Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
A BWM success story:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6yi6ua/my_lyftuber_expenses_were_nearly_750_every_month/ posted:

I used to Lyft Line or Uber Pool to work everyday or every other day so this was nearly ~$10 everyday so $200-250/month just for that. In addition I use uber/lyft to get around the city for meeting up with friends, getting groceries, going to meetups etc and that added up a lot. I was so shocked by this because even though the charges are tiny up front they really add up.

So a few months ago I invested in a nice road bike for $900 and its been solid so far and my Lyft usage dramatically went down. If I am going somewhere <2.5 miles I bike. I live in SF so hills can get pretty crazy so I also avoid areas that are further in the city. Its even cheaper than public transport - which would cost me close to $100 every month to get to work. Instead monthly bike maintenance is <$10 and I can use public transportation to go further into the city. I only use lyft/uber now if I am drunk or need to get to places that neither public transport or my bike can.

Something I thought this sub might enjoy

Edit: A lot of questions around why I used Lyft/Uber and Taxi so much when SF is such a walkable city and it has great public transportation.

No real reason besides I was stupid and incredibly lazy with terrible habits. I moved to SF fresh out of college a year ago and I work in Tech so the salaries are pretty good. I wasn't disciplined about my finances for a while - as a matter of fact I wasn't until the last few months and then expenses racked up and I started building a credit balance. I used to use public transportation a lot and then I moved to a place where it was a little far so I got lazy and started taking Lyft and this became such a habit that 4-5 months in I was taking it everywhere.

I also used to call it all the time whenever friends/family was in town and never split. $750 does say a lot about me. Bad habits are so easy to foster. But now I am more disciplined in this matter. I was careless. But I am self-aware enough to call myself out - only in this case I could've done it early; but that's alright because I did and made a lot of progress.

So if you are 22 and are like me and have bad habits that alright. Call yourself out. Block a few hours on a weekend, and do nothing but understand your financial habits and make a budget to the last penny. It might anxiety at first but then you'll get a hold over it and it'll be alright.

Edit: Holy poo poo. This got way more attention than I wanted. A lot of good advice - thank you for that. Thank you to all the people that were being nice. To the ones that reached out to me to be mean - try to be nice.

I did invest in a good U lock and I also have a cable lock. When I'm at work I take it straight to my desk but when I go grocery shopping I usually lock it with the U-lock and also use the cable lock with the tires. It worked well so far.

I also cook everyday so that ~$50 a week on groceries and I eat out about ~30 worth every weekend. so about ~$350 in eating a month. A lot of people reached out asking for advice - I will get back to you this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Fiat bad, bitcoin good

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/01/unruly-flier-ordered-to-pay-airline-nearly-100000-in-restitution.html

Bad with money: domestic violence on a flight to Hawaii that forces the airline to turn around, leaving you on the hook for $100k.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Barry posted:

Fiat bad, bitcoin good
"Deflation good because your money gains value over time. Don't think too hard about how that would affect the economy as a whole."

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Barry posted:

Fiat bad, bitcoin good
holy fukken lmao

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
In case anyone wants to get some BWM right from the source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6yn8hs/the_difference_between_inflation_and_deflation/

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ohgodwhat posted:

I don't know how you get to the point where you don't know how to spell per diem so you write perdium

Yeah, I wonder if he pronounces it per-dee-um or what.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It's important to note that he gets his perdium per day, too.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Subjunctive posted:

It's important to note that he gets his perdium per day, too.

Still doesn't make my eye twitch as much as "should of." I don't think it's in the quoted post but it's all over his other posts in the reddit thread. Think about what the words you're typing actually mean, people. :argh:

Reading more of this thread he talks about how he works in electricity (green energy maybe?) in coal country so he and his coworkers have to live 45 minutes from the worksite to avoid vandalism and assault, so I retract my suggestion that he move his wife and kids in with him. poo poo is so hosed, everywhere, all the time.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

[–]descartablet [score hidden] 5 hours ago

Honey badger don't care about what is good or bad for "the economy"

[–]FrogTrainer [score hidden] 4 hours ago

Until you lose your job. Assuming you have one. Let's say until your mommy loses her job.
BWM: Bitcoin.
BWL: Making honey badger jokes in 2017. Also bitcoin.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Still doesn't make my eye twitch as much as "should of."

Agreed, that is physically uncomfortable.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

How far away do you think we are from retro memes. All Your Base has to be 20 years old at this point, right?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/01/unruly-flier-ordered-to-pay-airline-nearly-100000-in-restitution.html

Bad with money: domestic violence on a flight to Hawaii that forces the airline to turn around, leaving you on the hook for $100k.

$47k in meal vouchers?

