Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Speaking of Kairi, interesting fact. Apparently she designs all of her gear herself.

https://twitter.com/KairiSaneWWE/status/905830768865370112

Which I guess ties into this (warning spoilers beyond that link).

Bonus: Have another Mandy Leon gif.

I don't know whats funnier in that gif. Mandy botching that spot, or Io very obviously not giving a gently caress.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

I wouldn't. Kairi would probably be over even without the pirate gimmick (she's a super likable babyface, and she knows how to pander/appeal to people), and I don't see her coming up for a long while. Earliest I can see her being called up is the Smackdown or RAW following Wrestlemania next year.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Plus she seems super affable so I can hardly imagine fans not connecting with her and management not liking her (at least in the hosed up way WWE Management likes people).

So was Bayley, and she speaks fluent english.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

C. Everett Koop posted:

So was Bayley, and she speaks fluent english.

I think the difference b/w Kairi and Bayley is that Kairi has significantly more in ring charisma than Bayley.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Candice also designs and makes all her gear. That woman can do it all.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Finished Round 2 and man it's a leap up from the 1st- it seems like either they had some people in the first who were still green or they were still feeling things out for some reason, but the matches are generally a lot more engaging.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DM Punk posted:

Candice also designs and makes all her gear. That woman can do it all.

did you know she's a baker? Not sure if they mentioned that during the MYC or not

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Baron Corbyn posted:

did you know she's a baker? Not sure if they mentioned that during the MYC or not

Kairi is a Yacht Enthusiast!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DarkstarIV posted:

I think the difference b/w Kairi and Bayley is that Kairi has significantly more in ring charisma than Bayley.

I don't think this is as much of a knock on Bayley as you might think it is. Anyway, if Kairi got the booking Bayley got, she would die a painful death. gently caress, if ASUKA got the same booking she'd be hosed. Double gently caress, if OKADA got it he would become Always Bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but those are good wrestlers so they wouldn't book them that way.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but those are good wrestlers so they wouldn't book them that way.

You're lucky rovert platonically broke up with Becky Lynch, or you'd have a long-rear end confrontation with him and his post-ironic followers.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Dias posted:

You're lucky rovert platonically broke up with Becky Lynch, or you'd have a long-rear end confrontation with him and his post-ironic followers.

What's this now?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

rovert posted:

What's this now?

It's a joke, rovert, about Becky being a good wrestler and you posting a lot about her back in the day. It's fine.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Dias posted:

It's a joke, rovert, about Becky being a good wrestler and you posting a lot about her back in the day. It's fine.

There's not much to post about anymore.

She was in this all time bad segment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IFRWGOONrg

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

rovert posted:

There's not much to post about anymore.

She was in this all time bad segment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IFRWGOONrg

Yeah, she's getting gently caress all, which is kinda my point there too. WWE is a sinkhole if you wanna play a straight babyface. gently caress, from what I see in PSP maybe they're right and wrestling fans hate white meat babyfaces.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I wish Becky was the Champion, she's really good.

Asuka using the Disarmer and smirking over at her during the last Takeover is hopefully the sign of something to come.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Smackdown doesn't have time to do anything outside the title with their women's division with the 17 whole minutes of wrestling they have each week.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Big picture wise Becky will be a bigger factor going forward than Bayley between now and Wrestlemania. More a reflection on Vince's current thoughts on Bayley than Becky. Wish I could talk more about what I know about the Horsewoman stuff without being annoying and sounding wrong when plans inevitably change. But I don't think Vince views Bayley as "worthy" of being in the angle.

The stuff at the MYC was all done in the moment without any real long term direction being discussed.

Edit: Meltzer keeps speculating there's a Survivor Series match playing off the angle but re-asking tonight it is a match for Wrestlemania not Survivor Series.

rovert fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 8, 2017

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
You got a link or something?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

astrollinthepork posted:

You got a link or something?

My Twitter? I broke the news that Rousey would be at the MYC, she was training to wrestle and have posted endless amount of stories here.

You are free to not believe me.

rovert fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 8, 2017

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

With the Mandy Rose/Io gif, was Mandy supposed to jump higher? I'm trying to figure out what they were trying to do there.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

rovert posted:

Big picture wise Becky will be a bigger factor going forward than Bayley between now and Wrestlemania. More a reflection on Vince's current thoughts on Bayley than Becky. Wish I could talk more about what I know about the Horsewoman stuff without being annoying and sounding wrong when plans inevitably change. But I don't think Vince views Bayley as "worthy" of being in the angle.

The stuff at the MYC was all done in the moment without any real long term direction being discussed.

Edit: Meltzer keeps speculating there's a Survivor Series match playing off the angle but re-asking tonight it is a match for Wrestlemania not Survivor Series.

