Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cams posted:

they should just write boruto off the show, send him to clown college or something. make sarada the star of the show.

Yeah, I never thought I'd say this about the series but in this case the Uchiha is probably the best character on the show so far (she's at least one of the more well-adjusted members of the family we've seen so far, which is saying a lot considering who her parents are).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

boruto will probably be good once they're past the movie

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Aurora posted:

boruto will probably be good once they're past the movie

counterpoint: once they are past the movie they will start adapting the manga, which is very much not good

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The manga is pretty dreadful.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think there's enough of it for me to really have an opinion yet

like original content wise there's been half an arc with a throwaway villain

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I don't hate the Original Manga stuff so far. But the art is traaaaaaash

So if they keep the key art not trash It'll likely be decent.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What I'm really hoping for is that we get full chunin exam fights in the movie adaptation, which I feel like they have to do

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexo posted:

I don't hate the Original Manga stuff so far. But the art is traaaaaaash

So if they keep the key art not trash It'll likely be decent.

The anime's still being done in Kishimoto's art style rather than the guy working on the manga so as long as they keep that consistent I doubt there's any reason to worry about that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm gonna be that guy and say that Boruto is the best character in the show. He's actually almost fully fleshed out now, whereas prior to this show all we had on him was "total brat", "hates his Dad for doing his job", and "grows up into the most ridiculous looking character". He's far more tolerable than how he is in the manga, probably because he's so entrenched in his supporting cast.

Sarada's a good character too, but a lot of that is by how much she contrasts Boruto. On her own merits she only really has the events of Sarada Gaiden, which... are kinda more interested in traumatizing her than developing her. Maybe the anime adaption will change that, but so far it seems more interested in attempting to make sense of Sasuke and Sakura's mindsets.

To give an example so I don't just sound like I'm being contrary, the scene where Sarada yells at Boruto to let her deliver Naruto's lunch gains new context in the anime because we have a better grasp of Boruto's situation. In the manga it was pretty much Sarada roasting him for not appreciating what he's got, but in the anime we know full well that Boruto loves his dad the most when he's being a bumbling doofus, not when he's acting in his role as Hokage. This justifies his minor frustration and spiteful decision to just head back home, because it's a reasonable extension of what has already been shown. It also adds a bit of humor, because Boruto is understandably weirded out at how intensely Sarada is treating it (which also makes perfect sense given what we've seen of both of their home lives); to him, she's blowing a minor problem way out of proportion..

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 7, 2017

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Boruto sucks because he hates my good friend Naruto

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
supposedly salad gaiden was about her reconciling with her horrible parents, but then she came out of it thinking that naruto was awesome and that she wants to be like him. i really think that the message was supposed to be "your parents are actually great even if they seem like huge assholes" rather than "even if your parents suck they are still your parents, but you can still make your own choices in life", which is hilarious.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sakura's an alright mom.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Sakura's a fine mom under the circumstances and Sasuke is a bad dad but given that his own dad was kind of a prick and that he spent like five years associating "family" with "murder the gently caress out of" it's not shocking that he has no idea what he's doing

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was pretty happy with that arc. I felt like Shin vs. Sakura was one of Sakura's better fights. And it was cool to see Naruto and Sasuke use their powers again.

Sakura loves her kid, but I wouldn't say she's the best mom. Her not really telling Sarada anything was kind of what led to this whole mess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sakura's an alright mom.

she dissembled and lied to salad all her life, refusing to provide even one straight answer about sasuke. you'd think sasuke fan #2 (naruto is still #1) would have been able to find at least one nice to say about him over the course of a decade. when salad finally had enough of that poo poo and really pushed, sakura threw a violent tantrum. like, sakura's not abusive or neglectful but she is still a hot mess.

i can kind of understand, though. if sakura valued communication she wouldn't have formed a lifelong obsession for a guy who is completely unwilling to communicate with her. so, her inability to talk to her kid is part of her values. not talking is what she perceives as affection, because she is hosed in the head. plus, you know, shounen fighting manga. communication doesn't do poo poo unless it is preceded by magic fights.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If my child's Dad was Sasuke I wouldn't tell them anything about their father either.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
true, but sakura still somehow thinks sasuke is wonderful. i'm kind of surprised she doesn't tell everyone about how romantic the time he tried to murder her was.

it's a good reason why no one else was willing to talk about him, though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

true, but sakura still somehow thinks sasuke is wonderful. i'm kind of surprised she doesn't tell everyone about how romantic the time he tried to murder her was.

it's a good reason why no one else was willing to talk about him, though.

