Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

thanks all! I haven't heard of armed & delirious, fran bow and full pipe, will check those out.

also wow i just checked hopkins fbi on lp, wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Groovelord Neato posted:

the best part about dark seed 2 is the character is still mike dawson but they didn't use the real mike dawson and made him into a giant wimp. the twist in the second game is so goddamn bad.

i wish there were more freaky games like harvester. what a trip.
I've heard some comparisons with visuals and tone in a recent goon made game called 'The Nothing': http://store.steampowered.com/app/672690/The_Nothing/

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Man the gameplay in Scorn looks boring :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Skyscraper posted:

If they don't have to be point and click adventure games specifically, I'd recommend Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) and Deadly Premonition, I enjoyed both for being completely insane.

Indigo Prophecy gently caress sucks in every way while Deadly Premonition is janky but utterly charming and enjpyable.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Also, if you are okay with side scroller adventure games, the Cat Lady is pretty good.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Indigo Prophecy gently caress sucks in every way while Deadly Premonition is janky but utterly charming and enjpyable.

Deadly Premonition's plot is legitimately great and imaginative. Francis York Morgan is worth playing the entire game for.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Detention and Lone Survivor are both good too, dunno if I'd call them bonkers but quality horror adventure and 2d survival horror games respectively

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Knorth posted:

Detention and Lone Survivor are both good too, dunno if I'd call them bonkers but quality horror adventure and 2d survival horror games respectively

Detention is 10/10, for sure. Everyone should play it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

discworld is all I read posted:

I've heard some comparisons with visuals and tone in a recent goon made game called 'The Nothing': http://store.steampowered.com/app/672690/The_Nothing/

I played a game years ago made with Clickteam that was inspired by that Canadian Cube horror movie. Looked just like this game, I wonder if they're by the same devs.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

It looks freaky and unsettling.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Indigo Prophecy starts super strong and you're straight up lying if you say there's nothing good to it, it goes downhill real hard and fast, but it still has a really good early game.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

As in, it goes downhill right after the demo. The demo is the most developed part and they intentionally framed it like that style would encompass the entire game.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
That implies that David Cage added the internet is trying to kill, btw you boned a lady as a zombie elements as a trick to the player. Rather than a legitimate attempt at elevating the medium.

Though I do like the implication that for every David Cage game he realises halfway through that he hosed up.

"Oh this game, it is so beautiful and will be a lovely reflection on the harsh realities people live with. So many interesting characters and-AW poo poo I hosed it up again. Quick, mess with the beginning so nobody will notice."

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Ooo, I didn't know Dead End Road dev was a goon. I might pick this up later, thanks for the heads up.

We had a discussion in work about horror games yesterday, my manager was talking about how Emily Wants To Play was the scariest poo poo ever. I'm trying to get a list of real spooky/cheap games to force him to play to show him some good scares. The one I want to get him to play is imscared because I goddamn love that game, but it's a bit of a hard sell. maybe White Day would be more suitable.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Ooo, I didn't know Dead End Road dev was a goon. I might pick this up later, thanks for the heads up.

We had a discussion in work about horror games yesterday, my manager was talking about how Emily Wants To Play was the scariest poo poo ever. I'm trying to get a list of real spooky/cheap games to force him to play to show him some good scares. The one I want to get him to play is imscared because I goddamn love that game, but it's a bit of a hard sell. maybe White Day would be more suitable.

Get him to try Ib or the Witch's House. These catch everyone off guard.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Crabtree posted:

Are there any horror games that just go as far as they can into the realm of the bizarre that they actually work in becoming uncomfortable by sheer strangeness?

Layers of fear approaches this. One hell of a downer ending too, which is good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ib is great but for whatever reason I just do not like witch's house or mad father.

I think it is probably because (spoilers for all 3 games) witch's house and mad father both have endings that feel like a kick in the shins after all the poo poo you go through whereas ib at least gives you a way to obtain a happy ending where everything turns out okay instead of "welp I guess I'll follow in my horrible father's footsteps and become a serial killer" or "haha I switched bodies with you and now you've been killed by your own dad hahahahaha." Seriously, I know I'm probably in the minority here but those endings pissed me off.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Yeah, he went by Depressing Drawers on here and I mostly remember him from doing a couple of LP's back in the day. But yeah, all of his games are fairly strange affairs, like Roguelike Pachinko?

And I'd say Anatomy might be a good game to have someone play; it doesn't really rely on jump scares and instead is a slow burn leading further and further into strange poo poo and dread. Or maybe Eversion, though they have to know what to do to get the spooky stuff in that really.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Naw, I don't know what your axe to grind here is but Indigo Prophecy is both playable and completely bonkers, despite a lot of other shortcomings, and I got through it in an afternoon. Deadly Premonition was bonkers, but at least the original X360 release that I played had serious playability issues, both in the form of game-breaking bugs and just bad decisions about gameplay (the radio specifically, and a few of the subplot items in the middle). It took me months to finish and I quit a couple of times in the middle. Maybe it's since been patched, I don't know.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol the 360 version is the least broken one

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Sakurazuka posted:

lol the 360 version is the least broken one
The steam version came out so much later, I figured there had been patches :/

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

The steam version came out so much later, I figured there had been patches :/
Nah, it's a fairly terrible port. I assume that's why it's pretty easy to get on PC for a $1 (like it seems to be 2.50 right now at the humble store https://www.humblebundle.com/store/deadly-premonition-the-directors-cut?hmb_source=search_bar), while the 360 version is still anywhere between $10-20 bucks. Or maybe it's something to do with scarcity and physical media...it's a bit difficult to say. But yeah, PC is fairly buggy and I think there's a few fan made patches that made it more viable but PC still might have troubles.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Fran Bow is great except one part of the game in the second third or so that goes on waaaaaaaaaay too long and has a couple of really annoying puzzles, and in the end contributes very little to the story other than a couple small, key bits, and "this part is bizarre for the sake of being bizarre".