I mean, doing a 4 v 4 for Survivor Series would make the most sense in terms of wrestling and also keep anyone of the mma girls from being too exposed in the ring. But from a financial standpoint doing the whole Rousey thing at Mania makes more sense.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

DarkstarIV posted:

Like legit, the worst thing I've heard about Kairi is that she...is dating someone??? And the only people who are mad about that are absolute shut-ins who hate that she isn't pure. :psyduck:

So in short, I don't think she has any skeletons in her closet, or she does a drat good job of hiding them.

My only concern is that Shane Thorne is a West Coast Eagles supporter, therefore enthusiasm for crystal meth.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

TV Zombie posted:

With the Mandy Rose/Io gif, was Mandy supposed to jump higher? I'm trying to figure out what they were trying to do there.
she also fell sideways to a stationary target

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
If that like two minute segment of six women challenging each other to a fight was "all-time bad" then good god what did you think of Diva's Revolution and I WISH YOU DIED IN THE WOMB

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No idea if Scoops McRovert's sources would know, but how does Vince reconcile how over Bayley was in NXT and at her Raw debut with what's happened? I assume he won't make the connection between the booking and her current situation, but like, what else is there? Just generic "oh, she can't cut it on the big stage" excuses?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

MrBling posted:

Someone needs to sit Piper Niven down with some tapes of of Aja Kong, Bull Nakano and Vader so she can learn how to properly carry herself as a monster wrestler.
Nothing she does has any real impact to it and everything just looks so tentative.

Yeah. Like her match with Toni was super fun, but seeing the big wrestler do the same thing as the smaller wrestlers....but slightly gracefully makes the whole thing less special. There was a great bit by Bryan Alvarez talking about him having a match vs. a giant guy, near 7 feet tall. He looked back on it, where he suplexed the guy multiple times, threw him around in various others ways, and was just embarrassed they'd been that stupid.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Lacey inarguably has a terrible gimmick, but I thought Toni was trying way too hard as well.

Aphrodite posted:

It's another one that's more of a look than a gimmick. Her character is still just "I'm a mom and ex marine and I'm tough" except she dresses like Peggy Carter.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think the fact that they push the whole "AMERICA TROOPS MOM USA" thing so hard makes it kinda backfire.

She was a marine! That's why she dresses like a retro pinup and wrestlers with no character or military mannerisms! She brings no character, gimmick of personality to the ring. She seems like an incredibly bland wrestler who they have a weird liking for, like any time they say "THE ATHLETICISM" about somebody who's a pretty generically boring wrestler. Plus they talk about her real history too much, especially when I think she's supposed to be a heel? See that also, she's too bland to have an allegiance.

dsriggs posted:

Actually, JR is goo-
https://twitter.com/JRsBBQ/status/905229178882187265

gently caress sake Jim :eng99:

I both completely agree that it's a marketing concern, but learning how to delicately say it should be part of your job as talent relations. Why was he never taught code for it? Oh right, WWE.

TheHock posted:

- A little sad that the Jazzy/Abbey match didn't come off as well on tape either. The crowd was super low energy, but when Abbey fired up the crowd really woke up, and as sloppy as that match was at times, it was a lot of fun. Jazzy got an even bigger reaction during a tag match on the second day, leading to huge "Please sign Jazzy" chants during and after the match. Triple H came out for a promo during this and shamed the crowd for making him spend so much money signing cruiserweights.
- I liked Shayna a lot going into the show, but her style doesn't really transfer over to a televised product very well. I think if she was given the right people to work with and TV presentation as this MMA killer, she could get over in WWE though. I'm more interested in seeing her against any of the WWE Horsewomen than Rhonda.

I really wish that Jazzy/Abbey they just went off the crowd reaction, and had the capacity to say 'gently caress it' and just do a 5 minute sprint of fighting spirit. I get why WWE doesn't want their workers to do that, but I also think it's an example of why people love the Indy style and don't like WWE's feeling. I mean it's probably the only company in the world that can have so many bland Kevin Owens-AJ Styles matches in a row.

I really don't like Shayna. She looks like an MMA fighter who has completely not transitioned into being a wrestler, and her movements all look stiff and awkward. She looks like a super green rookie, which is worrying as she's now being wrestling on the indies since April 2016.

MrBling posted:

Her striking just looked slow and soft.
Yes, the splashes works but that is mainly a function of gravity.
I want to like her, but she doesn't come off as being as strong as she should.

My stereotype that I've gotten from years of watching is that that's women's wrestling in general. They rarely look like they're trying to commit violence upon each other.

Aphrodite posted:

Abbey Laith, Bianca Belair, Dakota Kai, Kairi Sane, Lacey Evans, Reina Gonzales, Rhea Ripley, Sage Beckett, Sarah Logan, Taynara Conti, Vanessa Borne, Xia Li, and Zeda are all already signed.

