Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
those things were known as complete shitheaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

jamal posted:

Could be a broken CV.

You know, that does match what I was feeling... it felt like it was Left Front...

The boots looked fine. How do you diagnose to find out if that is it?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seminal Flu posted:

You know, that does match what I was feeling... it felt like it was Left Front...

if it's anything like mine, you replace it and hope that was it

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Seminal Flu posted:

See if you can grab it and move it outside of the normal plane of CV motion. In-out, and up-down left-right perpendicular to its normal rotation. There should be effectively none in any of those directions. If it was me, and I was suspect of that component I'd pull it right quick and check it out.

e: post #3 here is your instructions, apparently.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1940274-front-axle-removal.html

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

The Door Frame posted:

Why not live in a hot place with near by mountains? Get snow on demand!

This.
Wife wanted to move from AK because it was too cold, I grew up in Vermont so I didn't know any better. She's from the RDU - NC area, too fuckign hot and flat there. Asheville = perfect.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol have you never experienced it? Be careful what you wish for :v:

Yeah, I've been up where it snows and gets cold before, and it was fantastic. I know a lot of people don't like it, but I can deal with cold far better than I can heat.

Like, I don't think anyone who's never been to the south can understand how bad heat + humidity is. You don't sweat. It gets so sticky outside it just doesn't evaporate, so you just end up a sticky mess. And you will start getting soaked like the second you walk out the door.

At least with the cold you can layer up. In the heat you can't take much off.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Florida weather sounds p.good actually. Cold loving sucks - A bit of heat and humidity aint no problem.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Florida weather sounds p.good actually. Cold loving sucks - A bit of heat and humidity aint no problem.

Florida weather is basically the same as Perth or maybe more like Sydney, whichever is more humid

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

Holy poo poo. I don't get scared driving cars, I'm pretty much comfortable with anything they do or can do. And I just got scared driving my neighbor's '98 ML320.

He stopped me as I was mowing and said that he had a "rattle" and wanted me to look at it. He just had the catalytic convertors replaced, so I said it was probably a heat shield rattling after heat cycling a couple times. He left the keys and I took it out.

It felt normal and I didn't know wtf he was talking about, then I got to ~45 and all of a sudden there was a shudder/CLUNKCLUNK the shook and thudded through the whole car. It felt like a major corner of the suspension collapsed. I babied it home, checked out all four corners and didn't see anything.

I took it out again, putting it in low range first, and didn't see anything. Then I put it back in normal range and it did it again. Wow.

Looks like something either in the front differential, transfer case or transmission, but gently caress, that's bad.
Do they have part time 4x4 with auto-locking front hubs? That's exactly what I've felt those do if they're half disengaged one side.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh, the humidity is definitely a problem. I can tolerate heat. What I hate is, as Sims said, being completely drenched to no effect. I mean literally dripping wet with sweat, clothes completely soaked. That happens here in Dallas. I can't imagine Florida. Actually, I kind of can. I used to live in Victoria, TX when I was in middle school. That's 30 miles from the Gulf Coast (and was pretty much directly in the path of Harvey, BTW.) Going outside in summer was like walking into a literal sauna. It was nice being a half hour-45 minutes from a beach, though.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Welp. Got my windows boarded up. At first I was thinking it was kind of a waste of time, but now the storm is tracking West again. :ohdear:

Also, Plywood is heavy, at least when you're trying to balance it on a windowsill and drive tapcons in.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Apartment management says no boarding, and my mom has a gas stove, so I may head over there if the storm crosses Orlando significantly.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I would start making an exit strategy. Latest Euro models seem to show it shifting west and going more or less right down the middle of the state.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ExplodingSims posted:

I would start making an exit strategy. Latest Euro models seem to show it shifting west and going more or less right down the middle of the state.

Faaaaantastic, sports fans!

Should we look at evacuating altogether? We sat out Charley, but that storm blew through pretty quick.

E: Mom's place is concrete block outer walls, so it's plenty sturdy.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 7, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The severe devastating winds are maybe a 50 mile diameter at best. The further out of the center the less of a big deal, and the center is forecast to go over Miami north.

This is why everyone is freaking out because they don't understand how a hurricane works.

No. Do not advise people to plan a vacation near a 400 mile wide Hurricane. Its not a Tornado, and the damage is not localized. The damaging winds (75-100+ Knots) are spread over nearly a 60 mile diameter that is going to sweep right along and into the keys before scooting along the Florida coast.

Followed by Jose who is currently modeled to do a loop and hit the keys as well.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 7, 2017

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

The severe devastating winds are maybe a 50 mile diameter at best.

CommieGIR posted:

The damaging winds (75-100+ Knots) are spread over nearly a 60 mile diameter

You're having an argument over something you basically agree on.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Stolen from the GBS Irma thread:

South Florida Gonna get wrecked.

Also, having no natural light in the house is really weird. I have achieved maximum gooncave.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Dagen H posted:

Not really, he's trying to point out that the +300 miles of hurricane are still dangerous, and there's at least one other hurricane following immediately after

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status...er%3D25%23pti11

The Keys are not going to be safe, at least according to current models.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, my dad's staying in Melbourne; yesterday I'd have chewed him out, but with the tracks consistently shifting west he's probably fine.

Mom in Longwood won't leave, mainly because her mom won't/can't leave.

That leaves my sisters and niece, I dunno how they feel about packing up and leaving this suddenly. Plus with the traffic already on all routes, it's at least a day or two to get out of the state.

