Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The only time I've had to worry about the charge in my s2 in the three or four months I've had it was when I didn't go home for two days, I think I managed to get it down to 17%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
How does the Woven Nylon band hold up for exercising?

I have an Apple Watch with Sports Band, but I was gifted an engraved one with a woven Nylon band. Can't seem a point in keeping two watches, obviously.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Small White Dragon posted:

I have an Apple Watch with Sports Band, but I was gifted an engraved one with a woven Nylon band. Can't seem a point in keeping two watches, obviously.

The official nylon band is my fav for daily wear, but AliExpress knockoff sport bands are less than $5. Just pick up a few for exercise and swimming.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The nylon band soaks sweat p easy--i do not recommend wearing it during exercise unless you want to wash it afterward, which you can easily do with mild soap.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Good and bad -- it's a tight weave and pretty well made, but constantly sweating into it stains it pretty quickly depending on the color. It's safe to wash with soap & water, though. Mine was filthy and a wash had it 95% good as new.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I have most of the watch bands and my most used is the leather band, surprisingly. Flexible, fits well, looks good and almost impossible to actually dirty. It is seemingly impervious to sweat and dirt. I have never felt like I had to wash it ever no matter what the activity.

Additionally, the red leather is amazing. It is great in a social setting but it also gives an interesting, casual bent when paired with business attire.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BoyBlunder posted:

Or if you want to sleep track, just charge while you're in the shower. A quick 20-30m charge a day is enough to keep it going.

Does it automatically track your sleep if you use bedtime? Or do you need an ap?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The woven nylon bands are my favorite to wear, but yeah, they get real gross if you sweat in them.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Rick posted:

Does it automatically track your sleep if you use bedtime? Or do you need an ap?

I use an app, AutoSleep, and sleep detection is automatic.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

BoyBlunder posted:

AutoSleep is so good at telling me how poorly I sleep :saddowns:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

BoyBlunder posted:

How does it measure sleep quality? Just based on movement? Does it use pulse metrics or anything?

Also, when do you people actually charge your watch?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

XBenedict posted:

In the shower. It charges VERY quickly - 30 minutes a day is plenty.

That being said I just charge it alongside my phone (I have a charging stand that does both) at night because I have no interest in knowing how badly I sleep.

(dual dock here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K7TJRSE/ )

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

It gets gross.

I don't have one yet, but the vented official nike plastic bands look to be the best if you want to wear it for longer workouts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've got one. They seem slightly better than the standard sport bands, but that's about it. Given that they're the same price, there's no real good reason not to get one other than lack of color option for the Nike bands.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I've got one. They seem slightly better than the standard sport bands, but that's about it. Given that they're the same price, there's no real good reason not to get one other than lack of color option for the Nike bands.

There are lots of knockoffs on eBay in a bunch of different colors for about $10 each. Search for nike Apple Watch band.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

fr3lm0 posted:

There are lots of knockoffs on eBay in a bunch of different colors for about $10 each. Search for nike Apple Watch band.

You don't even need to goto ebay

Search Nike apple watch band on amazon and you get get any color you want and most of them ship via prime!

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

XBenedict posted:

How does it measure sleep quality? Just based on movement? Does it use pulse metrics or anything?

Heartrate and movement.

I throw my watch on the charger when I'm getting ready (shower, dressing, etc). It'll usually be enough to give it enough juice for the day.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My favorite band is the Nike band for sure, at least for comfort and lack of smell. I don't have the more expensive bands, though (although I have a whole lot of cheap knock offs, which usually range from "okay" to "good" on the comfort scale. I guess it's hard to do a watch band poorly).

BoyBlunder posted:

Cool, I might check it out.

skull mask mcgee posted:

AutoSleep is so good at telling me how poorly I sleep :saddowns:

Way back in the day I used to use the app where you stuck your phone under your bedcover and I basically only sleep two hours a night according to that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How does the Nike band clasp? I have a sports band on my S2 but it's giving me serious skin irritation.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I have a watchOS4 question. I was reading an article about it and came across this:

Stuff posted:

Luckily, watchOS 4 brings big improvements here, as long as you use the Music app. This will now automatically sync new tunes to your Watch every week, based on your recent listening.

(full article here)

When it says that tunes will be synced to your watch from the Music app, does it just mean the app where you load your own music, or does it also mean tunes will be synced based on what you listen to with Apple Music the streaming service?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, I don't know, for example, if the two things (the songs you load onto your phone via iTunes, and Apple Music) are merged or what.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How does the Nike band clasp? I have a sports band on my S2 but it's giving me serious skin irritation.

