Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

Great Cannons are all about where you aim them - they're not as accurate as Dwarf cannons but do near as much damage when they hit. Try to manually target the middle ranks of an enemy formation to maximize your chances of a good hit. Don't let them waste shots on lords unless those lords are large units.

Helblasters, meanwhile, are possibly the most devastating field gun in the game, but they're not artillery and it's a mistake to treat them as such - rather, they're the unit you hide behind something beefy until the lines meet, and then you wheel it into a flanking position and mulch the entire enemy force in about thirty seconds. Helblasters are insanely good when used well.

Yeah, I think I may have to break from my usual habit of Dwarf grand batteries when it comes to Empire artillery and start learning how to position them on the flanks instead. I don't even need to use artillery to pull the enemy now; I have flying Wizards for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You still want artillery to pull enemies in, but your battle lines are going to be a lot more dynamic. You have some of the best late game cavalry in the game and even before that they are still good enough to get the job done.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah I mean, even just Gelt flying over and tossing a standard Searing Rain at some random enemy unit will get the whole army moving towards your position already. Dwarfs can actually do the same with Gyrocopters and Gyrobombers. I guess I'll have to experiment to figure out if Helblasters or Great Cannons are a better fit for my compositions.

Yeah, Dwarfs using grand batteries work out well mostly because they have no choice but to run a compact line. Having actual cavalry wings means I should actually be more confident at running artillery pieces on my flanks.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Don't forget that certain province capitals (Middenheim and Talabheim I think?) have unique cavalry buildings which make reiksguard or otherwise elite empire cavalry cheaper and higher veterancy, and may even provide unique cavalry units (been a while since I played Empire).

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
oh, neat, missed that the Loremasters of Hoeth were a hero option

the Loremasters are interesting; fluffwise they're mages who don't bother with any kind of combat magics, instead working on far more subtle, long-lasting enchantments with zero battlefield applications. that said, if they HAVE to fight, they can still brute-force any one of the eight 'signature spells,' the ones a mage of fire/light/life/metal/shadow/death/heavens/beasts starts off with.

also, as graduated Swordmasters, they're both capable and willing to swing around a greatsword and heavy armor while doing so.

the story of Teclis' life does a dramatic U-turn when the Loremasters get ahold of him and start poking him, asking "how the gently caress did you survive to the age of majority, a stiff breeze not only could have taken you out it should have."

the following montage consists of equal parts WIELDING PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER and convincing him to do enough bicep curls to be able to lift his loving staff unaided

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

rockopete posted:

Don't forget that certain province capitals (Middenheim and Talabheim I think?) have unique cavalry buildings which make reiksguard or otherwise elite empire cavalry cheaper and higher veterancy, and may even provide unique cavalry units (been a while since I played Empire).

Talabheim for Knights of the Blazing Sun, which are less tanky but more powerful on the charge and have flaming weapons and vanguard compared to Reiksguard. SFO adds the Knights Panther in Middenland regions I think, which offer another alternative to Reiksguard in the form of similarly less armored knights that also lose a chunk of charge bonus in exchange for AP damage, minor splash attacks, and a bonus against infantry.

I still prefer the sheer resilience of Reiksguard though, and Demigryphs once you can pay their brutal upkeep.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ze Pollack posted:

oh, neat, missed that the Loremasters of Hoeth were a hero option

the Loremasters are interesting; fluffwise they're mages who don't bother with any kind of combat magics, instead working on far more subtle, long-lasting enchantments with zero battlefield applications. that said, if they HAVE to fight, they can still brute-force any one of the eight 'signature spells,' the ones a mage of fire/light/life/metal/shadow/death/heavens/beasts starts off with.

also, as graduated Swordmasters, they're both capable and willing to swing around a greatsword and heavy armor while doing so.

the story of Teclis' life does a dramatic U-turn when the Loremasters get ahold of him and start poking him, asking "how the gently caress did you survive to the age of majority, a stiff breeze not only could have taken you out it should have."

the following montage consists of equal parts WIELDING PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER and convincing him to do enough bicep curls to be able to lift his loving staff unaided

Bro mages best mages.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Talabheim for Knights of the Blazing Sun, which are less tanky but more powerful on the charge and have flaming weapons and vanguard compared to Reiksguard. SFO adds the Knights Panther in Middenland regions I think, which offer another alternative to Reiksguard in the form of similarly less armored knights that also lose a chunk of charge bonus in exchange for AP damage, minor splash attacks, and a bonus against infantry.

