Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

I wanted to respond to this. As something of a modern Deist I have a couple of problems with this verse; although not with its intended meaning per se so much as a critique of the consequences of the way it has traditionally been interpreted in American Christianity. Specifically this verse (among others) is often used to justify the "suffering is good for the soul" attitude that is highly prevalent in American Christianity, particularly with an aim towards getting moderate Christians to turn a blind eye towards what radicalized Christians are doing to vulnerable populations. I personally think that the way that this verse is often taught in American Christianity has enabled some pretty tremendous abuse via providing an easy justification for moderate Christians to avert their gaze from the suffering their more radicalized brethren are causing in the name of Christ.

What you describe is a pathological Christianity that looks like an apostasy from the church that Jesus of Nazareth started in the gospel stories. Every person is capable of rationalizing indifference towards the suffering of others or even indifference to the suffering they cause. But using the Christian sacred stories to accomplish self-vindication is counter-Christlike, which Christians have understood can happen since the writing of the new testament.

But so many people identify with the terms Christian, American, and American Christians. They're broad categories with personally defined values, so I'm not eager to comment on the prevalence of counter-Christlike thoughts and actions except to say that when I encounter an individual who is looking to shrug off the moral responsibility they know they have in their hearts, it's regrettable no matter what religion or nationality they identify with.

quote:

Also on a human level I would caution against the limitations of the sentiment expressed in this verse- everyone (I do mean everyone) has a limit to how much suffering they can experience before their mind simply shuts down. Willpower can take you pretty far, but I think that there are hard limits to how far even the strongest of wills can carry an individual. Past a certain amount of suffering (that point can vary considerably from individual to individual) I believe that any of us would simply be psychologically crushed into nothingness.

Without disagreeing that any individual can be broken through too much mental or physical trauma , I don't think willpower fully covers why a person can hang on so long in a situation that looks doomed from the outside. From Viktor Frankl's experience, a Jewish Austrian psychiatrist imprisoned at Auschwitz, it's not the will to power that gave a prisoner the strength or courage to live another day. It's a will to meaning, a salient knowledge of something or someone to live for, that gave him and other survivors sufficient comfort in a world of death. Frankl claims (and I'm convinced) that a person who has a good enough "why" to live can endure almost any how, while understanding that the brain is an organ that can fail as a result of trauma.

Further, Frankl found in his experience that a meaning or purpose is available to anyone in any situation, even in the face of an abuser who has total power over you. He concludes with a belief that the ultimate meaning available to us normal humans is in love and through love, an opinion that is highly compatible with the gospel of Jesus of Nazareth without having to originate from any common Christian origin.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Anyone know anything about Bishop Edward Braxton of Belleville? He's giving a talk on BLM at my university parish tonight

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Our Lady, Star of the Sea, pray for us.

Is it a mortal sin to not attend Mass in hurricane force winds.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

You should go. If it's a big enough Mass it will stay put.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Having skipped church this past Sunday due to no other reason than sheer unadulterated sloth, I can't in good conscience press someone to attend in the face of a hurricane.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Phlegmatist posted:

That depends.

How are the Waffle Houses?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Deteriorata posted:

I love this thread. I do enjoy the insight into other peoples' worldviews it offers, but to be honest I've pretty much exhausted the particular source of curiosity that initially led me here.

I stay for the puns.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Deteriorata posted:

AUGH

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If I have power Sunday morning, I'll probably just find a livestream of a service to watch with my family.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
My parish cancelled Mass on Sunday and the bishop dispensed us from the obligation.

The notice ended with "may God help us all" which is definitely not ominous.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

My parish cancelled Mass on Sunday and the bishop dispensed us from the obligation.

The notice ended with "may God help us all" which is definitely not ominous.

"May God help us all" sounds about right. Plus Katia, the Mexico earthquake, the solar flare...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
...the Russian military exercises, Kim Jong Nuke...

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Of course the world has to go to hell right when mine starts getting good.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

"May God help us all" sounds about right. Plus Katia, the Mexico earthquake, the solar flare...

It's good to see you checking in still. I look forward to the time we may all shitpost in freedom from all anxiety.

Ceciltron posted:

Getting popular with the attractive sex, then?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Caufman posted:

It's good to see you checking in still. I look forward to the time we may all shitpost in freedom from all anxiety.

I'm not celebrating yet, Irma's shifted course directly towards where I evacuated to. :v:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm not celebrating yet, Irma's shifted course directly towards where I evacuated to. :v:

Ceciltron posted:

Doubt besets me; I don't think my prayers are working!!

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Cythereal posted:

drat it, that explains it. This storm hates Protestants. Get back over to the east coast so everything I own isn't floating around in the gulf.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Caufman posted:

Getting popular with the attractive sex, then?

Oh I just love my job and my wife and we're working on the immigration stuff and everything is nice and stable.

Sheltered from the world in my small town, I tend to my garden.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ceciltron posted:

Oh I just love my job and my wife and we're working on the immigration stuff and everything is nice and stable.