Exactly like the sport bands.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:(

gregday
May 23, 2003

Long shot, but does anyone have either a Berry or Sapphire Apple-made watch band in 42mm you’d like to sell?

I meant to get them but they are already sold out and I don’t think likely to return.

Edit: looks like B&H has them.

gregday fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 8, 2017

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Try contacting Apple for a replacement, people have gotten bands swapped for stuff like that, to completely different types if necessary.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

japtor posted:

Try contacting Apple for a replacement, people have gotten bands swapped for stuff like that, to completely different types if necessary.

Thanks! I'll try this.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Cultural Marxist posted:

I have a watchOS4 question. I was reading an article about it and came across this:

(full article here)

When it says that tunes will be synced to your watch from the Music app, does it just mean the app where you load your own music, or does it also mean tunes will be synced based on what you listen to with Apple Music the streaming service?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, I don't know, for example, if the two things (the songs you load onto your phone via iTunes, and Apple Music) are merged or what.

If you’re an Apple Music subscriber, you’ll see a few automatically-added items on your watch: albums and playlists from Heavy Rotation (that is, stuff you listen to often and lately with your Apple Music account), plus My New Music Mix, My Favorites Mix, and My Chill Mix (where available). This content is the same as what you’d see in the For You tab in the Music app on your phone. You can turn each of these off, and also choose to add your own hand-picked albums and playlists in Music settings inside the Apple Watch app on your phone.

If you’re not a subscriber, you’ll just get Heavy Rotation content added automatically (based on play counts of items on your phone).

Violator
May 15, 2003

Spoilers for Tuesday: iOS 11 GM leaked and MacRumors.com has an article showing a screenshot of the new LTE Watch that can do phone calls. Also looks like a colored Digital Crown and a new watch face.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Violator posted:

Spoilers for Tuesday: iOS 11 GM leaked and MacRumors.com has an article showing a screenshot of the new LTE Watch that can do phone calls. Also looks like a colored Digital Crown and a new watch face.

I am ready for this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I am ready for this.

Hell yes me too.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I wonder if you will have to buy separate service for your watch?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I wonder if you will have to buy separate service for your watch?

That's how it works with the android watches but I'm crossing my fingers Apple figured away around all that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The watch getting LTE and being able to act independently from the phone for more poo poo would be amazing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

That's how it works with the android watches but I'm crossing my fingers Apple figured away around all that.

I'd be shocked if carriers let it go for free, they're desperate for new revenue.

That being said if anyone could do it it's apple.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I'd be shocked if carriers let it go for free, they're desperate for new revenue.

That being said if anyone could do it it's apple.

Yeah I am definitely not holding my breath but I'll remain hopeful that they can swing it.

I'm honestly not sure what it's worth to me but I wouldn't spend more then $10 a month to add it on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If it's $20 or less and doesn't gently caress with my plan in any other way shape or form I'll go for it. I'm on that sweet rear end unlimited everything from T-Mobile back in february and I'm not about to start adding and changing poo poo and losing all the good stuff in it. There's no word on release date for it in relation to the iPhone 8 still, right?

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

PZ Smeltzenseltzer posted:

If you’re an Apple Music subscriber, you’ll see a few automatically-added items on your watch: albums and playlists from Heavy Rotation (that is, stuff you listen to often and lately with your Apple Music account), plus My New Music Mix, My Favorites Mix, and My Chill Mix (where available). This content is the same as what you’d see in the For You tab in the Music app on your phone. You can turn each of these off, and also choose to add your own hand-picked albums and playlists in Music settings inside the Apple Watch app on your phone.

If you’re not a subscriber, you’ll just get Heavy Rotation content added automatically (based on play counts of items on your phone).

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my rather convoluted question! I know that I'm easily impressed, but the whole automatically syncing playlists to your watch business sounds pretty neat to me.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm looking forward to a new sim-for-watches form factor that is closer to a fine powder than a full size sim card.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

shadow puppet of a posted:

I'm looking forward to a new sim-for-watches form factor that is closer to a fine powder than a full size sim card.

Will just be firmware on an embedded component.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking forward to the price cuts on Series 1 and 2 watches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I am definitely not holding my breath but I'll remain hopeful that they can swing it.

I'm honestly not sure what it's worth to me but I wouldn't spend more then $10 a month to add it on.

They're almost always $5 a month for a watch.

Cultural Marxist posted:

I'm looking forward to the price cuts on Series 1 and 2 watches.

Interested in buying my series 2?

This applies to anyone in general. I'll probably be selling my series 2, sport space gray, one small scuff in the left corner.

• Locked thread