It was established long ago that naruto sakura ino sai and kakashi are like the only people in konoha who even like sasuke

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

you know what bothers me? why doesn't yamato's happuri have the konoha symbol on it anymore. not like it matters since orochimaru knows he's there

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

It was established long ago that naruto sakura ino sai and kakashi are like the only people in konoha who even like sasuke

I thought Sai didn't really like him either.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I thought Sai didn't really like him either.

Sai likes him by proxy

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the first friends sai ever made liked to go on about how perfect sasuke is like they were part of a cult. i think he just went along with it to be polite. likewise, ino clearly got over sasuke at some point during the time skip, but she pretended otherwise to humor sakura.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Sakura's a fine mom under the circumstances and Sasuke is a bad dad but given that his own dad was kind of a prick and that he spent like five years associating "family" with "murder the gently caress out of" it's not shocking that he has no idea what he's doing

Yeah, given the circumstances staying out of his daughter's life as much as possible is probably the best thing Sasuke can do for Sarada at this point.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Salad is two train wrecks miraculously forming a functional being, just like sodium and chlorine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not too surprising, really. sasuke wasn't around to be a profound disappointment and sakura is a mess, so salad had to be the level-headed, responsible one in the house.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sarada was a train wreck waiting to happen. If it weren't for Naruto being a respectable adult figure, she would have followed her dad's footsteps and ditched.

You gotta remember that while almost all of the new generation kids are tightly knit (particularly around Boruto), Chocho is Sarada's only regular friend. And that's due to active effort on Chocho's part. Otherwise, Sarada spends most of her time alone stewing in Parent Issues.

EDIT: Also Sarada has all the hallmarks of a kid forced to grow up too fast, so I wouldn't say Sakura's a particularly good mother. Her job's just as important as Naruto's, but unlike him she doesn't have a history of putting 120% into everything she does to inform her decision to not be there for her child more. To me, Sarada seems to have mostly turned out well more due to modern Konoha being a safe environment than anything her parents did.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 7, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BlitzBlast posted:

Sarada was a train wreck waiting to happen. If it weren't for Naruto being a respectable adult figure, she would have followed her dad's footsteps and ditched.

You gotta remember that while almost all of the new generation kids are tightly knit (particularly around Boruto), Chocho is Sarada's only regular friend. And that's due to active effort on Chocho's part. Otherwise, Sarada spends most of her time alone stewing in Parent Issues.

EDIT: Also Sarada has all the hallmarks of a kid forced to grow up too fast, so I wouldn't say Sakura's a particularly good mother. Her job's just as important as Naruto's, but unlike him she doesn't have a history of putting 120% into everything she does to inform her decision to not be there for her child more. To me, Sarada seems to have mostly turned out well more due to modern Konoha being a safe environment than anything her parents did.

Eh, do you know how goddamn hard it is to be a single working mom(well functionally single anyway)? She's got mortgages to pay and poo poo.

Sarada is a latch key kid sure, but Sakura is clearly there for her and they interact frequently. There have been multiple scenes of them eating dinner together, seeming like it happens frequently. And if modern Konoha wasn't a safe environment she most definitely wouldn't be around her mom, she would be in a group fighting in a foreign land, while Sakura is off running higher level important missions.

Like Kakashi was like 6-8 and they had him out in the field fighting in wars and poo poo.

Like I think it's preeeeety unfair(i mean as unfair as it can be for a fictional character anyway) to poo poo on Sakura's raising of Sarada. She seems super well adjusted and mature, outside of the comical series of events that lead her to thinking that her mom has been lying to her all these years about her parentage.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sakura's in a tough position, but it's also a nonsensical one. The majority of the flaws with her parenting come down to poor writing on the series' part (Why does she need to pay mortgages at all? Where did her parents go? Why have none of her friends or coworkers approached her about her working too hard like Shikamaru did to Naruto? And of course, why didn't she explain anything about Sasuke but that's a low hanging fruit), but unless any of that ever gets explained I'm left to assume she's just loving up. The episode that establishes Sarada and Sakura's home life also points out that Sakura constantly works late hours, to the point that Sarada is in charge of cooking dinner. And another episode has Sarada blow off hanging out with friends because she needs to make dinner, so.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say with regards to modern Konoha being a better place. That if Sarada was around during the Third's reign, she would've turned out even worse? That's kind of my point, she only seems to have turned out so well at all compared to other Uchiha because she's just in a better environment.

