Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

If it's in the game, it's in the game. Eating, sleeping, repetitive as gently caress training, yaocho, racism towards outsiders, and blatant henkas. Sign me UP.

:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Also, I'd like it if they gave everyone WWE style entrances while we're at it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Platypus Farm posted:

Also, I'd like it if they gave everyone WWE style entrances while we're at it.

All of the rikishi will have entrances modeled after WWE Superstar Rikishi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L74Ra3YFHw0

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
New banzuke out:

http://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

Nothing super exciting, new dude Asanoyama debutting in Makuuchi.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Looking forward to all the Y/O ranks doing one match and withdrawing and TRUE CHAMPION TOCHINOSHIN winning the whole thing.

But seriously, who are the likely pull-outs? Is Hakuho the only yoko who doesn't look like he's injured right now?

Another side question: I'm noticing Aoiyama and Tochinoshin are both in the same stable. Is that a stable that specializes in foreign wrestlers or did they just happen to end up in the same place?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Here's the Banzuke. There wasn't much surprise, I thought Tochinoshin would get the nod, but I have no problem at all with Tochiozan's promotion, that was a close decision, and they decided to rank Tochinoshin higher than Kotoshogiku. As expected, Aoiyama jumps all the way up to M2. lol, good luck to him. Goeido and Terunofuji are both kadoban.

code:
      East                          Rank                          West
     Hakuho (*)                   Yokozuna                     Harumafuji
   Kisenosato                     Yokozuna                       Kakuryu
    Takayasu                       Ozeki                         Goeido (~)
   Terunofuji (~)                  Ozeki
    Mitakeumi                     Sekiwake                      Yoshikaze (+)
    Tamawashi (-)                 Komosubi                      Tochiozan (+)
   Tochinoshin                       M1                        Kotoshogiku (-)
   Hokutofuji                        M2                          Aoiyama
     Onosho                          M3                        Chiyotairyu
    Shohozan                         M4                            Ura
     Shodai                          M5                         Takakeisho
    Ichinojo                         M6                          Kagayaki
   Chiyonokuni                       M7                           Ikioi
   Chiyoshoma                        M8                         Takarafuji
   Takanoiwa                         M9                          Arawashi
    Ishiura                          M10                         Takakaze
    Daieisho                         M11                         Chiyomaru
   Daishomaru                        M12                         Sadanoumi
   Nishikigi                         M13                         Kaisei (+)
      Endo                           M14                         Okinoumi
   Tokushoryu                        M15                        Yutakayama (+)
   Asanoyama (+)                     M16

Rigel fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 30, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Platypus Farm posted:

Another side question: I'm noticing Aoiyama and Tochinoshin are both in the same stable. Is that a stable that specializes in foreign wrestlers or did they just happen to end up in the same place?

stables are not allowed to recruit a foreigner if they already have one foreign rikishi. There is a soft cap of 1 foreign wrestler per stable. However, when a stable fails and disbands, other stable(s) take in those athletes, and that is how a stable can have more than 1 foreign wrestler.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Yeah, Isegahama has Terunofuji and Haramafuji - Teru came from Magaki when it shut down, with his tsukibito, Shunba and one of the yobidashi, but can't remember which one.

Just looked at the kabu history for Magaki on sumo database and realised that it had become Tokitenku's before he passed and made myself a little sad.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Oh okay, that makes more sense.

Well, I mean it doesn't actually make any SENSE, but...uh well you all know what I mean.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I assume there is probably more pressure on a foreign athlete to perform, since you are taking up your stable's only foreign slot. If you are not doing well, you'll probably get forced out.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Rigel posted:

I assume there is probably more pressure on a foreign athlete to perform, since you are taking up your stable's only foreign slot. If you are not doing well, you'll probably get forced out.

Counterpoint: Orora.

You're right though - a heya's going to be more critical of a potential foreign rikishi than a native one.

Keep in mind Hakuho very nearly wasn't Hakuho cos no-one was keen to take a chance on a skinny Mongolian kid. I vaguely remember reading Miyagino-oyakata had to be sweet talked in to taking him and even that was on the last day or so before his visa expired.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/904149467544170496

The official sumo twitter has a bunch of pics of Naruto-oyakata (the artist formerly known as Kotoosho) training with his dudes, including Torakio. He's also Bulgarian, who's tall and looks like he has some muscle - just needs to get the weight up.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kisenosato and Kakuryu are both kyujo, so we'll begin the tournament with only 2 Yokozuna.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Hakuho is out too, which makes the field wide open.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Konstantin posted:

Hakuho is out too, which makes the field wide open.

