Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm new to the new drug system and I have to say that it's hilarious how all the blunts are the size of rocket launchers. Apparently that's why people come to the Rim, you can get them the size of your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I watched a timber wolf on my map get into some luciferium a raider dropped. I made sure to call a caravan when she was around 10%. Hilarity and blood ensued.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seaside Loafer posted:

I think its only the characters with the addiction traits who wont do what you tell them. Those with or currently addicted will be straight for whatever their substance of choice is. Usually i just kill them it takes loving ages to dry them out. Though if you have a good one it can be worth the effort.

I find the easiest way to dry someone out is to get the "set up camp" mod. It will generate a tiny map big enough to live on when you set out, and big enough build a tiny hut on.

I have a couple permanent mini maps for aircraft refueling bases that I've built decent stone buildings or bunkers on, but since they sit empty 99% of the time they are the perfect 'get away resort and rehab' spas.

Well stocked with chemfuel stores, a few hundred survival meals, basic joy items, and even decent furniture that I didn't need back at the main base anymore, your worthless junkie pawn can clean themselves up and go full cold turkey while you can ignore them completely. Since you will never have much wealth on the map, they generally keep low expectations, and combined with all the bonuses you can build in cheaply, their mood generally stays really high even in the depth of withdrawal. Methadone from the psychology mod helps a ton with this too.

I don't think the mini camp/ landing maps are eligible for big events, so they're quiet too. Still have weather so fireproofing is important. They all have geothermal vents (in my experience) so reliable and clean power is simple to get without the threat of battery fires.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I thought the mini camp maps from that mod were temporary, just like raid maps after you clear the enemies. Do they not kick you out of the map after X days?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

They're temporary in that you can abandon them anytime, but no, you can stay there for years if you like.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Have I modded something weird in or do firefoam poppers wipe out shields in vanilla?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My nice fortress was destroyed by a huge Zzzzzzzzzzzt in the cooler which killed 9 colonists. It was spectacular. Now I know about having too many batteries and not running wires under walls.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

euphronius posted:

My nice fortress was destroyed by a huge Zzzzzzzzzzzt in the cooler which killed 9 colonists. It was spectacular. Now I know about having too many batteries and not running wires under walls.

Did you get any screenshots? Cause that sounds amazing and I want to see the mayhem.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Mzbundifund posted:

I thought the mini camp maps from that mod were temporary, just like raid maps after you clear the enemies. Do they not kick you out of the map after X days?

So, this is a small part of my main base, all the living and work area is dug into the mountain to the right there.

Right now I have two small fuelling bases north of the main. I don't really need two, but I was experimenting with them. The large aircraft can fly to the far one in a single go, fully laden, with no problem, but the small ones have to stop for gas.

The closer one is just a stone shack. (finally found a good use for the coloured lights too, let's me know where the edges of the landing pad are.

But this is the better base:

Complete with almost all the comforts of home, sans the addictive drugs.

They are very effective at cleaning out my junkies, don't cost much, and extend the range of my planes. I have turrets protecting them, but so far (knock on wood) I have not needed them. But as you can see, there isn't a lot of room, but there are a few resources, and the animals do cycle through so they could hunt and feed themselves if they're capable of that work, just to keep them busy if nothing else.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Seaside Loafer posted:

I think its only the characters with the addiction traits who wont do what you tell them. Those with or currently addicted will be straight for whatever their substance of choice is. Usually i just kill them it takes loving ages to dry them out. Though if you have a good one it can be worth the effort.

Sadly the lack of Z-levels means that unlike DF, it's not possible to immure someone but keep feeding them by dumping food through the roof. That said, Slung Blade's got a great solution with his bases pulling double duty. (A fishing mod would also let someone do that instead of hunting in the second example.) Also I guess they can serve as emergency reserves so that if the main base gets wiped out, survivors could evac to the airbases.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Mister Adequate posted:

Sadly the lack of Z-levels means that unlike DF, it's not possible to immure someone but keep feeding them by dumping food through the roof. That said, Slung Blade's got a great solution with his bases pulling double duty. (A fishing mod would also let someone do that instead of hunting in the second example.) Also I guess they can serve as emergency reserves so that if the main base gets wiped out, survivors could evac to the airbases.

