Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Who wouldn't want to see some three eyed dude pretending to be Palpatine's illegitimate three eyed son marry a robot clone of Princess Leia with laser eyes?

Given how batshit insane the EU was, I legit can't tell if this is satire or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He did have a three-eyed son, not sure about the robot Leia.

One of the son's eyes was on the back of his head. It's dumb.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
None of that post was made up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
No but seriously, I started listening to the Star Wars radio drama and it's good. I'd pay as much as 5 bucks to listen to a TFA one to see if it's better than the movie.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

well why not posted:

He did have a three-eyed son, not sure about the robot Leia.

One of the son's eyes was on the back of his head. It's dumb.
His real son had the eye in the back of his head, his fake son had the eye in the middle of his forehead. :eng101:

(To be clear, this is all from a kids' book series that was weird and ridiculous even by the standards of the EU.)

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Honestly if someone was like "yeah my favorite Star Wars EU book was the one that follows IG-88 through the difficult process of adopting Greedo's orphaned children" I'd be like bold direction for the franchise to take, by ok.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Penpal posted:

I'm usually up on Star Wars poo poo, but I can't recall, have there been any named lightsabres in the vein of Excalibur, Oathkeeper, Anduril? I guess Samurai weren't really known for that

That's definitely the way the new movies are treating Anakin's saber so far. Complete with a drawing the sword from the stone snow moment.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Canemacar posted:

That's definitely the way the new movies are treating Anakin's saber so far. Complete with a drawing the sword from the stone snow moment.

I mean, Obi-Wan thought the sword was important enough to take it from Anakids corpse and pass it on to his son.

"This weapon is your life"

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

UmOk posted:

I mean, Obi-Wan thought the sword was important enough to take it from Anakids corpse and pass it on to his son.

"This weapon is your life"

Eh. That was more to establish a link between the young Luke and the absent father he adored in ANH, than any reverence for the weapon itself. Once he loses the saber and learns who his father really is, he doesn't mourn it's loss.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

As a huge fan of of the PT and the OT it is incredibly fun when talking to other people about these damned Star Wars to call lightsabres "laser swords" (like my boy Lucas) and watch them squirm or give me a confused "uhhh?"

I'm surprised with his popularity Disney aren't making a solo Thrawn movie, but using him for the rebels show. I've never been compelled to watch rebels aside from the mcquarrie designs being used and I liked the look of the thin laser swords but watching a kid's show sounds boring and mind killing

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

MonsieurChoc posted:

No but seriously, I started listening to the Star Wars radio drama and it's good. I'd pay as much as 5 bucks to listen to a TFA one to see if it's better than the movie.

Only if they bring Perry King back as Han.

I had the ROTJ radio drama on CD when I was a kid, which had a hilarious cast: Ed Asner was Jabba, John Lithgow as Yoda, and I believe Ed Begley Jr. was Boba Fett.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

JazzFlight posted:

Also, it retconned in that the weakness of the Death Star was an intentional design flaw (for better or worse impact on the story).

People get really hung up on this. I've seen R1 twice and it struck me that the flaw wasn't the exhaust port but the fact that the reactor would violently chain-react if it was disrupted. Her dad mentions sneaking a team onto the Death Star to blow it up from the inside out, by attaching a charge directly to the reactor. It's more like a best of both worlds situation. Someone put a weakness in the DS, but the Rebels still had to figure out a strategy to actually make use of it with the resources they had.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The flaw in the Death Star reflects the flaw in the system that built it: they could not imagine that someone serving them under duress would turn against them. I like it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Agreed, it is way better to associate the flaw in the autocratic superpower (no consideration for individuals) directly with the flaw in their superweapon.

Also it makes Vader clowning on the Moff in charge of the Death Star even better, because when he's all "insignificant compared to the power of the Force" he knows the design team was compromised and got a message to the Rebels.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

They shouldn't have built the second one with the same flaw tbh

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

El Burbo posted:

Well, they only had that one set of plans lying around.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Instant Sunrise posted:

None of that post was made up.

Get out of my office.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

El Burbo posted:

Wedge has to blow up some kind of regulator unit before Lando hits the core so that was presumably the fix.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Krennic was/is my favorite Star Wars.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Milky Moor posted:

Between Krennic and Kylo Ren the new movies have done a good job with new entertainingly pathetic villains, while the heroes are all rather bland.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Between Krennic and Kylo Ren the new movies have done a good job with new entertainingly pathetic villains, while the heroes are all rather bland.

