Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

I cannot wait for this expansion. I hope in the future we get tools to make our own custom maps.

There are ways do to it. Lots of mods have their own custom maps. Star Trek: New Horizons is a good example - the Milky Way always looks the same, and certain empires always show up in certain places, but other things like planet type and size, and minable resources are semi-randomized as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I was about to ask a dumb question about having a 'realistic' milky-way galaxy then googled it and realised it has like 300 billion stars in it so erm never mind.

Space be crazy yo

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
can we have a realistic milky way galaxy?

no man's sky did it

:smugdog:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Omniblivion posted:

can we have a realistic milky way galaxy?

Elite did it

:smugdog:

Fixed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Presumably you could do a hyperlanes only map and just spawn shitloads of empty stars that aren't connected to anything to make the galactic map look more lively but still not murder performance or gameplay.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

kaffo posted:

:agreed:
I was scratching my head over why Mega Engineering was the only perk that required a tech when the others granted it outright. So I'm glad they've sorted that

It isn't, the three Ascension lines all have tech prereqs (though only the Spiritualist one is rare, the Biological one can be easy to miss due to the tree setup), as does World Shaper.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anticheese posted:

I'm less excited about the fact that dyson spheres are a one-and-done deal, but on the whole this is good stuff.

Buffing them to output 1000 energy though I think makes them way better.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I don't think any Megastructure is good enough to requires a one-of limit as long as there's no minerals-producing megastructure.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The robotic ascension path is crazy powerful, but the final ascension perk was a bit underwhelming. I had some really good slave-races including one with the 'proles' bonus to food/mineral production and stacking that with the slave processing/iron fist/share the burden/chattel bonuses was really powerful.

I had an uplifted thrall slave race with an extra +20% damage trait; adding strong, thrall, and cybernetic army damage bonuses they were amazing clone troopers. All gone. All replaced with lovely robot armies that also lose their attachments, experience, and military academy modifier And I quite liked having my robots as slaves as well. Having no dissenting factions was quite nice for the influence and overall happiness.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Nickiepoo posted:

I was about to ask a dumb question about having a 'realistic' milky-way galaxy then googled it and realised it has like 300 billion stars in it so erm never mind.

Space be crazy yo

This is a good mod that is a static map of 50 stars in our general area somewhat accurately placed. Proabably close to what you were looking for.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=715772239

If you don't want a static 50 star map this one seeds the map generator so it at least is real-ish.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=937289339

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 7, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Maybe if mega structures had way more steps and smaller cost per step. Like 10 steps for dyson spheres with the first 2 only costing 1000 each, then progressively more expensive. That way the player can feel like its a much longer term project rather than something you set and forget about for 30 years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

I don't think any Megastructure is good enough to requires a one-of limit as long as there's no minerals-producing megastructure.

I think the point is that by making them one only, they can be really good.

Like 1000 power is pretty drat good, as is 750 science. And consider that if you have leviathans, 1000 power is actually 500 minerals, you kind of do have a mineral producing one... To say nothing of selling it to other empires.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Plus who'd want a second Sentry Array?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That's what they said about the Deathstar and look where that got them. Should have just built two from the start.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Improbable Lobster posted:

Plus who'd want a second Sentry Array?

Why build one when you can build two at twice the price?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wiz please introduce separated development and manufacturing costs for my space vessels and megaprojects, so that I can manipulate per unit costs to appease different factions.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

The Bramble posted:

There are ways do to it. Lots of mods have their own custom maps. Star Trek: New Horizons is a good example - the Milky Way always looks the same, and certain empires always show up in certain places, but other things like planet type and size, and minable resources are semi-randomized as well.

Is this something normal people can do or does it require a lot of coding experience?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
God drat it, I was really close to a Federation Victory while chipping away at the last non-awakened empire who wasn't a Fed. (The AE conquered a couple of its neighbors before settling down and now occupies like a third of the galaxy.)

Then I clicked the AE's diplomacy on a whim and... they'll join the federation? gently caress yes let's finish this game! :dance:

...why the gently caress are its planets not being counted under the victory counter?? And now they won't let me declare any more "liberation wars" against the other guy!

Ugh. If I kick them from the Federation are they going to go apeshit? I'm so close to victory!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Azuth0667 posted:

Is this something normal people can do or does it require a lot of coding experience?

I think I saw a modder-created tool that had a GUI for, at least, laying out planets in a solar system. Wouldn't surprise me if there is something similar for galaxy layouts.

Doing it manually is time-consuming but not difficult.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

PittTheElder posted:

It isn't, the three Ascension lines all have tech prereqs (though only the Spiritualist one is rare, the Biological one can be easy to miss due to the tree setup), as does World Shaper.