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Fran Bow is great except one part of the game in the second third or so that goes on waaaaaaaaaay too long and has a couple of really annoying puzzles, and in the end contributes very little to the story other than a couple small, key bits, and "this part is bizarre for the sake of being bizarre".

Is it tree Fran zone
Because that was absolutely a departure from the rest of the game, yeah

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Nah, it's a fairly terrible port. I assume that's why it's pretty easy to get on PC for a $1 (like it seems to be 2.50 right now at the humble store https://www.humblebundle.com/store/deadly-premonition-the-directors-cut?hmb_source=search_bar), while the 360 version is still anywhere between $10-20 bucks. Or maybe it's something to do with scarcity and physical media...it's a bit difficult to say. But yeah, PC is fairly buggy and I think there's a few fan made patches that made it more viable but PC still might have troubles.
Well, that sucks. 360's are becoming scarce as well as the physical media of DVD's, and I'd certainly like for Deadly Premonition to be an awesome game for everyone. Bayonetta and Vanguard got good ports, and there are a lot of games from the era that should as well.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Poulpe posted:

Is it tree Fran zone
Because that was absolutely a departure from the rest of the game, yeah

Yup. Could have been half the length at least and done just as much for the story.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

indigo prophecy (deadnamed Farenheit) starts off great and i always liked that opening

idk when exactly is the point the game goes completely off the rails. maybe when the protag gets killed? or even earlier when he meets the old lady? or when the black detective meets the ancient chinese sensei? that game is so weird. i do like that you can game over by not having the black detective kiss his girlfriend

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As soon as the glowing bug things show up and you suddenly know king fu so like after an hour or two.
Man that game was the most 'I just watched the Matrix trilogy' thing ever.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I thought it was fine up until Lucas steps foot in the amusement park, then...yeah

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Yardbomb posted:

Indigo Prophecy starts super strong and you're straight up lying if you say there's nothing good to it, it goes downhill real hard and fast, but it still has a really good early game.

Yeah the first 20 minutes of an 8 hour long game are alright.

Then the next 7 hours and 40 minutes are just some of the worst writing in the world. Marvel at racist stereotypes of chinese men while searching the worlds biggest bookstore! Do Matrix QTEs to fight invisible bugs and dodge furniture! See the Aztec AI demons appear from no where! It's trash.

At least Deadly Premonition has something going for it more than half an hour in.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Indigo Prophecy is absolute piss and David Cage is one of the worst writers in games. He always fucks up real bad about half way through by adding nonsensical supernatural poo poo that makes the plot way worse. They never have good gameplay and they always have terrible stories.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Was it David Cage who once said some asinine thing like "if you don't buy my game then you don't care about writing in games" or some poo poo?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Yeah the first 20 minutes of an 8 hour long game are alright.

Then the next 7 hours and 40 minutes are just some of the worst writing in the world. Marvel at racist stereotypes of chinese men while searching the worlds biggest bookstore! Do Matrix QTEs to fight invisible bugs and dodge furniture! See the Aztec AI demons appear from no where! It's trash.

Yeah it owns and everyone should play it

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Indigo Prophecy gets bad, but unlike other Cage games it goes so absurd it becomes funny/interesting to experience so it nearly becomes good again.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

But really I wish someone would revisit that concept where you play as both the killer and the guy(s) after him, and making progress with one person will logically bite you as the other person. That was a very cool idea.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
DID SOMEONE SAY INDIGO PROPHECY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjdODmRD9m4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjJHfjFa1CI

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

But really I wish someone would revisit that concept where you play as both the killer and the guy(s) after him, and making progress with one person will logically bite you as the other person. That was a very cool idea.

Not the same thing, but there was a similar idea iirc with the video game Saw 2, where (big spoilers) you made a choice whether to rescue an unknown stranger or to save yourself at the cost of the stranger's life, then you switch to another character and play through the rest of the game up until that point where it reveals that you've been playing the stranger and that your fate was sealed back at the start of the game based on your decision to try to save that guy's life

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

david cage's writing is genuinely really awful and i don't know why he is still allowed to be involved with making things

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

david cage's writing is genuinely really awful and i don't know why he is still allowed to be involved with making things

He sells millions to idiots like me who keep getting sucked in by weird detective stories before getting poo poo in the eye like reading a serial killer's surface thoughts, none of which reveal his compunction towards killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

al-azad posted:

He sells millions to idiots like me who keep getting sucked in by weird detective stories before getting poo poo in the eye like reading a serial killer's surface thoughts, none of which reveal his compunction towards killing.

The one that got to me was the murder that happened while you were playing as the murderer that you didn't see.