Rumors are 3 of the other competitors have been signed so far too.

People don't expect Toni to sign because she's doing really well in the indies right now and is both Stardom and Progress champion.

WWE is stupid and needs to actually pay better if Toni Storm isn't signed. During her match against Sane they told some lies about the comparisons, so let me outline some: Toni is 7 years younger, but has 3 years more experience, is more globally experienced, and I can see her doing better in WWE due to her mix youth, skill, global appeal; and I would easily believe Toni is less injured. I really wanted her to win the whole tournament. Madness if they haven't thrown enough money at her. Or she thinks she can negotiate better in 3 years when she's an even bigger star, and she's being professionally fulfilled outside of WWE. I hope it's not just that I'm an Australian, but drat did I love the 2 Australian women in this tournament.

rovert posted:

I'd date Shane.

Word

Gaz-L posted:

No idea if Scoops McRovert's sources would know, but how does Vince reconcile how over Bayley was in NXT and at her Raw debut with what's happened? I assume he won't make the connection between the booking and her current situation, but like, what else is there? Just generic "oh, she can't cut it on the big stage" excuses?

Always remember to combine that with the classic "you marks don't understand the business". It's astounding to listen that sometimes, like people in WWE who say crappy boring vets are good workers.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 8, 2017

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

TV Zombie posted:

Looks like a back body drop that almost got Sabu'd

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
If I recall, Toni Storm has said in numerous interviews that while she wants to sign with the WWE, its not her goal right now as she feels like there is more to be learned in Japan and other independent circuits before she even thinks about signing with them. She is also STARDOM's biggest foreign talent right now, booking wise.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 8, 2017

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nxt doesn't pay poo poo but it is certainly tougher for women to make themselves a star elsewhere so that the fed actually has to pay a premium and give a corresponding big money push

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Speaking of talent though, WWE is already flying at least one of the MYC finalists out to Las Vegas.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYyUis3lFFq/

Which makes sense, because after Irma hits, things are likely going to be a massive shitshow at the Orlando airport.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Super No Vacancy posted:

nxt doesn't pay poo poo but it is certainly tougher for women to make themselves a star elsewhere so that the fed actually has to pay a premium and give a corresponding big money push

Hold on a second... I though it has been said to be the complete opposite. The women have far more opportunities since they can do modeling or whatever, so they need to be given more money to sign a development contract, where the men are given less because they don't have many opportunities outside of wrestling.

That said, who knows what that means in terms of money. like the difference between a 50K development deal and a 85K deal?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

He thinks she's ugly. Pretty much that. Also tries too hard to be a good wrestler whatever that means.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Astro7x posted:

Hold on a second... I though it has been said to be the complete opposite. The women have far more opportunities since they can do modeling or whatever, so they need to be given more money to sign a development contract, where the men are given less because they don't have many opportunities outside of wrestling.

That said, who knows what that means in terms of money. like the difference between a 50K development deal and a 85K deal?

Nope. Outside of a few exceptions (Japan mostly), women tend to make significantly less than the men do on the independent scene. The exception to that rule is because Japan is really weird and a lot of the joshi there will do modeling/pose for various magazines and gravure, along with getting a decent cut of their merchandise sales. Dave reported Kairi took a huge paycut when she signed her WWE contract (which is apparently $60,000/yr). To put it in perspective, Kairi was making enough money to buy designer brand clothing while in Japan (according to her old blog), and bought a new car when she moved to Florida.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

If I recall, Toni Storm has said in numerous interviews that while she wants to sign with the WWE, its not her goal right now as she feels like there is more to be learned in Japan and other independent circuits before she even thinks about signing with them. She is also STARDOM's biggest foreign talent right now, booking wise.

Toni most likely gets a WWE UK deal. A stipend that gives WWE first refusal on her bookings.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i've been told similar things about Vince and bayley. He is very annoyed that it's not spelled "bailey" and has kept on saying "that's not a good temperature of a name in the first place", which has been confusing most scoops people into not even bothering to report it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Need a good temperature name like Fang McFrost

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wazzu posted:

I both completely agree that it's a marketing concern, but learning how to delicately say it should be part of your job as talent relations. Why was he never taught code for it? Oh right, WWE.

When JR was talent relations that it is how they did things.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Looks like a back body drop that almost got Sabu'd

Looks like a flapjack to me

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

DarkstarIV posted:

Bonus: Have another Mandy Leon gif.

I don't know whats funnier in that gif. Mandy botching that spot, or Io very obviously not giving a gently caress.

How do you botch taking a flapjack :psyduck:

Literally the only thing you have to do is jump and fall on your stomach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Astro7x posted:

I think you are talking about the difference between a Vanessa Borne contract and a Jerome Turner contract; I am talking about the difference between a Ruby Riot contract and a Drew Galloway contract.