Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the reason why moma hasn't refunded is that he's a loving CIG employee and probably didn't pay a drat cent for anything he has and why do you all keep engaging with him like he's going to ever honestly engage with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I'm not talking to him, I'm talking about him.

But since you insist, MOMA please make a 10 min video of your favorite moments playing SC.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Milky Moor posted:

the reason why moma hasn't refunded is that he's a loving CIG employee and probably didn't pay a drat cent for anything he has and why do you all keep engaging with him like he's going to ever honestly engage with you
If I was a CIg employee I would start selling the ships I was saving for retirement. I don't think the IRS would take a loss of a fleet of Hornets as a legitimate write-off.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I kinda feel for Derek in regards to the "Well where's the ELE?" taunts because actual extinctions are often slow, drawn out processes where the population of whatever is going extinct generally just fades away. The ELE is more like the tipping point period where afterwards nothing could be done to salvage the project and everything afterwards just stretches the demise out (or hastens it). You can ask when the ELE is, but the truth is probably closer to it being when the ELE was. It's arguably already happened and at this point there's nothing to wait for but the death of the project.
Some backers will see otherwise but there was surely a time when CIG/RSI management could have identified their path of development was failing and rectified their poor practices but neglected to do so because the existence of whale money pouring in made them consider themselves on track or at least protected from the potential perils of failure. The ELE by Derek's standards might be different to what I'm saying due to what he knows, but clearly there was a point when they should have sat down and reconsidered their options and been financially capable of shouldering that burden, but instead went back to recording more expensive mocap sequences and producing small bite-sized morsels of barely functioning game to appease the backers who think they're still working hard at making something. Now there is no going back because they lack the skill and finances to do it.

TheAgent's stuff about Chris going on another vacation (if true and hey I'm willing to believe it more than MOMA's sources) suggests that this inevitable extinction is becoming so obvious within the company that actively avoiding the office was necessary to sustain the illusion of success to one man's personal pride, wounded as it was after the Gamescom debacle.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Sandweed posted:

I'm not talking to him, I'm talking about him.

But since you insist, MOMA please make a 10 min video of your favorite moments playing SC.
Here is 60 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VQmNIi04Hg

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Justin "Money" Chambers is doing his magic.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Reminder that they film this at least a day in advance, and they still gently caress it up each and every time

Quality through and through, thanks for the money !

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ZenMaster posted:

Finally found the perfect gif for Star Citizen:

Should I be worried that I know where this is from?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Stay safe folks in hurricaneland.

Beet, please ensure Kayak's safety. I've been sending pictures of him to my parents (included in my calling them) and they are very fond of Kayak.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

This was the most reasonable and poignant response in many pages of this thread, which is why I chose to respond to it.

I'm not getting a refund. I'll ride this out to the end and if I lose my money, so be it. I'll be honest - I don't check-in to the project as often as some of you will believe. My primary day job and personal life take a good chunk of my time and I enjoy doing things away from the computer. That said, my initial claim of "disposable income" obviously hit some bleeding hearts in this thread direct-center (oh well). I threw money in I could afford to lose. But, the fact that you have nut jobs like Derek who, as a middle-aged man is not absolutely resolute in his being to let something like a quasi, poorly-manged project flail about to find footing without interjecting his own lovely opinions speaks volumes. He still doesn't get that he's a target of poking-fun, which is all cool and good. But no one here is going to be vindicated until we see the project through.

You gave money to someone that constantly, over a period of years, lied to you. You don't check on Star Citizen much now because it hurts to think about it. Chris Roberts would love you, you've already justified losing the money as you could afford it, this means you don't intend to do anything about the deception used to get your money and further indicates you'll let him get away with it.

I got scammed out of £50 by a guy in 1992, I was dumb as hell and trusted a guy I'd just met that I thought was the cousin of a friend, I treated it as a life lesson and decided not to let it happen again. How you treat this lesson is up to you but I wouldn't ignore it, CIG have your pledge level and your email address, when CIG folds someone is going to make money from selling those, easy mark, email addresses. Also if your source for what's happening is a CIG developer on facebook you should consider that anyone still working there in 2017 doesn't make good decisions either.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Tippis posted:

Should I be worried that I know where this is from?

You gotta help me out here, I recognize it and it's driving me insane. Where's it from?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hey MOMA, if you don't give a poo poo about your 3k remaining, could you refund your ships and send that cash my way? I can think of a few things I would do with the money.

