Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Actually it's perfectly safe to eat raw chicken in a lot of the world. It's only when you scale up chicken farming up past a certain point that salmonella becomes an unfixable fact of life that you just have to accept is always likely present. Past that it just comes down to "should people be allowed to eat food I think is gross".
Yeah and if you're henry David thoreu and you're making a nice meal because rosseau is coming over for dinner so you kill and clean your one singular chicken that you have in your one garden of eden forest on the edge of time itself, then sure. Eat chicken tartare and be damned.

If you are not a magical person in a germless otherspace making dinner for two with the world's only chicken you've known it's whole life, then don't loving poison yourself.

Or poison yourself gently caress it if you're eating meat slime anyhow who gives a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zoro posted:

What do house retirements mean? Are they leaving their seat or are they not going to seek re-election?

The latter, reelection for them basically is always since they're on 2 year cycles

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

farraday posted:

Verrit number?

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/905949975586238464

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/905972609044672512

Retirement season in the House. This could have a large impact on lessening the structural advantage of the Republicans.

"WE ARE GOING TO WIN- AND WIN- AND WIN

AND PEOPLE ARE GOING TO SAY, 'NO, PLEASE TRUMP! WE CAN'T TAKE ALL THE WINNING!' "

-Nostradamus

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

skylined! posted:

after the house has worked a long adult life and invested modestly it usually has the opportunity to move to Florida and become a condominium before being recycled into upused restaurant decor

Well, not anymore, unless they're underwater condos.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i am legitimately torn on what the best part of this tweet is. is it the deceptive scaling of the bars to make the race look closer than it is? is it the decision to use a bearded ryan to trigger feelings of xenophobia? is it the leaking of an internal poll from a c-list polling firm?

i'm so conflicted.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

QuoProQuid posted:

i am legitimately torn on what the best part of this tweet is. is it the deceptive scaling of the bars to make the race look closer than it is? is it the decision to use a bearded ryan to trigger feelings of xenophobia? is it the leaking of an internal poll from a c-list polling firm?

i'm so conflicted.

for me it's how they couldn't even get a pic for mr. undecided. i mean i know he's trailing but that's pretty unprofessional.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

KickerOfMice posted:

Re: verrit - I understand slimline design, and appreciate simplicity, but a menu or something would be nice. How does one sign up for this... thing?
Your first mistake is assuming the empyrean glory of verritt would suffer some sweating meat creature to "sign up" for it, like some filthy bio organism shaking it's feces flecked mate attraction appendages in some humid flesh space

You do not "sign up" for veritt. You do not enlist with the army of Valhalla. You do not add enlightenment to your Netflix queue. You do not offer anubis your own loving feather.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

But it was like a tenth the size of St Louis?

Sure. But that's not the right way to look at it.

Galveston at the time had 37,000 people. It was a huge city then, and very wealthy and successful. It was known as the "Wall Street of the South".

The hurricane killed 6,000 to 8,000 people. That's about 1/5th the city's population. It was, and still is, the deadliest natural disaster in US history. The city never recovered fully. (Of course, Houston came to prominence right around then, which further slowed, and ultimately limited, Galveston's recovery.)

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

KickerOfMice posted:

Is that getting traction at all or what?

I'm looking at it now and it looks like somebody threw a bucket of twitter at a wall.

Verrit is the future.

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/905829451635838977

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Randbrick posted:

Yeah and if you're henry David thoreu and you're making a nice meal because rosseau is coming over for dinner so you kill and clean your one singular chicken that you have in your one garden of eden forest on the edge of time itself, then sure. Eat chicken tartare and be damned.

If you are not a magical person in a germless otherspace making dinner for two with the world's only chicken you've known it's whole life, then don't loving poison yourself.

Or poison yourself gently caress it if you're eating meat slime anyhow who gives a poo poo

That is true for every sort of raw meat dish though, you can't eat poorly raised or handled beef or fish or horse meat either, chicken meat doesn't just magically generate disease, it's just not raised in a way that is healthy.

Good news though, raw pork in the US was always near impossible because trichinosis was so common but in the last ten years we suddenly got super good at stopping trichinosis in pork and now it's down to less than .01% of pigs and will probably be gone soon. So raw pork will be safe enough soon.