I still prefer the sheer resilience of Reiksguard though, and Demigryphs once you can pay their brutal upkeep.

Even without SFO, I think Carroburg (Middenland, close to Altdorf across the river) might have a unique building which makes Reiksguard cheaper/better as well.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

rockopete posted:

Even without SFO, I think Carroburg (Middenland, close to Altdorf across the river) might have a unique building which makes Reiksguard cheaper/better as well.

The Knights Panther Chapterhouse in Carroburg doesn't add a unit in vanilla TWW but it does boost cavalry experience in Middenland generally.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

rockopete posted:

Yeah, that's Knights Panther Chapterhouse. Weird, because Carroburg is supposed to be a Reiklander region and is known for particularly badass Greatswords, but whatever.

TBH even with SFO's Knight Panthers the Chapterhouses could use some work, especially now with Franz's new ability letting you recruit an additional Captain and giving new Captains more ranks. Maxed out, it lets you recruit rank 7 Captains right out of the gate since the building you need to recruit them already gives +3 to Captain ranks, which means once everything falls into place you can recruit anything at roughly half cost with the recruitment cost skill bonus and commandment just by stacking all three Captains in Altdorf or whatever. Given some time, they can all get the rank bonus skill and getting cheap triple gold chevron infantry is stupidly easy in midgame, which is a massive boon.

And then they can all start getting commerce/farming traits just by sitting in Altdorf all game, and suddenly Altdorf is now the richest province in the game, making Marienburg and Mount Gunbad look like amateur hour.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Did... did they just make elves look fun... AGAIN? :ohdear:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Told y'all helfs rule

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

High Elves are massive, massive dicks, but are arrogant for a reason.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

wiegieman posted:

High Elves are massive, massive dicks, but are arrogant for a reason.

This is why playing Elfs rules. You can be a smug dick to everyone because OFCOURSE you are superior to everything under the sun. And if someone whines or cry about it, well...

:smug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Told y'all helfs rule

All elfs are cool but they also must die, it is the way of things.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

my favorite is the post battle options: you're not enslaving captives, it's "forced labor"

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
For some reason, I can't stop imagining Malekith holding a serious meeting with his top advisors when his mom walks in wearing spike heels, a thong, and a fur cape, and nothing else. Then his face turns red and he whimpers, "Mom..."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

William Bear posted:

For some reason, I can't stop imagining Malekith holding a serious meeting with his top advisors when his mom walks in wearing spike heels, a thong, and a fur cape, and nothing else. Then his face turns red and he whimpers, "Mom..."

one of malekith's top advisors is a grandma who wears combat thigh-highs and a metal bikini as a sign of her rank and office, and has dedicated her life to killing Morathi

so, yes, this scenario is entirely plausible.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Does Nippon produce warhammer anime and if so, how much of it has Malekith purchased?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

William Bear posted:

I think this is the most hilarious bit of lore I've learned from reading the Total Warhammer threads. Too bad 40K disappeared up it's own rear end in a top hat with "cool" lore such as Grey Knights bathing themselves in the blood of lady space marines. :psyduck:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

jokes posted:

Does Nippon produce warhammer anime and if so, how much of it has Malekith purchased?

they're not cartoons, mom, they're ARCANE SCROLLS

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ze Pollack posted:

one of malekith's top advisors is a grandma who wears combat thigh-highs and a metal bikini as a sign of her rank and office, and has dedicated her life to killing Morathi

so, yes, this scenario is entirely plausible.

Hellebron is mad at Morathi specifically because holding back a little blood magic is exactly what Hellebron would have done in her position.

I mean, the aging thing too, but mostly the beating to the punch thing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Are the AI armies weighted against the player or is it normal to field a stupid number of anti-large units? As VC it's feeling like my cav/monsters are just cheerleaders for the Grave Guard that carve through armies of spears. All non-siege fights so far have involved a lot of the line breaking spearmen while a everyone else sits there waiting to pick off the runners.

Sirbloody posted:

I have had an itch to play this game but I just read about Warhammer 2, should I wait for that release?

Humble has it all on sale and Bundlestars has the base game for <$20. If you start playing and like it, buy the DLC while it's on sale. Then preorder the second (Bundlestars again) to get the final dlc for the first game free. Money for the Money God.

PlushCow posted:

Also Humble Bundle is having a End of Summer Sale and all the TWW DLC is 50% off, much better than the recent sale Steam just had at 33%.

