Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I swear to loving Christ the whole concept of he-sheds and she-sheds and man caves and whatever the gently caress are the most goddamn ridiculous things ever. Even the loving NAMES make me want to puke. "She-shed." Are you loving kidding me? "I need a place with fairy lights and and big fluffy floor poufs and organza covering every square inch of surface, just like the playhouse I always wanted growing up but never got." It's like, you don't have enough room in that 4,000-sq ft McMansion to get the hell away from each other for a while, so you've gotta go build some poo poo out in the backyard? Jesus tits, could people get any more loving bourgeois?

Here's an idea: buy a goddamn house with spaces you'll actually loving USE, instead of some oversized monstrosity that looks real pretty for a fake French villa but is absolutely inconvenient for however it is you want to live.

The absolute loving WASTE and GODDAMN WRETCHED EXCESS that is real estate in America drives me up the loving wall.

Same

I'm having to downsize from a 2br apartment to a 1br apartment and there's people with 5,000 sqft houses remodeling their sheds because they just don't have any space in their monster houses that they feel is their own or comfortable. Sure we got a 6br house and 3 kids but we NEED 1 room to be a "guest bedroom" for the 2 days a year my mother in law visits. Sure the kids each have their own full size room but we also need one of the bedrooms to be a play room because they have too many toys to just play in their rooms and all the magazines show upper middle class people having play rooms. We have our "great room" with double height ceilings and a huge TV but the kids are always in there and it's in the middle of the house so you can't watch or do anything there without disturbing other people or getting disturbed. The dining room which we don't really use obviously can't go because mother in law is served dinner there on the 2 days a year she visits and sometimes we have christmas dinner there. The little den has turned into the home office and my wife's craft space. The 3 car garage has 2 cars and a ton of junk because our kids need an entire garage worth of seasonal yard toys and supplies and 20 bikes each and I'm a man so obviously I have a quad or a dirt bike or a little motor boat buried in there, probably under the unused camping supplies. My wife is in charge of our bedroom and ensuite which are both huge despite us spending very little time there. The basement has a little den but that's where our pre-teen son plays his video games now that he's outgrown the playroom. We had to move him down there so he'd stop monopolizing the living room TV and I read in a parenting magazine he shouldn't have his video games and TV in his own room and kids gotta come first. So, I guess I need to build a little out-building in the back yard to be my manshed because within these 5,000 square feet I don't have a single calm safe space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
No home gym? No yoga/meditation space? What kind of fictional rich people have you created?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I thought I needed to move for more space until I finally got furniture that actually has storage and lots of functions

Ask me about having two 5' x 3' clothes closets and a small wall of cabinetry worth of storage in a 750 sq ft space.

I do have a cellar but it feels like a murder dungeon and hard to access.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So we're moving into a nice little place. From our 900ish sqft 2br into a 850sqft ish 1br. The problem is that the rooms are weird and because the unit has 3 sides of exposure there's windows everywhere.

The living room is a huge challenge because every wall is either windows, doors, fireplace, or wasted space where the stupid useless french doors to the tiny dining area are need to swing. But it's big, it's about 14x18

The bedroom is a bit small, only about 11x12.

The kitchen is a bit aged, it doesn't show well in the picture but most everything other than the fridge and stove haven't been updated since the 30's. Drawers just sliding (very poorly) on wood, and tons of little corners and gaps for UNCLEANNESS to get into. Also yes that's a huge mirror in the kitchen???

Bathroom is... ok. I'm never a fan of exposed dirty pipes and valves.

We're really struggling to figure out how to correctly use all the space, especially given our existing furniture. Also this new landlord will actually let us paint and screw things into walls!! Just from these pictures does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'm thinking of trying to install some proper modern slides for the kitchen drawers but mostly this whole place while charming feels slightly run down along the edges and I want to undo that.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 7, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Fwiw my place is 110 sq. M which is about 600 sq. Feet which is why I'm looking to use the outbuildings I have available, sorry.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Fwiw my place is 110 sq. M which is about 600 sq. Feet which is why I'm looking to use the outbuildings I have available, sorry.

You monster!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think you're gonna regret the project that will result if you try to retrofit drawer glides into 1930s cabinetry. You can grease the rails with a bar of soap and they should run somewhat better for like 1% of the effort.

For the bathroom, look up skirt sinks. If you like the look, you can go with that. If you want to invest more, you can build a cabinet under/around it.