Food is expensive in Hawaii.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

:psyduck:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Extremely Bad With Money:

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/905919597962022912

Suggested defense: "We were victims of identity theft, and they're the ones who made the transactions. We've been victimized just like all of you".

Realtalk-Cannot exaggerate the impact this will have on a variety of sectors, including refund fraud and as such, USG revenues. Past fraud outbreaks have shown the organization lacked foresight and execution in the best of times, and these are not that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trust in the 10b5-1, use it always, stay safe.

Idiots.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Barry posted:

Fiat bad, bitcoin good

Correction: your fiat bad, my fiat good

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

And the red pill blue pill hands are reversed ... come on man why are the two thumbs facing each other?? Did Morpheus glue the pills to his hands and then hold them upside down?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

ohgodwhat posted:

I don't know how you get to the point where you don't know how to spell per diem so you write perdium

He probably did not get a very good education. I know people who are borderline illiterate who managed to get a high school diploma and find a decent blue collar job. In some cases that had learning disabilities that were not diagnosed and in some cases they just never took to school. Having poor grammar and spelling and using weird not-words do not always mean somebody is dumb. Sometimes it means they had challenges and didn't have the support they needed to succeed in the classroom.

April
Jul 3, 2006

I don't know if there's any help for this guy....

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6yncqb/20000_in_defaulted_student_loans_wages_being/?st=j7b4z84y&sh=176daafd

quote:

EDIT: So I checked my paystub and found out I'm definitely being garnished. Does anyone know how I can find out who's doing the garnishment so I can try to pay off the debt quicker?
EDIT #2: So after receiving some advice, I signed up with the National Student Loan Data System a Department of Education site for tracking student loan information, and took a picture of this table outlining my loans and interest (sorry I couldn't make the image larger). My balance is about $16,000 and the interest is about $4,000
Hello everyone, short time lurker, first time poster here in this subreddit. I've seen the occasional success story crop up on here, and the common theme seems to be the posters thanking this community for helping them get out of debt.
So now I come before you all admitting that I've reached my limits. I can no longer tolerate the $20,000 in defaulted federal student loans burdened upon me by my younger, dumber self a decade ago. I flagrantly refused to pay back my student loans in an act of defiance against the federal government, and now I'm paying for it. Now I'm tired of it and it's time to humble myself and ask for help from those who are more financially successful.
I'm currently an Assistant Retail Manager making $11.50 an hour. I'm turning 31 this year, and I live rent free with my dad in a paid off mobile home. My only real current financial obligation is my car insurance, which costs about $18 a month minimum to maintain, and has an overall premium of about $400. I get paid weekly, and up until this most recent paystub, was making about $400+ gross per paycheck. However this most recent paycheck was about half that, for the same amount of work. I haven't received any notices since starting the job, but I suspect I'm being garnished.
I don't have a very steady job history either, two years seems to be about as long as I'm able to last at a company before it all goes to hell, so I'm always scared to take on any major financial responsibilities because I'm always concerned that I could lose my job at any moment.
As you can probably tell, I'm horrible with finances and no good at making a budget, and need all the help I can get. I have no savings to speak of other than physical assets that I'd rather not liquidate, as I've pretty much liquidated what assets I can already.
My question is this, given my current financial situation, how do I go about paying off $20,000 as quickly as possible, preferably within two years?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
You missed the best part.

quote:

Thanks for the info, no I didn't get a degree... I was dumb then, still pretty dumb now but I at least want to try to climb out of my hole. How exactly do I check the status of the loan? I know it's defaulted because they told me that a few years ago...I don't know who actually owns the loan anymore, it was a Sally Mae deal from Devry that I made back in 2007.

quote:

EDIT: So I just checked, and I'm not eligible for a refund, I was enrolled before the time period required on the site.
:rip:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therobit posted:

He probably did not get a very good education. I know people who are borderline illiterate who managed to get a high school diploma and find a decent blue collar job. In some cases that had learning disabilities that were not diagnosed and in some cases they just never took to school. Having poor grammar and spelling and using weird not-words do not always mean somebody is dumb. Sometimes it means they had challenges and didn't have the support they needed to succeed in the classroom.

Truth. One of my very good friends is a carpenter. The kind of carpenter that builds or works on several million dollar homes. His father was afraid he wouldn't even graduate high school because of what he described as "learning disabilities". This guy does so much math in his head "by feel" when it comes to building that I feel like an idiot when he's helping me with something. Calculating angles when birdmouthing joists, etc.....it's 100% natural to him, yet he thinks he "sucks at math."

Not everyone learns the same way, and not everybody even needs to understand they are doing math when they actually are.

