Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Cleretic posted:

Maybe they do, but to my knowledge that's something handled by the state that issued the certificate. I believe Rice and her partner are both Victorian natives, so it doesn't help them.

Right, that makes sense. The entire system is hosed and confusing which is yet another argument in favour of having a genderless definition of marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Cleretic posted:

Maybe they do, but to my knowledge that's something handled by the state that issued the certificate. I believe Rice and her partner are both Victorian natives, so it doesn't help them.
That's correct, you have to apply to the state you were born in to change the gender on your birth cert and their legislation in this regard applies.

This is one of the few areas where I'm glad to have been born in South Australia, who also changed their laws this year so you only actually need a psychologists write off after three sessions to change the gender on your birth cert.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Why does freedom of speech attract so many nasty people?

NPR Podcast "The Hidden Brain" discusses this very thing, was really interesting and well worth a listen for the biases in when freedom of speech is applied.

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/04/548471325/how-president-trumps-rhetoric-is-changing-the-way-americans-talk

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Why does freedom of speech attract so many nasty people?

They don't see it as the freedom to criticise the government/king/dominant religion or whatever without legal repercussions but as the freedom to say horrible things they don't like without legal repercussions. They get rightfully shamed for saying some repugnant poo poo and instead of taking it on board, they lash out against it because their right to say those things is surely more important than the right of others not to be bullied.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Is Amazon going to crash the retailers' Christmas party?
By business reporter, Stephen Letts

As if retailers weren't having a tough enough time already, now it looks likely the global giant Amazon is going to crash their Christmas party.

All the signs are Amazon could mobilise its Australian operations in the next 60 days, perhaps even as early next month, according to Citi retail analyst Brian Raymond.

"Buying terms have been set and first orders have been placed with suppliers in recent weeks," Mr Raymond said.

Amazon has also already announced it has secured a large fulfillment centre — a digital term for packaging warehouse — on the outskirts of Melbourne and staff recruitment has started.

A decision has yet to be made on a larger distribution centre in Sydney, but it is doubtful it would be up and running before the Christmas rush.

"Launch timing remains uncertain and subject to website and logistics testing, but we would expect a formal launch to occur sometime in October, ahead of Black Friday on 24 November," Mr Raymond wrote in a research note to clients.

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving and is regarded as the start of the pre-Christmas consumer binge in the US, a one-day, discount-fuelled buying frenzy.

Mr Raymond said Amazon was unlikely to have its full sales arsenal available in Australia immediately and therefore would compete aggressively on price alone.

"Amazon will not have a meaningful advantage in two of their three key pillars in the short term — range and delivery, which will evolve over time," he said.

"As a result, we expect prices to be competitive in order to drive volume."

That margin crunching approach will do nothing to lift the festive spirits of local retailers affected by a customer base weighed down by low wage growth, high debt and shrinking savings.
Amazon's Australian retail raid

The most recent retail figures showed sales largely stalled in July and went backwards in a number of states including New South Wales, South Australia and Tasmania.

Department stores, the sector most likely to be immediately and seriously impacted by Amazon, resumed their downward march, with sales declining 1.6 per cent in July, the tenth monthly fall in the past year.

Mr Raymond said the worry for the bricks-and-mortar retailers would be Amazon's strategy of matching or being the lowest price in the market at all times.

"This could spark a response from incumbent retailers who are intent on not being beaten by Amazon on price during the key pre-Christmas sales event," he said.

On Citi's figures, the sales impact in the three months leading up to New Years Day could be in the order of $200 million — or roughly 0.2 per cent of total Australian retail sales — with the bulk of the damage done by price competition, rather than the loss of market share.

As the initial target is likely to be the gift market, Citi argued the retailers likely to be hit first were department stores and those selling electronics, leisure goods, clothing and footwear.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-08/amazon-to-crash-australian-retail-christmas-party/8885062

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 8, 2017

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

All of these speculative articles citing "analysts", without anything concrete behind them, amount to little more than PR for Amazon.

Amazon do not have any real estate in Australia, and they haven't announced any dates. They are simply seeding the media with little hints to pump up hype and brand awareness.

Jeff Bezos is a piece of poo poo robber baron who should be guillotined, btw.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cant wait to hear Gerry Harveys hot take on this one.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Amethyst posted:

Amazon do not have any real estate in Australia

Article literally mentions the real estate they've already gotten in Dandenong South's Pellicano’s M2 Industry Park for their fulfillment centre that they announced a few weeks ago ? Like, am I missing something?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

Cant wait to hear Gerry Harveys hot take on this one.

