Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Action Heroine Cheer Fruits is good.

I assume the ashtray thing was a reference, what director threw an ashtray at actors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Probably quicker too ask who didn't :v:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Space Flower posted:

https://twitter.com/blend_s_anime/status/905234353206079490

interesting-looking workplace comedy about a girl who roleplays as a sadist at a themed cafe where other character waitresses are offered, such as Imouto, Onee-san, Tsundere, and Idol(♂)

no but really, this guy is voiced by the same seiyuu as Nico from Love Live.

the cast seems balanced between boys and girls, servers and chefs/managers, so it seems it'll be similar to Working! as a workplace comedy. The anime will be handled by A-1 Pictures, and directed by the ex-gainax animator who did the Gurren Lagann Parallel Works short where Viral is the protagonist and fights bandit-lord Kamina

I will watch this.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Guy Goodbody posted:

I assume the ashtray thing was a reference, what director threw an ashtray at actors?

It's a great show! I'm surprised it seems not to have gotten much attention. Super Sentai Love Live is a really fun premise and Cheer Fruits gets a lot of humor out of it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

we must stop netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwc6fTnsdBI

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Eh, I wasn't expecting their Voltron reboot to be any good either, yet I wound up liking it. Securing funding from outside the usual circle of anime-sponsoring companies sounds like a good way to shake up a stagnating industry. The show could still be awful of course, and the preview makes it look like a warmed-over version of Blood Blockade Battlefront's setting. Still, it's not impossible for it to be good. Stranger things have happened. Two seasons of it, no less! :v:

(Also it will make otaku shitlords come out of the woodwork to denounce it which makes me want to enjoy it just to be contrary.)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

esselfortium posted:

It's a great show! I'm surprised it seems not to have gotten much attention. Super Sentai Love Live is a really fun premise and Cheer Fruits gets a lot of humor out of it.

it's an Amazon show so that definitely hurts exposure. the premise and style probably turn people away too, they don't really sell the kind of show it actually is.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

quote:

Starring Jaden Smith.

Plz no,
No god no.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

I can't believe the Jaden Smith anime is worse than the Stan Lee anime

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aside from Jaden Smith that's a hell of a cast

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anime wasn't a mistake before

It might be a mistake now

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This looks like it was made 15 years ago

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Does Netflix just fund any pitch given to them?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kinda.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

I can't believe the Get Down and Sense 8 got canceled and then they approve of. This.

The animation is giving me a stroke. There is literally no aesthetic cohesion in artstyle or genre. Like the gently caress kind of story are they trying to tell?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rangpur posted:

Eh, I wasn't expecting their Voltron reboot to be any good either, yet I wound up liking it. Securing funding from outside the usual circle of anime-sponsoring companies sounds like a good way to shake up a stagnating industry. The show could still be awful of course, and the preview makes it look like a warmed-over version of Blood Blockade Battlefront's setting. Still, it's not impossible for it to be good. Stranger things have happened. Two seasons of it, no less! :v:

(Also it will make otaku shitlords come out of the woodwork to denounce it which makes me want to enjoy it just to be contrary.)

the voltron reboot didn't look like it was made in 2003

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The Voltron reboot is also easy to understand for someone who doesn't watch it (aliens, mechas, space, and teens) and again, stylistically cohesive especially with the trademark artstyle of the people who worked on Avatar and Legend of Korra.

This trailer ain't inspiring confidence.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The nosebleed was enough to convince me the show will be bad. Nosebleeds meaning horniness is not a thing outside Japan, it makes no sense to include it in an American show unless you're just copying stuff from anime without rhyme or reason.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In America, a nose bleeds because it's being picked too much. Or not enough.

That's a Simpsons joke for you all, which I'm now thinking might be older than some of the people in this thread.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Were cartoons this bad in 2003?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
We had stuff like Justice League, Teen Titans, Code Lyoko, and Samurai Jack. Oh, and Static Shock. There was definitely bad stuff, but these were a decent crop around that time.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 8, 2017

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Were cartoons this bad in 2003?

Anime certainly looked that ugly back then

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
We had Fullmetal Alchemist in 2003

And Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

And Tokyo Godfathers

And Interstellar 555

And Princess Tutu

Actually we had a lot of good anime in 2003 hot drat

Compendium fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 7, 2017

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It looks like an anime made in 2004, then

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
There is ugly anime in every year

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean the specific look being cited here is awful early digipaint (e.g. the HxH Greed Island OVA). this pedantry is dumb

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/ActionZacku/status/905826061711171586

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm glad Netflix decided to pick up the license to Kappa Mikey for a reboot.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

JordanKai posted:

I'm glad Netflix decided to pick up the license to Kappa Mikey for a reboot.

ok i'm sorry but there are some levels you don't go to

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

If it was just an SoL about life in Neo Yokio with bizarre as gently caress poo poo going on on the reg and none of this dramatic plot stuff, it could be decent. Alas, it isn't.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yall motherfuckers got the weakest constiutions i've ever seen

yeah gently caress it, i'll watch anime jaden smith, desus and mero fight a demon Damien Hirst sculpture and teach old money fuckboys a lesson. sure. why not.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Because it looks and sounds like poorly produced rear end?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

The fly in sequence is definitely a reference, but I'm not well versed enough in Sentai to know which one it's referencing. I think it's Jetman. The recent episode is just loaded with references to Toku stuff.

Fake edit: Anons are pointing out that Yukio Ninagawa might be the inspiration for the ashtray throwing director.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Moltrey posted:

yeah gently caress it, i'll watch anime jaden smith, desus and mero fight a demon Damien Hirst sculpture and teach old money fuckboys a lesson. sure. why not.

If they can get a decent soundtrack and none of that public domain music poo poo they got going on in the trailer, then MAYBE...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Compendium posted:

If they can get a decent soundtrack and none of that public domain music poo poo they got going on in the trailer, then MAYBE...

And in-between frames. And functional choreography. Those would be nice.

Last time I saw a show with movement that stiff was RWBY, and at least the full-CG meant that had some measure of flow rather than a constant, hideous jerky shudder. Seriously, that poo poo was like staring into a strobe-light. It hurt my eyes.

Apparently that show has a pretty prestigious staff behind it. Wonder what went wrong?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

And in-between frames. And functional choreography. Those would be nice.

Last time I saw a show with movement that stiff was RWBY, and at least the full-CG meant that had some measure of flow rather than a constant, hideous jerky shudder. Seriously, that poo poo was like staring into a strobe-light. It hurt my eyes.

Apparently that show has a pretty prestigious staff behind it. Wonder what went wrong?

nothing associated with jaden smith is ever good.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Moltrey posted:

I both love it and hate it. It looks ugly and I doubt the plot's gonna be good, but the world looks really interesting and diverse, and if it has a good sense of humor or can pull off emotional moments well I could see myself actually enjoying it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The Colonel posted:

...yeah alright, that's fair.

I stand by the rest of it though.

edit:
Oh. Oh dear.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nothing associated with jaden smith is ever good.

His tweets are good

• Locked thread