Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Waffleman_ posted:

Having Weird Al do the ending theme for Captain Underpants was an inspired choice. I couldn't think of anyone more appropriate.

Having not read the books as a kid and knowing basically nothing about the character, the Weird Al song really made me want to go see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Captain Underpants is also super progressive for a kids book because one time the kids are sent to the future to meet their future friends and the blonde one grew up got gay married and adopted children and nobody made a remark about it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Calaveron posted:

Captain Underpants is also super progressive for a kids book because one time the kids are sent to the future to meet their future friends and the blonde one grew up got gay married and adopted children and nobody made a remark about it

I don't think you were paying attention then.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

I think Calaveron meant in-universe.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1xz-204-QU
I'm the girl cat with the clashing character design

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Mr. Big sure seems to have hit a growth spurt since last year.

And also turned into an alligator.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Was there fliporama

yeah the whole movie was animated

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Andorra posted:

yeah the whole movie was animated

Not the part with the sock puppets.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Saw Ballerina. I thought the actual dancing bits was well done, with some nice moments with the retired ballerina character. Though it's fairly predictable of course. What absolutely drags the film down is Victor the obligatory comic relief boy character, and the crappy action scenes that he comes attached with. Which is annoying given how they want to make him important in the climax, and the only way they can do it is put our protagonist in a position where she is totally useless and has to be rescued.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm the malevolent force that prevents moviemakers from ever producing anything but origin stories

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm the malevolent force that prevents moviemakers from ever producing anything but origin stories

Really needed a god drat origin story for Top Cat

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Obviously you never watched the old Heathcliff cartoon. A bunch of regular cartoon cats and one with legwarmers and boobs because :furcry:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Woah, they even both have the same scarf cat. :tinfoil:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...m_medium=social

It is pretty amazing how something written in English with actual voice actors somehow sounds exactly like a cheap anime dub.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ImpAtom posted:

It is pretty amazing how something written in English with actual voice actors somehow sounds exactly like a cheap anime dub.

Its not actual voice actors though? It has some actors in it, but they aren't really voice actors. Also, the lead is Jaden Smith.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

ImpAtom posted:

How to Draw Manga: the Animation

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Full trailer for Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaardman's Early Man is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC5FIWUFfUY

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

Nothing about this show makes any goddamn sense. Jayden Smith can't voice act for poo poo, and he's voicing the lead. The creator is the dude from Vampire Weekend, who's never shown any interest in animation (or any creative outlets besides music) before now. And instead of using a western animation style or being Anime-inspired (a la Teen Titans or ATLA) it's full on generic Japanese anime even though everyone involved with the show is American. And the animation's not even good!

Netflix what were you thinking? :psyduck:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

lelandjs posted:

Nothing about this show makes any goddamn sense. Jayden Smith can't voice act for poo poo, and he's voicing the lead. The creator is the dude from Vampire Weekend, who's never shown any interest in animation (or any creative outlets besides music) before now. And instead of using a western animation style or being Anime-inspired (a la Teen Titans or ATLA) it's full on generic Japanese anime even though everyone involved with the show is American. And the animation's not even good!

They actually got the guy who directed Gundam Unicorn storyboarding it. Production I.G and Studio DEEN are also the studios actually animating it (Along with a Korean studio of course). I'm not implying its actually going to be good, but there are indeed people from Japan working on it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Go watch Bojack Horseman season 4 instead.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

ImpAtom posted:

Every line sounds like it was both performed and written by people whose only experience in either voice acting or writing was an episode of "Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series" from 2007.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The more I think about the Beauty and the Beast remake, the more I think that it was actually pretty good, or at least had several good parts. What did the goonmind think?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

lelandjs posted:

"Cannon busters sure taking a long time...."

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I was helping my mum cook with a random movie channel on as background noise and Strange Magic came on. We ended up watching the whole thing and we both kind of enjoyed it? Like it's not got any tension at all and it's very predictable, but there was something still kind of likeable about it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I didn't see Strange Magic but tbh my mom and I both found Boss Baby to be pretty enjoyable so I get it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Strange Magic is some primo trash, I highly recommend it. It's my better than/actually good version of Trolls.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

Strange Magic is some primo trash, I highly recommend it. It's my better than/actually good version of Trolls.

Ohhh, not marxist enough for you?

Trolls is actually a great critique of superficial culture from the standpoint of "don't worry, none of it really does matter, and most things are out of your control, have a good attitude about it from your position of cosmic weakness".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Uh trolls is about how eating a troll grants you true happiness but if you work really hard and risk everything you have you could maybe feel that happy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Uh trolls is about how eating a troll grants you true happiness but if you work really hard and risk everything you have you could maybe feel that happy.

So you're saying Trolls is about how we should eat the rich?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Pick posted:

Ohhh, not marxist enough for you?

Settle down, Pick.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

If anything the film says we should eat the poor, but most especially club kids and yoga instructors.

Also that john cleese needs money still, desperately

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Barudak posted:

If anything the film says we should eat the poor, but most especially club kids and yoga instructors.

This would actually be hilarious, but the closer reading is that Trolls is about the same thing that Inside Out is nominally about, which is that 'positive thinking' is bullshit. The point of critical nuance is how it parallels Creek's betrayal of his tribe with Chef's insistence that the Bergen can't feel happy on their own accord, that they must consume the magical essence of the trolls.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fine, we wont eat all the trolls.

But lets at least eat the one who rubs his glittery butt on everything and leaves his shiny rear end flakes everywhere.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I mean, yeah, the critical flaw of Trolls is that it's not nearly as gross as a film that's called Trolls should be.

Actually, I take it back, my better than/actually good version of Trolls is The Spongebob Squarepants Movie. Which, in general, is just a solid better than/actually good version of most contemporary animated films.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Literally Trolls ITT right now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Eating the trolls has to work, it's part of the metaphor!! Consumption really does make you happy, they're not denying it, but it's transitory and spiritually unfulfilling! ("Our one day to be happy!")

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

It's about how the rich do like to eat the poor and this makes the rich feel good, the best you can do is offer them a better way because the plutocrats have all the leverage. Enjoy your life for what it is while you can because you are not powerful enough to protect yourself as such. Be happy while you can!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For Brad Bird likers in the audience, *batteries not included is on Netflix. I recommend it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pick posted:

For Brad Bird likers in the audience, *batteries not included is on Netflix. I recommend it.

I love that film so much, and watched it repeatedly as a kid. I can't believe they've never made toys of the robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

ImpAtom posted:

This looks wonderful. The weird boring opening with the overpowered racquet breaking sound, the absurdly generic robot, the voice acting, implied old New York still existing under water including for some reason the World Trade Center, "you have to protect our family name" followed by the dude dunking his head underwater and "Starring Jaden Smith" appearing behind him, "Coco Chanel may her memory be blessed".

I kinda wanna check this out. It looks bad in the strangest ways.