My mate who's a HN franchisee is outwardly laughing off the threat.

This should be interesting, whatever happens.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

iajanus posted:

Article literally mentions the real estate they've already gotten in Dandenong South's Pellicano’s M2 Industry Park for their fulfillment centre that they announced a few weeks ago ? Like, am I missing something?

Oh whoops. Carry on then.

I still think the media play into their PR game thoughtlessly

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Oh whoops. Carry on then.

I still think the media play into their PR game thoughtlessly

Oh they do, it's hilarious to watch. Our media is so transparently easy to play most of the time its more scary to think there are people who get taken in by the headlines.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Pwnstar posted:

They don't see it as the freedom to criticise the government/king/dominant religion or whatever without legal repercussions but as the freedom to say horrible things they don't like without legal repercussions. They get rightfully shamed for saying some repugnant poo poo and instead of taking it on board, they lash out against it because their right to say those things is surely more important than the right of others not to be bullied.

In addition, the right is practiced in using the phrase disingenuously. The online extreme right are well-used to using idiot or disinterested 'centrists' to defend their 'free speech'.

I'm not quite sure why free speech is important but golly it appears the left don't even want a civil debate about The Jewish Question

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Laserface posted:

Can we just change the constitution from "freedom of religion" to "freedom from religion"?

it seems like that solves literally all problems.

How about :

"You can believe whatever you want, but you can't do whatever you want. What you can do is defined by law, which applies to all equally."

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-08/marriage-survey-votes-up-for-auction/8886406

quote:

Same-sex marriage postal survey vote put up for auction on eBay

How much is a vote on same-sex marriage worth?
An Australian has offered to sell their survey at a starting price of $1,500 on eBay.
The seller said they had no desire to fill out the form and would donate some of the money to charity.
"What is this plebiscite worth to you. The reason I'm selling my vote is because either way I don't care but thought there are people who do," they wrote on the auction site.
I don't care either way because it doesn't effect me personally, but I may be able to profit off selling people's rights

quote:

In a sign the Australian Bureau of Statistics is concerned about people selling the survey, it has been in discussions with online sites, including eBay, Facebook, Amazon, Alibaba and Gumtree.
"To date, eBay and Facebook have confirmed listing survey forms or survey responses for sale would not comply with their policies and they will block and remove any such listings," an ABS spokesman said in a statement.
The ABC contacted the seller to try and verify the post but was yet to receive a response.
An eBay spokeswoman confirmed the listing had been removed.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

At this rate photocopying the survey and submitting it 50 000 times sounds like a valid strategy

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I wonder how many people would vote yes if there were a big social media push about the posters/flyers urging Chinese Australians to vote no.

Would racism win over sexism?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SuddenCactus posted:

I wonder how many people would vote yes if there were a big social media push about the posters/flyers urging Chinese Australians to vote no.

*ACA scare music plays over intentionally grey and grainy footage of Manus refugees*

THESE PEOPLE wanted to INVADE Australia to support the SSM No vote...

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Pedophile Chinese Muslim dodgy builders who want to change the date of Australia Day don't support True Aussie Mateship. Be a Mate, vote Yes.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
You know going back and talking about exactly how loving gay convicts and early settlers were might actually work.

Because they were really fuckign.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You know going back and talking about exactly how loving gay convicts and early settlers were might actually work.

I mean I wouldn't be surprised if half of them were thrown on the boats after being caught balls deep in each other to begin with.
:gooncamp:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

SuddenCactus posted:

Isn't this pretty much the ethos of western European right wing parties? ("immigrants will behead gays in the street")

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Isn't this pretty much the ethos of western European right wing parties? ("immigrants will behead gays in the street")

That article about conservative Muslims not saying anti-ssm stuff because they're worried about being perceived as extremists was great and I wish conservative Christians would do the same, but, despite all the whinging they do about religious persecution they know theyre in no danger of being the one's pogromed.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

According to Babette Smith, this charge was used by the anti-transportation movement in the 1850's, and she couldn't find any real basis for that argument. ABC has still left this podcast up, at about 31:08, she talks to Phil Adams about her book Australia's Birthstain. It's a terrific read as is her earlier A Cargo Of Women. I didn't know they had deliberately destroyed convict records, for instance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Has anyone ever had a real go at advancing a lawsuit about the marriage act being unconstitutional because it prohibits the free exercise of religion by their church which happens to believe in free marriage?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh goddamnit the new Mad as Hell season is already over?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Amethyst posted:

All of these speculative articles citing "analysts", without anything concrete behind them, amount to little more than PR for Amazon.

