Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Does going back and doing the challenges in Mario vs. Rabbids before I beat the game make the rest of the game too easy? I just barely killed the boss of World 2 and it felt like I've been getting progressively more underpowered. I don't want to accidentally get too many things from the challenge mode and turn the rest of the game into a cakewalk though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Challenge mode gives you more orbs and coins, but not TOO many more. Just a little bit of an edge.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
it only gives you like 3 orbs for each challenge, but ive found the extra money very useful to make sure i can buy the best weapons at the end and midpoint of each world. i wouldnt say it makes you too overpowered, but my standard for success is getting all perfects so maybe?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Their pachinko income has dropped by something like 80% due to gambling law changes, so they're trying to turn a profit through videogames again.

If these motherfuckers want my money they're going to make Suikoden 6 (or contract it to a company that could do a decent job) and apologize for the games they released on the DS and PSP. :colbert:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Manky posted:

I've been dreaming of this, long as it has the option to play vert

I too want a Neptunia game on Switch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

From the press release

quote:

L.A. Noire for the Nintendo Switch features the complete original game and all additional downloadable content, with specific enhancements including a Joy-Con mode with gyroscopic, gesture-based controls, HD rumble and new wide and over-the-shoulder camera angles, plus contextual touch screen controls for portable detective work.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

gently caress yeah HD rumble

now i can REALLY feel those interrogations

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Policenaut posted:

There's no way that game would fit on a cartridge unless they massively downgraded it. The drat thing is 60 gigs now.

They'll use the 360 version; it's about one-quarter to one-fifth that size.

And if they take the lazy route and downgrade everything to 720p, it'll be even smaller.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dr. VooDoo posted:

L.A. Noire had potential but they shoehorned in an unneeded open world to try and appeal to GTA fans and they put the players in control of a cop with a tenuous grip of reality who conflates expressing doubt with accuse of conspiracy working in league with lizard people randomly throughout the game

Doubt was originally Force, which is why he gets so fucjing mad when you use it

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If they had kept it as Force the interrogations would have made a lot more sense. Doubt doesn't fit at all for how Phelps reacts when it's used. I have no idea why they changed it but it hosed up a lot of peoples experiences. It's like changing the fire gun button in GTA into a button labeled "express mild discontent"

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
"Press" would've worked so much better than "Doubt."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

raditts posted:

Ugh, it's got that same ugly low poly style that Adventures of Mana did.
Don't fall for half-assed remakes and just play the original.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm pretty happy with that announcement. LA Noire is pretty much the only Rockstar game I somehow skipped playing.

Keep skipping.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

How to print money:

> Release every Gamecube game on the Switch. Especially Metal Gear: Twin Snakes, Metroid Prime, Godzilla, REmake, RE:0, and Mario Sunshine

I just spent hundreds of dollars on a gamecube, wavebird and gamecube hdmi mod to play Metroid Prime for the first time and omg how do play a fps with no strafe!?

Playing Sunshine next and then maybe Twin Snakes (I've never played a metal gear game and I'm dubious about how well it has aged).

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I decided to dive right in and buy NeuroVoider since it released today. I played it first in handheld mode, then with the pro controller and finally using a single joycon.
The game is a twin stick shooter where after each level you can switch out what weapons and parts you like, though I'm not 100% sure about skills. You get new parts etc from killing enemies, as well as health and eventually find yourself testing different weapons to see which work best. In handheld mode, aiming with the right analogue stick can be a bit annoying while you shoot with the left trigger, but you can swap weapons around to shoot with the right trigger, melee with the left, or shoot with both.
Weapons and parts come in all shapes and sizes, from scatter shots to lasers to energy balls that bounce around. You have to balance energy requirements and movement speeds. You have a choice of three robots; Dash, Rampage and Fortress, and each have their own weapons, parts and special skills. I got to the first boss using Dash and is dodge ability, which paired with a decent melee weapon could clear out smaller units.
The game comes with three difficulty settings; Arcade, Rogue and Voider. Arcade seems the most fair as the other two will bust you with tonnes of heavy units and your skills take time and kills to recharge.
Controls are fairly tight, with handheld and the pro controller feeling solid fits for the game. The single joycon setup is interesting as it seems to incorporate auto aim, with tracks the nearest enemy. While this probably messes the game up for people who like frantic aiming in their co op games, it means that up to four players can hop in and murder bots.
For the €14 I paid, I have no problem recommending this to fans of twin stick shooters. Now to test the co op with my brother.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

oopsie rock posted:

"Press" would've worked so much better than "Doubt."

it should've just been contextual, between options like "press", "doubt", "force" and "flip the gently caress out".

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KingEup posted:

I just spent hundreds of dollars on a gamecube, wavebird and gamecube hdmi mod to play Metroid Prime for the first time and omg how do play a fps with no strafe!?

Playing Sunshine next and then maybe Twin Snakes (I've never played a metal gear game and I'm dubious about how well it has aged).

You stand and trade shots cause you have 400% health of every enemy not long into the game if you explore.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why is Double Dragon 4 $15AUD?

It's like $5 everywhere else

:psyduck:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The secret Triple Double Dragon version

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Commissar Ken posted:

Keep skipping.

What's wrong with it? Seems like I'd enjoy it.

Infinitum posted:

Why is Double Dragon 4 $15AUD?

