Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Rinkles posted:

What is that supposed to mean?

They're in beta testing now, and don't want to commit to releasing on any specific platform, or support them during the beta period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm fully expecting the cost of attaining cards to be way too high upon release, then lower based on complaints. I'm sure they expect the same, which is why trading isn't a thing.

Even after lowering it will still be way too high but we will concede that at least it's not a high as it could be and pay it anyway.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Alaan posted:

Gotchas are way worse than cheaty face for gameplay.

Gotchas make what should be fun into a silent fuckfrst. But my friends are willing to pay the price of the box at eBay rates AND let me keep the lands so I'll suffer along.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/everything-you-need-know-about-magic-gathering-arena-2017-09-07

Their initial intentions right there.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Not trading doesn't matter. As long as the F2P model isn't total garbage it's going to be really bad for MTGO.

Shockingly people do this in Hearthstone, Eternal, shadowverse and all of the other Digital CCGs all the time without trouble.

Hearthstone and Eternal let you turn cards you don't want into cards you do. I don't think WotC will allow crafting.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Spotted on Tumblr. Anyone know if it's legit? Doesn't seem shabby at all, big mana definitely looks like a thing in Ixalan

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

quote:

We want to create a game that can evolve. We've created an all-new Games Rules Engine (GRE) that uses sophisticated machine learning that can read any card we can dream up for Magic.
Looks like RoboRosewater is getting a job

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Serperoth posted:

Spotted on Tumblr. Anyone know if it's legit? Doesn't seem shabby at all, big mana definitely looks like a thing in Ixalan

Yes, it was premiered on the Arena stream.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the intentions article on modo boils down to "we would like it to not die, but no promises"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
So do we think that when Wizards eventually unveils its new postModern constructed format it will start from what's on Arena, or Arena will have the earlier necessary sets added to it?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Serperoth posted:

I'm buying 4 of these. Modern elves just got busted.

Interesting thought from Reddit

It'll never happen, but please let this be a cycle.
We already have black enchantment ->Diamond Valley.
Green enchantment-> Gaea's Cradle.
Please, please...
let us have Red Enchantment-> Bazaar of Baghdad
Blue Enchantment-> Library of Alexandria
White Enchantment->Tabernacle

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 7, 2017

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
That looks like a real good card considering it can be flipped in the same turn it's played and replaces itself in your hand a good majority of the time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

evilweasel posted:

the intentions article on modo boils down to "we would like it to not die, but no promises"

I think the article is clear enough that there intentions are for this to scale from casual all the way up to the most competitive.

They also mention that this will make it easier to follow what is going on, full esports.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Do you drop the Chords or the CoCos for this?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

I think the article is clear enough that there intentions are for this to scale from casual all the way up to the most competitive.

They also mention that this will make it easier to follow what is going on, full esports.

No, I mean their accompanying article on the future of magic online. It says nothing at all. This one: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/magic-online-moving-forward-2017-09-07

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

"We are exploring opportunities to connect real-world in-store play with digital play. We are still developing and evolving our plans, but we want your Magic gameplay to be part of a larger, integrated experience over time, in ways that have never been possible before."

So exactly what people wanted from the start. I like it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

ThePeavstenator posted:

Obviously you drop the Elves, duh

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

If anything a newly built rules engine ought to be far easier to code new mechanics into than MTGO's 15 year old spaghetti code rules engine that's held together with duct tape and prayers.

I forgot to post it here but the job description when they were hiring for this was really cool. Experience with LR parsers and poo poo.

Did they explain what they meant about standard? If they follow the current TCG practice of dribbling out cards randomly with a dust/recycle mechanic, that tells me modo will still be the place with a full and complete metagame. I expect pros & streamers will get a playset of everything too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I forgot to post it here but the job description when they were hiring for this was really cool. Experience with LR parsers and poo poo.

Did they explain what they meant about standard? If they follow the current TCG practice of dribbling out cards randomly with a dust/recycle mechanic, that tells me modo will still be the place with a full and complete metagame. I expect pros & streamers will get a playset of everything too.

Sickening posted:

"We are exploring opportunities to connect real-world in-store play with digital play. We are still developing and evolving our plans, but we want your Magic gameplay to be part of a larger, integrated experience over time, in ways that have never been possible before."

So exactly what people wanted from the start. I like it.

Maybe your real world card collection could improve your digital one and vice versa? Doesn't that help at all?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ThePeavstenator posted:

maybe you drop the elvish visionaries for this, but i don't know that I would bother: by the time you have four elves on the board you should already have functionally infinite mana unless you got a really bad hand

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a VoD of the stream?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

Maybe your real world card collection could improve your digital one and vice versa? Doesn't that help at all?

My guess is maybe digital currency and promos for attending FNM and store events.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Serperoth posted:

This and Nissa make me want a 1 drop mana dork so badly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tainen posted:

My guess is maybe digital currency and promos for attending FNM and store events.

I mean the sky is the limit if they are smart, but this is WOTC after all.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I like that Wizards is showing signs of meaningful improvement to its digital offerings, but wake me up when I can play Modern or Legacy on it. Not that I'm not happy for the people who have been looking for a better digital Magic experience, but offering only Standard and Draft doesn't really do it for me. Maybe if they make it cheap enough I might jump in whenever Standard looks really cool in the future.

mossyfisk posted:

So do we think that when Wizards eventually unveils its new postModern constructed format it will start from what's on Arena, or Arena will have the earlier necessary sets added to it?