Can you post a floorplan? There are some things you could do with the living room, but it depends which doors are what.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I think you're gonna regret the project that will result if you try to retrofit drawer glides into 1930s cabinetry. You can grease the rails with a bar of soap and they should run somewhat better for like 1% of the effort.

Use beeswax. It works way better than soap.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Indolent Bastard posted:

No home gym? No yoga/meditation space? What kind of fictional rich people have you created?

The people in that post aren't culturally rich, only economically richer-than-most. The yoga/meditation space people are way way richer than that.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Use beeswax. It works way better than soap.

I have the same kind of cabinets and if you want to take on more of a project you can gently sand the bottoms of the drawers to get rid of any lumps of paint that might be catching. There's almost certainly lead in the bottom few layers of paint though so follow the proper guidelines for protection and dust removal.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Baronjutter posted:

So we're moving into a nice little place. From our 900ish sqft 2br into a 850sqft ish 1br. The problem is that the rooms are weird and because the unit has 3 sides of exposure there's windows everywhere.

The living room is a huge challenge because every wall is either windows, doors, fireplace, or wasted space where the stupid useless french doors to the tiny dining area are need to swing. But it's big, it's about 14x18

The bedroom is a bit small, only about 11x12.

The kitchen is a bit aged, it doesn't show well in the picture but most everything other than the fridge and stove haven't been updated since the 30's. Drawers just sliding (very poorly) on wood, and tons of little corners and gaps for UNCLEANNESS to get into. Also yes that's a huge mirror in the kitchen???

We're really struggling to figure out how to correctly use all the space, especially given our existing furniture. Also this new landlord will actually let us paint and screw things into walls!! Just from these pictures does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'm thinking of trying to install some proper modern slides for the kitchen drawers but mostly this whole place while charming feels slightly run down along the edges and I want to undo that.

Float a thin couch (I'd do a slim fainting couch) and some chairs around the fireplace, keep things off the walls.

If you have to do wall things, remove the doors.

Leave most of the room open as negative space.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 7, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bathroom tile is kawaii af.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

peanut posted:

Bathroom tile is kawaii af.

Sanitary bathrooms = best bathrooms 100% of the time.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Looks like someone didn't know when to stop building:

https://twitter.com/davidcrespo/status/905858942579900417

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Call in an Arc Light strike on that shithole.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I swear to loving Christ the whole concept of he-sheds and she-sheds and man caves and whatever the gently caress are the most goddamn ridiculous things ever. Even the loving NAMES make me want to puke. "She-shed." Are you loving kidding me? "I need a place with fairy lights and and big fluffy floor poufs and organza covering every square inch of surface, just like the playhouse I always wanted growing up but never got." It's like, you don't have enough room in that 4,000-sq ft McMansion to get the hell away from each other for a while, so you've gotta go build some poo poo out in the backyard? Jesus tits, could people get any more loving bourgeois?

Here's an idea: buy a goddamn house with spaces you'll actually loving USE, instead of some oversized monstrosity that looks real pretty for a fake French villa but is absolutely inconvenient for however it is you want to live.

The absolute loving WASTE and GODDAMN WRETCHED EXCESS that is real estate in America drives me up the loving wall.

Man Caves never made any sense at all to me, until at a party once someone brought up

Football

Then I was like oooooh right ok yeah if my partner wanted to sit and yell at the tv for 8 straight hours every Saturday, I'd kick them out of the living room first chance I got.

Still prime americanwaste.txt of course

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eh, houses used to have a rumpus room for the kids to watch tv or play ping pong or whatever. Today's kids can watch TV and play flappy bird on their phones in their bedrooms. Now dad gets to convert the old rumpus room into a man cave to watch TV or play ping pong.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

But see, real estate is an investment, so you want the biggest most expensive house you can afford so your investment appreciates more. It's okay, all the garbage you buy to make it feel less vacant and pointless stimulates the economy, so we all win!

That and developers get bigger profits from selling bigger houses, so that's all they're going to build unless/until homebuyers suddenly hate giant houses.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

It is a like a catalog of every single expensive feature you can put on a house. 17,000sqft for a vacation home--yowza. No interior shots though. :(

From the article: The photos prove something that my father used to say: “Money can’t buy good taste.”

Did not realize the DeVos fortune was from Amway. Figures she comes from pyramid scheme money.

