Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
just found out that I am impacted by this "incident" thanks a lot you gently caress faces

also my enroll date for their services is six days from now which don't engender a feeling of confidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

just found out that I am impacted by this "incident" thanks a lot you gently caress faces

also my enroll date for their services is six days from now which don't engender a feeling of confidence

There's a provision in their terms of services that enrolling in their credit monitoring service waives your right to join a class action lawsuit in the future. You may be better off just dealing with the hassle of freezing and unfreezing your credit as needed in the future.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

If an actual class action suit were to happen, I doubt the CFPB would find that paper shield intimidating.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ancillary Character posted:

There's a provision in their terms of services that enrolling in their credit monitoring service waives your right to join a class action lawsuit in the future. You may be better off just dealing with the hassle of freezing and unfreezing your credit as needed in the future.

aww what the gently caress, gently caress them

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Did you find out you were impacted from their website which also says Bonerhitler got his SS stolen?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ancillary Character posted:

Their website is stating the opposite for this one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

Their website is stating the opposite for this one.

Yeah...looks like this isn't an issue.

Dealing with freezing and unfreezing reports at Experian, Equifax, Tansunion, Innovis and Chex cost me like $30 (depends on what state you are in) and took about 45 minutes. Experian didn't work and wants me to send in documentation - I'm going to try to call them.

https://www.experian.com/ncaconline/freeze

https://freeze.transunion.com/sf/securityFreeze/landingPage.jsp

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/jsp/SFF_PersonalIDInfo.jsp

https://www.innovis.com/securityFreeze/index

https://www.chexsystems.com/web/chexsystems/consumerdebit/page/securityfreeze/placefreeze/

(Chex requires zip+4 - you can look that up at USPS: https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action)

There have also been multiple reports that seem to indicate an increase in the rate of scammers, potentially using this information, requesting replacement DEBIT CARDS and poo poo, which is truly terrifying. Some of them are staking out mailboxes, some have tried to change addresses/add mail forwards - all the standard tricks.

This is going to be a wild ride. I'll be talking with my primary bank as well as my brokerage/bank on Monday morning to see what they can do about this - like, freeze any requests for card reissues without a pin/passcode or something.

Oh, and my favorite, from the desk of the Equifax CSO who's educational background consists of nothing but music school (and has since blocked her linkedin profile): The PIN you get when you request a freeze is 090917xxxx. Yes, 10 digits, with the first 6 being a date stamp. It appears that the last 4 are a time stamp, at least on mine. It is also presented on an embedded PDF document at the end of the process, so people trying to do this on mobile/tablets that can't display this are not receiving their pins and will have to deal with how to sort that out later.

Which shouldn't be too hard for anyone, because you can get a PIN reset by providing some of the exact information Equifax lost in this incident.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Who the gently caress are Chex and Innovis?

WHY DO SO MANY COMPANIES WITH WHOM I HAVE NO BUSINESS HAVE SUCH SUBSTANTIAL ACCESS TO MY PERSONAL INFORMATION.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
At least it's free to freeze at Chex and Innovis. Jesus. Hours of my life gone because of this bullshit.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Who the gently caress are Chex and Innovis?

WHY DO SO MANY COMPANIES WITH WHOM I HAVE NO BUSINESS HAVE SUCH SUBSTANTIAL ACCESS TO MY PERSONAL INFORMATION.

Innovis I'm new to, but Chex is what most if not all banks use to verify your identity when you open up a new bank account.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Innovis I'm new to, but Chex is what most if not all banks use to verify your identity when you open up a new bank account.

They also use it to keep track of your banking history. I tried to open a new checking account five years ago and the bank denied my application because I bounced a check in 2007.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I currently use Credit Karma to monitor my credit. Is that good enough to detect when someone's trying to use my identity or does it miss things?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

drainpipe posted:

I currently use Credit Karma to monitor my credit. Is that good enough to detect when someone's trying to use my identity or does it miss things?

Sort of. New info will appear monthly but it only covers TransUnion and Equifax.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

So we're actively looking for a house and will probably be applying for a mortgage within the next few weeks, so this is excellent timing for a credit data breach really excited thank you.

We're in a very hot market so I don't know if setting up freezes would be a good idea right now but ffffffff

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Innovis is like Equifax/Experian/Transunion, just smaller.

drainpipe posted:

As mentioned already, that only tracks 2 bureaus. Even if it tracked them all you need to understand that any monitoring, no matter how good, is inherently reactive rather than proactive. By the time you see the problem something bad has already happened. Maybe you can prevent more bad thing from happening that would have otherwise........but how would you do that once you found out? By freezing your credit reports.

I've decided to be proactive based on this news. It's a huge pain in the rear end and:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I also filed a CFPB complaint: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

BadSamaritan posted:

So we're actively looking for a house and will probably be applying for a mortgage within the next few weeks, so this is excellent timing for a credit data breach really excited thank you.

We're in a very hot market so I don't know if setting up freezes would be a good idea right now but ffffffff

I'm more or less in the same boat. I'm in the middle of looking for a new apartment, so now this adds a whole new step I have to contend with. I hate this dumb system we have.

