Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

yeah i'll be honest one of the reasons I play Gwent is how pretty and well-done everything around the gameplay is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

frajaq posted:

yeah i'll be honest one of the reasons I play Gwent is how pretty and well-done everything around the gameplay is

Despite other limitations I like the console version of Gwent because a lot of the cards are just gorgeous on a large screen.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
There seem to be a lot more not-very-good players around the 2800MMR range than I remember from last season. Ran into some guy yesterday playing some unholy abomination of a 40-card Consume-Weather deck with Eredin, which worked about as well as you'd expect. Today I somehow accidentally bluffed a Henselt player into using Margarita on his own buffed Knight-Elect by hitting it with an Infiltrator; I've no idea what he thought he was protecting it from, as I'd already used Menno and it was way too big to kill with an NBrigade or steal with Treason, but that reset + lock clinched the game for me easily.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

dennyk posted:

There seem to be a lot more not-very-good players around the 2800MMR range than I remember from last season. Ran into some guy yesterday playing some unholy abomination of a 40-card Consume-Weather deck with Eredin, which worked about as well as you'd expect. Today I somehow accidentally bluffed a Henselt player into using Margarita on his own buffed Knight-Elect by hitting it with an Infiltrator; I've no idea what he thought he was protecting it from, as I'd already used Menno and it was way too big to kill with an NBrigade or steal with Treason, but that reset + lock clinched the game for me easily.

The way ranked ladder works now it means you only really need to start paying attention to your deck composition and your own plays once you start to get to 3.8-4k mmr. Everything below is whatever. You can lose 3 straight games, and win one and just be back to where you were if not ahead.

The cool kids all moving to the Pro Ladder also left Ranked Ladder as the new Casual Play.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Pro ladder was genius. Keep these tryhard netdeck "pilots" out of my fun card game thx.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Eh, there's no rewards for the pro ladder and I ain't anywhere near a tournament-caliber player (can't even really be hosed to play other factions, honestly). Was just barely lucky enough to break rank 20 last season thanks to Dashgaard, but I'd get my rear end kicked in the pros. Might try it one day just for fun after I'm high enough in the regular ladder, though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No Wave posted:

Pro ladder was genius. Keep these tryhard netdeck "pilots" out of my fun card game thx.

If you weren't a tryhard competitive player you would never interact with them in the first place, matchmaking works and it only puts you with people of very similar ELO.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Someone needs to put on Gwentdb a guide to all these terrible mill deck where the it says "If Avallach is dead and you lost R1 just forfeit".

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Man, I almost had the highest round point total I've ever seen with any of my NG decks. Round 2, I had 127 points on the board and a 12 point lead, and had three cards in hand when my poor opponent forfeited: Assire, what would have been a 20-point IBrigade, and a Vilgefortz that was going to pull me a 43-point Hailstorm. Opponent was running a 40-card Calveit deck. I really kinda felt bad for the guy; wasn't intending to curbstomp him quite that hard, just bleed him, but it sort of got a wee bit out of hand after I squished his Tibor with an Infiltrator-Menno combo and he kept stacking his front row with a bunch of Ambassador buffs...

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I'm seeing all factions getting play, maybe a little less SK but it may be me. Meta looks good again.

Granted, the way Gwent works balancing is probably a nightmare but they're doing their best. :) I like the constant back and forth with the community and the honesty about mistakes, it reminds me of Overwatch a bit, especially the first 6 months or so.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Shouldn't Ice Giant go down to 6 when you play clear skies? Just had a game where it stayed at 12 with no weather on either side.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I think the phrasing used to say "as long as" and now it doesn't?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
So apparently an Impera Enforcer on the board doesn't trigger when you play an Emissary, pull an NBrigade, and use it to kill the Emissary. Not knowing that forced me to go two cards down in R1 against one of those mulligan-all-the-elves-and-then-pass players. :saddowns:

(I still beat 'em in the end, though, so it's all good. :v: )

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Man, I launched gwent for the first time in god knows how long and didn't even realize they made all these big changes as well as introducing new cards. I heard that they had to freeze the season to address some of the issues with the patch, but what's good right now? Last I played, people were complaining about dagon token

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Knowlue posted:

Man, I launched gwent for the first time in god knows how long and didn't even realize they made all these big changes as well as introducing new cards. I heard that they had to freeze the season to address some of the issues with the patch, but what's good right now? Last I played, people were complaining about dagon token

Armor NR
Spy NG
Consume Monsters
Axeman SK

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Spy NG is very solid and consistent right now; Infiltrators are quite nice for spy synergy, getting more value out of NBrigades (by spy-tagging larger units), and nuking huge units with Menno (who now kills one spy), Assassins are pretty useful for clutch removals, and Enforcers are an interesting twist on the normal spy archetype (they damage units when spies are played instead of buffing). IBrigades are also agile now, which is a huge buff against Igni and Hailstorm.

