Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
During Archeoaevis raid, I did the Bartz BSB2 + USB combo, but noticed his BSB2 CMD2 (Spellblade Torrent) didn't trigger any followups. Does it not count as a spellblade ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

KataraniSword posted:

Edge USB and Rosa USB are absolutely the chasers. Anything of Edge's on that banner is a win, really, since his BSB still makes him a solid water ninja and his SSB is basically an early USB with the buffs it offers. Edward's SSB2 is pretty good as a faithga, at least.

Rubicante's relics are garbage, though, even as statsticks (oh boy, a +fire MAGEFIST. Good for my flamin' Raines! :downs:), Golbez's Cloak is worse in almost every way than the armor that gave him his second unique, Rosa's LMR is a "use white magic" iteration effect when you really just want to wrathspam her SSB/USB and thus never use white magic, and Cecil BSB2 is fiddly and really misses the Enholy his BSB1 brought.

It's a trap banner meant to get you fishing for that Edge.

Good to know. I need IV stuff badly though. So it's so tempting. I had planned on pulling but reading that I'm second guessing. Maybe banner 2 is better? Also with Bartz's stuff I'm not sure I want to pull on those banners on the fest, if the layout is the same sort of way. Just as long as I can do the Cid Mission I can hold off.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

To be fair to this IV banner, it was supposed to be over a month ago, power creep has not been kind to its overall viability.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
So with all this hubub about the 30th aside, does anyone have any insights for the banners coming in the future?

I know the FFTA and the Orlandeau banners are god-tier but anything else in the interim that's worth a look?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Kawalimus posted:

Good to know. I need IV stuff badly though. So it's so tempting. I had planned on pulling but reading that I'm second guessing. Maybe banner 2 is better? Also with Bartz's stuff I'm not sure I want to pull on those banners on the fest, if the layout is the same sort of way. Just as long as I can do the Cid Mission I can hold off.

Not really. The best thing on there is probably Ceodore's BSB, and some Kain stuff if you want physical lightning or like Kain. But the bigger strike against it is that all the event shuffling means this banner is closer to the Ursula After Years event, and Banner 1 is literally the return of Ceodore and Kain.

Ursula 1 takes all of the good Ceodore and Kain stuff from Rubicante 2, gives them USBs, then adds in Edward and Tellah's actually decent BSB and SSBs. Tellah gets a burst that mimics Papalymo's SSB on entry and good earth magic commands (be warned for sudden DS graphics) which can shine on an Earth team but still support any team very well.

Ursula 2 is technically her banner, but Rydia steals the show with her new Water focused USB and BSB and the first dualcast summon LM2. Golbez gets a new USB to round off the banner. Yang is there too.

edit: Screwed up estimating dates, although it's still pretty close for two IV events. Rough future event list:

Rubicante
Meliadoul
Umaro/Gogo
~~Fest Start~~ (24 Sep)
Dissidia
~~Fest End~~ (12 Oct)
Scott
Aria
Prompto/Aranea
Ward/Kiros
Rude/Elena
Ursula

pichupal fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 8, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

iamsosmrt posted:

To be fair to this IV banner, it was supposed to be over a month ago, power creep has not been kind to its overall viability.

The XV banner was around that time too and almost none of its relics were duds (Iris' SSB is kinda eh but it's still a Hastega + Critfix).

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

pichupal posted:

~~Fest Start~~ (24 Sep)
Dissidia
~~Fest End~~ (12 Oct)

My butt is real hurt about this one. I really want to make a Dark team because why not, and I'd love the Gabranth Imperil and Garland Chain, but I won't have any mythril at all :sigh:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I'll try to tough it out. I'll do the dollar pulls and maybe they'll be kind. I do have PCecil BSB1 and Kain BSB, plus Porom's Medica and maybe that can carry me through. Plus I feel like the Enkidu magicite has made surviving a hell of a lot easier in general. So maybe I can kill those little doll fucks with just that and whoever my 3rd DPS winds up being.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is Edge worth diving if all I have is his SSB? That thing is really handy, and he does surprisingly great damage in the magicite dungeons, which is most of the reason why I wanted to pull on this banner anyway, since if I nabbed his USB or BSB then I'd have no second thoughts whatsoever about the dive. Doublecast ninja magic is super tempting, but I dunno if I'm in a good position to spend those motes.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is Edge worth diving if all I have is his SSB? That thing is really handy, and he does surprisingly great damage in the magicite dungeons, which is most of the reason why I wanted to pull on this banner anyway, since if I nabbed his USB or BSB then I'd have no second thoughts whatsoever about the dive. Doublecast ninja magic is super tempting, but I dunno if I'm in a good position to spend those motes.