Yeah I like having backup plans. I mean, poo poo, I even have a decently stocked clinic at these bases in case a raid goes south and I want to medevac someplace closer than the primary site.

Also, I've been meaning to dry out this methadone addict (sheesh, that's a harsh one, what am I supposed to treat that with? Flake?) so I figured why not send her off to ~The Spa~ for the benefit of the thread.

The low expectations really helps keep them on an even keel with just basic luxuries.

And, assuming I've sent enough resources to keep her alive for a year / few months, I can pretty well ignore this base completely if I'm busy tending to the primary base.

I mean, I don't, because it's fun and interesting to manage the "cabin in the middle of no where" aspect, but I could.

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

So, this is a small part of my main base, all the living and work area is dug into the mountain to the right there.

What mod gives the ship? Looks much easier to use than juggling a poo poo load of bat/wasp things from the cult mod.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Kubricize posted:

What mod gives the ship? Looks much easier to use than juggling a poo poo load of bat/wasp things from the cult mod.

This one: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31906.0

I suggest not filling the tank to 100%, keep it a few back. I think there's a bug where the ship becomes unusable if two pawns try to fill it and it goes past 100%. Still one of the best mods out there IMO.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm unclear on how a lot of these sorts of projects happen in the normal course of a game without very heavy savescumming and/or modding. 10 years in is a lot, but that is close to 40 colonists. the game under vanilla REALLY starts throwing hissy fits when you get to 10 colonists and recruiting becomes very difficult and slow.

under normal circumstances i tend to lock junkies in simple double-thick walled 'cells' that have a nice bedroom, an outdoor horseshoes peg, and an outdoor work activity - i usually focus on highly work intensive activities like grand art sculptures, research, etc. the efficiency doesn't matter, the work is really only there to make them go outside to avoid cabin fever maluses. load the place up with food, wall off the doorway, and order food replenished as needed when the junkie is sleeping or is stable post freak out. you can load it up with a month's worth of pemmican if you want but that's a lot of work specifically for drying someone out. i'd rather just take down a wall every now and again to truck in more berries or whatever.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Randy Random likes to throw guys at you. I'm at 20 and I've stopped recruiting people because I don't want any more but it hasn't stopped giving me downed raiders and I still get a distress call or two every year.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Slung Blade posted:

I find the easiest way to dry someone out is to get the "set up camp" mod. It will generate a tiny map big enough to live on when you set out, and big enough build a tiny hut on.

I have a couple permanent mini maps for aircraft refueling bases that I've built decent stone buildings or bunkers on, but since they sit empty 99% of the time they are the perfect 'get away resort and rehab' spas.

Well stocked with chemfuel stores, a few hundred survival meals, basic joy items, and even decent furniture that I didn't need back at the main base anymore, your worthless junkie pawn can clean themselves up and go full cold turkey while you can ignore them completely. Since you will never have much wealth on the map, they generally keep low expectations, and combined with all the bonuses you can build in cheaply, their mood generally stays really high even in the depth of withdrawal. Methadone from the psychology mod helps a ton with this too.

I don't think the mini camp/ landing maps are eligible for big events, so they're quiet too. Still have weather so fireproofing is important. They all have geothermal vents (in my experience) so reliable and clean power is simple to get without the threat of battery fires.

I got the sedative mod and just kept them unable to stand up for a month or two. I think this is the most humane solution.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Coolguye posted:

i'm unclear on how a lot of these sorts of projects happen in the normal course of a game without very heavy savescumming and/or modding. 10 years in is a lot, but that is close to 40 colonists. the game under vanilla REALLY starts throwing hissy fits when you get to 10 colonists and recruiting becomes very difficult and slow.

under normal circumstances i tend to lock junkies in simple double-thick walled 'cells' that have a nice bedroom, an outdoor horseshoes peg, and an outdoor work activity - i usually focus on highly work intensive activities like grand art sculptures, research, etc. the efficiency doesn't matter, the work is really only there to make them go outside to avoid cabin fever maluses. load the place up with food, wall off the doorway, and order food replenished as needed when the junkie is sleeping or is stable post freak out. you can load it up with a month's worth of pemmican if you want but that's a lot of work specifically for drying someone out. i'd rather just take down a wall every now and again to truck in more berries or whatever.

