Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rangpur posted:

...yeah alright, that's fair.

I stand by the rest of it though.

edit:

Oh. Oh dear.

Is there some context I am missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Fox's animation division was pretty well-regarded once. What they've done lately is Family Guy, terminal-stage Simpsons and Alan Gregory.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Julias posted:

I both love it and hate it. It looks ugly and I doubt the plot's gonna be good, but the world looks really interesting and diverse, and if it has a good sense of humor or can pull off emotional moments well I could see myself actually enjoying it.
jokes aside, this is sorta where i am with it.

like I'm not expecting it to be great and yeah it looks like another season of code lyoko time traveled ahead like eleven years, but just conceptually, I have to TRY it

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nothing associated with jaden smith is ever good.
that track he's on in tyler the creator's new album is pretty good

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

Is there some context I am missing?

afaict, ADHD was Fox's attempt to try and capitalize on the audience [adult swim] cultivated with their own programming and tried to produce some of their own original content after its place on the Sunday lineup was starting to wane (that block would be rebranded as Sunday Funday). It originally existed to fill a programming hole on late night Saturdays and was then later moved to FXX as it pretty much failed in that slot. Of the series that aired there, however, none made it past two seasons and the block was canceled last year, though some of its programming still reruns. Pretty much all of it was meh to bad and was intended to aim towards the late night stoner crowd that [as] reached.

Rangpur posted:

Fox's animation division was pretty well-regarded once. What they've done lately is Family Guy, terminal-stage Simpsons and Alan Gregory.

Bob's Burgers is really good and that came out in the same year as Alan Greggory.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
e; this is the wrong thread, but neo yokio still looks like butt

bob's burgers is ok

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Compendium posted:

We had stuff like Justice League, Teen Titans, Code Kyoko, and Samurai Jack. Oh, and Static Shock. There was definitely bad stuff, but these were a decent crop around that time.

I hate that I now have the Code Lyoko theme in my head after reading this post. And not even the cute beep boop version, the bad version with lyrics.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I watched the first episode of Code Lyoko for a podcast not long ago and woof. That show's weirder than I remember.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Yeah, I find that true with a lot of things I used to watch as a kid.

Too bad I can't remember the anime I used to watch as a kid while growing up in Japan. I do recall a good number of Student Council saving the world animes and this morning show where a girl goes into a video game to get ingredients, but she can lose the game and loses an ingame friend in the process.

I didn't understand but it seemed real dark. Wouldn't mind rewatching those.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Yeah, I find that true with a lot of things I used to watch as a kid.

Too bad I can't remember the anime I used to watch as a kid while growing up in Japan. I do recall a good number of Student Council saving the world animes and this morning show where a girl goes into a video game to get ingredients, but she can lose the game and loses an ingame friend in the process.

I didn't understand but it seemed real dark. Wouldn't mind rewatching those.

have you tried posting them here?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The first episode of Code Lyoko has an extended sequence where a 14 year old girl is in her underwear.

It was quite uncomfortable for all of us on the podcast to talk about.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm sorry you all felt it necessitated more than a passing comment

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

E: Never mind, not going to bite.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 8, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's more a jab at the adtrw goon tendency to wring hands over anything uncomfortable/borderline sexual/etc when a "so this happened and it sucked, anyway moving on" suffices

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was less handwringing and more "Wow this sucks" and proceeding to talk about everything in the scene that was not underwear.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sounds better than the takeaway i got from your first post, my bad then

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Turns out Vanishing Line was actually the new season of Garooo! Already looks way better than Crimson Moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Bqexemyfg

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I'd rather people "wring their hands" over such things so I know which shows to avoid.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 8, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Bob's Burgers is really good and that came out in the same year as Alan Greggory.
Oh right I forgot about Bob's Burgers. Man, I gotta be like 3 seasons behind on that one by now. Does Netflix still have it?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

I'd rather people "wring their hands" over such things so I know which shows to avoid.

i mean, the alternative presented wasn't to not acknowledge that stuff at all

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Yeah, my bad. I think I've just had some bad experiences with shows in general where people have glossed over awkward content.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Theowulv posted:

Turns out Vanishing Line was actually the new season of Garooo! Already looks way better than Crimson Moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Bqexemyfg

Wonder which one's GARO? None of them exactly look like your typical protagonist. Big muscly dude and sniper guy seem like secondary Makai Knights, and innocent teenage girl or sexy lady in underwear would be... quite the departure.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Unless they walked that back at some point women can't be Makai Knights so

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it being a garo show made it about 1000% less interesting

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

garo is p cool, I liked the doctor episode in S1.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motto posted:

Unless they walked that back at some point women can't be Makai Knights so

Well, exactly.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is a real show? This is some kind of joke, right?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean. yes. that is a french cartoon that aired in 2003. i'm not really sure what is unbelievable about this

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not everything can be Totally Spies, I guess.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

how many of you actually clicked this and watched this?

"yo we gotta teach these old money fuccbois a lesson, you can't give archangel the satisfaction B"

this was an actual line of dialogue spoken about halfway through the video. I feel like someone should have pointed this out, so now I have pointed it out. Thanks for reading.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

"yo we gotta teach these old money fuccbois a lesson, you can't give archangel the satisfaction B"

this was an actual line of dialogue spoken about halfway through the video. I feel like someone should have pointed this out, so now I have pointed it out. Thanks for reading.

To be fair, old money fuccbois do need to be taught a lesson.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

AnacondaHL posted:

i subtly pointed it out, and what makes it better is that im 90% sure that's mero saying it

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is a real show? This is some kind of joke, right?

Objectively, the style is kinda ugly even compared to Neo Yokio, but it's still well regarded and people have fond memories of it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I had forgotten how ridiculously huge everyone's foreheads were in that show

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

paging space flower

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nothing associated with jaden smith is ever good.

The Get Down was pretty good...

The anime style reminds me of Totally Spies, especially the shading style. That said, woof, that voice acting. I mean, people say voice acting is super easy but these people were loving mumbling. And the names attached to this product! Law, Sarandon, what made you think this was a worthwhile endeavor!? Couldn't they have asked for help from actual, trained voice actors?

And what is the MCs name? Kaz Khan? Kaz-kun? ENUNCIATE!

re: Code Lyoko and that crop of ameri-anime:
I remember fondly watching Lyoko but I also remember how stiff the animation was and how big those drat foreheads were. Man, the 00s were a weird time

e2: And the old anime expressions of nosebleeds and sweatdrops! It's really weird to see that now since current anime styles that use that seem to be less "dramatic" in its presentation

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 8, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the trailer seems really badly edited especially wrt the dialogue so I'm kind of expecting that stuff to be better in the show proper

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The color coordination and shading in Totally Spies was better.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also I bet this won't have nearly as many weird fetishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Also I bet this won't have nearly as many weird fetishes.

hard pass

• Locked thread