It's like $5 everywhere else

:psyduck:

It's not even worth $5. It's probably the worst "retro sequel" I've tried. It feels like a flash game that someone poorly pasted NES assists over.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

How to print money:

> Release every Gamecube game on the Switch. Especially Metal Gear: Twin Snakes, Metroid Prime, Godzilla, REmake, RE:0, and Mario Sunshine

> Release PS3/360 games that were too huge for the Wii

> Release every Wii U game (already underway with Kart and Pokken) especially Bayonetta 1/2 and all things Mario

> "HD" versions of the top tier DS and 3DS games like Link Between Worlds adjusted for single screen play

> Virtual Console (lol) including NES through Gamecube and Gameboy through GBA

> HD Remaster of Metroid Prime and Windwaker with customizable controls

> Make a non-Animal Crossing amiibo

> Special Edition HD Remaster of Metroid Prime with customizable controls, soundtrack, new Samus amiibo, art book, tchotchkes, and a steel case

> Metroid Prime 4 when?

> Metroid Prime

They'd make a grand off me, I'm still waiting for ANY of these to buy the console. I've played zero 3D metroid games and I kinda wanna know what the hubbub was about.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

What's wrong with it? Seems like I'd enjoy it.

The game is very stylish and technically impressive with a bunch of narrative issues. I'll probably pick it up again, not sure if it will be on Switch or PS4 though. It'll depend on performance.

Edit: and I drat sure won't pay $60. Like $15 tops.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

nah it's a bad game. it's the boring parts of GTA merged with Sierra point & click gameplay and a neat facial animation system which is completely undermined by the interrogation system.

there's a reason all anyone talks about is Cole flipping his poo poo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there are well told case stories and a lot of not good ones

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I wish I could get to the fun part of Puyo Puyo already :(

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

LA Noire is such an amazing game that, even though I got it for free on Steam, I have never installed it.

Lest I ruin my enjoyment by actually playing it.

It's that good.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

there are well told case stories and a lot of not good ones

Yeah, early on there was some pretty compelling stuff. I also really liked the atmosphere and music. If this is their way of dipping in their toes to see if there is interest in a sequel, I'm game. A sequel could be very good if they learned from their mistakes.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Morby posted:

A sequel could be very good if they learned from their mistakes.

Well Team Bondi went out of business after Rockstar ran them into the ground making LA Noire, so it probably couldn't be worse next time.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

chaleski posted:

Well Team Bondi went out of business after Rockstar ran them into the ground making LA Noire, so it probably couldn't be worse next time.

I forgot about that. And also that Team Bondi had terrible work crunch time practices that were horrible by industry standards. Not sure why they decided to try out this game vs any other R* game for the Switch.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

PowerBeard posted:

I decided to dive right in and buy NeuroVoider since it released today. I played it first in handheld mode, then with the pro controller and finally using a single joycon.
The game is a twin stick shooter where after each level you can switch out what weapons and parts you like, though I'm not 100% sure about skills. You get new parts etc from killing enemies, as well as health and eventually find yourself testing different weapons to see which work best. In handheld mode, aiming with the right analogue stick can be a bit annoying while you shoot with the left trigger, but you can swap weapons around to shoot with the right trigger, melee with the left, or shoot with both.
Weapons and parts come in all shapes and sizes, from scatter shots to lasers to energy balls that bounce around. You have to balance energy requirements and movement speeds. You have a choice of three robots; Dash, Rampage and Fortress, and each have their own weapons, parts and special skills. I got to the first boss using Dash and is dodge ability, which paired with a decent melee weapon could clear out smaller units.
The game comes with three difficulty settings; Arcade, Rogue and Voider. Arcade seems the most fair as the other two will bust you with tonnes of heavy units and your skills take time and kills to recharge.
Controls are fairly tight, with handheld and the pro controller feeling solid fits for the game. The single joycon setup is interesting as it seems to incorporate auto aim, with tracks the nearest enemy. While this probably messes the game up for people who like frantic aiming in their co op games, it means that up to four players can hop in and murder bots.
For the €14 I paid, I have no problem recommending this to fans of twin stick shooters. Now to test the co op with my brother.

I'm concur with this, my only complaint is that it's too easy (I just cleared boss 2 on my second run, and I've powered up multiple parts to max so far with no sweat), and it's not as good as nuclear throne or enter the gungeon. However, seeing as neither of those games are (currently) on the switch, and this game has the advantage of 4 player multiplayer, it's still a good pick

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Morby posted:

I forgot about that. And also that Team Bondi had terrible work crunch time practices that were horrible by industry standards. Not sure why they decided to try out this game vs any other R* game for the Switch.

They probably just picked the most recent game they made that would run well on it with minimal effort and threw out versions for other consoles while at it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Morby posted:

Because it's an asset they can ship out to a 3rd party to port to all the consoles.

With poo poo like GTA it'd be done in-house, so assets don't leak, taking devs away from whatever the next big project is (GTA6)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

la noire is a game with basically no fail state investigation-wise yet it still explicitly tells you when you've hosed up but punishes you for restarting

it's like a total clash of game design

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

Vegas Stakes DX plz

Day one purchase. I love the SNES version

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Kaubocks posted:

it's like a total clash of game design

This is the impression I got the whole time I played it, a bunch of half-decent game mechanics that dont mesh well under slick AAA presentation. Everything felt like less the sum of its parts.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

They probably just picked the most recent game they made that would run well on it with minimal effort and threw out versions for other consoles while at it

Infinitum posted:

Because it's an asset they can ship out to a 3rd party to port to all the consoles.

With poo poo like GTA it'd be done in-house, so assets don't leak, taking devs away from whatever the next big project is (GTA6)

That makes sense. I still wonder, though, why they didn't go with RDR or Bully. I assume with the work being in house for GTA that would also apply for old titles like GTA 3/VC.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I had a lot of fun with LA Noire and I look forward to playing it on my Switch :)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Unless it's like £30+ in which case gently caress that

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I enjoyed playing LA Noire a lot but idk if I can be bothered to play through it again. I have enough of a backlog without replaying games completely.

Except for Super Mario World.

Will definitely buy and finish that for the 1000th time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
when?

• Locked thread