Hey, at least she wiggled out of paying school taxes on the property.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
That first picture looks like someone just decided to stick a bunch of mismatched windows into a mound of gravel.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Parasol Prophet posted:

That first picture looks like someone just decided to stick a bunch of mismatched windows into a mound of gravel.

grover???

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

HycoCam posted:

It is a like a catalog of every single expensive feature you can put on a house. 17,000sqft for a vacation home--yowza. No interior shots though. :(

From the article: The photos prove something that my father used to say: “Money can’t buy good taste.”

Did not realize the DeVos fortune was from Amway. Figures she comes from pyramid scheme money.

Hey, at least she wiggled out of paying school taxes on the property.

Ugh. Well, the best I can say for it is that at least there appears to be an angle where it appears symmetric rather than completely random.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have large dark blue tiled floors and I'm shopping for a sofa and area rug. Is it ok to get a dark gray sofa and a light colored rug to put under/in front of it to give it some contrast? I'm not really good with colors.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have large dark blue tiled floors and I'm shopping for a sofa and area rug. Is it ok to get a dark gray sofa and a light colored rug to put under/in front of it to give it some contrast? I'm not really good with colors.

Yes, as long as the couch and floor are visually distinct. I have dark wood floors and a light rug, with a black leather chair with a walnut frame on it. Works fine.

Depending on setup you might even just match the rug and couch, especially if it sits over it.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

This house is very charming, the cabinetry in the kitchen is indeed original. Like the other posters have mentioned, you'll want to sand down the wooden slides and wax them (i prefer paraffin to beeswax though) since it would be a shame for a renter to come in and screw up 75 year old cabinets by trying to hack in drawer slides.

"Dirty" valves and pipes can be cleaned easily, and it should be easy enough to find storage solutions like this:

The living room is tough- is the wall facing the fireplace long enough to fit a sofa and accommodate foot traffic? Could you keep the french door closest to the center of the room closed and steal that space for furniture placement? I would opt for a sofa and a couple of chairs, or a sofa and a small settee.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'd still float the furniture. Unless you have some gigantic-rear end couches it can work and it gives you a clean line of movement through the room.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Landlord says we can get rid of the french doors, that makes things much easier.
Here's the plan based on using all our existing furniture. Wife liked the idea of using our double sided book shelf that steps down along the length to sort of divide off a little reading nook in the corner .

The weird little closet in the bottom right used to be the area where a murphy bed would close into! People just use them as tiny walk-in storage now though, some people even set up an "office" in there but I spend most of my time at home on the computer and don't want to be sent away to some windowless cube.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 8, 2017

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Windowless cube room, or...... customized Wankin' Station?!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Cocks Box?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Look at this awesome modernist home. Just look at it.

I'm even okay with the updated features (looks like the bathroom/s and the kitchen) because they flow so well with the original feel of the house.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 8, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I dig that.

Here's a John Randal McDonald beauty that sold for just $210k earlier this year

He called it "a natural house for people to be natural in"

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I just sent that John Randal McDonald link to my husband and he texted me back asking if I was trying to seduce him

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

value-brand cereal posted:

Windowless cube room, or...... customized Wankin' Station?!

what, your house doesn't have a Crank Tank?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

He called it "a natural house for people to be natural in"

That explains the three giant ffffffffffuckin' couches.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:wtc:

$210K for that palace? Are property values that bad in Racine? A bland rectangular drywall crackerbox on the cheap side of a far-west suburb of Chicago goes for about $250K-ish at an absolute minimum.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

whalesteak posted:

This house is very charming, the cabinetry in the kitchen is indeed original. Like the other posters have mentioned, you'll want to sand down the wooden slides and wax them (i prefer paraffin to beeswax though) since it would be a shame for a renter to come in and screw up 75 year old cabinets by trying to hack in drawer slides.

Previous owners for my place have done this and done a good job most of the places but there are still areas where they haven't sanded all the paint off in the very edges and corners. Do I need to strip the whole area of wax and sand it then recoat, or can I patch/iterate on areas as I find them?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

That explains the three giant ffffffffffuckin' couches.
Three giant loving couches or three giant loving-couches?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

yes

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

:swoon:
Ohmygod, I think I just came. Holy poo poo.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

what, your house doesn't have a Crank Tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I gotta say, if you have a smaller or crowded home, and the land to place it, plopping a nice shed down and finishing it out as an office or gym or whatever is going to be a lot cheaper then building a small addition on to the house.

Metal Building Supply and other suppliers have nice sheds that are made for finishing.