Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Anyone who isn't watching Toast of London now it's on Netflix worldwide needs to bloody get on with it!

Yeah, it's pretty great. Matt Berry plays a poo poo actor named Steven Toast as he navigates the London theater scene. Being a Matt Berry show it can be pretty surreal and of course there's singing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
One Mississippi Season 2 is live on Prime.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Mad Men is incredible, and Pete is an amazing shithead.

Pete's character journey from the pilot to the finale is amazing because you see so much development and growth in certain aspects and then so much regression and lovely behavior happening alongside it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DivisionPost posted:

Speaking of Amazon, it reversed course on Z: The Beginning of Everything and has canceled the second season in the middle of pre-production.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That's too bad, I was digging Z.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Talking of non-anime people making anime, I would totally not mind at all if some auteur took a stab at a live action Key: The Metal Idol

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I want someone to attempt to adapt Utena, but it probably loses a lot of its love letter/satire of shoujo bits if it isn't animated.

Still, though, the visuals in the show and especially the movie would be fun as hell in a live action setting.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

DivisionPost posted:

And it's incredibly charming after four of its six episodes. Really glad to have it back, it's a nice cuddly appetizer that'll give me strength for the unceasing existential blackness of BoJack Horseman S4.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

More like two Mississippi

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lady Dynamite returns November 10th!!!!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Oh snap, I didn't know lady dynamite was getting a second season.

zoux posted:

No, they didn't kill him, is the thing. He just disappeared and suddenly Miller is developing chemistry with another dude and I'm like, uh what happened to your long term boyfriend Bryan from the very beginning of the show.

Last season was super forgettable so maybe I just couldn't tell the difference, but I thought both Miller and his boyfriend still showed up in scenes, just not with each other?

raditts fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 8, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Who is the not-Maggie woman in this scene? I swear I've seen her before but am also terrible with names
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2iaYjmLj1U&t=568s

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2007030/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

I only know her as the annoying friend on S1 of The Leftovers. Do actors on HBO shows get some kind of deal to appear in future shows?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2007030/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

I only know her as the annoying friend on S1 of The Leftovers. Do actors on HBO shows get some kind of deal to appear in future shows?

I'm starting to think that HBO is just really lazy with their casting.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
HBO probably occassionaly works like Netflix and networks like CBS in that they make exclusivity deals with talent (not just actors but also developers, showrunners, writers, etc.) to appear on their network but not yet with a specific show in mind (Lauren Graham and Sara Ramirez signed deals like that for instance), or sometimes the deal was signed for a longer period than the show is on the air for, so they get to appear on multiple shows until their contract runs out.

Hence why you see so many of the same actors pop up on multiple Netflix shows. Will Arnett is the frontrunner I think, he appears on like 4 or 5 of them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That would explain why those terrible Netflix fluffer shows keep getting made...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Lady Dynamite returns November 10th!!!!
I'm pumped as hell for this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pumped as hell for this.

CRADLE THE BALLS AND WORK THE SHAFT

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

Oh snap, I didn't know lady dynamite was getting a second season.

Last season was super forgettable so maybe I just couldn't tell the difference, but I thought both Miller and his boyfriend still showed up in scenes, just not with each other?

I checked the sigh..The 100 wikipedia because, you're right it seems odd just to put him on the bus like that, but yeah his last appearance is the fight I mentioned.

Also I thought the last season was really good.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Is the Deuce any good?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First ep is real good, yeah.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

Also I thought the last season was really good.

Same. I'm also glad they finally did a time skip, since barely a year (if that) passed between seasons 1-4.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

esperterra posted:

Same. I'm also glad they finally did a time skip, since barely a year (if that) passed between seasons 1-4.

I've actually enjoyed all the seasons, though they majorly dropped the ball with the Pike stuff last session and really hosed up Bellamy's character, though they kind of fixed it this year.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Good Lord. The otherwise good Atypical really waste Jennifer Jason Leigh. What a terrible character they wrote for her. Why would she even agree to take it?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PriorMarcus posted:

Good Lord. The otherwise good Atypical really waste Jennifer Jason Leigh. What a terrible character they wrote for her. Why would she even agree to take it?