I thought Cassian had a bit of depth, but that came down to how well Diego Luna portrayed him, not so much the script. Jyn might've been interesting in the original cut of the film but, well, she's a bit uneven in it as is. I'm really not set on Rey, Finn or Poe at all. All three of them feel like blank ciphers that we're supposed to imprint ourselves onto (and I still don't like their names, I think TFA was just abominable at names).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Milky Moor posted:

I love Director Krennic.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I liked it when he said "The POWAH we are dealing with is immeasurable"

Too bad he never said it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
"I have lost nothing but time" is a rather chilling look into his psyche.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

El Burbo posted:

I liked it when he said "The POWAH we are dealing with is immeasurable"

Too bad he never said it
There's a lot of good lines in the Disney Star Wars trailers that never seem to show up in the films like Finn's "I was raised to do one thing" from the final TFA trailer

What are the odds Luke never talks about ending the Jedi in TLJ

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Krennic and the Mephistophelean, playful Vader kick rear end.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cat Machine posted:

There's a lot of good lines in the Disney Star Wars trailers that never seem to show up in the films like Finn's "I was raised to do one thing" from the final TFA trailer

That line was in the film though, when Finn briefly abandons Rey on Takodana.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

Well, TFA the film couldn't quite decide what Finn was doing in the First Order either. On one hand, he serves under Phasma and helps kill people. On the other, he's apparently a mere sanitation worker who was never, ever, ever responsible for anything bad the FO did because he just worked the trash compactors. Finn is the one good Stormtrooper, you see.

Unless Phasma led the sanitation brigade or something. But then why would the janitors be the people sent to burn down villages?

Finn's line that he worked in sanitation always struck me as a lie to obfuscate his past and get him on to Starkiller Base. But apparently it's true -- which loops back to...

Anyway, apparently the novels explain it all but that seems to be a recurring issue with TFA.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Milky Moor posted:

Well, TFA the film couldn't quite decide what Finn was doing in the First Order either. On one hand, he serves under Phasma and helps kill people. On the other, he's apparently a mere sanitation worker who was never, ever, ever responsible for anything bad the FO did because he just worked the trash compactors. Finn is the one good Stormtrooper, you see.

Unless Phasma led the sanitation brigade or something. But then why would the janitors be the people sent to burn down villages?

Finn's line that he worked in sanitation always struck me as a lie to obfuscate his past and get him on to Starkiller Base. But apparently it's true -- which loops back to...

Anyway, apparently the novels explain it all but that seems to be a recurring issue with TFA.

Technically what they did to that village was sanitation. :v:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Milky Moor posted:

The best I can figure is that "sanitation work" was a euphemism. The janitors were there to dispose of the trash.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
He just had latrine duty while he was posted at Starkiller Base. Just like an awful lot of soldiers do.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Phasma, I'm really interested to see what her role in VIII and IX is. She was all over the marketing for VII, but ended up basically being the Boba Fett, a bit of badassery followed by a rather ignominious downfall. But then they quickly confirm "yes", she's coming back for VIII", and just now we're getting an origin story novel and a VII-to-VIII linking comic miniseries. Clearly there are plans for the character.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Phasma...a bit of badassery...

When did this happen

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Shes visually cool before she gets thrown in the trash

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

feedmyleg posted:

When did this happen

More her demeanor and status, more than the actions she personally commits. Like Fett in ESB.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Being an officer in the nazi cosplayers brigade isn't as cool as a give no fucks buckethead man who Vader warns shouldn't be as xtreme as normal when hunting down rebel scum.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love Director Krennic.

He should direct Episode IX.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Phasma, I'm really interested to see what her role in VIII and IX is. She was all over the marketing for VII, but ended up basically being the Boba Fett, a bit of badassery followed by a rather ignominious downfall. But then they quickly confirm "yes", she's coming back for VIII", and just now we're getting an origin story novel and a VII-to-VIII linking comic miniseries. Clearly there are plans for the character.

Phasma a baffling and cynical choice to recreate another Boba Fett. Except that nothing at all about the marketing tallied up with anything in the movie. She hilariously caves in immediately and then we're supposed to think that this is some new badass character? gently caress that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Her novel and comic series are really helping flesh out what she's all about. She's smart enough to know there's not a whole lot she can do with a literal gun to her head.

And after the events of VII, she's smart enough to cover her tracks and pin the lowering of the shields on someone else

jivjov fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Krennic is adorable

Being Tarkin is suffering

• Locked thread