It's only 32 33!

Also I don't keep them all awake at once. The raiders and the escape pod inductees get medical treatment, a meal, a t-shirt and pants, and then into the freezer they go until I need them.

Biggest 'problem' I have is that almost nothing can penetrate my defensive network so I rarely lose people. I have 4 vulcans and a few dozen turrets out past the wire keeping the courtyard secure. Plus, uh, these:

And yeah, I play randy after the first year or two to keep the raids within reason.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Sillybones posted:

I got the sedative mod and just kept them unable to stand up for a month or two. I think this is the most humane solution.

Wait which mod is this?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Danaru posted:

Wait which mod is this?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=884846971

This one. Seems fine. Can't stop someone insane, but you can drug them out before they do something bad. Allows me to keep the addict people instead of just murdering them.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
This game would be better with z levels.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

euphronius posted:

I had this happen on my last rich explorer game. Hadn't gotten converted over to stone walls yet, and it set the entire base on fire in seconds. I was in a tropical jungle biome and it refused to rain. Burned everything I had up. I installed the circuit breaker mod right after that and haven't looked back :P

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Coolguye posted:

The trick is Randy is basically a different game. Cass and Phoebe assume a direct ramp to launching a ship for 10-15 people by year 4 or 5 at the latest. Recruiting event only fire if you are below their expected soft cap, and you get prisoner recruit chance bonuses when below the soft cap or penalties when at or above the soft cap. They try to shoo you off by making it economical by keeping the bays needed to launch around a dozen, and by the time ramp factor in the decision making part of the storyteller basically go into gently caress you mode of you're around much longer than 5 years.

Randy removes the soft population cap and removes the time ramp factor. If you want a decade base in the easiest way possible, spend the first couple years under Cassandra to prevent a string of bad events before self sufficient, to get bonuses for recruiting your first dozen, and because the bimonthly raids give you poo poo tons of wealth. Then switch to Randy because you reach an inflection point where you have a better chance to recruit without the storyteller thumb on the scale, and the possibility of getting event hosed by Randy is actually much kinder compared to when Cass reaches a time factor where her monthly event quota means 3 zzzzts, a firestorm, a fallout, and an eclipse.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I guess under full disclosure I should say that I do have a mod that makes bugs from infestation events as weak as kittens.

Seriously though, gently caress infestations, I keep my base clean and tidy, there is no justification for bugs the size of a panther just materializing inside a sealed stone chamber.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yes, i'm well aware that randy is different (read: he is the only storyteller worth playing), but things like recruit chances, down chances, etc etc are still in effect. the idea that the soft population cap is no longer there is blatantly wrong, try to recruit someone at 3 colonists vs 9 with randy and you will see what i mean. that he can randomly pull a wanderer in distress event when you have 8 dudes and cassy/pheobe cannot does not explain the 30+ colonist settlements.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Time is all that matters. Ten years is a really long time. I'm at less than two years in my current save and I have 13 guys, I've probably passed up 3 or 4 recruitment events. Between slaves, captures and events it's pretty easy to get to 30 in ten years. Even if you only have a 1% chance to recruit somebody you've got a pretty good chance eventually when you can hit them up once (twice?) a day for months on end. You don't need mods to do it, and the only couple times I've reloaded were total colony wipes in the first year. It's just not as hard or inexplicable as you're making it out to be.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I often opt out of recruiting many people (more than 6-7) for a while until I get my base in order and some research under my belt.