Reveal isn't as strong this patch as it was back in early open beta, though the spotter changes do allow for some potentially interesting strategies. Probably tier 2 at best, though, if that; it requires a lot more finesse than the old "save giant Spotters till round 3" plan. Mirror matches are both better and worse; it's no longer about who gets the first Mangonel that lives on the board, but your opponent can gently caress your tempo by revealing your Foot Soldiers and remove value by revealing your Scorpions, so it's a bit of a tradeoff.

Mill is still Mill; the gold invulnerability change hurts it because Avallac'h can now be killed easily, but the changes to Emhyr balance it out a bit (Emhyr now plays a card before taking one back, so you can play Shackles and yank Avallac'h back on the same turn, then play him and yank him back with Cahir next turn, meaning he's only vulnerable to removal for one turn). It did get an interesting new bronze in Magne Division, though; quite useful for even more card draws if you can save them until after you've milled an opponent. The new Alba Spearman gives the archetype some much needed strong units as well. It's still very much a feast-or-famine deck, though; if your opponent isn't thinning or they kill Avallac'h, you're probably hosed.

Armor NR is probably a bit overtuned right now due to a few specific combos (namely Stennis the Menace, Stennis 2: Armored Boogaloo, St3nnis, and Stennis Part IV: Thanks, Shani!, with the Dun Banner Integer Overflow Cavalry making their inevitable cameos after the end credits). Machine NR Control seems to be decent as well, though not quite as consistent and more vulnerable to control/removal and weather than Armor is.

SK has a few more-or-less viable options; Axemen, self-wounding Greatswords, or giant Skirmishers (which can get some truly absurd value down combined with the new Captains, but does rely on a lot of moving pieces to really max it out).

ST isn't as good as it was before the most recent hotfix, as some of its powerhouse cards got nerfed, but you can still make it work in the lower ranks. Mulligan is still around, but without the silly power of pre-hotfix Officers, it's not dominant. It can still generate decent value and can line up big Hailstorms with all its movement units, though. Scoia'spell is still around, though I don't see the pre-patch pure spell decks anymore; usually they're more control-based ST decks with more units. Dorfs are still around as well, though they work a bit differently now with the Resilience nerf; it's more about unit spam than pure buffspam now.

Monsters seems a tad weak at the moment. Weather Monsters or Token/Weather hybrids can be good in some matchups, but are usually horrible against Armor NR. Consume seems rather weak, at least against Spy NG; I rarely have any trouble with it. The Behemoth change means you won't be facing a 25+ point Grave hag at the end, the resilience nerf means they won't be carrying over obscene amounts of strength with their Ekis, and Unseen Elder is now just a "thanks for putting most of your strength into that one giant unit for me to Igni/Menno/Hailstorm" now. Disrupt their consume engine or Nekkers at all and they're usually well and truly hosed, because they don't have a good way to generate much value otherwise.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
thanks friends

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Reveal NG is great because the best card of the deck is vanilla Geralt.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Anyone else using Artefact Compression in every deck?

I feel like I pretty much have to these days, like gently caress Stannis/Trollolo/Impera Brigade/Every Annoying SK Bronze That Keeps Coming Back

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
am i the only one who has problems closing gwent? pretty much every time the program just hangs indefinitely until i hard terminate it. is this just me?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

happens with me as well, they still haven't fixed that since closed beta

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

frajaq posted:

Anyone else using Artefact Compression in every deck?

I feel like I pretty much have to these days, like gently caress Stannis/Trollolo/Impera Brigade/Every Annoying SK Bronze That Keeps Coming Back

Just play Skellige and get five extra points on that AC :smuggo:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Gwentup has their new report, now with a whole bunch of bars and graphs, no more images where you need to squint at. Looks pretty cool even if their data collecting is still not that great compared to VS from HS. But it's getting better, specially the part where it shows winrates when using certain cards for each leader.

Guess who is top dog?