Bicyclops posted:

please have a debate about which kind of milk is the best instead (it's whole).

I had strawberry camel milk not too long ago that was super good.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

if you sign up for verrit, the devil immediately writes your name in the book of the damned

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is true for every sort of raw meat dish though, you can't eat poorly raised or handled beef or fish or horse meat either, chicken meat doesn't just magically generate disease, it's just not raised in a way that is healthy.

Good news though, raw pork in the US was always near impossible because trichinosis was so common but in the last ten years we suddenly got super good at stopping trichinosis in pork and now it's down to less than .01% of pigs and will probably be gone soon. So raw pork will be safe enough soon.

pork was verified safe at 145 internal temp a few years ago

you know nothing of safe food prep sir

i am editing but because i typod and not because I had to go look it up and make sure i was right neener neener

skylined! fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 8, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Well, sure, but where can you find a strawberry camel these days?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

QuoProQuid posted:

if you sign up for verrit, the devil immediately writes your name in the book of the damned

So what you're saying is, it's a site for that like 2% of Hillary voters who believed she was the devil, and approved.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
if u sign up for verrit you immediately become american and ur dick becomes mangled, stay away my friends

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Glazier posted:

Don't freak out just yet, unless you're in Miami, we still have a day or two before it gets here.

Gas stations are out of gas. 75 and 95 (edit and 301!) are parking lots. People are telling me it takes 18+ hours to get out of the state from Sarasota County.

Many grocery stores are staying open and being wishy washy about when they'll close, loving over the employees that want to keep thier jobs. I'm shaking with anger that I have family members being told they still have shifts all the way through Monday.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Randbrick posted:

Your first mistake is assuming the empyrean glory of verritt would suffer some sweating meat creature to "sign up" for it, like some filthy bio organism shaking it's feces flecked mate attraction appendages in some humid flesh space

You do not "sign up" for veritt. You do not enlist with the army of Valhalla. You do not add enlightenment to your Netflix queue. You do not offer anubis your own loving feather.

Yeah I just read more about it, and it is... Who thought this would be useful outside of an elevator pitch? The visual design is atrocious too - was this site made by Mondrian?

e- Trying to upload a Mondrian but imgur is ashit.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 8, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Quorum posted:

So what you're saying is, it's a site for that like 2% of Hillary voters who believed she was the devil, and approved.

i refuse to believe that anyone considers hillary clinton to be that cool

Liu posted:

if u sign up for verrit you immediately become american and ur dick becomes mangled, stay away my friends

also true

RIP ur dick

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

xrunner posted:

The Washington side is fine. It's the Oregon side that's burning. It's going to look weird driving down 84 though - with one side still verdant and the other charred to hell.
Uhh dude, the fire is so big it jumped the Columbia River INTO Washington, yesterday.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bicyclops posted:

Well, sure, but where can you find a strawberry camel these days?

Dubai

(can I switch my gimmick from talking about future technology to talking nonstop about food I ate on the dozens of vacations I take)

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

KickerOfMice posted:

Re: verrit - I understand slimline design, and appreciate simplicity, but a menu or something would be nice. How does one sign up for this... thing?

e- I do not understand what Verrit is.

Made curious by this post, I cruised on over to Verrit to actually see what everyone was mocking. Let's check out the first few... facts? Verified.... occurances of....... reality? I guess

oh good thats real good, thanks peter daou

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Also Randbrick write a loving novel already.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

PhazonLink posted:

Is innovis new?

Never heard it before, I thought there were just the Big Three.

Also should I get my yearly report first and then freeze, or freeze and get a report.

Innovis is the one businesses tend to use. Krebs mentioned it as the fourth most important one to lock down.

Generally I would get the report then freeze, but I am just a guy on the internet.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

QuoProQuid posted:

i'm so conflicted.
What are you talking about? The distance between Ironstache and Ryan is 5%, roughly equal to one of those little squares in the background. The distance between Ironstache and Undecided is 16, which is three times as much, roughly, and which is blocks difference in height

IN fact the Undecided column is four blocks tall - 5 * 4 +1.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Don't eat raw chicken, stupid.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Made curious by this post, I cruised on over to Verrit to actually see what everyone was mocking. Let's check out the first few... facts? Verified.... occurances of....... reality? I guess

As I said, a bucketfull of twitter tossed at a wall.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Courtesy of TD:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

You should read his twitter feed, it's a hoot.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

KickerOfMice posted:

Don't eat raw chicken, stupid.