Is that show actually good? Whatever spot I saw for it made it look kind of insufferably, I hate to use it, but twee?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

IRQ posted:

Is that show actually good? Whatever spot I saw for it made it look kind of insufferably, I hate to use it, but twee?

Yeah. It's good but slight. It's not really twee outside of the main characters occasional inner monologues. Basically it's worth watching for the sister and father and also for the spectacle of the worst judged female character plot in years.

Oh and I guess it's kind of twee when the main guys terrible best friend shows up from a different genre all together.

I might of just convinced myself it's not good actually...

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
After running off David E Kelley, now GOLIATH has lost its second season showrunner. Seems Billy Bob isn't the easiest to work with.

What's crazy though is that because of changes it's working out around $10m an episode. That's more than GoT is costing.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/amazons-goliath-loses-second-showrunner-1036095

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

I've actually enjoyed all the seasons, though they majorly dropped the ball with the Pike stuff last session and really hosed up Bellamy's character, though they kind of fixed it this year.

I've thought every season has been overall better than the last. The Bellamy stuff that year was fine to me, he's always been a follower of strong leaders, the Pike stuff just felt rushed as all hell. They had too much plot to cram into a season of a show that burns through story very quickly, so it was a little off kilter in the first half.

e: 2 is prob still my fave tho

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Bellamy being willing to straight up massacre an allied army of grounders just because they were grounders seemed totally out of character for him and a giant step back. That's two times he's gotten 300 innocent people killed for no good reason. At least all the times Clarke has killed 300 people it was part of some plan with a justifiable reason, even if it wasn't necessarily the right one.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

Bellamy being willing to straight up massacre an allied army of grounders just because they were grounders seemed totally out of character for him and a giant step back. That's two times he's gotten 300 innocent people killed for no good reason. At least all the times Clarke has killed 300 people it was part of some plan with a justifiable reason, even if it wasn't necessarily the right one.

Bellamy's always taken issue with grounders, he's just more willing to work with them than most. The real issue I had with his heel turn onto Pike's side was the girlfriend they introduced like 2 episodes before killing her, to give him a better reason to join. If they had worked the Pike stuff in earlier and built that girl up more it would work much better, imo.

A lot of character problems in this show are easily remedied by remembering only like half a year had passed since landing on Earth, in season 3. Tensions were still high af.

I do agree it was a stretch to have all that stuff happen so quickly, but in general I think all the right pieces were in place to make it work. It was just executed badly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Bellamy's always taken issue with grounders, he's just more willing to work with them than most. The real issue I had with his heel turn onto Pike's side was the girlfriend they introduced like 2 episodes before killing her, to give him a better reason to join. If they had worked the Pike stuff in earlier and built that girl up more it would work much better, imo.

A lot of character problems in this show are easily remedied by remembering only like half a year had passed since landing on Earth, in season 3. Tensions were still high af.

I do agree it was a stretch to have all that stuff happen so quickly, but in general I think all the right pieces were in place to make it work. It was just executed badly.

It's totally crazy. They were allies. It's totally believable that they other people would all go along with it, but the fact that any of the main cast would ever, or should ever, forgive him is ludicrous. He's a literal bad guy now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I thought it would've worked better if they had introduced the girlfriend as one of Pike's people, have Bellamy as an early Pike supporter, then becomes conflicted after the massacre instead of later on. Same basic plot beats.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The biggest problem with Pike is that we the audience had never seen him before. So it is kind of hard to swallow how everybody just kind of falls in line with him (except our heroes.)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Them waiting til the end of the season for the Pike flashback with the original 100 was a bad move.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

The biggest problem with Pike is that we the audience had never seen him before. So it is kind of hard to swallow how everybody just kind of falls in line with him (except our heroes.)

Well originally they wanted Ellen Tigh to be the Pike char, but she had scheduling conflicts.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

esperterra posted:

Them waiting til the end of the season for the Pike flashback with the original 100 was a bad move.

Yeah, that was definitely a stupid move.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

esperterra posted:

Now THAT was a fridging.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm halfway through the new season of Bojack Horseman and went to TV Tropes to refresh my memory and there's already spoilers for season four all over the place. Goddamn it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Why would you go to tv tropes, of all places, if you wanted to avoid spoilers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Why would you go to tv tropes, of all places

• Locked thread