Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Duvall in Jack Reacher was lovely though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Duvall in Jack Reacher was lovely though.

Yeah, he really shines in that movie. The supporting cast in general – David Oyelowo, Richard Jenkins, Rosamund Pike, Werner Herzog, loving Jai Courtney somehow, Robert Duvall – does a lot to lift that movie up. Whereas the sequel had, what, Cobie Smulders?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, he really shines in that movie. The supporting cast in general – David Oyelowo, Richard Jenkins, Rosamund Pike, Werner Herzog, loving Jai Courtney somehow, Robert Duvall – does a lot to lift that movie up. Whereas the sequel had, what, Cobie Smulders?

Yeah, the lack of memorable supporting characters really sink the film. Like you said, even Jai Courtney was really good in the first film. The second one had... a barely compelling surrogate family thing going on? It was a real bummer coming off the first movie.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like the second one because it's the most "help, I'm getting old" movie I've seen Tom Cruise do.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think Steven Seagal sets the bar for that sort of thing, and makes everyone else look better by comparison.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Jai Courtney is totally fine when the movie gives him something to actually do; he was actually really good on Spartacus, even.

I will say, though, I'm kind of pissed that he of all people blew up and yet Peter Mensah and Manu Bennett are still C-listers.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Has it been mentioned how much bigger of a role Idris Elba is getting in Thor 3?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Drew Goddard is directing and writing X-Force.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/x-force-drew-goddard-director-ryan-reynolds-x-men-cable-josh-brolin-fox-1202163706/

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

bleh

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Should I care about X-Force? I see it has (had?) deadpool and cable but it looks serious and that doesn't sound good.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Should I care about X-Force? I see it has (had?) deadpool and cable but it looks serious and that doesn't sound good.

It's going to be a sequel to Deadpool 2 with even more teammates, so calibrate your anticipation around that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

and yet Peter Mensah and Manu Bennett are still C-listers.

So loving true, especially Bennett. He took what should have been a completely one note character and made him, well, not. You totally understood and empathised with his constant directionless rage and antagonism. It was kind of like the Hound, but done way better. Spartacus in general was 'Game of Thrones, but better'

Mensah is a treasure, but he's probably too old to do anything but compete with Lance Reddick for 'muscular mid-tier authority figures who are played by an actor who should be above this poo poo' kind of roles.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wanna see Mensah do a dad-action movie, like Taken but without the weird racism.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

sassassin posted:

I like the second one because it's the most "help, I'm getting old" movie I've seen Tom Cruise do.

Yet the Mission Impossible movies kick rear end

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I wanna see Mensah do a dad-action movie, like Taken but without the weird racism.

Peter Mensah vs the Ku Klux Klan. Directed by Kim Jee Woon. You're welcome Hollywood.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

So loving true, especially Bennett. He took what should have been a completely one note character and made him, well, not. You totally understood and empathised with his constant directionless rage and antagonism. It was kind of like the Hound, but done way better. Spartacus in general was 'Game of Thrones, but better'

Mensah is a treasure, but he's probably too old to do anything but compete with Lance Reddick for 'muscular mid-tier authority figures who are played by an actor who should be above this poo poo' kind of roles.

Everybody in Spartacus nailed it , but Jai Courtney somehow got away with a career.He just keeps doing flaming garbage so it will catch up to him.
I miss spartacus so bad, never felt so attached to characters than watching that show.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Snowman_McK posted:

Mensah is fantastic on Midnight, Texas.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I just now realise the X-Force member I want to see the most is Dr Nemesis. He's a mutant who can mess with your (or any creature's) DNA and very strongly believes in the power of science. He also dresses like some sort 1950s hero who fight mobsters.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Dr. Nemesis was very entertaining as was the rest of the XClub. Him and Fantomex were great personalities and additions.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is Dr.Nemesis I loving LOVE SCIENCE but in superhero form?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Sounds like he's Mr. Wizard but slightly nicer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This is the best:

quote:

Just looking at Chris Hemsworth on set, it’s clear that this might be the first time that a Thor adventure marks him. How do you look at the character and say this is going to be a really fun, enjoyable adventure when it might not be for Thor?

