Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You forgot that they also have superior manueverability and aim due to a direct wetware link with the pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I actually think a Zaku could do remarkably well against PD grunt-suits. Its 120mm machine-gun is standard for the setting, and the heat hawk could not only do respectable kinetic damage, but also burn away a suit's nanolaminate coating in a similar manner to the PD setting's anti-ship napalm.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Begemot posted:

The Tallgeese even fills the role that the Gundam typically fills. It's the ur-mobile suit, the super prototype that everything else is based on. It's like TWENTY years old at the start of the series but still runs circles around everything because it's not designed for mass production.

Late but this isn't the role the Gundam typically fills. In fact, it hadn't had that role once at the time Wing started.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the original super prototype was the zaku, wasn't it? the gundam may be the foundation of the earth federation's mobile suits, but that was in reaction to zeon's suits

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I actually think a Zaku could do remarkably well against PD grunt-suits. Its 120mm machine-gun is standard for the setting, and the heat hawk could not only do respectable kinetic damage, but also burn away a suit's nanolaminate coating in a similar manner to the PD setting's anti-ship napalm.

I was thinking a Zaku II, Gouf, or the RX-78 with the hammer would be your best bet, yeah. IBO suits seem more tailored to close combat, and I'm pretty sure an AV hookup would enhance that advantage something fierce, but a talented commander could probably trade one for one, with luck. Especially considering the average quality of Post Disaster military commanders.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gaia Gear "grunts" are kind of crazy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

the original super prototype was the zaku, wasn't it? the gundam may be the foundation of the earth federation's mobile suits, but that was in reaction to zeon's suits

The Zaku I wasn't a super prototype, it was the first mass-produced mobile weapon.

There's probably one or fifteen novels written about whatever prototype came before it, since it's early UC stuff.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Zaku I wasn't a super prototype, it was the first mass-produced mobile weapon.

There's probably one or fifteen novels written about whatever prototype came before it, since it's early UC stuff.

Origin shows the process, although differently than in other UC stuff.

There, the first "Mobile Suit" was the Guntank. It was crap. Then there were Zeon Mobile workers, which were somewhat less crap, than the WAFF, which was almost alright, and so on through a chain of decisions that eventually lead to the ultimate mobile suit.

The Guncannon.

Oh, and a bunch of other, inferior mobile suits. But mostly the Guncannon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the zaku was in use before the guncannon in the origin, wasn't it? the cannons were pretty useless in that head to head tho

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, The Origin order is Guntank > mobile workers > Zaku I > Guncannon > Zaku II > Gundam units > GM I + Guncannon retrofit.

As opposed to First Gundam's Zaku I > Zaku II > Project Victory (Gundam + Guncannon + Guntank).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Pretty loving presumptuous to call your project Project Victory

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Welcome to military projects. Also it wasn't like they were wrong!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think you'll find the tone of that name was more "dear god, let this give us a victory" than generic military bravado.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Droyer posted:

Late but this isn't the role the Gundam typically fills. In fact, it hadn't had that role once at the time Wing started.

Didn't the Gundam from Gundam Age fill that role?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you'll find the tone of that name was more "dear god, let this give us a victory" than generic military bravado.

Surely this tank with arms will win the war

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Didn't the Gundam from Gundam Age fill that role?

Not precisely.

Both Gundam 00 and Gundam Age have a 'legendary Gundam' which is basically the RX-78-2 but protagonist squads are just evolutions of that Gundam, not the original prototype. (Though the original prototype does show up in 00 but it's actually pretty outdated by that point and they give it to one of their secondary dudes.) In both shows though MSes existed already it was just that the Gundams were ancient legends. IBO for that matter to.

... honestly at this point "the Gundam(rx782 thinly veiled knockoff) is a legendary suit from old times that the protagonist is based off of" is rapidly becoming the default for Gundam units at this point with old times just varying from a decade to a thousand years.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caros posted:

I don't think Wing uses Minovsky particles at all. There is one reference on a monitor to M-Particles, but the Buster and Twin Buster Rifles are officially plasma weapons. This is how Wing nukes two Leos with just the heat wave off the edge of the beam itself, which you don't really see in a mega-particle weapon.