Normal record dive, absolutely - he gets enough +NIN damage that he's a slot-in for any magicite team that gets hit by a weakness to ninja magic. Doubletap is nice, but he might not be a priority for a legend dive if you only have Eblan Doppleganger. It's a tossup, since it'll only really be useful (the double-cast, I mean) in things like Magicite where they have ludicrous defenses.

ceaselessfuture posted:

So with all this hubub about the 30th aside, does anyone have any insights for the banners coming in the future?

I know the FFTA and the Orlandeau banners are god-tier but anything else in the interim that's worth a look?

Going through the upcoming events again, and my (probably mildly inaccurate, as I'm doing this on the quick) hot takes:
  • The Banner 1 on the Aria event isn't that bad, given that it has Refia's entire ensemble, Ingus CSB, OK BSB, and some medicas. It pales in comparison to the Onion Knight banner that hits after FFTA, but it's gonna be happening real soon now.
  • The Prompto/Aranea event banner is gonna be about as good as the Gladio/Iris one was, with a recurrence of Noct BSB, LMR, and SSB, a recurrence of Iris BSB, and a lightning dragoon that at least temporarily dethrones Kain as Best User Of Lightning Dive (at least until Kain gets his CSB/USB later on).
  • The Rude/Elena banner 1 has Rufus's imperil dark BSB, which may actually be one of the best sources of that imperil, period. It's also got Seph's USB (15 hit stacking endark shenanigans), Red's USB, and Seph BSB2. I'm not really sold on any of Aeris's stuff on that banner, tho.
  • If you want FF4 synergy, the TAY banner 1 is a better place for it than the Rubicante banners - Tellah's burst basically has Papalymo's Ley Lines as an entry effect, Kain's USB (instant-cast jumps - not "no air-time", instant cast) is good, Ceodore's stuff has a solid niche even if it's not gonna amaze you at first glance. Banner 2 is mostly for if you want Golbez to be stronger or want Rydia to be a water mage.
  • I shouldn't need to talk about how ridiculous the FFTA banners are. Banner 1 has Marche's USB, Ramza's Shoutburst, Agrias's USB, some really good LMRs, and another chance at Agrias BSB/Ramza USB. Banner 2 has Montblanc's BSB (tri-elemental plus Raines-style MAG/DEF buff), Ovelia's instant-cast last stand/medica USB, and... okay, outside of that the banner focuses a little too hard on Gaffgarion and Rapha. It's still solid, though, just not Banner 1 solid.
  • The Onion Knight banner is likewise ridiculous - it has OK BSB, both USBs, the two Refia relics that matter (her USB and BSB), and Ingus's BSB2. The only real "miss" on those banners is Arc relics.
  • FF14-1 has a recurrence of Alph's USB (it's set to show up in the 30th anniversary), Minfilia's USB, and Haurchefant's "be the best covertank in the game" USB. The bursts are all solid, and honestly it's good for patching up realm synergy holes in general since there's no sign of Deployment Tactics or Stoneskin II anywhere in the event.
  • The Orlandu event is, surprisingly, basically a "you missed out during the FFTA event so here's a chance to try again". Alma's USB and BSB are great, and Orlandeau's USB is solid, but pretty much every good item in the FFTA banners shows back up there.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
FFIV pulls are once again a waste.

Ladies and gentlemen, let me submit a candidate for the single worst pull ever. Worse than Behemoth Knife/11, Barbut/11 and 0/11

Like, normally this is a good pull because of the SSB:

1) I already have a 5*+++
2) Kain and Golbez are my only BSB+ for IV

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Armitage posted:

2) Kain and Golbez are my only BSB+ for IV

:same: except without the Red Jacket.

Oh, wait, I also have Paladin Force, a BSB I forgot because it's so generic and bland.

Also, I cannot ever call dupe/11 a bad pull compared to 0/11. You could use two Red Jacket IVs, it's a lot harder to make use of two Red Jacket VIs. It's more depressing, but not worse.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

KataraniSword posted:

:same: except without the Red Jacket.

Oh, wait, I also have Paladin Force, a BSB I forgot because it's so generic and bland.

Also, I cannot ever call dupe/11 a bad pull compared to 0/11. You could use two Red Jacket IVs, it's a lot harder to make use of two Red Jacket VIs. It's more depressing, but not worse.

I'd probably be less sour about the Jacket pull if I had better IV synergy. Armor is welcome, but my IV synergy is really lousy so I kinda feel like crap about this pull right now. It's pretty much just a stat stick to me at this point, and I don't even use Eblan Doppleganger all that much, even though a lot of people say it's a proto-USB.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 8, 2017

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

KataraniSword posted:

Clearly you don't have his OSB, because dropping Paladin Force into Arc of Light is pretty sweet. Especially when you don't have his USB.

3/22 for the banner: Golbez's Cloak (fine, I have his BSB), Red Jacket (fine, I have his BSB), Soul Harp (sweet, my mage team gets a dedicated Support 5* user with stacking MAG buff and quickcast!)