More colonists isn't always better

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Time is all that matters. Ten years is a really long time. I'm at less than two years in my current save and I have 13 guys, I've probably passed up 3 or 4 recruitment events. Between slaves, captures and events it's pretty easy to get to 30 in ten years. Even if you only have a 1% chance to recruit somebody you've got a pretty good chance eventually when you can hit them up once (twice?) a day for months on end. You don't need mods to do it, and the only couple times I've reloaded were total colony wipes in the first year. It's just not as hard or inexplicable as you're making it out to be.

even your example here has so many conditionals I think it actually is

i mean I've played no less of this game than anyone else here and im the one who just finishes games and gets it over with. it is why I always talk about the lower labor solutions that anyone can manage. having finished dozens of games 10 colonists in 2 years is exceedingly rare and a 1% chance to recruit becomes an unexpected positive surprise at that level for most prisoners. it is usually a fraction of a percent at that point without an exceptionally skilled warden.

i mean this isn't even meant to say anything about anyone it's just to point out that these massive colonies with humongous vaults are just not normal or usual and it surprises me that pretty much all screenshots shared in this thread include both.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Did you get any screenshots? Cause that sounds amazing and I want to see the mayhem.

No

But there weren't any bodies left to bury :psyduck:

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Coolguye posted:

having finished dozens of games 10 colonists in 2 years is exceedingly rare

can't you just call in slavers and buy more colonists

I play basically vanilla and getting 10+ is quite easy and happens after several raids. This is with Randy, of course. And my warden only has about 11-12 social on average. Most of my recent games I'm getting 12 colonists pretty regularly- 6 to stay at home, 6 as the raiding party. These games are a combination of recruiting and buying slaves. I rarely accept refugees because mine always happen to come right after a big gently caress you event or other massive raid where some of my colonists are injured already.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Coolguye posted:

even your example here has so many conditionals I think it actually is

i mean I've played no less of this game than anyone else here and im the one who just finishes games and gets it over with. it is why I always talk about the lower labor solutions that anyone can manage. having finished dozens of games 10 colonists in 2 years is exceedingly rare and a 1% chance to recruit becomes an unexpected positive surprise at that level for most prisoners. it is usually a fraction of a percent at that point without an exceptionally skilled warden.

i mean this isn't even meant to say anything about anyone it's just to point out that these massive colonies with humongous vaults are just not normal or usual and it surprises me that pretty much all screenshots shared in this thread include both.

But... I don't have any conditionals in there? Unless you count reloading due to total failure. I just played a normal game, I have a few mods like EPOE and cultist but if anything cultist has decreased my population due to sacrifices. I don't really pay attention to recruitment percentages so you're probably right that it's fractional, but it happens eventually. I guess cult helps my warden's social skill, so that could play into it, but the recruiting chance still sucks. In my own personal experience (most of which was 100% vanilla), my population right now is pretty normal. I like to keep it a little less than that usually because feeding everyone properly gets to be a pain. The megaforts are definitely unusual but all it takes is time. Probably the reason they make up the bulk of the screenshots is because screenshots of normal stuff are boring, so they don't get posted.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

But... I don't have any conditionals in there? Unless you count reloading due to total failure. I just played a normal game, I have a few mods like EPOE and cultist but if anything cultist has decreased my population due to sacrifices. I don't really pay attention to recruitment percentages so you're probably right that it's fractional, but it happens eventually. I guess cult helps my warden's social skill, so that could play into it, but the recruiting chance still sucks. In my own personal experience (most of which was 100% vanilla), my population right now is pretty normal. I like to keep it a little less than that usually because feeding everyone properly gets to be a pain. The megaforts are definitely unusual but all it takes is time. Probably the reason they make up the bulk of the screenshots is because screenshots of normal stuff are boring, so they don't get posted.

IF you get the events, IF you get the prisoners, IF they are recruitable in a practical sense, IF you get the slavers (also, slave merchants are progressively less likely to carry colonists the further over the soft cap you are), there's a hundred and one conditions in your scenario here and you don't even seem to be aware of them. a fractional percentage means you need 200+ recruit attempts to get a success and he imposed cooldown on attempts means that this will take literal years, statistically. "It happens eventually" does not jive with the numbers here, which is the point. these games are serious anomalies and it consistently surprises me that this is what gets passed around.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

If i want to challenge myself a bit and move on from temperate and boreal, do you guys prefer arid shrubland or tundra? Not sure I would enjoy straight desert or ice sheet since I like to have animals.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Coolguye posted:

IF you get the events, IF you get the prisoners, IF they are recruitable in a practical sense, IF you get the slavers (also, slave merchants are progressively less likely to carry colonists the further over the soft cap you are), there's a hundred and one conditions in your scenario here and you don't even seem to be aware of them. a fractional percentage means you need 200+ recruit attempts to get a success and he imposed cooldown on attempts means that this will take literal years, statistically. "It happens eventually" does not jive with the numbers here, which is the point. these games are serious anomalies and it consistently surprises me that this is what gets passed around.