I once tried this logic with a co-worker who used to go to a bar after shift and feed 20s into the Video Lottery Terminal. I even offered to periodically make exciting noises and give some back. He never took me up on it.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Sandweed posted:

That's setting the bar awfully high. Editing video can be a total pain in the rear end, and it's probably not something a lot people enjoy doing with their free time, even if they actually enjoy playing Star Citizen.

So instead of asking anyone for a video, maybe just ask for ten sentences describing what is actually fun about playing SC as it currently exists. Not even ten separate things that are fun about Star Citizen, just ten sentences describing what they've had a good time doing in it -- i.e., no dreams, no theorycrafting, no things that "look promising," and no things that "they've said will be improved in the future," just actual fun experiences they've had playing the game.

In this particular case, we all know MoMA's capable of dashing off ten competent sentences in no time at all, so all he'd have to do is think of the fun things he's done in Star Citizen or its associated "game modules," and most of his work would already be done.

I suspect finding any fun things to write about will be the problem, though; as far as I can see, there's nothing Star Citizen offers to players right now that isn't done much, much better by at least a half-dozen other games, none of which ask for thousands of dollars or demand unlimited patience. If there's something entertaining about SC for anyone besides its long list of promises that never seem to materialize, it'd be interesting to hear about it: I don't know that it would ever be worth thousands, but it'd be worth something.

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Why is the entire cargo hold full with crates of Krogan Krackers?
its still probable that star citizen gets finished and turns out to be good but its kind of like that scene in dumb and dumber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sandi is to acting what Chris is to game development.

Hey now.

Chris isn't that bad at game development.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

AlmightyPants posted:

Stay safe folks in hurricaneland.

Beet, please ensure Kayak's safety. I've been sending pictures of him to my parents (included in my calling them) and they are very fond of Kayak.

:same:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sandi is to acting what Chris is to game development.

Nahhh, Chris has developed games.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

How much do you want to bet that the next ship from CIG is called the RSI Hurricane.

Would be classic (albeit a bit tasteless) if it was a massive DPS ship

Mne nravitsya fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 8, 2017

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mne nravitsya posted:

How much do you want to bet that the next ship from CIG is called the RSI Hurricane.

Would be classic (albeit a bit tasteless) if it was a massive DPS ship

They already have the Anvil Hurricane.

E: and yes, it seems to be a damage dealer...definitely punshes above it's weight

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Nahhh, Chris has developed games.

Chris has been forced out, and other people have had to come in and fix he's messes to push out what they can that some what resembled a game.

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

its kind of funny since if chris really did go on vacation it looks like they are actually fixing bugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdS8q2_d76o

all the jump cuts are insane and really annoying stop that cig. i counted 17 jump cuts in 1 minute and its a 40 minute video. very nauseating

StarbloodKiss fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 8, 2017

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Maybe Star Citizen's greatest bug is Chris.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I got scammed once when I was 18 (and didn't get a refund). I was trying to put together a little touch screen computer for my car. This was back in 2002 when they weren't quite so ubiquitous and I was building my own. I lost an eBay bid on a perfect little touch screen and then the seller contacted me afterward saying he'd sell me a second one, just send money order to xxx. Well I was stupid and I sent it, and lost three hundred dollars.

What I didn't do was go get on a touch screen enthusiast forum and spend the next two years angrily defending the guy who scammed me, insisting that he was going to come through and even if he didn't who cares haha I'm not a dumb rear end you're all stupid for doubting him unless you're right in which case you're all stupid for spending so much time arguing with me trying to tell me I'm wrong so EITHER WAY I AM RIGHT :smug:

Sometimes it's important to accept you were wrong. That's how you get less wrong in the future.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

StarbloodKiss posted:

it looks like they are actually fixing bugs

It looks like they are talking about fixing bugs.

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Crazypoops posted:

It looks like they are talking about fixing bugs.

i thought the bug tracker showed a down tick in bugs, the spike that came after gamesconn or just before chris went on his vacation

also all these animations for stamina is going to make star citizen impossible to play with VR unless you have motion sickness fortitude++

StarbloodKiss fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 8, 2017

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

toanoradian posted:

Maybe Star Citizen's greatest bug is Chris.