If it was just me I'd throw some clothes in the car and GTFO, but as things are idk if I'd feel good leaving them all there.

I'm honestly scared of this storm, guys. Just got a bad gut feeling.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Florida weather is basically the same as Perth or maybe more like Sydney, whichever is more humid

Brisbane is humid as gently caress, Perth usually has dry summers.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

You Am I posted:

Brisbane is humid as gently caress, Perth usually has dry summers.

Ah that makes more sense. The only thing I remember about Brisbane is muddy beaches

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So, uh, I should probably cancel my Miami trip in early October, eh?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

On the plus side, maybe we'll finally have something strong enough to take out the I4 Eyesore.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

I had to Google it, and found this:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

monsterzero posted:

$3500 is crazy. I have a 2001 1500 with a 4l60e had it rebuilt with a 3yr/50k warranty for $2250 last month. I don't know what the extra 5 is but it seems fishy that it's twice as much to rebuild.

I called around to 7 different shops today. I found one that sounds like they do the same build as Monster for $1500 if I pull it or $2100 they pull it, 3 year 36,000mi warranty too. $3000-4000 is insane when a new GM Performance 4L65E is $2700 shipped, even with labor cost. I was originally going to find a junkyard transmission but saw that they were all over $700 around here. My plan for the truck is going to be a daily driver and sometimes tow my spec miata. I'm figuring under 4000lb towing weight with the trailer I'm going to build over the winter.

Also looked up that I4 eyesore building, god drat is that ugly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

No. Do not advise people to plan a vacation near a 400 mile wide Hurricane.

Lol don't be daft I never said he should go on vacation near a drat hurricane. He couldn't if he wanted to, mandatory evacs.

I was saying the Keys won't be destroyed and by Dec when he was taking his vacation it will be fine.

That's assuming it stays on the east bound track.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I was saying the Keys won't be destroyed and by Dec when he was taking his vacation it will be fine.

EUR is saying it's going right over the Keys. Irma's most likely going to wipe them clean.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Perth is not humid. It feels terrible here if it ever gets to 60%rh, which is hardly ever. If we get a north/nne wind and there's a cyclone up north it can get above 50% rH.
But most of our hot air comes from the central deserts and outback east. Half the houses have evaporative a/c, which wouldn't be so common if we had humid weather on the regular.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 8, 2017

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I was woken up last night by what sounded like a timeless, interdimensional demon reaving souls in my neighborhood. In my 3/4 asleep state, I wrote it off as some drunk guys in a P85D because it sounded like vicious rolling burnouts with no engine noise :v:
It continued on for ~15mins, slowly growing fainter in the distance and I vaguely wondered who the gently caress was temping police fate that long.

Today I was curious, and drove around the neighborhood to find a complete lack of fresh tire marks. After spending some time on youtube listening to nocturnal animal sounds, it would appear I have a local mountain lion :kimchi:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

EUR is saying it's going right over the Keys. Irma's most likely going to wipe them clean.

The Keys are a very long stretch of islands 100 miles long, Key west and the bigger islands are to the west of the predicted landfall. Most of the keys should be relatively fine if the track stays more to the east like it has been. If not then yeah it could be bad, but the track hasn't shown significant movement to the west yet.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Keys are a very long stretch of islands 100 miles long, Key west and the bigger islands are to the west of the predicted landfall. Most of the keys should be relatively fine if the track stays more to the east like it has been. If not then yeah it could be bad, but the track hasn't shown significant movement to the west yet.

And the hurricane force windfield has grown with the latest EWRC, let alone the storm surge - anything 100kms of the centre is going to be hosed, anything 160kms is going to get a pounding and the centre is projected to go over Key Largo.

Suggesting that idiot can holiday anywhere in the Keys is just the extreme of optimism that isnt backed by the severe belting Irma has given anything in it's path so far

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Suggesting that idiot can holiday anywhere in the

Unnecessary namecalling. Grow up.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

scuz posted:

Born in Minneapolis, live in Minneapolis, never moving from Minneapolis.

"The cold keeps the bad people out." ~Prince

Same but a few hours south. I lived in Texas for a few years, and gently caress Texas. I'll take six months of snow over unrelenting miserable humid heat any day.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Unnecessary namecalling. Grow up.

Just process everything he says as read by Paul Hogan, and it's instantly much less confrontational and also funnier.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Irma is currently modeled to envelop the keys. So no.

There's pessimism, and then there is unwarranted optimism in the face of a record shattering hurricane.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I don't know if you've been paying attention to the tracks but Irma is not staying east. Not staying east and giving the Tampa area a real hard dunk. Things can change, of course, but things look very bad right now for the whole state. Especially unprepared Tampa type areas.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Irma is currently modeled to envelop the keys. So no.

There's pessimism, and then there is unwarranted optimism in the face of a record shattering hurricane.

Let alone just finished the EWRC intact and grew quite a deal bigger (The eye itself is 56kms in diameter), is clearly starting to spin up again and about to cruise into 32C+ water. The only hope the Keys have especially with the jogging west is that Cuba does some damage to Irma and brings it down to a cat 3.... which wont matter as the storm surge will still be Cat 5 height and power.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
The highest point in Key West is 18.05 feet above sea level, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife's stubborn mother lives in Palm Coast and she refused to come stay with us for the duration of the storm. "I'll be fine" she says, without a care in the world. I hope she's right.

• Locked thread