for just that look.

Better hurry; FW has been gradually removing/phasing out all of their non-heresy chaos poo poo

I tend to agree with Zuul though--I like that they've got more going on. It might not fit for Night Lords, but it works for Nurgle mans.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Not all DG are ancient beings. They do recruit fresh bodies. An nothing arguably always starts that corrupted.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

All
Death Guard
Are
Beautiful

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I love my fat, undead, bile-spewing gay sons.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Not all DG are ancient beings. They do recruit fresh bodies. An nothing arguably always starts that corrupted.

ain't nothin fresh bout those bodies

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Does anyone know where I can buy back issues of White Dwarf other than ebay? I'm looking for White Dwarf March 2017 and January 2017 with shipping to Canada.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

So I missed my GW store's anniversary by one week. What's the best way to get one of those sweet-rear end Primaris Captains?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

SRM posted:

ain't nothin fresh bout those bodies

:golfclap:

If people like gribbly bits cool, I like a more simple blank canvas to make those dudes my dudes in my army. But that's just like my opinion man.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Rhaegar posted:

Does anyone know where I can buy back issues of White Dwarf other than ebay? I'm looking for White Dwarf March 2017 and January 2017 with shipping to Canada.

I have January if you want it. PM me with your address. I may also have March; will have to check.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I'm starting to get a little concerned that we won't be getting multipart plague marines - there haven't been any pictured in the leaks or photos that aren't just the Dark Imperium / First Strike snapfits, and there's even been different Blight Drones sighted.
Has anybody seen pictures counter to this? I'm wanting to collect some rotboys, but can't stand having multiple monoposes that are really distinctive, like the plague marines are.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

This is pretty much the route GW is going to go down. Mono pose static easy to produce kits with maybe options here an there.

Primaris represent this. The basic unit, to my knowledge, is one weapon option an one maybe two options for melee weapons for the sergeant.

Death guard have weapon options but seem to be very preset mono pose. You can't say take a head from one an just put it on another without some work unlike a basic marine or csm dude.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
There have been photos of Death Guard who aren't in the Dark Imperium box or the trio of new guys who are presumably from a forthcoming multi-part kit. I suspect they'll be similar to the Primaris multi-pose kit that just came out.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Man I play metal armies and even I find the monopose plastic stuff disappointing.

So many opportunities squandered.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

raverrn posted:

So I missed my GW store's anniversary by one week. What's the best way to get one of those sweet-rear end Primaris Captains?

eBay and track other stores.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Texmo posted:

I'm starting to get a little concerned that we won't be getting multipart plague marines - there haven't been any pictured in the leaks or photos that aren't just the Dark Imperium / First Strike snapfits, and there's even been different Blight Drones sighted.
Has anybody seen pictures counter to this? I'm wanting to collect some rotboys, but can't stand having multiple monoposes that are really distinctive, like the plague marines are.

Some of the ones pictured in the initial teaser haven't been seen yet and there's codex options for some flails, there's gonna be a legit multipart kit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does anyone have a datacard for the new Primaris captain?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've said it before, but I really like the way they approached the mono-pose stuff in the 8th release. No repeated poses in the main box (except among the Poxwalkers, which is understandable). Then even more variation in the cheapest starter set. My historic complaints against mono-pose models have always been duplicate models, and a lack of support for special options. This release doesn't really suffer from that. Indeed, there can be a purity in a well designed single pose model that a multi-part kit cannot easily replicate.

Alongside what is most assuredly going to be a mutli-part kit, I love that the starter set models are each the equivalent in individuality to a character model.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

This is pretty much the route GW is going to go down. Mono pose static easy to produce kits with maybe options here an there.

Primaris represent this. The basic unit, to my knowledge, is one weapon option an one maybe two options for melee weapons for the sergeant.

Death guard have weapon options but seem to be very preset mono pose. You can't say take a head from one an just put it on another without some work unlike a basic marine or csm dude.

Dark imperium primaris were monopose but the ones that come outside of the starter boxes have more variety. Death Guard will likely follow suit.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

Death guard are preset because they came in a starter set. As for the Primaris Models they do have a fixed pose to a degree, but I'm sure a little conversion work can solve this the same way it solves the "mono pose" for the Chaos Space Marines and Space Marine Tactical Box

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The next time I'm fighting my Tyranid friend with all his flying mid-zilla bullshit, I'm gonna fool around with a Renegades list, and for this I'm going to have them follow the covenant of Tzeentch (+1 to overwatch), with a vanguard detachment of six ten-man disciple squads with auto-cannons, two Leman Russes with the heavy 20 gatling cannons, and a Hydra quad-cannon tank (+1 against flyers)

My main concern is that I'm going to wipe out every single shrike and warrior and I won't be able to take down his carnifexes before they slaughter my gun lines because those things are a loving nightmare to kill with anything that isn't a melta or a las-cannon

Also I'm impressed at how completely worthless the Renegade commander is since he's just 25 points for a lovely guardsman with slightly better stats but unable to issue any orders or provide any auras or anything useful at all

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Does anyone have a datacard for the new Primaris captain?

https://i.imgur.com/NaZFYzy.jpg

This is the one from the booklet in the kit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

koreban posted:

https://i.imgur.com/NaZFYzy.jpg

This is the one from the booklet in the kit.