And I'm going to be blunt here, but Sarada is a screwed up kid. Not nearly to the extent of how screwed up her father was, or even near how screwed up kids were in general back in the original series, but still pretty screwed up by her generation's standards. Sarada Gaiden itself showcases all of the insecurities she's got regarding her parentage, and those didn't come out of nowhere. The series proper shows that she doesn't spend that much time with her age group, has her constantly try to act more mature than she really is (pretending she doesn't know about Boruto's favorite movie hero, not wanting to train surf, etc), and having a bad habit of not saying what's really on her mind. None of that is necessarily a bad thing on their own, but combined with the rest of her issues it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

A lot of this is due to how obviously Sarada is being written to contrast Boruto, mind you. It remains to be seen what's going to be done with it (I think her decision to pursue become Hokage was supposed to be her turning over a new leaf), but at the moment Boruto is a Happy Ordinary Kid so that means Sarada is a Sad Not Ordinary Kid.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Sakura's in a tough position, but it's also a nonsensical one. The majority of the flaws with her parenting come down to poor writing on the series' part (Why does she need to pay mortgages at all? Where did her parents go? Why have none of her friends or coworkers approached her about her working too hard like Shikamaru did to Naruto? And of course, why didn't she explain anything about Sasuke but that's a low hanging fruit), but unless any of that ever gets explained I'm left to assume she's just loving up. The episode that establishes Sarada and Sakura's home life also points out that Sakura constantly works late hours, to the point that Sarada is in charge of cooking dinner. And another episode has Sarada blow off hanging out with friends because she needs to make dinner, so.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say with regards to modern Konoha being a better place. That if Sarada was around during the Third's reign, she would've turned out even worse? That's kind of my point, she only seems to have turned out so well at all compared to other Uchiha because she's just in a better environment.

And I'm going to be blunt here, but Sarada is a screwed up kid. Not nearly to the extent of how screwed up her father was, or even near how screwed up kids were in general back in the original series, but still pretty screwed up by her generation's standards. Sarada Gaiden itself showcases all of the insecurities she's got regarding her parentage, and those didn't come out of nowhere. The series proper shows that she doesn't spend that much time with her age group, has her constantly try to act more mature than she really is (pretending she doesn't know about Boruto's favorite movie hero, not wanting to train surf, etc), and having a bad habit of not saying what's really on her mind. None of that is necessarily a bad thing on their own, but combined with the rest of her issues it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

A lot of this is due to how obviously Sarada is being written to contrast Boruto, mind you. It remains to be seen what's going to be done with it (I think her decision to pursue become Hokage was supposed to be her turning over a new leaf), but at the moment Boruto is a Happy Ordinary Kid so that means Sarada is a Sad Not Ordinary Kid.

Capitalism yo. The world doesn't give a gently caress if you saved the world veteran lady, go back and toil in the capitalism mines. She doesn't work too hard, she just has a 9-5 where she occasionally has to stay late, and has a kid that often gets home from school before she's normally back.

She doesn't really work too hard, though, she works in a hospital and occasionally has to stay late. Her kid is old enough to fend for themselves when they are at home. I was fairly similar, My mom worked mornings and my dad worked nights. My Dad was gone by the time I got home and didn't get home til like 2AM, and my mom usually didn't get in til like 8PM or 9PM. I was home by myself for like 3-4 hours most nights from like age 8 til 17(went off to college). I assume she had family and friends look after her up til she was clearly capable of not killing herself if left alone for a period of time, just like I went over my grandparents house until age 8 or so.

A kid acting more mature than they are is kinda a thing a ton of kids do. Because they want to come off as more mature. It's not necessarily a function of being screwed up or anything because she's by herself for a couple of hours a day.

The only thing that really reflects poorly on Sakura is being unable to get a recent picture of Sasuke and her together(also I'm picturing the scene of when Taka stopped to take that loving image for some dumb reason and it's spectacular). And Maybe not doing a better job at explaining Sasuke being out on missions to Sarada.