I'm a little sad they're only SSBs, and I didn't get Rosa's USB, but I'm not salty about it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Normal record dive, absolutely - he gets enough +NIN damage that he's a slot-in for any magicite team that gets hit by a weakness to ninja magic. Doubletap is nice, but he might not be a priority for a legend dive if you only have Eblan Doppleganger. It's a tossup, since it'll only really be useful (the double-cast, I mean) in things like Magicite where they have ludicrous defenses.

Going through the upcoming events again, and my (probably mildly inaccurate, as I'm doing this on the quick) hot takes:

The FF12-1 one is also worth a look: Ashe's powerful USB, lots of toys for Vaan, and overall the banner has a lot of the best relics from the realm.

FF9-1 is also worth considering if only for Vivi's USB; it's arguably the most powerful magical USB at the moment.

The Haurchefant/Ysayle banners are also pretty solid all around.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KataraniSword posted:

Rubicante's relics are garbage, though, even as statsticks (oh boy, a +fire MAGEFIST. Good for my flamin' Raines! :downs:), ... Rosa's LMR is a "use white magic" iteration effect when you really just want to wrathspam her SSB/USB and thus never use white magic, and Cecil BSB2 is fiddly and really misses the Enholy his BSB1 brought.

Some corrections/notes:

Rubicante's cloak is +fire armor, Rubi's glove is a +fire weapon for your ninjas or monks to use, Rosa's LMR gives +5% Mind per USB cast, and you're really underestimating Cecil's BSB2.

KataraniSword posted:

You're forgetting the blink attacks. Edge and Shadow (Shadow more so than Edge thanks to having +Ninja damage instead of +Water damage in his LD) are entirely worth legend diving with zero relics for them.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 8, 2017

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

1/11, Rosa USB. Slightly salty in that I was really rooting for Edge, but gently caress it. Banners not worth chasing at all.

Selfishly I'm rooting for a big change in the fest banners now. With Bartz and Rosa USBs, my dupe count is getting to high in the banner I liked the most.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

iamsosmrt posted:

1/11, Rosa USB. Slightly salty in that I was really rooting for Edge, but gently caress it. Banners not worth chasing at all.

Selfishly I'm rooting for a big change in the fest banners now. With Bartz and Rosa USBs, my dupe count is getting to high in the banner I liked the most.

You got the grand prize on the banner, why are you salty?

Seriously, Rosa USB makes so many fights, including 13 of the 14 currently available Magicite bosses in Japan, enormously easier. Edge's USB is just damage. You can get damage anywhere, even without SBs.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 8, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ninjas keep throwing me off with their weird magic / physical splits, I never really know what to do with them outside of these magicite dungeons. Like I have Shadow's BSB, which I know is pretty high up the list on pure DPS output, but gearing him for that means ninja magic becomes worthless and vice versa. Edge is really doing work with ninja magic, but his relics all boost attack and deal physical damage. What is the optimal way to use these guys?

I'm still tempted to pull on this drat banner but ugh I know I shouldn't.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Are there any future banners that are good for Edge relics? I don't need anything huge, it'd just be nice for him to have something to spend all the soul gauge that he generates flinging 9999 damage ninja magic around.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Ninjas keep throwing me off with their weird magic / physical splits, I never really know what to do with them outside of these magicite dungeons. Like I have Shadow's BSB, which I know is pretty high up the list on pure DPS output, but gearing him for that means ninja magic becomes worthless and vice versa. Edge is really doing work with ninja magic, but his relics all boost attack and deal physical damage. What is the optimal way to use these guys?

I'm still tempted to pull on this drat banner but ugh I know I shouldn't.

Just focus on whichever is better for that particular fight and ignore the SBs if they aren't contributing. Break your dependency on Soul Breaks, we're entering the era of Abilities.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zurai posted:

Some corrections/notes:

Rubicante's cloak is +fire armor, Rubi's glove is a +fire weapon for your ninjas or monks to use, Rosa's LMR gives +5% Mind per USB cast, and you're really underestimating Cecil's BSB2.

I'm underestimating Cecil's BSB2 because aggro is, and always will be, broken. Most physical-oriented bosses are 90% NAT attacks by volume nowdays to get around Retaliate, and that stops Sentinel from working, too. In addition, it slows down the buildup of his CMD1 unless you have an AoE-spamming boss, in which case the Sentinel is wasted anyway. I'll concede I'm underselling it and Rosa's LMR, but it's like... Rosa's LMR is mostly good because Rosa's legend dive isn't good at all. It's better than an empty slot, which is more than you can say about "auto-cure poison/blind on self".