Dammit, just coming to report this!

Well, guess its time for an Aoiyama yusho...

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

Dammit, just coming to report this!

Lets go A-Oh

clap clap clapclapclap

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

got some bad news for you

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

This is going to be the first basho without any actual sumo wrestlers participating.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

This is going to be the first basho without any actual sumo wrestlers participating.

Finally, my time to shine!

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

can't wait to see Drunk, Lost Tourist somehow win this basho.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
"We do not have enough rikishi to finish the day's bouts, are there any volunteers from the audience?"

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

WindyMan posted:

"We do not have enough rikishi to finish the day's bouts, are there any volunteers from the audience?"

Give me that diaper you son of a bitch, I'll slap that fat boy!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

WindyMan posted:

*Belch* Hold my beer.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

WindyMan posted:

I once had a dream where I yorikiri'd Hakuho. I got this.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/906674191386021888

...and we're off, starting with the traditional smashing of Hattorizakura.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Elissimpark posted:

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/906674191386021888

...and we're off, starting with the traditional smashing of Hattorizakura.
Jeez, Sumidagawa there has more excessive, textured moob skin than I thought would be possible on a teenager.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Apraxin posted:

Jeez, Sumidagawa there has more excessive, textured moob skin than I thought would be possible on a teenager.

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/904149212308226048

Dude is rocking Aoiyama level moobs.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Dude is rocking Aoiyama level moobs.

Aoiyama has reached God status, and the religion of moobs is one of monotheism.

Day 1 of makuuchi is up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbwb7mpS15w

Feels kind of.. empty up top. But already looking like it'll be anyone's yusho more than originally expected.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I think Harumafuji got this if he's healthy enough to stay till the end.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
It seems like it should be his basho to lose, but it'd be neat if one of the young guys made a run.

Onosho looked good against Mitakeumi. Either of them winning would be cool with me.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maf_lz9siu0

I see dead people everywhere.

Considering Kotoshogiku owns Harumafuji, how hilarious would it be if Geek comes out with a yusho after people expected he'd retire? He and Goeido are the only healthy rikishi at the top right now. Onosho is impressive as hell, but I think he'll lose a few to the vets. But I would not be surprised if he beats Mita-kun to Ozeki at this point.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Aki Basho 2017 - Last Man Standing Wins! :getin:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's open, but it'll make the next one an entertaining clusterfuck. There's a few out of position guys who could sneak their way into yusho contention just from being ranked lower than they should be, but only if Harumafuji screws up. He should be aiming for 15-0

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

It's open, but it'll make the next one an entertaining clusterfuck. There's a few out of position guys who could sneak their way into yusho contention just from being ranked lower than they should be, but only if Harumafuji screws up. He should be aiming for 15-0

I'm so used to Kotoshogiku going against the Y/O at the end of the basho, but now that he's M1 he's actually going against Harumafuji tomorrow. He's the only one with a winnning record against Harumafuji, so tomorrow could be critical in the end.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo

RIP everyone

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

WindyMan posted:

Prescient.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Takayasu and Ura are out for sure now. Takayasu's injury turned out to be just a muscle pull, so he'll very likely be training well before the next basho. Ura re-aggravated his knee injury, so who knows. I wonder if we're going to see some kind of record set for lowest maegashira pitted against a yokozuna by the time this thing is over. Harumafuji can't go against Terunofuji since they're both Isegahama, so he'll go against a maximum of 1 opponent (Goeido) from the Y/O ranks. He'll face someone from M7 at the very least, if not lower.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I cannot believe how much of a blood bath this basho has been. My poor golden boy Ura really shouldn't have competed. I hope he's able to actually fix things up. Onosho is on fire right now – he's aggressive, and he has good follow-through. The commentators were saying he's the first rikishi since Hakuho to take double-digits in his first 2 makuuchi basho, and he's looking really good at Aki so far as well. I'm really stoked to see where he goes in the next 6 months.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 12, 2017

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

For some reason, I thought Onosho was another of the up-and-coming university rikishi, but he's not.

I watched a few of his previous basho matches because I haven't really paid him any attention, but he's pretty fast and strong.

I agree with Kenning - it'll be interesting to see where he goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Stayed up late last night to watch day 3 live. It was a pretty crazy and controversial day.