Torisashi is real and it is your friend. Just eat whatever, you probably won't die and if you do that's fine too.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/video/tough-choices-for-some-floridians

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

BrandorKP posted:

Gas stations are out of gas. 75 and 95 (edit and 301!) are parking lots. People are telling me it takes 18+ hours to get out of the state from Sarasota County.

Many grocery stores are staying open and being wishy washy about when they'll close, loving over the employees that want to keep thier jobs. I'm shaking with anger that I have family members being told they still have shifts all the way through Monday.

Here are some resources that may help:

Locations where gas is available or has run out are being tracked here: http://tracker.gasbuddy.com/

Florida traffic information (speeds, number of cars, road closures) http://www3.dot.state.fl.us/trafficinformation/
Florida traffic information can be found here: https://fl511.com/

Resources found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Um3j5mHkS7bR72Zc625qtQ0P1QRNCXPGtIMx7HWKNbI

I hope you can get your family out safely. Good luck. Please let me know if I can do anything to help.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Torisashi is real and it is your friend. Just eat whatever, you probably won't die and if you do that's fine too.

Very rude!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

(can I switch my gimmick from talking about future technology to talking nonstop about food I ate on the dozens of vacations I take)

When is the last time you did that? I haven't seen a cool technology breakthroughs thread since like 2009

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Please don't

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

KickerOfMice posted:

Also Randbrick write a loving novel already.

Someone should just publish a book of isolated Randbrick posts, starting with "Ron Paul will kill 100000 people" and ending with "Shucks is lizard alien."

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
The human race has travelled far since, those bygone ages when men used to fashion their rude implements of flint, and lived on the precarious spoils of the chase, leaving to their children for their only heritage a shelter beneath the rocks, some poor utensils — and Nature, vast, ununderstood, and terrific, with whom they had to fight for their wretched existence.

During the agitated times which have elapsed since, and which have lasted for many thousand years, mankind has nevertheless amassed untold treasures. It has cleared the land, dried the marshes, pierced the forests, made roads; it has been building, inventing, observing, reasoning; it has created a complex machinery, wrested her secrets from Nature, and finally it has made a servant of steam. And the result is, that now the child of the civilized man finds ready, at its birth, to his hand an immense capital accumulated by those who have gone before him. And this capital enables him to acquire, merely by his own labour, combined with the labour of others, riches surpassing the dreams of the Orient, expressed in the fairy tales of the Thousand and One Nights.

The soil is cleared to a great extent, fit for the reception of the best seeds, ready to make a rich return for the skill and labour spent upon it — a return more than sufficient for all the wants of humanity. The methods of cultivation are known.

On the wide prairies of America each hundred men, with the aid of powerful machinery, can produce in a few months enough wheat to maintain ten thousand people for a whole year. And where man wishes to double his produce, to treble it, to multiply it a hundred-fold, he makes the soil, gives to each plant the requisite care, and thus obtains enormous returns. While the hunter of old had to scour fifty or sixty square miles to find food for his family, the civilized man supports his household, with far less pains, and far more certainty, on a thousandth part of that space. Climate is no longer an obstacle. When the sun fails, man replaces it by artificial heat; and we see the coming of a time when artificial light also will be used to stimulate vegetation. Meanwhile, by the use of glass and hot water pipes, man renders a given space ten and fifty times more productive than it was in its natural state.

The prodigies accomplished in industry are still more striking. With the co-operation of those intelligent beings, modern machines — themselves the fruit of three or four generations of inventors, mostly unknown — a hundred men manufacture now the stuff to clothe ten thousand persons for a period of two years. In well-managed coal mines the labour of a hundred miners furnishes each year enough fuel to warm ten thousand families under an inclement sky. And we have lately witnessed twice the spectacle of a wonderful city springing up in a few months at Paris,[1] without interrupting in the slightest degree the regular work of the French nation.

