Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

October 1st episode will be Luffy asking Sanji to come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Aren't the anime and the Japanese manga both currently on the Whole Cake Island arc at the moment?

yeah but one's at the beginning and the other is wrapping things up

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It seems that the English manga is 10 months behind the Japanese manga going by volume releases. Is that accurate?

EmmyOk posted:

I checked the wiki and the last volume is probably at the same point roughly but obviously since then there's more episodes and I'm not sure when the next volume is out. Once you catch up on the manga you can by WSJ on the VIZ website each week for a euro/dollar and it's legally translated and yours forever. The only problem is they only do about three months of back issues or back issues for whatever time you had a subscription (you can by the issue each week without one). When you buy an issue you have it forever not just three months of course. The problem therfore is that where the published volumes and online issues have a gap between them and there's no legal way to read one piece in English and that gap never diminishes just moves a long as the series does. i.e. if it's a 30 chapter gap that gap will remain constant as each releases effectively

Thanks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the anime also does random filler episodes in the middle of arcs, these are just specials which aren't related to the arc at all.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

One Piece waits between arcs for the filler arcs, you're thinking Naruto, Bleach, ect

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Pretty sure they're referring to the Chopperman and Boss-Luffy type specials, though I don't think they really do those anymore.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Julias posted:

Pretty sure they're referring to the Chopperman and Boss-Luffy type specials, though I don't think they really do those anymore.

There were also a few crossover episodes with other animes (such as Toriko and Dragon Ball Super) that aired in the middle of story arcs as well.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

It seems that the English manga is 10 months behind the Japanese manga going by volume releases. Is that accurate?

Thanks.

Once you catch up on the volume releases and then cross the gap to wear the legal translations are available online you'll be able to read One Piece every week legally translated and build up a library. Also as it's the whole magazine each week any other series you regularly follow are there too :)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Julias posted:

yeah that's what i was referring to. there were specials, especially around holidays? iirc that interrupted the flow of a few arcs.

it seems like all the specials air independently of the actual anime now tho.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

EmmyOk posted:

Once you catch up on the volume releases and then cross the gap to wear the legal translations are available online you'll be able to read One Piece every week legally translated and build up a library. Also as it's the whole magazine each week any other series you regularly follow are there too :)

Thanks. :)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

anime was right posted:

yeah that's what i was referring to. there were specials, especially around holidays? iirc that interrupted the flow of a few arcs.

it seems like all the specials air independently of the actual anime now tho.

I know the original chopperman and boss luffy stuff was during Enis Lobby, because they were dangerously close to catching up to the manga, yeah.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

that also explains the individual flashback episode for each crew member just after they appear before Robin and jump down.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Julias posted:

I know the original chopperman and boss luffy stuff was during Enis Lobby, because they were dangerously close to catching up to the manga, yeah.

Thats amazing, the anime took a two year break after Skypeia and it caught up that quickly

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
??? The anime has been running in the same time slot without a break since October 1999.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's amazing that they've never resorted to Naruto/Bleach-style 30 episode filler arcs, considering how much padding they need just to stay behind the manga.

Of course they could solve this by going to a seasonal format, but that would require the anime fans to stop gobbling down liquid slurry each week and asking for seconds.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
They should really just switch to making a One Piece Kai in that slot already. Episode of East Blue shows that they can remake the old stuff with better animation if they want to. If they're concerned that they would be failing to promote the current manga, they could just do one episode a month of new material and three episodes of the remake. There would be no need for padding, since 4 new chapters would be released for each 1 new episode.

Edit: But again, this won't happen as long as people continue to watch the anime as it currently is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's amazing that they've never resorted to Naruto/Bleach-style 30 episode filler arcs, considering how much padding they need just to stay behind the manga.

Of course they could solve this by going to a seasonal format, but that would require the anime fans to stop gobbling down liquid slurry each week and asking for seconds.