Motronic posted:

Innovis is like Equifax/Experian/Transunion, just smaller.

That much I was able to ascertain. I just wasn't sure where they apparently got my info prior. Wikipedia suggests Verizon which I guess makes sense since I am a Verizon Wireless subscriber?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Ugh what a mess. TransUnion is the only major credit reporting agency that is accepting credit freeze requests. Experian requests that you upload a ton a personal documents (which they will then take their time to review), and Equifax credit freeze request website isn't even working right now!!

I guess the only solace is that there is safety in numbers since this breach was so big. We're all a bunch of schooling anchovies, while the corporate whales and criminal barracudas have their leisurely fill.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
How do you protect against scams like ordering replacement debit cards or loving with your brokerage accounts? Credit card and fraudulent accounts are one thing that can be disputed and dealt with but having actual money stolen from you with your personal information is a much more difficult problem.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

How do you protect against scams like ordering replacement debit cards or loving with your brokerage accounts? Credit card and fraudulent accounts are one thing that can be disputed and dealt with but having actual money stolen from you with your personal information is a much more difficult problem.

Some cards allow you to set up text-confirmations where any time the card is used, you get a text that you can reply to and stop the transaction from going through

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Here's a good twitter thread I ran across if you do find (non-cc) fraud from this

https://twitter.com/patio11/status/906384638733467648

and here's the detailed blog link at the end http://www.kalzumeus.com/2017/09/09/identity-theft-credit-reports/

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Credit Karma is great and I recommend it a lot. To cover the third credit bureau it misses you can create an account at https://www.freecreditscore.com/ which was recently bought by the third bureau, Experian. Once you've setup the account there you can just login to the Experian.com website with those credentials. With Credit Karma and Experian you'll be able to access your reports whenever and get email alerts for new accounts and new account inquiries from all three major credit bureaus for free.

A better and more reliable site with more information. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/experian-now-offers-free-credit-monitoring-fico-score-report-free/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I'll report back when I talk to the two banks I have debit cards from tomorrow morning.

I'm hoping they can at least require a PIN to re-order one. Better yet showing up in person. There is literally no situation I could think of where I'd need a lost debit card replaced while traveling considering if I were in that kind of a pickle and needed cash I could cash advance a credit card, find someone locally to paypal money to, get money wired to me or any other number of things.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I plan to resign, and I'm not sure when to tender my notice (which, by contract, is three months!).

The problem is at my small firm, I report directly to three managers and indirectly to a founding partner. Currently, only the two junior-most managers are around. It will be at least two weeks before all four of them are in the office.

I want to tender my notice face-to-face. But I have begun my job search and I already worry that my lengthy notice will put off potential employers.

Should I tender my notice now or wait until everybody's back? I don't want to burn my bridges by being rude, but it's a long-rear end notice period.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You can ask them to voluntarily waive part of your notice period if you want, as well. They may say no but you might save a week or two there if you play your cards right. I'm not sure about your etiquette question - I want to believe anyone would understand your haste given the notice period, but I don't know the people in question.

Overall I don't think you should sweat it. Out with the old and all...

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I resigned last night. Sent resignation e-mail with my 2 week notice after calling my boss at around 6-7PM. Our corporate is on the east coast where I'm in California.

Came into work today and was let go immediately. Didn't have my final check prepared yet, but I'm not really concerned with that as I have a couple reimbursements I haven't received yet and I would prefer to get those on there before receiving it anyway. My question is does this make me eligible for unemployment benefits? Seems like this became a termination rather than a resignation.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Apply for it for the period up until the date of your intended resignation and see. You should be eligible but who the hell knows with how much bullshit can get thrown to block it. Worst that can happen is you get rejected.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dkj posted:

Didn't have my final check prepared

This is illegal in California. You need to tell them they will have it for you by close of business tomorrow with all outstanding reimbursements or you will be filing with CA Labor and Workforce the following morning.

This should make you eligible for unemployment, and L&W will confirm if that's the case.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

This is illegal in California. You need to tell them they will have it for you by close of business tomorrow with all outstanding reimbursements or you will be filing with CA Labor and Workforce the following morning.

This should make you eligible for unemployment, and L&W will confirm if that's the case.

Or let them sweat it, they owe him his daily wage until it is provided. They are digging this hole, not him.

Let the ink dry on your i-9 at the new gig in two weeks then email and ask where your paycheck is at, assuming you haven't received it. Then it's a 2 week paid vacation, magic!

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 15, 2017

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You can ask them to voluntarily waive part of your notice period if you want, as well. They may say no but you might save a week or two there if you play your cards right. I'm not sure about your etiquette question - I want to believe anyone would understand your haste given the notice period, but I don't know the people in question.

Overall I don't think you should sweat it. Out with the old and all...

Isn't every state like "right to work" and contractual three months is unenforceable?

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Sundae posted:

Apply for it for the period up until the date of your intended resignation and see. You should be eligible but who the hell knows with how much bullshit can get thrown to block it. Worst that can happen is you get rejected.

Motronic posted:

H110Hawk posted:

Or let them sweat it, they owe him his daily wage until it is provided. They are digging this hole, not him.