The ZZ's Hi Mega Cannon explicitly does this a few times; there's at least one occasion where it melts the legs off an enemy MS which successfully dodges the beam but is relatively close to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

The ZZ's Hi Mega Cannon explicitly does this a few times; there's at least one occasion where it melts the legs off an enemy MS which successfully dodges the beam but is relatively close to it.

The Unicorn Gundam's Beam Magnum also blows up a unit that way too. It's part of what horrified Banagher about it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

It's totally in line with WW2 codenames, though, which is what they were going for.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

What would you prefer.....project failure...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

GulagDolls posted:

That would be much funnier

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Project H(ayato)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GulagDolls posted:

This isn't Gundam Wing, and Treize isn't behind it.

Otherwise that'd probably be the name.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The Unicorn Gundam's Beam Magnum also blows up a unit that way too. It's part of what horrified Banagher about it.

I love that the Beam Magnum is simply the logical endpoint for the original Gundam's beam rifle. Instead of squeezing multiple shots out of a single power cell it just slaps them together in a magazine and dumps the entire charge of one into a single shot.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

GulagDolls posted:

pretty sure that was already taken by the zudah.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GulagDolls posted:

*casually points at the many failed prototypes made by various factions throughout the Universal Century*

We got plenty of those in stock. Take your pick.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqQ_OwXVeA4

That wasn't as full of injokes as episode 1, but it was pretty fun. Minato has a lot of the same issues as Mao, but I always enjoy seeing the Dryon III being anime as gently caress.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The next one should be Fellini and Mihoshi.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
According to the end of the episode preview it's Fumina and Gyanko.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That was was... really boring honestly?

It had some okay animation bits I guess but otherwise it was just sort of one boring robot and one repeating-a-funny-joke sort of doing random attacks for ten minutes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Minato is the best and the Dryon Drei is just as good as the Tryon 3, even with a boring colour scheme. The Lightning Black Warrior is boring but that's what I expect out of Yuuma, plus, I like the naming - someone really took Meijin's advice to heart, he's even copying the Amazing Red Warrior's name!

Also the art shifts were cool as hell, as was Yuuma getting so into it that he called his own attacks too despite his usual personality. And seeing both rivals work together was neat even if they blew it in the end.

Give me more Minato and more stupid Super Robots forever. That was the one undeniably good thing that came out of Try.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

According to the end of the episode preview it's Fumina and Gyanko.

Could be alright, unless it revolves around Sekai.

It's going to revolve around Sekai, isn't it?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

chumbler posted:

Could be alright, unless it revolves around Sekai.

It's going to revolve around Sekai, isn't it?

the set up for it in other media implies it's gonna be Sakai and Gyanko's brother piloting them so

no, prolly not

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

the set up for it in other media implies it's gonna be Sakai and Gyanko's brother piloting them so

no, prolly not

Oh are you loving serious.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yeah

not looking forward to it

Caros
May 14, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

yeah

not looking forward to it

It really is uncanny how Build Fighters = Good and Tri = Garbage in almost every circumstance.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

All this talk about powerful grunts and you all seem to be forgetting about the Gundam X.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

Minato is the best and the Dryon Drei is just as good as the Tryon 3, even with a boring colour scheme. The Lightning Black Warrior is boring but that's what I expect out of Yuuma,

At least it's not a fourth backpack for the Lightning Gundam.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Caros posted:

It really is uncanny how Build Fighters = Good and Tri = Garbage in almost every circumstance.

There's some good kits from Tri...

And yeah. That's about it.

The 70s SUPER ROBOT shots are amusing, but that's about it for selling points in this one.

And the ending would work better if they didn't spend the last "30 seconds" in Jojo time. Makes it too obvious that the time running out only existed for the joke that they were too busy bickering to actually win.

It really is BF vs. Try in a nutshell, isn't it? A goofy celebration of the franchise versus a boring sports anime with almost no stakes and some token Gundam stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Dryon 3 separating to fly down a a narrow canyon counts as a Gundam reference, I guess?