Taika Waititi: Right. Well, I think part of it is what we do with his personality. Thor spent two years on Earth hanging out with Robert Downey Jr., so he got some sass. He knows a little more about irony and sarcasm now. He’s got a little bit of Earth humor. He’s like a rich kid from outer space who spent some time slumming it for a bit. So he’s instantly become a bit more interesting. But because he’s in different parts of the cosmos, he’s still learning as he goes on.

When I came to this project, I always imagined Thor being a bit like Jack Burton [from Big Trouble in Little China]. What’s the version of Thor just wanting to get his truck back and then being pulled into this crazy adventure? Jack Burton’s a great hero. He’s making his way through the adventure. This a bit different since Thor is the protagonist and he’s driving it.

Thor as Jack Burton is perfect. As is Thor as rich space brat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I see that Taika Waititi is angling to do the Big Trouble in Little China remake.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I see that Taika Waititi is angling to do the Big Trouble in Little China remake.

We should all be so lucky.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yet the Mission Impossible movies kick rear end

Almost all Tom Cruise movies are good, watching Jack Reacher struggle with getting older (via generational drama, falling down a lot etc.) is simply what makes that particular Tom Cruise movie special.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

Almost all Tom Cruise movies are good, watching Jack Reacher struggle with getting older (via generational drama, falling down a lot etc.) is simply what makes that particular Tom Cruise movie special.

The Mummy 2017 would be the outlier in this equation

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Burkion posted:

The Mummy 2017 would be the outlier in this equation

Nah, there are some others. Knight and Day, Mission: Impossible 2, Rock of Ages, Far and Away, just off the top of my head...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"You know what ole' Thor says when the pillars of Asgard shake and the poison arrows start raining from the sky?...Give me your best shot, I can take it!!!"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ya know what ole Thor Odinson always says, what the hel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Good ole Thor Odinson. How I hate him.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Timby posted:

Nah, there are some others. Knight and Day, Mission: Impossible 2, Rock of Ages, Far and Away, just off the top of my head...

I will hear no poo poo talked about Mission Impossible 2. What a great movie, the behind the scenes were particularly interesting. There's like 5 super intense unique stunts in that movie. Like in the beginning where Tom Cruise is rock climbing without a rope? That's actually Tom Cruise doing that, for real. Evidently John Woo was really scared that he was going to be responsible for killing Tom Cruise.

And don't forget about Tom Crooze

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I also am a huge softie for MI2 and think it's a pretty easy call for second best MI movie given that I always found Abrams/Bird's flicks pretty milquetoast. Like, it's definitely funnier

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Inescapable Duck posted:

Good ole Thor Odinson. How I hate him.

Nice hammer. Goodbye, mr odinson

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Timby posted:

Rock of Ages is a really cool movie with a really transcendently terrible lead performance from That Guy With The Long Hair Who Sucked.

Tom Cruise was phenomenal in it. He really came very easily to the role of "rock star who stopped giving a poo poo"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

K. Waste posted:

I also am a huge softie for MI2 and think it's a pretty easy call for second best MI movie given that I always found Abrams/Bird's flicks pretty milquetoast. Like, it's definitely funnier

It's the worst in the series. By a wide margin.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Snowman_McK posted:

It's the worst in the series. By a wide margin.

I agree that it is the worst in the series. But we're talking about a series of exclusively good movies

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I agree that it is the worst in the series. But we're talking about a series of exclusively good movies

With the exception of MI2, which is somehow a dopey action movie and also really dull.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Snowman_McK posted:

With the exception of MI2, which is somehow a dopey action movie and also really dull.

You straight trippin, B. It's a John Woo action movie through and through. But its OK if you don't like it, we can still be friends :)

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

You straight trippin, B. It's a John Woo action movie through and through. But its OK if you don't like it, we can still be friends :)

Its cool I loving love MI2 as well. Its just ridiculous in a great John Woo way. Then again, Face/Off is loving retarded and I love that movie as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

John Woo action movies are, with, like three exceptions, bad (Hard Boiled, the Killer and the one with JCVD) but they're not dull. MI2 is bad and also dull. The most entertaining part is wondering how the flashback pause in the building got approved. I don't know if you remember the scene, but Ethan is about to destroy the virus, thus ending the plot, when he pauses and flashes back to people telling him how important it is that he destroys the virus. In the pause, the villains burst in. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever watched.

• Locked thread