Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if the world is truly a globe then theres gotta be some hot explanations coming up as to why people don't go the other way over reverse mountain or hell why dont people in the various blues scale and traverse the red line instead of the seas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah does it not work like this.

You enter Reverse Mountain and end up at the start of the Grandline. (Unless you can cross the Calm belt somehow.) Then start your way down one of eight or so paths that lead to the other side of the globe at Sabaody Archipelago and Fishman island. At the top of this part of the Red Line is mariejois. As people are not allowed up there and getting up there is hard. They go under it to fishman island instead. Then end up in the new world which leads all the way back to the Reverse Mountain side of the Red Line.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
yes this is the intended path, but there are powers shown that could easily bypass the barriers if they wanted to. unless there was just something that didn't allow them to

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The red line is obscenely tall and a sheer cliff face. Climbing it would be an absurdly difficult task without infrastructure that presumably exists in Marijoa.

As for the reverse mountain the canals only flow one way and once you're in them you're either dashed against the rocks and destroyed or swept to the grand line.

The real mystery is if there's anything besides the calm belt blocking access to the very end of the new world. The calm belt has been shown to be difficult but not completely impossible to cross, yet no one has ever reached the end of the new world that way. The only hint we have is that Raftel is somehow hidden in such a way that it's impossible to find without the road ponegliffes.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regy Rusty posted:

The red line is obscenely tall and a sheer cliff face. Climbing it would be an absurdly difficult task without infrastructure that presumably exists in Marijoa.

As for the reverse mountain the canals only flow one way and once you're in them you're either dashed against the rocks and destroyed or swept to the grand line.

The real mystery is if there's anything besides the calm belt blocking access to the very end of the new world. The calm belt has been shown to be difficult but not completely impossible to cross, yet no one has ever reached the end of the new world that way. The only hint we have is that Raftel is somehow hidden in such a way that it's impossible to find without the road ponegliffes.

Everyone had assumed that Raftel was just right next to Reverse Mountain, like a finish line. But the revelation in the Zou arc was that it's just hidden somewhere in the New World. Finding Raftel and circumnavigating the world are actually two different goals, not one and the same.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Begemot posted:

Everyone had assumed that Raftel was just right next to Reverse Mountain, like a finish line. But the revelation in the Zou arc was that it's just hidden somewhere in the New World. Finding Raftel and circumnavigating the world are actually two different goals, not one and the same.

I still get the feeling that it's near the end of the line, but yes you could be right.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I assume it's near the end as well. But it's likely near impossible to find for some reason.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

That waterfall in the middle of Enis Lobby is really weird. I wonder if it was damage from the super weapons 800 years ago.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Lpzie posted:

That waterfall in the middle of Enis Lobby is really weird. I wonder if it was damage from the super weapons 800 years ago.

why wont it fill up????

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Is there a recommended source for the back issues? Am I gonna miss anything by just getting the retail collections from Barnes & Noble or whatever?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Is there a recommended source for the back issues? Am I gonna miss anything by just getting the retail collections from Barnes & Noble or whatever?

The Viz books are great, and reading them that way also gets you the SBS corner where Oda answers fan questions and gives tidbits about the world and story that haven't been elaborated on in the main comic.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Julias posted:

It's basically always worth it in the US, since you get 4 Yu-Gi-Oh! Promo cards, and sometimes those can sell for mad cash.

This is the most recent one, for example:

:signings:

the only reason this one is expensive is because spellcasters currently dominate the format. do not be fooled. yugioh prices are more volatile than nitro

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

The Viz books are great, and reading them that way also gets you the SBS corner where Oda answers fan questions and gives tidbits about the world and story that haven't been elaborated on in the main comic.

How far behind is the Viz translation from the current manga?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Larryb posted:

How far behind is the Viz translation from the current manga?

Volume 83 ends in the middle of the Cracker fight. 84 comes out in November.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

that his name's zoro, just like a samurai

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

mabels big day posted:

Subscribing for a year of english WSJ is pretty cheap.

And it pays for itself if they release a decent Yu-gi-oh card with it. The last one is sitting in the 70-100 dollar range.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Flubby posted:

Fruit awakening is really going to mess with the limits of what the different types can accomplish. Magellan still might not be able to turn his body into fluid poison unaffected by physical attacks, but if you take Doflamingo turning buildings into string for example, he could probably turn the entire enviroment into poison. There would be no safe place. Awakening is weird.

From a while back, but could Hell's Judgment (the red poison demon thing) be considered a form of Awakening considering how it poisoned the floor and walls at Impel Down?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AkumaHokoru posted:

the only reason this one is expensive is because spellcasters currently dominate the format. do not be fooled. yugioh prices are more volatile than nitro

:thunk:

It's actually not-It's just a 3 of if you wanna play fan-favorite Dark Magicians, which is a rogue as hell deck dude.

You are right about prices being volatile though, so if you've got a copy and don't want to keep it, I highly recommend selling it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rudoku posted:

And it pays for itself if they release a decent Yu-gi-oh card with it. The last one is sitting in the 70-100 dollar range.

... wouldn't Yu-gi-oh players just sub to WSJ? Or are the cards you get random?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... wouldn't Yu-gi-oh players just sub to WSJ? Or are the cards you get random?

...if they were smart, yes.

Yu-Gi-Oh players generally aren't smart. Or do I need to bring up the "Spell Chronicle" Debacle.