I didn't count the Ascension Paths, since it makes sense for them to have their prereqs

And I honestly didn't even notice World Shaper had the scuplting prereq cos it's so easy to get. But it still gives you the manipluation tech

Anyway, I should have been clearer when I said "perks", apologies

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

LordMune posted:

I think I saw a modder-created tool that had a GUI for, at least, laying out planets in a solar system. Wouldn't surprise me if there is something similar for galaxy layouts.

Doing it manually is time-consuming but not difficult.

I don't have time to look for it until later, do you have a link?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Lum_ posted:

This is a good mod that is a static map of 50 stars in our general area somewhat accurately placed. Proabably close to what you were looking for.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=715772239

If you don't want a static 50 star map this one seeds the map generator so it at least is real-ish.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=937289339

These are awesome. Thanks!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The problem with creating your own maps with the GUI editor is that the actual texture of the galaxy is basically static, and fills out in game in areas where stars are spawned. It's a bitch to align if you're going for a shape that isn't the default spiral.

As for where to get it, there's a thread about it on the Paradox forums somewhere. Last I had checked the editor hadn't been updated and needed some tinkering to get working correctly.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I haven't played Stellaris since maybe patch 1.5 or so... have they resolved the following scenario? I remember playing as some sort of benevolent federation-like empire and was waging war against fanatical genociders. My peacekeepers successfully invaded some planets with ongoing mass murder of either my own or an allied species. Yet, since the war wasn't over and I was simply occupying the planet, the genocide appeared to be continuing, since we weren't changing any species/population policies! Which poses a real issue. Were my soldiers like "we'd love to save you from the genocide but what matters now is the rule of law. You all need to wait for the conclusion of negotiations in 1-3 years"? Or worse, were my soldiers carrying out the genocide since they were running the planet?

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 8, 2017

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Azuth0667 posted:

I know what you're saying but coders are normal people as well you know. :P:

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

HiKaizer posted:

I don't know what's worse, the lying to us or the lying to yourself.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

HiKaizer posted:

I don't know I ventured into YOSPOS once ;).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_szIl97S33Y

Synthetic Dawn feature stream.

We're finally seeing some more robot-portraits. :allears: Avain angelbots, molluscoid flying bubble bots, there's something for everyone!.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Libluini posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_szIl97S33Y

Synthetic Dawn feature stream.

We're finally seeing some more robot-portraits. :allears: Avain angelbots, molluscoid flying bubble bots, there's something for everyone!.

Oh boy that better be mod-accessible, I have a bunch of portraits to dump into that group. Also: I hope they fix that thing where you can no longer add portraits to pre-existing groups, because THAT'S pretty annoying!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Then I clicked the AE's diplomacy on a whim and... they'll join the federation? gently caress yes let's finish this game! :dance:

...why the gently caress are its planets not being counted under the victory counter??

Is this something I should expect, or is this a game bug?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

So are they still being cagey about that sleeping face thing they keep flickering onto the Synthetic Dawn videos?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

wiegieman posted:

So are they still being cagey about that sleeping face thing they keep flickering onto the Synthetic Dawn videos?

thats probably the reworked AI crisis

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dog Kisser posted:

Oh boy that better be mod-accessible, I have a bunch of portraits to dump into that group. Also: I hope they fix that thing where you can no longer add portraits to pre-existing groups, because THAT'S pretty annoying!
You can mod in robo portraits even without the dlc. I thought of your work when I heard that. Looking forward to actually being able to use all your crazy robots.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

The what?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Is this something I should expect, or is this a game bug?

It's almost certainly a game bug. People have run into all kinds of issues doing anything diplomacy-related with AEs, it's an utter mess. There's a ton of special-case behaviors surrounding AEs and diplomatic interactions, and since AEs are fairly unlikely to engage in normal diplomacy, some aspects of the game like to assume that any AE diplomacy automatically falls into the related special-case.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Libluini posted:

The what?

The this:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Blorg Forerunners you say? :thunk:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Certain synthetic empires can plug organic pops into the Matrix and harvest them for energy. It was in one of the earlier dev diaries.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Oh, that one. I thought I missed something for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Crazycryodude posted:

Certain synthetic empires can plug organic pops into the Matrix and harvest them for energy. It was in one of the earlier dev diaries.

Are we talking Matrix style harvesting chemical energy from regular humans (cause that's dumb), or Babylon 5 style exploiting another species telepaths cause they don't have any (cause that's awesome)?

Would be cool as a way for non-organics to access the shroud.

• Locked thread