Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Cuckoo's Calling series review - some pretty huge fail. Felt like the writing was deliberately taking the piss half the time, with the actors in on the joke. The secretary is a belter, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I keep reading tweets from people saying how good it is but after an episode and a half I was just bored.

The secretary is ace and was in the excellent The Borgias which I'd urge everyone to watch.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I enjoyed the book. The series has felt at times all of the following: rushed, ludicrous, and boring.

I kind of believe in him as Strike. Robin is good. Some of the other characters are decent.

Generally as an adaptation I think it is quite poor.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
The baddie was very obvious - a simpering slytherin style creep from the moment you saw him. Not really sure if that's some direct influence from Rowling.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The main character's mum literally being called "Leda Strike" is one of the most ludicrous things I've ever heard.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 10, 2017

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Rarity posted:

But does she have a sexy voice?

She sounds almost exactly the same as Mary Berry. It's really weird when you look away from the screen and suddenly realise it's Not Mary talking.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

New Taskmaster!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
New Mitchell and Webb sitcom!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yes to both.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Trip report on first ep of new Taskmaster: Good stuff! Seems like they have got a nicely balanced group and obv. Bob Mortimer is the best already.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lemon posted:

New Taskmaster!

First episode was amazing. Aisling Bea is the most amazing person.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lemon posted:

Trip report on first ep of new Taskmaster: Good stuff! Seems like they have got a nicely balanced group and obv. Bob Mortimer is the best already.

Is it the kind of show you can just dive into at the beginning of a season? I've meant to try it for a while without really knowing much about it, and Bob being in this one is encouraging me to just jump in. I'm guessing there's nothing you need to know from before etc.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

No there's no running gags that span seasons so you can start anywhere. All the seasons are on the UKTV/Dave website for free though in case one a week isn't enough.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Anyone want to discuss Doctor Foster?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Also I enjoyed the first episode of Back a lot.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lemon posted:

No there's no running gags that span seasons so you can start anywhere. All the seasons are on the UKTV/Dave website for free though in case one a week isn't enough.

It will probably occur to you after a couple of episodes that all the challenges set outside the studio were all filmed prior to any studio stuff and so have been grouped into episodes after the fact and the competitive aspect is almost meaningless as with most panel shows,

God I wish UKTV would get a PS4 app out.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pissflaps posted:

Also I enjoyed the first episode of Back a lot.

I enjoyed it, cautiously optimistic on that showing. Was a little concerned they were going overboard with the background music in the opening five minutes. That's probably just my brain being broke by defaulting to Peep Show as something to watch all the time.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Pissflaps posted:

Anyone want to discuss Doctor Foster?

The middle aged women in my office?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I want to know how they're going to solve the puddle cliffhanger.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The line about vinyl making a comeback in Back was really good.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

gently caress yeah taskmaster is back.

Also I'm really enjoying Richard Osmans House of Games.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

BizarroAzrael posted:

It will probably occur to you after a couple of episodes that all the challenges set outside the studio were all filmed prior to any studio stuff and so have been grouped into episodes after the fact and the competitive aspect is almost meaningless as with most panel shows,

While it's true that they're all outside of the studio it ISN'T true that the competative aspect is meaningless.
Now they give contestants an overall score at the end of the series so if they've performed well across the programme they still win at the end. I mean it doesn't matter really, but the person who has done best still wins in the end.

So far my vote for worst series of it is still series 3. There wasn't enough variety in people's personalities so it never really took off for me. You need an "outside the box" person like Richard Osman, an arguing guy like Romesh Ranganathan, a poo poo one like Lolly Adefope and a mentalist like Mel Giedroyc in every series or it just doesn't hit.
1, 2 and 4 all had that.

Also. Does anyone know if in Bakeoff they film character moments with everyone but only keep in the bits for people they know will carry on? I assume the blonde white lady who made the bag in the first episode is going to be leaving in an episode or two and I notice we don't get any moments with her. The same goes for the older white loud shirt man who left, we didn't see much of him.
It's almost more of a game to see who they don't bother talking to and guessing when they might go.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pissflaps posted:

The line about vinyl making a comeback in Back was really good.

I think the strengths of all Mitchell and Webb vehicles are Mitchell going apoplectic about something.

Re: Bakeoff that's a good point, I personally find it a lot harder to predict star baker than who is leaving.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I think the strengths of all Mitchell and Webb vehicles are Mitchell going apoplectic about something.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

BSam posted:

Also I'm really enjoying Richard Osmans House of Games.

It's quite the mental workout for a shoes-off, flop-on-the-couch tea-time quiz show, but it's really fun. They got good celebs for the first week, and next week looks pretty good too.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Taskmaster up on the website already?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Episode 1, yeah.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Holliday Grainger in the Cuckoo's Calling thing: phwoar

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

TheHoodedClaw posted:

It's quite the mental workout for a shoes-off, flop-on-the-couch tea-time quiz show, but it's really fun. They got good celebs for the first week, and next week looks pretty good too.

Richard Osman's House of Games is excellent. The quizzes are different and actually fun, me and the wife were actually shouting at the TV.

The answer to one of the questions on Monday was "Amsterdambidextrous" which is just great fun to say.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
House of Games is certainly a lot better than that loving Letterbox show.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Paperhouse posted:

Holliday Grainger in the Cuckoo's Calling thing: phwoar

Yeah I might actually watch the next series even though it was rubbish

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What have reviewers said for Cuckoo's Calling? Is it like Sherlock with people gushing over it despite not being altogether great?

(Disclaimer: Sherlock is one of my favourite sci-fi/fantasy/superhero shows.)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

What have reviewers said for Cuckoo's Calling? Is it like Sherlock with people gushing over it despite not being altogether great?

Sherlock Holmes is not suppose to be any of those genres. Maybe that's its problem.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Sherlock should be the exclusive province of mediocre short stories about colonial anxiety, and nothing else.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Nothing from Doctor Who should touch anything from Sherlock Holmes.

Except for The All Consuming Fire, that was a really good one.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BSam posted:

Nothing from Doctor Who should touch anything from Sherlock Holmes.

Except for The All Consuming Fire, that was a really good one.

I agree that All Consuming Fire should touch both shows

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Wheat Loaf posted:

The writing is loving awful. The main character is a private detective who used to be a military policeman until his leg got blown off in Afghanistan. Why was an MP going out on combat patrol? Who the gently caress knows. Oh, and he's the son of a famous rock star. And his mum was a famous model. Might as well have made him a bloody astronaut too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard that Tom Burke could be in the running to replace Daniel Craig.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Flatscan posted:

The writing is loving awful. The main character is a private detective who used to be a military policeman until his leg got blown off in Afghanistan. Why was an MP going out on combat patrol? Who the gently caress knows. Oh, and he's the son of a famous rock star. And his mum was a famous model. Might as well have made him a bloody astronaut too.

Transit convoys get blown up by IEDs too you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Still, the rest of it does sound like something Alan Partridge would desperately crib out.

Still waiting for that Swallow spin off.