I had a similar thought but I think taking it that far is a little too :tinfoil: More likely, their card design going forward will also include "will this be too much trouble to code for Arena?" as another piece of criteria.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

The pokemon tcg has online codes in every pack that also give you a pack in the online version.
So maybe something like that?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

I mean the sky is the limit if they are smart, but this is WOTC after all.

I mean what I want is codes in booster packs but since they already said that attending Ixalan prerelease will increase you chance of beta access I am guessing they go the in store event route, at least at the start.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Modern Elves doesnt seem like a deck that would want this card. The only 3 mana and higher plays that elves plays is Ezuri, ArchDruid, CoCo, and Chord, and all of those have a bigger impact and do more the turn they are played than this card. The fact that it doesnt come online till your end step is a big deal. Earliest you can get it down in Elves is turn 2, and it still wont flip that turn.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 7, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This is extremely cool and I think it's probably the best way to make sure that you're able to add all the old/weird cards in magic.

It's probably going to lead to some hilarious bugs at some point but it's better then the current bugs basically being a backlog of data entry errors.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Count Bleck posted:

The pokemon tcg has online codes in every pack that also give you a pack in the online version.
So maybe something like that?

They never bothered to support Duels through something like this, right? Hopefully they've learned their lesson.

sit on my Facebook posted:

No trading is the single best decision they could possibly make

I play less MTGO than I otherwise would because I simply don't care enough to trade my chests to my trading account, trade the chests to a bot for tixs, trade the tixs to a bot for cards I need for a deck, then trade those cards to my main account and add them to a deck. I have to have two accounts because my original account with all the bot credits (which only exist because WotC doesn't care enough to implement fractional Event Tickets) is markedly slower in game because it has too many items in its collection.

Trading existing makes me less likely to play MTGO. Good riddance if Arena isn't complete poo poo.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

anglachel posted:

Modern Elves doesnt seem like a deck that would want this card. The only 3 mana and higher plays that elves plays is Ezuri, ArchDruid, CoCo, and Chord, and all of those have a bigger impact and do more the turn they are played than this card. The fact that it doesnt come online till your end step is a big deal.

I think elves can have this online by T3 and then it flips and leaves them CoCo Mana during their opponents turn. Or it lets them Chord into Craterhoof the next turn.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hellsau posted:

I have to have two accounts because my original account with all the bot credits (which only exist because WotC doesn't care enough to implement fractional Event Tickets) is markedly slower in game because it has too many items in its collection.
I just want to say this is the most mtgo thing I've ever read.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

I think elves can have this online by T3 and then it flips and leaves them CoCo Mana during their opponents turn. Or it lets them Chord into Craterhoof the next turn.

It doesnt flip until end step. So opponents can bolt, path, fatal push one of the cards you need to actually win (heritage/archdruid/ezuri) in that window. And by adding these it makes it less likely you have the critical mass of elves out, not more, sense you are drawing these and not your actual elves, also makes it more likely your CoCo's misfire. Craterhoof isn't really the standard wincon for Modern Elves from what I've seen. It seems more popular in the Legacy version.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Spiderdrake posted:

I just want to say this is the most mtgo thing I've ever read.

it was even slower before I deleted the several hundred old draft decks after reading about the dude here who had several thousand and was asked to delete them by wotc, manually, one at a time, because they were slowing down the servers

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

anglachel posted:

It doesnt flip until end step. And by adding these it makes it less likely you have the critical mass of elves out, not more, also makes it more likely your CoCo's misfire. Craterhoof isn't really the standard wincon for Modern Elves from what I've seen. It seems more popular in the Legacy version.

And the reason the legacy version plays Craterhoof is because they have access to Gaea's Cradle.

Modern elves plays 16-18 land, 6-8 non creature spells, and 34 creatures. They have an insanely low rate of CoCo Misfires.

Having an extra way to activate Ezuri twice in one turn seems fine.

Counterpoint: I am not an elves player, but I am friends with a couple high level Elves players, I will ask them for feedback.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

If I have this online turn 3, then I probably went:

t1: mystic

t2: mystic, heritage, -> archdruid

there are a lot of better things i can play t3 than this with that on the board, mostly an ezuri to swing for 15 with the mana i already have open. I only want to play this if I don't have an ezuri and want to dig for one, or I don't have an archdruid.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

In modern elves I just want to draw more cards, I'll try it out though as a reason to include a craterhoof or extra ezuri pumps. Not sure I need it with vizier and devouted druid still legal though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TwistedNails posted:

In modern elves I just want to draw more cards, I'll try it out though as a reason to include a craterhoof or extra ezuri pumps. Not sure I need it with vizier and devouted druid still legal though.

It does draw a card, the back half may be a gaea's cradle but lets not forget that the front half is also a decent upside.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellsau posted:

it was even slower before I deleted the several hundred old draft decks after reading about the dude here who had several thousand and was asked to delete them by wotc, manually, one at a time, because they were slowing down the servers

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Would love to be able to port my collection into a digital client but I see that as being an immense pain with the current template, and if you're Wizards you have counterfeits to worry about. If they wanted some sort of physical -> digital pipeline I could see them including digital codes in boosters like the Pokemon TCG, which has the side benefit of incentvizing people to buy sealed product. Another change to the card template to work with some sort of scanning or coded entry system seems like maybe too much effort.

Serperoth posted:

This is cool. Makes me want to go back and rebuild the old Genesis Wave ramp deck that I used to have but I don't think that deck has nearly enough creatures for this to pay off.