Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It looks just like Eternal, which looks like every other digital card game. Which isn't a bad thing, they let everyone else do the hard design work and ripped off them just like every other game ripped off Magic's... everything else. I could definitely play this as long as I could turn off the sound effects and tone down the animations. I wish tapping had a better indication, but as I'm reading chat this is the number one thing people are complaining about (that isn't just "Hearthstone is better").

I think they're saying they want Arena to be Standard and sealed and draft with Standard-legal sets, and MTGO will still be used for other formats. I bet by next year we'll start to see some indication as to which program they plan phase out and which one they plan to keep, depending on how popular Arena is. If they start announcing older sets for the game or Modern support, sell your MTGO cards if you have any.

Edit: Planeswalkers have voice lines when ETB.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Well I'm glad I liquidated my mtgo collection literally last night. Thanks to whoever recommended mtgotraders over the other options, I got an extra $70 out of it.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

AceClown posted:

So it looks good, it has support for every card, seems to be exactly what people have been asking for.

I guess the only 2 ways left for WOTC to gently caress this up is either in the card library or pricing.

Or, you know, not letting people transfer their collections from MTGO. Which I fully expect to happen.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Oh hey that's actually a way better way to handle blocking order.

Also I know I'm in the minority but I like the current tapping implementation. I think it's a good balance between being able to tell what is tapped but still being able to read cards.

Necronomicon posted:

Or, you know, not letting people transfer their collections from MTGO. Which I fully expect to happen.

They aren't actually cutting support for MTGO for the immediate future so why would they let you do that?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If you own more than 10 dollars in MTGO things right now you are a fool.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Oh hey that's actually a way better way to handle blocking order.

Also I know I'm in the minority but I like the current tapping implementation. I think it's a good balance between being able to tell what is tapped but still being able to read cards.

They aren't actually cutting support for MTGO for the immediate future so why would they let you do that?

I can't wait for the tears from the loss of value from mtgo collections.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

AceClown posted:

MDN Arena stream is now live, trigger warning for sweaty goblin MaRo

I nearly turned off the stream when his annoying rear end voice came blasting through during the intro.

Arena looks nice if casual af.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

Even if its a draft set?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Hell yeah my Invasion foil Opts are back in business :c00lbert:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Willeh posted:

I nearly turned off the stream when his annoying rear end voice came blasting through during the intro.

Arena looks nice if casual af.

What is casual about it?

Hey, look flip cradle. Green is looking stacked folks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow, a Gaea's Cradle. 2G legendary enchantment. ETB look at top four and get a creature (I think). EOT if you have four or more creatures, flip it into a Gaea's Cradle that also taps for G.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Enchantment that transforms into a Gaea's Cradle if you control 4 creatures was just spoiled on Arena

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Is that modern elves playable? Or is taking a turn off too slow.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

hahaha smug Jace voice!!

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

AceClown posted:

hahaha smug Jace voice!!

Sounds like he is trying to seduce you, lol

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

quote:

MTG Arena will NOT replace Magic Online. Development on Magic Online will continue with new card sets, new updates, and ongoing tournaments. The focus of MTG Arena will be on the newest cards and game modes. Because of this, Magic Online—which has a library of nearly every card ever printed from the game's entire history—will continue to offer unique experiences to players.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Dehtraen posted:

Sounds like he is trying to seduce you, lol

"Don't make me turn your mind against you, mi'lady"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Old format support might not be enough to keep people coming back to one of the worst interfaces ever made. Collections are going to tank.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Sickening posted:

Old format support might not be enough to keep people coming back to one of the worst interfaces ever made. Collections are going to tank.

I'd say it's more the pricing that's going to turn people off, I'm hearing (on Reddit so take that as you will) that this will be a F2P model.

Edit: Ooooh you have to manually click to allow something to resolve, that makes sense.

AceClown fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 7, 2017

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'd be thrilled to draft at Eternal $1/pack prices. I'd probably draft at least once a week compared to the $0 magic online gets from me now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Just this product being able to draft in standard is enough to make this the loving death knell to mtgo. Without drafting new cards entering the system will dwindle.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

Yeah, time to liquidate the collection

Sickening posted:

Just this product being able to draft in standard is enough to make this the loving death knell to mtgo. Without drafting new cards entering the system will dwindle.