But to actually answer the question, you get a promo every three months, but you don't really know what they're gonna be ahead of time out of a selection wsj subscribers can vote on. Like, besides this specific one, none of them have really been valuable in the past few years aside from Frightfur Tiger for a hot minute when Fluffals were meta relevant for like 2 weeks and was about $70. But you can still usually sell the cards for a couple of bucks to make back the price of the subscription anyways, so it's a safe investment.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Julias posted:

:thunk:

It's actually not-It's just a 3 of if you wanna play fan-favorite Dark Magicians, which is a rogue as hell deck dude.

You are right about prices being volatile though, so if you've got a copy and don't want to keep it, I highly recommend selling it.

casters got all their silly poo poo back last format. they were wrecking face to be fair this is a month ago and the yugi meta is as volatile as the prices.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AkumaHokoru posted:

casters got all their silly poo poo back last format. they were wrecking face to be fair this is a month ago and the yugi meta is as volatile as the prices.

Maybe at your locals, but as a whole? The deck is tier 3 at best, and that's being generous.

Also lmao at saying " the yugi meta is as volatile as the prices," at a time when we've had near Tier 0 Zoodiac/True Draco format for the past 4 months, and won't change until Konami puts out a new Banlist, which isn't gonna happen until they've sold enough Zoodiac reprints because they're a greedy-rear end company. :(

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Regy Rusty posted:

To go back to this quick, the Germa actually do this. Their boats can scale the Red Line, so they can be wherever they please. Its how they got to Totland.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Marijoa also apparently has entrances on all of the Seas and is one of the two known way to get into the Grand Line. The problem with it as a route it that it is entirely controlled by the World Government.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We already know that the biggest players can get around the world with relative ease - the government, the emperors, several of the warlords, the Germa - and everyone else is locked out by the Red Line itself, Marijoa and the Calm Belt. Plus, if everyone else took the quick way to the end of the New World they would die pretty much within hours or days of their arrival because of how brutal the seas are.

But here it's just part of the mystery of Raftel, where in other series it would be a dumb plot hole that would only get wider as the series went on.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It's also possible that much like the Grand Line itself the Calm Belt gets more and more dangerous the closer to the end you get. With bigger and crazier Sea Kings. Maybe even some who attack Seastone hulled ships.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Giants as well, I almost forgot the giants, a bunch of them have made it away from Elbaf just fine.

And I've not really thought about it before, but why isn't there a naval base at reverse mountain? It seems like an obvious place to prevent pirates getting through.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Maybe there was one but laboon headbutted it.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/09/07-1/kyoto-city-plans-one-piece-20th-anniversary-collaboration-event-this-october

I think Wano's going to be happening pretty drat soon if tourism promotions are going to be hypingit next month

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They're going to coup de burst out of there in the next chapter or very shortly after, so we're going to see the first scenes of Wano very shortly, even if it's a quick aside like the first time we saw Sanji and co on Zou.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They're going to coup de burst out of there in the next chapter or very shortly after, so we're going to see the first scenes of Wano very shortly, even if it's a quick aside like the first time we saw Sanji and co on Zou.

They're not leaving sanji behind dude :colbert:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh yeah, that guy.

He's gone to an island further along, so if they burst in that direction then they can lead Big Mom straight to the cake and pick him up for the escape along the the way.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm legitally worried Big Momma's going to walk into the ocean and drown. I can't remember if the candy ocean works the same but it's be so anti climatic

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Oda is well past the point where I'd be worried about him making something anticlimactic.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Spoiler: everyone will have a big party at the end of the arc

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Giants as well, I almost forgot the giants, a bunch of them have made it away from Elbaf just fine.

And I've not really thought about it before, but why isn't there a naval base at reverse mountain? It seems like an obvious place to prevent pirates getting through.

That's basically what Loguetown is. I assume there are equivalents in North, West, and South Blues.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I kind of like the theory about the One Piece involving making the world whole again so people can easily get from one hemisphere to the next while sailing through the grand line with ease (not having to go up reverse mountain and all that). Explaining how the World Government used a method to split up the world during the lost 100 years in order to make it easier to rule everyone.

I'm sure there are holes in this theory (and I'm probably leaving details out from the massive read about it), but uniting the oceans and making it so anyone can travel seems like a pretty Luffy idea.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Oda is well past the point where I'd be worried about him making something anticlimactic.

Well, an anticlimax would certainly be new and unexpected.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mr. Fowl posted:

Well, an anticlimax would certainly be new and unexpected.

It could be argued that Jack getting owned by Zunisha was an anticlimax. But the real climax of that arc was the samurai meeting the minks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Havoc904 posted:

I kind of like the theory about the One Piece involving making the world whole again so people can easily get from one hemisphere to the next while sailing through the grand line with ease (not having to go up reverse mountain and all that). Explaining how the World Government used a method to split up the world during the lost 100 years in order to make it easier to rule everyone.

I'm sure there are holes in this theory (and I'm probably leaving details out from the massive read about it), but uniting the oceans and making it so anyone can travel seems like a pretty Luffy idea.

i mean, this easily solves the problem of all blue

i still think the WG flooded the world. luffy is obviously a descendent of the devil, water counters devil fruits, devils are the natural enemy of god, they are gods. they flooded (or plan to flood the world again) to defeat the devils of the world.

the sunlight tree, eve, runs all the way up to mariejois. eve is the one who was tricked by the devil into eating the fruit of the tree to gain knowledge. they control the source of the devil fruits.

i think maybe the ocean interacts with the devil fruits. like, maybe reverse mountain sucks up all the water and brings it to the roots of the tree eve, and thats how fruits are reborn and created on that tree. or something along those lines... idk. since devil fruit users sink or something... their fruit returns to the tree somehow if its not reborn in a nearby fruit or something...

anime was right fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 9, 2017