Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Timby posted:

The space combat is fun.

That's about all I'm willing to give it.

PVP was actually super fun a year or two ago, but I hear they murdered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Timby posted:

The space combat is fun.

That's about all I'm willing to give it.

I wish they'd gone full 3d with it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The show hasn't premiered yet and I bet they're already gearing up for that same backpedal retooling ENT and JJ Trek did halfway through. "No, wait, we're sorry we tried that grim poo poo unsuccessfully for the billionth time in a row. Look... it's more like TOS now, you like TOS right? Colors! Fun!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Eh, for Enterprise I don't think aesthetic was ever a problem. Loved the set design and practical uniforms that felt like real astronauts piloting a space submarine.

It was just a bit too boring and mostly retread.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ironic that tree onion lampooned the new twerk as "fun, watchable" when a whole planet of our buddies exploded and Kirk lost two dads in an hour and Spock cried like it wasn't a fun movie emotionally

Spock is put through the emotional wringer and Kirk loses a father figure in both the "new fun darker grittier" entries dang

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Makes more sense tbh...

Not Trek related, but I remember reading one of the Halo books in my youth, and there was this scene where a Covenant guy basically goes :wtc: over the fact that his human opponents don't put their bridges deep inside the guts of their ships, as God the Forerunners intended. They put them in front, near the top, where a single shot can pop it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Arglebargle III posted:

ironic that tree onion lampooned the new twerk as "fun, watchable" when a whole planet of our buddies exploded and Kirk lost two dads in an hour and Spock cried like it wasn't a fun movie emotionally

Spock is put through the emotional wringer and Kirk loses a father figure in both the "new fun darker grittier" entries dang

Wait what was the second dad he lost? Pike survived and promoted him to real Captain.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wait what was the second dad he lost? Pike survived and promoted him to real Captain.

Pike dies for good in Into Darkness.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh I thought you meant the first one.
Well whose the second dad he loses in an hour in into darkness?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like how Peter Weller was a terrorist who wanted to use a super weapon to seperate Earth from all aliens.

Then like less than a hundred years later they take a dude who looks exactly like him and promote him to admiral and his plan is to take superweapon to seperate Earth from all aliens.

It's the same drat guy!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Pretty sure Arglebargle just typed that post badly. He loses Dad Kirk and Pike in two different movies.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Kirk's dad dies and then Pike gets kidnapped and crippled like within an hour of screen time. It's like dad murder, genocide, dad kidnapping fun packed extravaganzas. When Trek 2009 came out it was around my birthday and I tried to drag my girlfriend of the time to go with me and I'm glad she said no. It is a bad downer movie and a bad reboot.

Pike doesn't die in the first movie but Kirk loses him. It's a big thing where they rescue him and put him in the beep chair.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 7, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does Dad murder count if your feet ain't even out the vagina yet? He didn't lose his dad, he never even knew him.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Eh, for Enterprise I don't think aesthetic was ever a problem. Loved the set design and practical uniforms that felt like real astronauts piloting a space submarine.

It was just a bit too boring and mostly retread.

ENT was fairly boring and antiseptic looking until it's last season when they started adding in TOSy primary colours and more multicoloured blinking boxes of light in the computer displays, etc.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The show hasn't premiered yet and I bet they're already gearing up for that same backpedal retooling ENT and JJ Trek did halfway through. "No, wait, we're sorry we tried that grim poo poo unsuccessfully for the billionth time in a row. Look... it's more like TOS now, you like TOS right? Colors! Fun!"

Everything about their marketing for this show screams desperation, I hate to write this off before it airs especially considering what a gong show TNG's production was but jesus gently caress is there anything more pathetic than "Please keep watching, nerds! It'll eventually start to look like this thing you remember and love! We promise!"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Arglebargle III posted:

Kirk's dad dies and then Pike gets kidnapped and crippled like within an hour of screen time. It's like dad murder, genocide, dad kidnapping fun packed extravaganzas. When Trek 2009 came out it was around my birthday and I tried to drag my girlfriend of the time to go with me and I'm glad she said no. It is a bad downer movie and a bad reboot.

Pike doesn't die in the first movie but Kirk loses him. It's a big thing where they rescue him and put him in the beep chair.

That's how ds9 starts and you fuckers think that one's amazing

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Pike is his immediate superior/Starfleet mission runner when we see the stuff at the start of Into Darkness and he's even walking, so not really.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah don't try to tell me Pike isn't a father figure or that Nemo kidnapping him isn't a moment where Kirk loses his dad again and has to get a pep talk from future Spock so he can go rescue his dad and save the day.

This has probably been mentioned before but do any parents survive Star Trek 2009?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah don't try to tell me Pike isn't a father figure or that Nemo kidnapping him isn't a moment where Kirk loses his dad again and has to get a pep talk from future Spock so he can go rescue his dad and save the day.

This has probably been mentioned before but do any parents survive Star Trek 2009?

Sulu does

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm not saying that, because those are both accurate, I'm saying he has him back by the end of 09 and then loses him permanently in Into Darkness which is what causes him to accept the torpedoes with Khan's crew in them, because Into Darkness is very bad about forced character motivations.