Let the ink dry on your i-9 at the new gig in two weeks then email and ask where your paycheck is at, assuming you haven't received it. Then it's a 2 week paid vacation, magic!

Thank you.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

incoherent posted:

Isn't every state like "right to work" and contractual three months is unenforceable?

Right to work governs agreements between employers and unions. Contracts can require notice but it's most likely only enforceable if the contract has a fixed term or the company is required to give similar notice.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
We really need to put the definitions of "At Will" and "Right to Work" pinned at the top of every discussion-oriented subforum.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I have a lot of questions about tutoring as a job. Someone (Moana?) used to offer a lot of advice on tutoring, but I can't remember if there was a separate thread or not. Does anyone remember/feel like answering some questions?

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
TL/DR: Can't find housing in SoCal.

I live in SoCal, been trying to find a housing situation for over 2 years now without success.

Because of medical issues I can't live in shared living situations or situations where there's a lot of mold/mildew/air pollution.

My budget is up to ~$1600mo and I need enough space to park (at least) 4 vehicles and 2 trailers.

I've been told that the issue lies in that I get paid via 1099 from at least 6 different business entities and based on where I'm needed, the company I get the bulk of my money from can change from month to month.

I have hoped that I could convince a bank to let me just buy someplace, because I'll always make the money I need for repairs or to make the rent, but I only have about 8k saved up to put towards a down payment.

I've spent over 5k this year alone in rental application fees and I feel like I'm doomed because of my work situation (which will never change).

Any advice would be helpful.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bob Log posted:

TL/DR: Can't find housing in SoCal.

I live in SoCal, been trying to find a housing situation for over 2 years now without success.

Because of medical issues I can't live in shared living situations or situations where there's a lot of mold/mildew/air pollution.

My budget is up to ~$1600mo and I need enough space to park (at least) 4 vehicles and 2 trailers.

I've been told that the issue lies in that I get paid via 1099 from at least 6 different business entities and based on where I'm needed, the company I get the bulk of my money from can change from month to month.

I have hoped that I could convince a bank to let me just buy someplace, because I'll always make the money I need for repairs or to make the rent, but I only have about 8k saved up to put towards a down payment.

I've spent over 5k this year alone in rental application fees and I feel like I'm doomed because of my work situation (which will never change).

Any advice would be helpful.

You need to post a budget, and why you are comingling 4 vehicles+2trailers in with your personal housing situation. Those are two different problems which probably involved selling some of that stuff. $8k saved isn't much, do you also have an emergency fund?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah, I mean, are you really gonna make us ask about the candles? Tell us what the fleet is for. You're right that you can't reasonably buy a place with only 8k saved in socal.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I have a motorcycle and a car, my s/o has a car and a truck. Arguably I am willing to sell my car and she's willing to sell her car, it's a matter of when and how.

There's a work van and two trailers I have as part of my work. They all contain nothing but work materials and are not entirely mine. Yeah they could go away, but I get paid to keep them around.

I figured stating that my budget for housing was around $1600 would be sufficient delving into that issue? I'm not really looking for budgeting help on that end and I could go up to 1800 if the place was perfect and I could live there forever.

The problem I thought I was facing was not immediately monetary but how to work around landlords, rental agencies (for renting) and banks (for buying) preferring people with a single source W-2 income vs. someone like me with multiple sources via 1099.

Edit: 3mo emergency fund. Suze Orman was drilled into me.

Edit^2: 5k/year for rental fees calculated by a rough estimate of 100 properties applied for (10 just last month), at 50$ per application per person, that comes to 5k, and I've been paying for myself, my gf and whoever was willing to be a guarantor.

I don't think or intend to hide anything, though I forgot to mention my S/O's also temporarily disabled from a work injury and is subsisting off drat near nothing from worker's comp.

Savings are low cause I bought the motorcycle in July, I didn't think this was a full confessional of my financial sins.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 19, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bob Log posted:

I have a motorcycle and a car, my s/o has a car and a truck. Arguably I am willing to sell my car and she's willing to sell her car, it's a matter of when and how.

There's a work van and two trailers I have as part of my work. They all contain nothing but work materials and are not entirely mine. Yeah they could go away, but I get paid to keep them around.

I figured stating that my budget for housing was around $1600 would be sufficient delving into that issue? I'm not really looking for budgeting help on that end and I could go up to 1800 if the place was perfect and I could live there forever.

The problem I thought I was facing was not immediately monetary but how to work around landlords, rental agencies (for renting) and banks (for buying) preferring people with a single source W-2 income vs. someone like me with multiple sources via 1099.

Edit: 3mo emergency fund. Suze Orman was drilled into me.

There is something you aren't telling us about this scenario. $5k is a lot of credit checks. Are you a practicing sex offender?

Call a realtor and tell them you want to rent a house and explain your situation. Give them a copy of your free tri-agency credit report and stop paying for checks until someone agrees they will rent if your paid report matches the free one.

Rent space to store your work stuff.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I see where the confusion is. You can't live in a motorcycle, sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Did anyone so far give you a reason why you're being turned down? Just because of being a contractor?