Lmao at docking a kid's personality for not wanting to do dumb illegal and reckless poo poo like train surfing. Also young girls acting like they don't care or like action movie, or "boys stuff" isn't that rare. You are viewing everything from the perspective of the Boys in the class(Bort, Shikadai, and Ino''s kid who's name I forget). She seemed to get along with the other girls in the class perfectly fine.

Sarada is perfectly fine, maybe a bit less carefree than the boys and ChoCho, but other that that not outside the bounds of normal kids from different circumstances.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 7, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

At this point you're not arguing with me so much as you're just going "nah, you're wrong", so I'm just gonna stop this conversation here.

Thanks, though. This was kinda nostalgic.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

At this point you're not arguing with me so much as you're just going "nah, you're wrong", so I'm just gonna stop this conversation here.

Thanks, though. This was kinda nostalgic.

How else am I supposed to counter you then, I'm just saying it's not some signal of massive disfunction or a sign of her being screwed up for some kids to act more mature, for her to not want to train surf and poo poo. And used a personal anecdote to showcase that.

Kids don't all have to be carefree trouble makers to be well adjusted. All kids have insecurities, It's a part of growing up. Some manifest it by showing out, Some internalize it, and others try to be their own stabilizing force in their lives.

Boruto's handles his father's absence(and hell he has a seemingly stay at home mom) by showing out. Sarada handles hers by being the steady rock in her family. It doesn't mean she's some dysfunctional kid or anything. She just has different circumstances she's had to deal with.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Dexo posted:

She's got mortgages to pay and poo poo.

BlitzBlast posted:

(Why does she need to pay mortgages at all?

So I'm not following this Boruto thing closely but are ninja mortgages a real thing now?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It seems weird to watch that arc and think that Salad is a hosed up kid. She's a young kid wondering about her dad, and is upset with how cryptic her mom is being about the whole thing. Naruto is the only person to be a father figure to her, so it's not surprising that she would want to idolize and be like him. As Dexo said, acting mature above your age is a pretty normal thing for kids. Salad is an introverted kid who values close relationships (see: Chocho) as opposed to the extroverted Bort who takes after his dad and wants to be friends with everyone.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

So I'm not following this Boruto thing closely but are ninja mortgages a real thing now?

It was a throwaway joke Sakura said after getting frustrated at Sarada's line of questioning ended up punching the ground and destroying their house.

Sakura, in clearly a gag scene and not some serious plot point going forward, then said "oh God I still have money to pay on the mortgage/loan" it was an "adulting" joke.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it seems like sakura never answered any tough questions at all, which is why salad didn't even rely on her while researching sharingan. now there's a real important conversation that the two of them should have had long ago, but spouting vague platitudes is only helpful for placating a toddler. sakura makes a big show of dressing herself and salad with uchiha-marked clothes at all times but never bothered to explain what that even means. like, does salad know anything about itachi, obito and madara?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The less she knows about the Uchiha's history the less likely she will go insane. Remember what happened after Sasuke found the secret tablet in the basement. Instantly lost his poo poo and ran off.

Also unless you are in a time of war, it's probably fine to not tell a 10-12 year old about all the dark secrets in your family.

Probably don't need to be quite as cryptic as Sakura was, and just say the truth but just a heavily sanitized version of it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It probably wouldn't hurt for Sasuke to explain to his daughter some Uchiha history and give a little bit of detail about Uncle Itachi.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can understand not wanting to go into obito, since trying to make excuses for history's greatest monster to a child would be really hard. but madara? the most famous uchiha who ever lived, who went to war against the world and almost won, whose history is deeply connected to konoha and the uchiha clan? *sakura waves her hands so hard she destroys her house yet again*

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
The thing I don't get it that once again nobody actually corrects Salad on Karin not being her biological mother. The DNA results were the last thing she saw, remember? As far as she's concerned she's happily adopted.

(Also what was the Ino thing about? Surely Sakura and Ino hang out enough for her to not be weirded out by her knowing Sasuke, and Salad knows she's a happily married woman. What has Sakura told her.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Pyrotoad posted:

The thing I don't get it that once again nobody actually corrects Salad on Karin not being her biological mother. The DNA results were the last thing she saw, remember? As far as she's concerned she's happily adopted.

(Also what was the Ino thing about? Surely Sakura and Ino hang out enough for her to not be weirded out by her knowing Sasuke, and Salad knows she's a happily married woman. What has Sakura told her.)

Sakura did IIRC, it was right after Karen told Suigetsu what the umbilical cord thing was, and they cut back to Konoha.