Sheltered from the world in my small town, I tend to my garden.
hee hee, i got that reference

Praying for all the hurricane goons.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So apparently the resident parishioners at my local university parish resisted having a permanent crucifix on the wall because it would distract from the brick, as it's the largest freestanding brick wall in Indiana

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
(1) Where in Indiana?

(2) What's the profile pic from? L5R?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

WerrWaaa posted:

(1) Where in Indiana?

(2) What's the profile pic from? L5R?

St. Thomas Aquinas at Purdue. The picture's from Netrunner but Matt Zeilinger did a lot of L5R work

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Did I mention I once stole the prophecies of Fatima in a Shadowrun game? :getin:

StashAugustine posted:

So apparently the resident parishioners at my local university parish resisted having a permanent crucifix on the wall because it would distract from the brick, as it's the largest freestanding brick wall in Indiana

That is magnificiently goony!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Deteriorata posted:

https://www.facebook.com/abstvradio/photos/a.843682225731003.1073741829.558698930896002/1505006082931944/?type=3&theater

quote:

Statement by the Hon Gaston Browne. Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda
Preliminary remarks on the passage of Hurricane Irma
The forecast was that Antigua would be devastated, our infrastructure demolished, people killed and our economy destroyed.
In the light of day, the picture is very different.
In Antigua, no life has been lost – all the people survived.
The guests in our hotels are all well.
Even our animals were protected from this massive storm.
Our airport will be open for flights into and out of Antigua by 2pm today.
The people of Antigua should all be very proud of the part that each of them played in our impressive story of readiness and resilience.
I dare to say that no other country in the Caribbean would have been as well prepared as we were.
People heeded the warnings of my government to treat Hurricane Irma with absolute seriousness, and everyone did.
:unsmith:
antigua is safe! praise god!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HEY GAIL posted:

antigua is safe! praise god!

Barbuda, on the other hand, not so much. The PM was a bit optimistic.

They're desperately trying to get everyone off before Jose hits.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I thought you all may enjoy a Yiddish version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah where the lyrics are edited somewhat.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I thought you all may enjoy a Yiddish version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah where the lyrics are edited somewhat.

I think, in this context, "edited somewhat" is best read as "rather quite butchered." Forgive me, but that rendition pained me. But to be fair, most covers of Hallelujah do.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Numerical Anxiety posted:

I think, in this context, "edited somewhat" is best read as "rather quite butchered." Forgive me, but that rendition pained me. But to be fair, most covers of Hallelujah do.

"Holy feminine spirit" made me cringe, a bit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Prayers appear to be working, Irma's hitting Florida but it's nowhere near as bad as we'd feared. Looking like I may lose power but not much else.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

"Holy feminine spirit" made me cringe, a bit.

That and "Why must you be ashamed like a virgin?"

Also the arrangement of verses follows Jeff Buckley's version rather than Cohen's, but adds in the one about the Name, which is then deprived of the somewhat cruel playfulness that really makes it work. Cohen knew how to make the vulgar holy. This one takes the holy at face value, and just ends up being vulgar.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Prayers appear to be working, Irma's hitting Florida but it's nowhere near as bad as we'd feared. Looking like I may lose power but not much else.

Level drain is bad enough, you never know when you have to smoke a demonic cultist. Naw j/k glad you're safe :glomp:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
After a roadtrip of more than 2000 miles, I'm moved back to the area where I grew up and start teaching science at the local tribal college tomorrow. I'm excited!

My church options are pretty limited out here: Catholicism, Evangelical Protestants, conservative synods of Lutheranism (WELS, LCMS), or Anglicanism. So I'm probably going back to my Episco-pals.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Found this icon of St Mark Ji Tianxiang: I love the image of him finally trampling his opium pipe.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Found this icon of St Mark Ji Tianxiang: I love the image of him finally trampling his opium pipe.

owns

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Yes it is so.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

After a roadtrip of more than 2000 miles, I'm moved back to the area where I grew up and start teaching science at the local tribal college tomorrow. I'm excited!

My church options are pretty limited out here: Catholicism, Evangelical Protestants, conservative synods of Lutheranism (WELS, LCMS), or Anglicanism. So I'm probably going back to my Episco-pals.

Which one has the best native hotties?

Tias
May 25, 2008

JcDent posted:

Which one has the best native hotties?

Can we not do this? Fetishizing other races is really uncomfortable, especially where these are socially and economically marginalized to the point of spiking drug use and youth suicide rates.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Tias posted:

Can we not do this? Fetishizing other races is really uncomfortable, especially where these are socially and economically marginalized to the point of spiking drug use and youth suicide rates.

I'm sorry, my only fetishes are white ladies and Soviet tanks, I was just trying to make a lighthearted joke :(

Tias
May 25, 2008

So I'm taking Religion 101 as mentioned previously, and I'm being taught that neither orthodox or catholics believe in inherited sin! Or, the caths do, but that the baptism washes it away.

Is it just me, or does this mean that cathodox have a much more positive view of humanity than protestants?

JcDent posted:

I'm sorry, my only fetishes are white ladies and Soviet tanks, I was just trying to make a lighthearted joke :(

We good, it's just that words mean things and some things we shouldn't normalize :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I only pick churches based on the attractiveness of the women

• Locked thread