I think you're a cool helpful guy but my wallet thinks you're an rear end in a top hat.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

malekith wasnt actually burned, he just wears the full face mask at all times to hide his perma-blush from his embarrassing mom

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
High/Dark Elves, best elves.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

hooman posted:

High/Dark Dead elves, best elves.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

hooman posted:

High/Dark Dead Elves, best elves.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Pretty good video breakdown of some skaven stuff that was shown in the high elf video but kind of glossed over: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIKse78ySyY

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
how many times will I fall for that

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Pretty good video breakdown of some skaven stuff that was shown in the high elf video but kind of glossed over: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIKse78ySyY

Some great scenes of Skaven infighting that we've been waiting for.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

hooman posted:

High/Dark Elves, best elves.

honestly I prefer the wood elves as far as thematics go, a bunch of frat boy elves in a horrifying parasitic relationship with a magic murder forest has a lot more to it than "we're a noble mostly fallen empire" and "elves, but more jerks than usual"

it does not hurt that the high/dark elves' take on the wood elves is WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED TO YOU KHAINE AND ASURYAN KILL IT WITH FIRE, and the wood elves' take on the high/dark elves is "oh cute, it thinks it's people"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wood elfs are very good elfs.

Literally, just partying non stop until one of their fraternity leaders, or even their frat house/forest says "hey we gotta go pound those nerds that are trying to crash our party". So they get up, one by one, while the drunkest of the lot goes to boot and rally behind a tree but the forest turns him into Orion. Durthu, the oldest and chillest member who everyone thought graduated years ago, shuffles from his room upstairs that everyone thought was a broom closet and they all go and beat up some foreigners before bailing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ze Pollack posted:

honestly I prefer the wood elves as far as thematics go, a bunch of frat boy elves in a horrifying parasitic relationship with a magic murder forest has a lot more to it than "we're a noble mostly fallen empire" and "elves, but more jerks than usual"

it does not hurt that the high/dark elves' take on the wood elves is WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED TO YOU KHAINE AND ASURYAN KILL IT WITH FIRE, and the wood elves' take on the high/dark elves is "oh cute, it thinks it's people"

I like the high/dark elves mostly because they're not a noble fallen empire, they're nearly perfect physical specimens but their pride, arrogance and politicking (as well as susceptibility to corruption and excesses) are their downfall. They're declining because of problems mostly of their own making and if they could stop loving up all the time (eg. the whole civil war, war of the beard etc.) they'd be in much much better shape. The dark elves aren't the evil opposite but just the same as the high elves who hit the "what if they got desperate enough". At least that was the impression I have of them. Admittedly I haven't read the army books since 6th edition so maybe it's changed since or I'm misremembering it.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Dark elves aren't desperate so much as having shed any sense of morality. They're an entire nation of psychopaths that treat you like the inferior animal you are.

Which is why its great when those supposed animals fire a cannon right into the dark elves collective nuts and remind them they're the remnants of the remnants of a collapsing civilization.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Carcer posted:

Dark elves aren't desperate so much as having shed any sense of morality. They're an entire nation of psychopaths that treat you like the inferior animal you are.

Which is why its great when those supposed animals fire a cannon right into the dark elves collective nuts and remind them they're the remnants of the remnants of a collapsing civilization.

I meant more historically why they ended up that way. That the high elves are more than capable of being that in the right circumstances.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The only question left is Teclis or Tyrion? I prefer Teclis as a character but Tyrion has the superior, elfier start. Who to choose?

Also lol that GoT stole a name from fuckin Warhams

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Tyrion's a Celtic name and has been around for waaaay longer than either of these two franchises, dude.

Also all Elves are dumb and stupid but I'm still going to play all the Elves because Total Warhammer has managed to make all these races way more fun than most of them have any business being.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The upside of playing elves is that it doesn't prevent you from also murdering elves.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Psycho Landlord posted:

Tyrion's a Celtic name and has been around for waaaay longer than either of these two franchises, dude.

Also all Elves are dumb and stupid but I'm still going to play all the Elves because Total Warhammer has managed to make all these races way more fun than most of them have any business being.

hot take, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
OK, I think I got the hang of Great Cannons now (again). Helblasters...not so much. They really are the super-heavy version of Handgunners, but strangely enough I'm just not seeing them beat out actual Handgunners despite the range and power. I guess it's because they still aim like artillery pieces and dump their shots into the "center" of the target unit, instead of actually aiming at individual models.

• Locked thread