It's still Dagon. Though the true king in the north Radovid is the most popular

https://gwentup.com/report/2017/13

NR most played faction, but both ST and Monster aren't too behind in terms of strength. Calviet is basically saving NG from being irrelevant, and SK is not having the best of times.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
wait which dagon decks are that good? i thought monsters was all about consume now

Comp-U-Shit
Nov 14, 2008
You just play consume in Dagon now.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

botany posted:

wait which dagon decks are that good? i thought monsters was all about consume now

It's all hybrid decks, they rely on consume and use Dagon for some form of control though weather. Petrify's Dagoncore and Panda's hybrid, are probably the more popular variations. Though SuperJJ was playing another version on stream today that runs Hailstorm, Spy and Summoning Circle so expect that one to also start making the rounds.

It's big problem is it's own mulligan, lot's of blanks in form of harpies and nekkers and the 1 foglet.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
oh okay, i was hoping weather monsters was back :( i've been doing dailies with lifecoach's consume list and the mulligans kind of suck the fun out of the game for me right now. but i also don't really have the cards to run other factions, having concentrated on monsters. meh.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

http://gwentlemen.com/snapshot/ Gwentlemen also dropped their meta snapshot. It's interesting to look where the two lists disagree with one another. Nilfgaard spies are Tier one on the gwentlemen meta, but purely middle of the pack on the GwentUp data.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

is this going to be a Tempostorm Snapshot vs Vicious Syndicate Data situation again

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I think so much of it purely depends on where you are on the ladder. I played through the Axmen and weather eras for months but Dagon and Bran only started getting really ubiquitous around 3k. Even then I had a pretty good run of it with various mediocre Nilfgaard decks for quite a while because there were a lot of netdecking scrubs who didn't know how to use their hot poo poo decks well enough. Then at 4k I just slammed into a loving wall of Dagons and realized I wasn't good enough to beat top tier decks as played by people who actually knew what they were doing. I could probably have made it to rank 20 if I joined them instead of trying to beat them, but instead I took a vacation.

I think 2-3k is probably in a good place as far as deck diversity goes, but the people who've been grinding since closed beta are stuck playing each other and there's very little room at the top for loving around with suboptimal decks.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I generally play enough games each night to get the 100 ore reward and at the moment I'm swapping between Radovid Armor (boring) and this NG deck which is basically Spies.dec but with some of the good cards replaced with Letho and Fringilla (fun). I made modifications to a lot of Fringilla decks before finding this one and it seems to be about as good as you can get it if you want to play with those two cards.

I'm 3100 now and mostly seeing other NR/ST netdecks. People don't anticipate Letho or Fringilla and I like to think it's because the deck can often operate as a stealth spies deck until R3 when you break out one of those cards, but really it's probably just that I'm not at a good players rank yet. I haven't been Scorched or Gigni'd using Fringilla on my side of the board, and neither has anyone screwed up my Tibor. I know these cards all have glaring weaknesses and I'll probably have to abandon them as I climb, but they're so much more interesting than the alternatives.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Subvisual Haze posted:

http://gwentlemen.com/snapshot/ Gwentlemen also dropped their meta snapshot. It's interesting to look where the two lists disagree with one another. Nilfgaard spies are Tier one on the gwentlemen meta, but purely middle of the pack on the GwentUp data.

NG is harder to play well than Monsters or Armor NR; there's a lot more decisions to make and you really have to know your opponent's likely deck composition and plays and plan well ahead. Even a couple minor misplays can cost you the game. It can often compete with the other Tier 1 decks (especially if you tech in some meta-specific answers), but you can't gently caress up at all or you're done for.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Went back to play TW3 expansions, played the Skellige deck and recognised a lot of the cards from first week of open beta and now I've got a hankering for more gwent. Is there anywhere to get a good rundown of deck archetypes and how things like tempo and card advantage play out in this game? Even basic stuff like how do you actually secure wins? I'm guessing you don't have "finishers" as such but I'm guessing it's more like finishing combos that your opponent can't answer? This is hard to figure out with just the starter decks.

Also it seems to be taking a very long time to make even one gold card, and I need 4 to make fun decks, any tips beyond do my daily?