I'm hoping someone has one from the anniversary model, since that has a power fist and plasma pistol. Hopefully you can choose to not bring both, but knowing GW I wouldn't be surprised if it's locked down pretty harshly.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Can you give a basic primaris marine a chainsword?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Games Workshop made an entire announcement about how the chainsword was back and badass again. And then every time one of their new big boys went to reach for them, the Admech slapped their hands away and told them to shoot instead.

So no.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nope.

Sergeants can have power swords (and also carry bolt pistols, bolt rifles, and grenade launchers).

Lieutenants somehow lost the ability to carry power swords and bolt rifles at the same time.

Captains remember how to do it again, but only if they carry a master-crafted assault bolt rifle or sniper rifle.

Some Captains have discovered power fists.

That's it.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

The Bee posted:

I can understand why, since Tau as Tau are one of the best selling factions and their players would probably want Tau releases rather than Kroot or Vespid releases.

Give me more Kroot plastics or give me death. I want a dedicated army of Gnashy parrot people.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

goose willis posted:

The next time I'm fighting my Tyranid friend with all his flying mid-zilla bullshit, I'm gonna fool around with a Renegades list, and for this I'm going to have them follow the covenant of Tzeentch (+1 to overwatch), with a vanguard detachment of six ten-man disciple squads with auto-cannons, two Leman Russes with the heavy 20 gatling cannons, and a Hydra quad-cannon tank (+1 against flyers)

My main concern is that I'm going to wipe out every single shrike and warrior and I won't be able to take down his carnifexes before they slaughter my gun lines because those things are a loving nightmare to kill with anything that isn't a melta or a las-cannon

Also I'm impressed at how completely worthless the Renegade commander is since he's just 25 points for a lovely guardsman with slightly better stats but unable to issue any orders or provide any auras or anything useful at all

What loadout do his fexes use? I've only tried mine a few times and wasn't all that impressed.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Give me more Kroot plastics or give me death. I want a dedicated army of Gnashy parrot people.

I share this dream, but forgeworld dropping some of their models because of poor sales doesn't make me hopeful.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Then as far as I'm convinced gw is going static set up an might as well be mono pose.

I'll concede that if they have multi part kits coming then great fantastic whatever. If its just primaris with static stuff maybe they'll stick to just them being too dumb to switch weapons.

They do have all those plague flails an such as options hopefully more stuff comes an it doesn't come down to ebay bits hunting.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm hoping someone has one from the anniversary model, since that has a power fist and plasma pistol. Hopefully you can choose to not bring both, but knowing GW I wouldn't be surprised if it's locked down pretty harshly.

My local store's anniversary isn't until February.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

ro5s posted:

What loadout do his fexes use? I've only tried mine a few times and wasn't all that impressed.

He goes entirely melee, they always have the scything talons I think

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

The Bee posted:

Honestly, I hugely prefer Chaos marines being mutated in their gods' image over being palette swaps with horns pasted on them. It gives them a more solid identity to me.

Me too, but all the Nurgle bikers I lovingly converted with greenstuff that no longer exist now in the codex could at least be made into something else if they were just palette swaps! :rant:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nope.

Sergeants can have power swords (and also carry bolt pistols, bolt rifles, and grenade launchers).

Lieutenants somehow lost the ability to carry power swords and bolt rifles at the same time.

Captains remember how to do it again, but only if they carry a master-crafted assault bolt rifle or sniper rifle.

Some Captains have discovered power fists.

That's it.

Except Blood Angel & Space Wolf Intercessor Sergeants. These remember how to chainsword, but cannot Powersword.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Also honest question. In the rules or in an faq is there something about psykers in an army not being able to cast the same spells other than smite? My opponent yesterday indicated I could not have my D prince an sorcerer both cast warp time.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

goose willis posted:

He goes entirely melee, they always have the scything talons I think

Huh, I didn't think those were much good, they've not got many attacks, only hit on a 4+ and S6 isn't great anymore. They're doing a lot of damage against you?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Also honest question. In the rules or in an faq is there something about psykers in an army not being able to cast the same spells other than smite? My opponent yesterday indicated I could not have my D prince an sorcerer both cast warp time.

If you're playing Matched Play, it's in the main rulebook under that section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Yep