Amazon do not have any real estate in Australia, and they haven't announced any dates. They are simply seeding the media with little hints to pump up hype and brand awareness.

Jeff Bezos is a piece of poo poo robber baron who should be guillotined, btw.

They bought what I've been told is a former Bunnings distribution center near where I work. Place is huge.

The industry I work in has a large number of small, independent retail outlets with a small number of buying groups of varying size and influence; most stores are run by some old coot who doesn't know to use emails and complain bitterly when the invoice falls off their carton and the girl who does the emails isn't in for 3 days so they can't access the electronic copy we sent them which means they can't price their goods because why base your prices on what competitors are doing when you can just slap a 40% markup across the board? Very few have a decent online presence and even less know much about SEO, ecommerce and so on. The rest complain bitterly about customers price matching them against the online stores and do nothing about the situation.

There's going to be a pretty big shake-up for us I imagine, and a lot of the smaller guys are going to be turbo hosed.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ewe2 posted:

According to Babette Smith, this charge was used by the anti-transportation movement in the 1850's, and she couldn't find any real basis for that argument. ABC has still left this podcast up, at about 31:08, she talks to Phil Adams about her book Australia's Birthstain. It's a terrific read as is her earlier A Cargo Of Women. I didn't know they had deliberately destroyed convict records, for instance.

Interesting, Frank Bongiorno talked about it a lot in Sex Lives of Australians. I don't know if he was putting too much emphasis on how easy it was to hide, or what. He said they were often charged with indecent exposure, because proving unnatural crimes was too difficult. He also suggests that the stereotype that Chinese diggers were sodomites was a self-conscious reaction to convict's and settler's pasts.

And Sex Lives was published after that podcast, so I'd imagine he'd have to have read her work.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 8, 2017

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
If you want to make the next few weeks slightly less dogshit for LGBTQI people, cool and good website Croakey is currently double-matching donations to the organisations they've listed here, meaning that a $10 donation to one of these groups will becomes a $30 donation.

quote:

With the High Court of Australia clearing the way for the Marriage Equality Postal Survey to go ahead, we can expect divisive campaigning from the ‘No’ side to ratchet up in the coming weeks, with LGBTQI+ youth & families firmly in their sights.

The Australian Christian Lobby-led opposition has very clearly signaled that they don’t wish to have this debate on the actual question of two consenting adults being allowed to wed. Instead, they are keen to make this a vitriolic, gloves-off referendum on the children of such couples and on young people questioning their gender and sexuality.

While we can’t do anything to stop this debate, we can support organisations working at the frontlines with LGBTQI+ kids and families during the next few months.

Three generous benefactors have each agreed to match all donations up to $10,000 to any of the groups below, meaning your donation will be supercharged. The more you give, the more they give, the more we spread the love.

While by no means an exhaustive list, these are some of the major groups working directly to support the LGBTQI+ community, particularly young people and their families.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Meanwhile on gumtree:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Meanwhile on gumtree:

That's OK, this can be worked with, set goals for future success

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Oh goddamnit the new Mad as Hell season is already over?

Gotta use that ABC time and funding for more bad british documentaries and shows with the word "sex" in the title.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

gay picnic defence posted:

There's going to be a pretty big shake-up for us I imagine, and a lot of the smaller guys are going to be turbo hosed.
In my industry a bunch of distributors are putting in no selling via Amazon (and other online resellers) clauses into their supply agreements. Interesting times.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Cartoon posted:

In my industry a bunch of distributors are putting in no selling via Amazon (and other online resellers) clauses into their supply agreements. Interesting times.

Watch as Australian manufacturing becomes completely extinct, due to rent seeking pig fuckers refusing to innovate.

Any one of these stores could have gotten their own online presence up to a competitive level by now. Kogan have done pretty well out of it.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I have no sympathy for middlemen that aren't as good at middlemanning as the other guy.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cartoon posted:

is that even legal?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

is that even legal?

If it is I've got ten bucks on it being coles and woolies who lobbied to make it legal at some point

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

TONIGHT: Has feminism got in the way of safety? Plus a Victorian MP on finding her husband’s child porn. Live at 7pm on @TheBoltReport

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

is that even legal?

Yes*

*unless it "substantially reduces" competition https://www.accc.gov.au/business/anti-competitive-behaviour/exclusive-dealing

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

What the hell is "freedom of parental choice?" This Liberal on Lateline has namedropped it twice and I haven't heard of this talking point yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Vaccinations maybe?

• Locked thread