I also like the idea of ST agile and NG spy/reveal since there's fun stuff to do besides making lots of points, is it a bad idea to use my limited ore on these decks for a beginner?

hampig fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 14, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The game has changed a lot in each patch so it's hard to recommend beginner videos or guides since they're inevitably outdated. I would recommend checking out swim's stream and recent stuff from his youtube. He's pretty tolerable, plays a wide variety of decks, and you'll probably pick up a lot just watching someone competent grind out games for a bit.

As for getting started, it feels slow at first but in the medium term this game's economy is extremely more generous than any of its competitors. Make sure you keep an eye out for word of a patch and disenchant all the nerfed cards when it goes live, it gives you a huge leg up.

The power gap between golds and other cards is the lowest it's ever been, so don't feel too bad if you have to fudge the golds. Golds and silvers are spice/support for the rest of the deck in this game, bronzes are really the core.

NG spies is really strong but hard to play, ST in general is kinda tier 2 at the moment. Therefore I'd recommend NG between the two. Once you get a strong mainstream deck set up it tends to get easier from there, since you can dust all its nerfed cards for scraps for the new hotness when balance changes come around.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 14, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
my advice for first deck: go for a tier 1 deck for your first deck. hybrid monsters (with dagon and various consume cards), ng spies (good but hard to play well), and nr armor (brain dead easy to a fault) are all really good picks for first deck. once you can easily win games you can get 6 or 18 wins done easily each day and climb up to 3k+ really easily, which nets you a ton of kegs both from direct rewards and season end rewards, whereupon it gets easier to branch out and try other factions once you've been fueled by a ton of cards and scrap.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

NG spies is a challenging but very fun deck to play. I latched onto them from the beginning and still find them my favorite to play. MegaMogwai is a funny Spaniard who has a religious loyalty to the faction and plays it to perfection. He has videos on YouTube although some of the info in them is a little dated. For general game concepts and detailed written deck guides Swim is the master.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I would recommend playing NR because the cards are weird and you'll feel like a skillful underdog even though the faction is usually op.

I wish they'd swap the names of stennis and priscilla, playing her over and over would be like old times (Stennis is I think the most busted card in the game right now)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 14, 2017

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

I would recommend playing NR because the cards are weird and you'll feel like a skillful underdog even though the faction is usually op.

NR did spent most of CB being broken OP due to bad game mechanics and design, but has spent most of OB on the fringes of being almost good, until now. But still feels like right now there's only one archetype pushing it forward, which might explain why CDPR didn't decide to mess with NR in last hotfix.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Key Concepts to pay attention to, sounds like you know what the general concepts are so sorry if some of this is a bit patronising but:

Card advantage is king in gwent, its not the only way to win and often hard to obtain but when you see an opportunity to gain it, its never a bad mistake to take it.

Tempo in gwent is points on the board. The key interaction though is with the passing mechanic and card advantage. Gwent is 3 rounds, whoever won the last round has to go first in the next round. Going last in round 3 (even with even cards) is a big advantage. The main way they interact is gaining enough tempo advantage (more points on board in fewer cards) to force your opponent to give up the round on even cards, or if you pass have to play such that they go down 2 cards to win.

This means, assuming you don't screw up round two you go into round 3 with a whole card advantage which assuming relatively even decks is a huge advantage.

Also remember if you win round one (and there is no carry over advantage for your opponent) you can dry pass (or spy and pass) round two forcing your opponent to give up a card as they have to play at least one to win the round.

Otherwise pay attention to synergistic combos as there are some mad power swings in gwent.

And finally, gold and silver weather punish spreading out (Weather damages a unit on a row, gold weather hits all 3 rows, silver 2 rows) with ticking damage each turn that really adds up while G: Igni and hailstorm (and lacerate) punish stacking on a single row. They are the main power swings in the game at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, tempo and card advantage are the key to winning in Gwent. In a given round, you want to expend just enough resources that your opponent has to either pass when you're even (or up!) on cards and give you the win or else go down cards trying to beat you.

Going down one card to win round one is fine, because it gives you the initiative and you can make your opponent play a card to catch up, or bleed them for all they're worth, but beware over-committing. Winning a round two cards down will usually cost you the game. Likewise it's easy to think you're bleeding your opponent when actually they're bleeding you.

Keep a close eye on the card tracker, especially if you went first (which sucks in this game), beware your opponent's thirty point power plays (most decks have one), don't waste your own power cards/combos in rounds you can't win or will win anyway, and remember, you only have to win two rounds. It's way better for you if you win round one, but don't throw the game away trying to do it. Sometimes you have the just cut your losses.