Rubicante's cloak is good as a statstick, Rubicante's glove is vaguely acceptable as a statstick (I'll concede slapping it on ninjas, which mostly boils down to Thancred if you're looking for SB assistance to your Smoldering Fires; Galuf/Refia/Sabin likely have better options since +Fire isn't the rarest element out there, Zell would rather have Duelist than his USB/BSB2 anyway, and that gives +Fire out the gate), Golbez's Cloak is essentially just "I have no armor for this realm so it's better than nothing". (Seriously, synergy-only +dark? on a 5* armor? The hell?)

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Zurai posted:

You got the grand prize on the banner, why are you salty?

Seriously, Rosa USB makes so many fights, including 13 of the 14 currently available Magicite bosses in Japan, enormously easier. Edge's USB is just damage. You can get damage anywhere, even without SBs.

You're right, but I wanted to do cool ninja poo poo.

Zurai, do you play JP and American FFRK equally?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
LFMAO Kiku-Ichimonji on dollar pull

e: so what the hell does Mirror Image come from

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 8, 2017

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
Well, ignored all the calls to not pull, went ham. 250 myth poofed.

Cecil BSB2, Edge SSB X2, Edge BSB x2 (dupes), Golbez SSB, Edward SSB, Rosa USB, Rubicante SSB, Rubicante BSB.

Considering Edward is already at 99 for me and has been a hell of a performer with just Song of Swiftness, and I can always use more hastega/last stand options, and a nice looking set of +fire stat sticks, I should go whack Sealion proper now.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Dollar Draw: Rubi fist
1st pull: golbez ssb
2nd pull: dupe red jacket, Edge lmr cloak
3rd pull: Dupe red jacket, dupe lmr cloak, Edge bsb.

Out of mythril. Judging by the discord, this banner is loving cursed.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

LFMAO Kiku-Ichimonji on dollar pull

e: so what the hell does Mirror Image come from

It's Blink. One of the new 5* Ninja skills will apply it and stack it. It's ideally paired with the other 5* Ninja skill in this event which does more hits based on blink stacks, but Edge with USB can use Water Veil to trigger the chase instead until you get better hones.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Dollar Draw: Rubi fist
1st pull: golbez ssb
2nd pull: dupe red jacket, Edge lmr cloak
3rd pull: Dupe red jacket, dupe lmr cloak, Edge bsb.

Out of mythril. Judging by the discord, this banner is loving cursed.

Eh, how cursed could it be?

...1/11 Red Jacket.

Uh, ok then... At least it's new even though I never use Edge? :confuoot:

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
2/12

100 gem was poop like usual.

Edge BSB
Golbez SSB

Well I got something for Edge so that's cool. I hope I can restrain myself this time around...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

Eh, how cursed could it be?

...1/11 Red Jacket.

Uh, ok then... At least it's new even though I never use Edge? :confuoot:

You will now. That SSB is amazing.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I was only going to do one pull, but I got Cecil's BSB2. I will only use his in CMs since I have plenty of good holy.

Second pull was Edge SSB and Rosa USB!

I think I might skip pulling on fest banners, maybe I can afford one pull outside of luckies.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Oryp posted:

I was only going to do one pull, but I got Cecil's BSB2. I will only use his in CMs since I have plenty of good holy.

Second pull was Edge SSB and Rosa USB!

I think I might skip pulling on fest banners, maybe I can afford one pull outside of luckies.

Out of curiosity, why skip fest banners? Aren't they loaded with crazy relics and BSB+ only? Or do you just have a ton of dupes.

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Giving this one pull with all the upcoming high-value banners and fest. Need all the high-value I can get, so maybe this banner will be kind.

And now I have a healer instead of just putting Curaja on Hope. Nice.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Gentleman Owl posted:

Giving this one pull with all the upcoming high-value banners and fest. Need all the high-value I can get, so maybe this banner will be kind.

And now I have a healer instead of just putting Curaja on Hope. Nice.

Not just *a* healer, basically *the* healer.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Hone up wrath and laugh at the enemy as it tries to hit you with magic.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Out of curiosity, why skip fest banners? Aren't they loaded with crazy relics and BSB+ only? Or do you just have a ton of dupes.

I don't have much saved, and I have a lot of the top prizes already. I may pull once or twice depending on the banners we get.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Man, Edge was my favourite as a kid. It's really hard for me to pass this banner up, especially after seeing the good pulls :(

I MUST FOCUS

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
:rip: everyone who pulled on this cursed banner

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Attestant posted:

:rip: everyone who pulled on this cursed banner

I'm probably one of the few survivors of the banner with a EdgeUSB/11, but it was indeed a really painful banner to spectate.

That said, all my mythril stash is now perfectly aligned so I can pull once on each Anniversary Banner (Regular, Lucky, Cristal Tower Selection).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

ceaselessfuture posted:

Man, Edge was my favourite as a kid. It's really hard for me to pass this banner up, especially after seeing the good pulls :(

I MUST FOCUS

If it helps, most bad pulls aren't going to be posted.

• Locked thread