Also presumably Kirk's mom, since she's mentioned to be on a trip at the start of 09 and we never hear anything about her again.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

That's how ds9 starts and you fuckers think that one's amazing

DS9's grimdarkness is often overstated, for all the depressing stuff in the pilot and later episodes it still features lots of positivity including Sisko being the best space dad and O'Brien being a loving space husband and Worf not getting beaten up quite so badly/often, etc

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tighclops posted:

Worf not getting beaten up quite so badly/often, etc

Getting beaten up consensually.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Trip report: DS9 season 5, episode 1 "Apocalypse Rising"

Most awesome moment in the show so far: a changeling is outed in the midst of a room full of Klingons, who en masse draw their disruptors and open fire. :hellyeah:

Why the gently caress did that Changling out itself? It could have easily kept its deception going instead of going all tentacle arms to prove Odo right.

Orv
May 4, 2011

jeeves posted:

Why the gently caress did that Changling out itself? It could have easily kept its deception going instead of going all tentacle arms to prove Odo right.

The paranoia it causes thereby is potentially more useful.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arglebargle III posted:

Pike is far more of a father figure to Spock than he is to Kirk in '09. When they're on Nero's ship, it's Spock who gets enthusiastic at discovering Pike's location.

Also, Old Spock's pep talk is about the need to work together with QuintoSpock; I don't think Nimoy even mentions Pike once.

quote:

Sarek, Kirk's mother.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Hey remember when NuSpock called up Old Spock to ask him how The Wrath of Khan ended

These movies were trash

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Tighclops posted:

Hey remember when NuSpock called up Old Spock to ask him how The Wrath of Khan ended

These movies were trash

This to me was the main reason Into Darkness was so garbage. In that single scene they confirmed that this new crew were a bunch of idiots and couldn't do poo poo without calling their prime universe buddy for help.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I like that they make Jake Sisko vulnerable from time to time, like a kid would be. One of my biggest annoyances in shows and movies is kids that aren't afraid of things, or who are always emotionally competent. Kids in most horror movies should probably be closer to 'useless puddle on the ground' or 'can never stop screaming', instead of plucky or whatever - at least occasionally, but it's so rare.

Jake's cried in a few episodes, just be cause he couldn't cope with what was happening around him, and it's great. I just saw one where he's in a war zone, and is cowering the whole time - which was the point of the episode, but I'm glad they used Jake for it. If it was Wesley, he'd just be doing calculations with that slack-jawed look on his face.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I don't know if anyone else has noticed or mentioned it in the thread but I finally worked out what the Discovery costumes remind me of.

The uniforms worn by the crew of Sealab 2020/2021.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVYhLj2WORs&index=5&list=PLH5H20k8lifPf66hao-u-sF-tzfwpc4Sc

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mogomra posted:

This to me was the main reason Into Darkness was so garbage. In that single scene they confirmed that this new crew were a bunch of idiots and couldn't do poo poo without calling their prime universe buddy for help.

i mean we all know it's because Quinto is a trash Spock who has zero chemistry with Kirk

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ironically Gay Spock has less chemistry with Kirk than straight Spock.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Karl Urban wasn't even given the chance to carry those movies, which sucks

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm watching Favorite Son, the one where Harry is(n't) an alien, and something occurred to me that I'd never really noticed before; So many species and cultures in Trek are represented by a single room, and sometimes an oil painting. Despite the fact that more than a few of the rooms get reordered and repainted as is the way of set reuse, if it's not a real room somewhere, a lot of them are actually fairly well done in terms of cultural personality. Races that get a single episode or even a single scene often have a pretty good snapshot of their culture.

Of course it doesn't always work, and there's always a salsa dish lurking somewhere on set, but it's pretty impressive that they're generally seamless enough that I hadn't noticed it for years.

E: Seconds later they have a really goofy marriage ceremony so it's not all perfect, eh Voyager?

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 7, 2017

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I decided to finally start watching TOS and I'm pretty taken with this guy right here

http://i.imgur.com/HetPe3c.gifv

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

http://io9.gizmodo.com/relive-star-trek-the-next-generation-with-posters-for-1801868199

Juan Ortiz has done individual episode posters for TNG like the ones he did for TOS.

I was excited to hear that, but after seeing the examples I am underwhelmed. I don't think his retro art style, which worked so well for 60S TOS, is right for TNG.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like those couple of times McCoy is just like "As your doctor I order you to chug this glass of bourbon".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Astroman posted:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/relive-star-trek-the-next-generation-with-posters-for-1801868199

Juan Ortiz has done individual episode posters for TNG like the ones he did for TOS.

I was excited to hear that, but after seeing the examples I am underwhelmed. I don't think his retro art style, which worked so well for 60S TOS, is right for TNG.

Yeah, for TNG he should go full 80's movie poster instead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Did we talk about this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvodBh34FZA

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching In Theory. They're doing some kind of nebula thing and Data is awkwardly talking to some engineer girl.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"As you requested, I will now remind you of the reasons you decided to end your relationship with Jeff."

God I love Data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Uh oh is she gonna fall in love with Data