And if in manufactures as in agriculture, and as indeed through our whole social system, the labour, the discoveries, and the inventions of our ancestors profit chiefly the few, it is none the less certain that mankind in general, aided by the creatures of steel and iron which it already possesses, could already procure an existence of wealth and ease for every one of its members.

Truly, we are rich, far richer than we think; rich in what we already possess, richer still in the possibilities of production of our actual mechanical outfit; richest of all in what we might win from our soil, from our manufactures, from our science, from our technical knowledge, were they but applied to bringing about the well-being of all.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Randbrick posted:

I only hope to one day offend the gods this way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Someone should just publish a book of isolated Randbrick posts, starting with "Ron Paul will kill 100000 people" and ending with "Shucks is lizard alien."

I literally made a longform poem out of a drunken Randbrick rant years ago. Long gone now, unfortunately.

It contained the haunting and strangely relevant phrase "I feel Russian, so much I am undone."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Office Pig posted:

You should read his twitter feed, it's a hoot.

Like anyone in this thread wouldn't be blocked by Peter Daou

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

gently caress Whitey posted:

The human race has travelled far since, those bygone ages when men used to fashion their rude implements of flint, and lived on the precarious spoils of the chase, leaving to their children for their only heritage a shelter beneath the rocks, some poor utensils — and Nature, vast, ununderstood, and terrific, with whom they had to fight for their wretched existence.

During the agitated times which have elapsed since, and which have lasted for many thousand years, mankind has nevertheless amassed untold treasures. It has cleared the land, dried the marshes, pierced the forests, made roads; it has been building, inventing, observing, reasoning; it has created a complex machinery, wrested her secrets from Nature, and finally it has made a servant of steam. And the result is, that now the child of the civilized man finds ready, at its birth, to his hand an immense capital accumulated by those who have gone before him. And this capital enables him to acquire, merely by his own labour, combined with the labour of others, riches surpassing the dreams of the Orient, expressed in the fairy tales of the Thousand and One Nights.

The soil is cleared to a great extent, fit for the reception of the best seeds, ready to make a rich return for the skill and labour spent upon it — a return more than sufficient for all the wants of humanity. The methods of cultivation are known.

On the wide prairies of America each hundred men, with the aid of powerful machinery, can produce in a few months enough wheat to maintain ten thousand people for a whole year. And where man wishes to double his produce, to treble it, to multiply it a hundred-fold, he makes the soil, gives to each plant the requisite care, and thus obtains enormous returns. While the hunter of old had to scour fifty or sixty square miles to find food for his family, the civilized man supports his household, with far less pains, and far more certainty, on a thousandth part of that space. Climate is no longer an obstacle. When the sun fails, man replaces it by artificial heat; and we see the coming of a time when artificial light also will be used to stimulate vegetation. Meanwhile, by the use of glass and hot water pipes, man renders a given space ten and fifty times more productive than it was in its natural state.

The prodigies accomplished in industry are still more striking. With the co-operation of those intelligent beings, modern machines — themselves the fruit of three or four generations of inventors, mostly unknown — a hundred men manufacture now the stuff to clothe ten thousand persons for a period of two years. In well-managed coal mines the labour of a hundred miners furnishes each year enough fuel to warm ten thousand families under an inclement sky. And we have lately witnessed twice the spectacle of a wonderful city springing up in a few months at Paris,[1] without interrupting in the slightest degree the regular work of the French nation.

And if in manufactures as in agriculture, and as indeed through our whole social system, the labour, the discoveries, and the inventions of our ancestors profit chiefly the few, it is none the less certain that mankind in general, aided by the creatures of steel and iron which it already possesses, could already procure an existence of wealth and ease for every one of its members.

Truly, we are rich, far richer than we think; rich in what we already possess, richer still in the possibilities of production of our actual mechanical outfit; richest of all in what we might win from our soil, from our manufactures, from our science, from our technical knowledge, were they but applied to bringing about the well-being of all.

Sir... SIR!

Are you going to place your order or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

It's like hypernerd poetry, shut up! And wouldn't you love to see the story stretched between those two posts? :allears:

Oxxidation posted:

I literally made a longform poem out of a drunken Randbrick rant years ago. Long gone now, unfortunately.

It contained the haunting and strangely relevant phrase "I feel Russian, so much I am undone."

e-As I was typing. SEE!

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 8, 2017

• Locked thread