Don't really know what to tell you I guess, other than that I'm well aware how the game works. It's been very easy in my experience once I mastered the basics and the fact that these games exist is proof that it's possible. They're outside the norm, sure, but only because they're super long running games. Have you ever tried it?

e:

Eltoasto posted:

If i want to challenge myself a bit and move on from temperate and boreal, do you guys prefer arid shrubland or tundra? Not sure I would enjoy straight desert or ice sheet since I like to have animals.

I like shrubland and rainforest maps a lot but tundra is more challenging IMO. Depends what you're going for but I've been doing tribal starts in rainforests lately and it's pretty fun.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 8, 2017

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Mods have been available for Rimworld pretty much since the beginning, and I think an unusually large portion of the playerbase uses them. It would be cool to see stats from Ludeon.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

it really isn't hard at all to get >10 with Randy

Even IF the recruit chance was fractional, it's not like you are only trying to recruit one person at a time. Once you have 10+ colonists, it is likely that you will have several raiders downed and captured. If you wanted to, you could continually cycle people in prison; while the individual recruit time would be year(s), you'd still get a new recruit every few seasons. Doing this would result in a higher social score for your warden, which means even faster recruitment.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Slung Blade posted:

I guess under full disclosure I should say that I do have a mod that makes bugs from infestation events as weak as kittens.

Seriously though, gently caress infestations, I keep my base clean and tidy, there is no justification for bugs the size of a panther just materializing inside a sealed stone chamber.

What is the trigger for the event? Having a large amount of mined out mountain?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
With randy I got up to 13 with vanilla. At that point I felt like moving on to another map.

It all just comes down to rescuing downed raiders and recruiting them. They pretty quickly get 2.5% chance to recruit generally. Two times a day takes 20 days on average, which isn't too long. From reading, Randy doesn't really try to murder your high pop colonies until they get really big.

Now I am using double caps mod because I like it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Sillybones posted:

What is the trigger for the event? Having a large amount of mined out mountain?

Pretty much, yes.

They like dark and warm better than bright and cold, but eventually they will spawn. Usually in my hallways.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Omniblivion posted:

it really isn't hard at all to get >10 with Randy

Even IF the recruit chance was fractional, it's not like you are only trying to recruit one person at a time. Once you have 10+ colonists, it is likely that you will have several raiders downed and captured. If you wanted to, you could continually cycle people in prison; while the individual recruit time would be year(s), you'd still get a new recruit every few seasons. Doing this would result in a higher social score for your warden, which means even faster recruitment.

I had a pirate raid followed by a tribal raid in my about 14 person colony that led to 8 prisoners, 6 of whom I decided were useful enough to recruit. One year later, all but one has joined. Almost every game I play I end up (after getting a fifth colonist) having at least two captures a raid, and I can often get through those early raids without death, and rarely even without injury with no turrets.

Today's bonus was a caravan where one dude went beserk and their Molotov carrier lobbed one at the head trader (melee) who had just taken a bullet. I didn't realize it until she was 1.2 hours away from bleeding out from a 70% wound... so the rest of the caravan stuck around waiting for her to recover until they all collapsed from malnutrition and now I've got 4 new potential recruits and releasing 7 to get the faction to stop hating me.

I prefer jungle maps, but I always try to have a base wall or at least a firebreak quick. Lightning storms can quickly lead to massive fires, and vegetation grows back so fast that the boomalope that took a lightning bolt and succumbs to infection can set off yet another massive fire. Sleeping sickness also really sucks - penoxycyline is a must. Panthers are bastards and love hunting your boars and even colonists tending the fields.

But I love taming chinchillas. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just had a manhunter pack of chinchillas yesterday. I closed and forbid my door and waited for a caravan. There were few survivors and lots of infections. Gained faction standing by nursing them back to health and got a pile of weapons/loot.