He totally sucks at spelling and will write words like what is being discussed. Phonetically in a philadelphia regional accent. He had all the educational opportunity you could hope for in a public school. It just didn't "take" the way it does for most.......he definitely needed other help that the school district/his dad couldn't figure out no matter how much they tried. Despite that he got out of it what he needed. Dude is a master at his craft and is in demand. He's an all around good guy and you just need to realize it's easy to categorize people as dumb/useless from poo poo like that but it's definitely not always the full story.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

ohgodwhat posted:

Ho ho ho yes those illiterate plebes, probably never even cracked the spine of a Latin grammar

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Time to update that thread title.

Mala pecunia: modica pene

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Haifisch posted:

"Deflation good because your money gains value over time. Don't think too hard about how that would affect the economy as a whole."

No no no you don't get it, I'd be rich!

Haifisch posted:

Why would I need a job, I'd be rich!!

Star Man posted:

Correction: your fiat bad, my fiat good

I'd be rich!!!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Haifisch posted:

You missed the best part.

:rip:

This may be one of those times where faking your own death and moving to Central America is the easiest way out of debt.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

IRS auditing me for the past three years

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6yox5p/irs_auditing_me_for_the_past_three_years/?st=j7c075cx&sh=3c6d1ee6 posted:

[Washington] I was sent a letter from the IRS telling me that I'm being audited for 2016,2015 & 2014.

I'm a YouTuber so i claimed lots of things as buiness expenses. My car, my office, my filming equipment and computers.

I've claimed lunches with other YouTubers as buiness lunches because that's what they are. Taxaudit.com is helping but they are telling me the IRs needs the details about what was discussed at these lunches in 2014 (i have no idea). They've requested receipts for equipment i bought that year and i don't have them. No one told me i needed to save them. I provided them with credit card statements and that's not enough. I feel like I'm being charged as guilty without a trial. I stand to owe them as much as 300k. I could lose most everything i own.

This dude apparently seems to have claimed everything remotely possible as a business expense for his youtube business. All wtihout a CPA. IRS is asking for 300k, which means he asked for deductions on roughly 1 million dollars worth of stuff through the last three years. I'm assuming he included mortgage or house purchase because in his mind "I film my youtube videos here, so it's part of my business". Then he's asking about lunches expenses, instead of the big expenses.

Apparently some commenters know what youtuber it is pretty easily, but I have no idea.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Fritzler posted:

IRS auditing me for the past three years

This dude apparently seems to have claimed everything remotely possible as a business expense for his youtube business. All wtihout a CPA. IRS is asking for 300k, which means he asked for deductions on roughly 1 million dollars worth of stuff through the last three years. I'm assuming he included mortgage or house purchase because in his mind "I film my youtube videos here, so it's part of my business". Then he's asking about lunches expenses, instead of the big expenses.

Apparently some commenters know what youtuber it is pretty easily, but I have no idea.

He's screwed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nobody told me running a business involved things! Someone should make some kind of school for business, this is really complicated!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That's mainline bwm, the IRS is going to gently caress him up good.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

On the bright side, as long as he streams his entire ordeal, he can claim all its costs as a business expense!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
In my head, I'm certain it's a bitcoin youtuber who expensed bitcoin poo poo.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Tax deniers are my favorite flavor of BWM.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I don't think a bitcoin youtuber has a million dollars, even over three years. I'm trying to think of who in washington is youtube famous enough to be pulling in that kind of money but I'm not really ~down with the kids these days~ on modern unboxing fidget spinner loot crate videos so idk.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Tax deniers are my favorite flavor of BWM.

I don't think he's even a denier, I think he's just an idiot who thought "anything that makes me money is tax free because business!"

(To be fair turbotax is kinda lovely in this regard, it says stuff like "do you work in your home office more than half the time you're in your home office, if so you can deduct it and everything inside it!!!")

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Apparently people think it is this guy? I haven't watched the video yet, so apologies if its bad. (It probably is).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

I don't think a bitcoin youtuber has a million dollars, even over three years.

It's up more than 10x since April 2014, so who knows? Bitcoin makes reality wrong.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

He tries to claim washroom as a room where he conducts business

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I watched this so you didn't have to. Highlights:

1) This is actually his SECOND audit, because he previously tried to claim his divorce as a business expense. Somehow he managed to learn nothing from that about claiming insane poo poo or documenting anything.

2) He is outraged that the IRS wants to inspect his house to confirm he uses it as his business location, because he claimed the entire house; instead he is trying to give them a video tour so that they don't have to come see him.

3) Proceeds to show us all the rooms in his house and justifies them as business related because he shot a video there or someone he collaborated with on a video used the room.

4) Snidely points out all the personal stuff that has been in videos that he was gracious enough not to claim (like his lawnmower).

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
It's ebay power sellers all over again. They want to be treated like a real grown up business until they learn about thecorresponding obligations. Applies to taxes, copyright, consumer protection law and everything else.

tl, dr: I hope they throw the book at him.