Chris' Lemming

BTW: I just realized the blocker lemming also t-poses...

tuo fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 8, 2017

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

I got scammed once when I was 18 (and didn't get a refund). I was trying to put together a little touch screen computer for my car. This was back in 2002 when they weren't quite so ubiquitous and I was building my own. I lost an eBay bid on a perfect little touch screen and then the seller contacted me afterward saying he'd sell me a second one, just send money order to xxx. Well I was stupid and I sent it, and lost three hundred dollars.

What I didn't do was go get on a touch screen enthusiast forum and spend the next two years angrily defending the guy who scammed me, insisting that he was going to come through and even if he didn't who cares haha I'm not a dumb rear end you're all stupid for doubting him unless you're right in which case you're all stupid for spending so much time arguing with me trying to tell me I'm wrong so EITHER WAY I AM RIGHT :smug:

Sometimes it's important to accept you were wrong. That's how you get less wrong in the future.

What you did do was go to Star Citizen and buy in

Then get a refund

Then buy in again

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

The Titanic posted:

He's just jealous he can't catch up to me yet with the thousands of cartoons I white star in.

Here's me taking my cartoon cat for a walk for example:

I see what you did there! :cheeky:

Yay, the trend line is going up! Predicted date of release: NaN :woop:

[Edit] :lol::lol::lol: that thread name.

Nanako the Narc fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 8, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Has someone put together a linkable list to the worst reddit Citizens accounts? I figure there's a strong possibility that the mod of r/dereksmart might decide to delete it shortly.

Basically archive anything there you want to keep, now.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Milky Moor posted:

The reason folks are still keeping and throwing large amounts of money in the CIG coffers is because the narrative driving the marketing is idealogical at every level.

Self publishing vs evil greedy publishers

Arbitrary dates means cut features vs no dates means all the features

Naysayers say it can't be done vs heroic devs knowing it can be done

Old, stagnant blind games industry vs young, upcoming independent and highly funded team

Derek the villain vs Chris the hero saving PC gaming

Chris describing other games doing it wrong vs Star Citizen doing it right

PC gaming's fall from grace vs Star Citizen's journey of the hero

Classic archetypes as employed by Holywood writers and successful authors since forever, ka-ching here's your millions of dollars.

All criticism feeds into the ongoing narrative and has its archetypal place, triggering the counter narrative as a programmed and deeply held idealogical belief.

It's sheer genius if you ask me, and it's straight outta Holywood.

Anyone who expected to make or receive a game is long gone, the remaining narrative structure has crystallised and all the players know their roles. Buy a pre-order and become a hero.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

AP posted:

Has someone put together a linkable list to the worst reddit Citizens accounts? I figure there's a strong possibility that the mod of r/dereksmart might decide to delete it shortly.

Basically archive anything there you want to keep, now.

:thunk:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Who archives the archivers?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I mean, unless you have skin in the game, you bitching about what idiots do with their money and then subsequently whine about it on other chat medium is categorically dumb.

£73m in Video Games Tax Relief paid in 2016/17, latest figures show

quote:

The latest figures from HMRC, released this morning, show that £73m in Video Games Tax Relief was paid out relating to 280 claims in 2016/17. This represents a 60% increase in payments from 2015/16 (£45.5m) and a 115% increase in claims (up from 130). These figures bring the total relief paid out since the relief's introduction in April 2014 to £119m, relating to 420 claims.

The report also shows that 90 video games that claimed VGTR were completed in 2016-17, with UK expenditure of £163 million. A total of 295 video game productions have to claimed the relief to date, supporting over £690 million of UK expenditure.

Since April 2014, 835 games have applied for certification of which 400 have been granted final certification and 375 granted an interim certificate. These 775 qualifying games account for a total expenditure of £1.6 billion of UK expenditure, which accounts for 83% of their total expenditure (£1.9bn). In 2016/17, there were 225 qualifying video games, with £449 million UK expenditure and £549 million total expenditure..

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

loving LOL

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The Leaning Tower of Pisa has been on the verge of collapse for a couple of centuries. Poor Galileo never got to publish the blog where he called it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the grown rear end man who cried wulf

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Why the gently caress is Derek still tweeting about Star Citizen instead of fleeing for his life in his Tesla?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mangoose posted:

You gotta help me out here, I recognize it and it's driving me insane. Where's it from?

Killing American Style — you may have come across it on Best of the Worst.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I once was scammed by paying10E to have the right to post on a lovely forum. I learnt my hard life lesson and it served me well, now I avoid this little place of the internet like a plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legion989
Jan 18, 2013
Whatever happened to Dick Wulf? Never see his insane posting around anymore.