It's probably too late now as the best time to go to a second season would most likely have been at the start of the timeskip and ending the original series after Episode 516.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

one piece kai would just be current one piece with new editing to cut down on the bullshit wouldn't it. wouldn't fix everything

it'd be cool if they just remade the whole thing from scratch near the end of the series. hell, they could go from the end of the anime straight into the upgraded version to keep their timeslot

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

a Hunter X Hunter style anime remake is the ideal scenario but that's probably not going to happen for a very very very long time.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If I remember, it's less of a problem of anime fans putting up with the current form the anime has taken and more the fact that if Toei stopped for even one cour, they'd lose the timeslot One Piece is in, and it's a really good one. Toei needs a better deal with TV stations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Zou, aka Elephant Rock, Iceland.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-09-07/3-arrested-for-posting-one-piece-manga-scans-before-publication/.121028

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I had not idea there was so much money on the scanning-end of scanlation.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
a billion shifty ad banners and a ton of traffic adds up i guess

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mr. Fowl posted:

having earliest access to shounen jump essentially means everyone visits your website when the scans go up, and that means you get all the ad revenue. if the arrests are correct, i would assume these are the people responsible for mangastream and jamini's box early copies (or maybe china's or korea's early copies, hard to say), meaning we're probably going to see the comic show up somewhere around friday-monday depending on our luck.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also keep in mind: these are for not just one piece, but every single weekly manga in shounen jump, including hxh, mha, etc.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The article says some shops sell the magazine early so surely those are the problem?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

EmmyOk posted:

The article says some shops sell the magazine early so surely those are the problem?

i mean, those are legitimate copies being sold under shady terms. these people are the distribution network for the scanlation sites it seems. in addition, a lot of these shops that sell the copies early have actually been people stealing copies from before they legally went on sale by being in some sort of middleman situation -- even during shipment. this is how we end up with spoilers up to two days before the scans and how we had wednesday releases for a while.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fowl posted:

There's a ton of money being made on illegal manga and anime sharing sites, most of which is leeching money off the people who actually do the work, including translation teams. Think MangaStream gets a cut every time their translation shows up on KissManga? Naturally they gets their scans from one of these guys in Japan posting early releases, who are also profiting from Japanese readers wanting to read free manga.

It's a pretty big spiral of thieves profiting on the backs of creators, both legit and questionable.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Subscribing for a year of english WSJ is pretty cheap.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

mabels big day posted:

But no one should read the Wall Str... oh wait.

The real issue is timing. I'd be totally fine just reading the official English release... except the whole online community will have already been talking about it for a week by the time I get it because of all the early release leaks. If there was a legit crackdown on leaks that stuck and early releases were no more, that'd be a legitimately good thing.

I remember this happening a number of times already so I fully expect the real implication will be just a few weeks of Friday releases before things go back to what they were.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hey quick geography question, reverse mountain is the entrance to the grand line, is mariejois on the opposite side of the world?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Hey quick geography question, reverse mountain is the entrance to the grand line, is mariejois on the opposite side of the world?

Yeah. And the end of the Grand Line is on the other side of Reverse Mountain.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yup. We don't know a whole lot about the geography of the other side of the mountain at the end of the grand line, but there must be a reason no one has been able to check things out from the other direction.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it'd be interesting to discover that the one piece planet is not actually a sphere

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mabels big day posted:

yeah i get a yearly sub when i remember, i feel like the ppl putting effort into making official translations and stuff deserve the money

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Regy Rusty posted:

Yup. We don't know a whole lot about the geography of the other side of the mountain at the end of the grand line, but there must be a reason no one has been able to check things out from the other direction.

Yeah that was what I was curious about. So the Straw Hats started on the side of the world that contains the "New World" half of the Grand Line right? Very mysterious!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yeah that was what I was curious about. So the Straw Hats started on the side of the world that contains the "New World" half of the Grand Line right? Very mysterious!

They didn't actually. The reverse mountain has four entrances from each of the four oceans that all lead to the start of the grand line. East Blue and South Blue border the first half of the grand line, while North Blue and West Blue border the new world.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

anime was right posted:

yeah i get a yearly sub when i remember, i feel like the ppl putting effort into making official translations and stuff deserve the money

It's basically always worth it in the US, since you get 4 Yu-Gi-Oh! Promo cards, and sometimes those can sell for mad cash.

This is the most recent one, for example:

:signings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

it'd be interesting to discover that the one piece planet is not actually a sphere

We've seen a globe in the libary on Robin's island