They almost certainly know this, but don't want to lose 100% of their mtgo revenue overnight

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Really weird decision to keep both active.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sickening posted:

This is the MtG thread, so we're just talking degrees here.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Splitting their online offering sounds like a great plan to kill both.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

That Cruise/Full control toggle is going to add a new layer to the game, let's say you had it on cruise control and auto pass for a couple of turns then suddenly activate full control of priority passes, that's going to give away so much info.

Can also be used to bluff with I guess. I'd just imagine most people who know what they're doing will just leave full control on.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

so on the one hand i want to make fun of this because its very clearly never going to have modern or legacy or anything fun at all

on the other hand block constructed has always been one of my favorite formats. but then again block constructed with no purpose whatsoever sounds kind of like a nightmarish hell game

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

AceClown posted:

That Cruise/Full control toggle is going to add a new layer to the game, let's say you had it on cruise control and auto pass for a couple of turns then suddenly activate full control of priority passes, that's going to give away so much info.

Can also be used to bluff with I guess. I'd just imagine most people who know what they're doing will just leave full control on.

How's it any different than hitting F6 in MTGO?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BJPaskoff posted:

I bet by next year we'll start to see some indication as to which program they plan phase out and which one they plan to keep, depending on how popular Arena is. If they start announcing older sets for the game or Modern support, sell your MTGO cards if you have any.
It's mtgo. They've milked the mtgo market for legacy cards, what else does it have for big cash infusions? It's not going to last without drafters unless phantom cubes are huge money or something.

Reminder that the original plan was to have duels be the intro product, arena for middle tier and mtgo for very serious players. Look at how long that lasted.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
They said it is free to play on stream

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah but free to play doesn't mean anything until we see what the method for playing is and acquiring cards is. this is wotc where i fully expect "f2p" to mean that it doesnt cost anything to join events, but you have to buy digital packs to draft with and build your collection

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Splitting Standard stuff into Arena and everything else into MTGO sounds like a drat catastrophe incoming unless they're going to cut the price of new set drafts on MTGO. If they're going to keep MTGO alive and aren't going to put every card into Arena at once, MTGO will stay alive just from Pauper/Vintage/Legacy/Modern players, but when they print something like Fatal Push into a new set, if all of the casual players are drafting over in Arena, any new staple cards are going to be extremely overpriced.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Neito posted:

What's there to address? It's a pretty clear card.

Without a third person judge Cheatyface almost always becomes a "I caught you putting Cheatyface into place" answered by "I snuck it into play last turn, you didn't notice until now" answered by "nah uh."

I can't find the article that points out it's the Unhinged card they most regret making.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I wouldn't put too much faith in cheap drafting.

I tried Eternal for a bit and discovered that since you can't cash out your draft picks to buy packs, drafting isn't really much cheaper. If this functions in the same way it may well have the same issue.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Isn't some amount of drafting straight up free in Eternal though?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The fact that modo isn't free to play is really weird. It's a needless barrier to entry. They wouldn't need to change anything about the game.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
If there's regular priority instead of Duels-style timers, is there a match clock?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

odiv posted:

Isn't some amount of drafting straight up free in Eternal though?
If you're good enough you can still chain drafts pretty readily along with daily quests and such.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sickening posted:

Standard cards are stable due to redemption, not to mention premiere and ptq and whatever else. Cube is the most popular draft format. A new comprehensive rules engine is perhaps laying the groundwork to eventually replace mtgo, but that is a long way away. I'm certainly not heavily invested in mtgo, and I never would be, but I wouldn't panic. It could actually increase interest in mtgo if it becomes popular enough, who knows, it's still in alpha or beta right?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

The fact that modo isn't free to play is really weird. It's a needless barrier to entry. They wouldn't need to change anything about the game.

Modo pricing is completely crippled by set redemption, it's the reason it costs you as much to draft on Modo as it does in the real world. That and the fact that people will pay the ludicrous prices anyway