Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Milky Moor posted:

Anyway, apparently the novels explain it all but that seems to be a recurring issue with TFA.

I have to believe that's a side-effect of TFA's rushed schedule and crazy late re-shoots and ADR / re-editing. I really feel that if Kennedy and Abrams had gotten the extra six months they begged for, it would have been a tighter movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Timby posted:

I have to believe that's a side-effect of TFA's rushed schedule and crazy late re-shoots and ADR / re-editing. I really feel that if Kennedy and Abrams had gotten the extra six months they begged for, it would have been a tighter movie.

If they had made a better movie to begin with, it also would have been a tighter movie.

Edit: By which I mean, there was an entire decade between Star Warses. The purchase was in 2012. They had time to make it good, and didn't.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I really feel like they missed an opportunity to make Phasma the electric staff trooper that fights with Finn. Would have given her a cool fight scene at least.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

JazzFlight posted:

I really feel like they missed an opportunity to make Phasma the electric staff trooper that fights with Finn. Would have given her a cool fight scene at least.
That...is a really good idea. It's funny that the nameless stormtrooper who was there stole the show and made more of an impression on the fandom than Phasma did.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

JazzFlight posted:

So TR-8R spots Finn, guns for him, only to get thrashed by Finn before Phasma comes up, picks up the staff and proceeds to school Finn before Han borrows Chewie's Bowcaster and shoots her off Finn

She survives because of her armor and the film continues as normal

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

drat that's a much better way to handle her. gives Finn a bit of a rival, too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Electric staff trooper is a better actor and should have been given a bigger role.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

sassassin posted:

Electric staff trooper is a better actor and should have been given a bigger role.

TR8R was the breakout character of the force awakens.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Phasma a baffling and cynical choice to recreate another Boba Fett. Except that nothing at all about the marketing tallied up with anything in the movie. She hilariously caves in immediately and then we're supposed to think that this is some new badass character? gently caress that.

Not much different from Boba Fett himself.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Boba Fett died like was a chump.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Bongo Bill posted:

Not much different from Boba Fett himself.

Boba Fett gets "No disintegrations!" which is about a thousand times cooler than anything having to do with Phasma. It's just a perfectly efficient and hilarious bit of character building. He's the guy who disintegrates everyone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Boba Fett gets "No disintegrations!" which is about a thousand times cooler than anything having to do with Phasma. It's just a perfectly efficient and hilarious bit of character building. He's the guy who disintegrates everyone.

It just means he's bad at his job. How is he gonna collect the bounty on a man he can't prove he killed? Boba Fett lives on ramen.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He still lives in his dad's ship.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Instant Sunrise posted:

TR8R was the breakout character of the force awakens.

He was one of the few actual characters in the movie, yeah. It's amazing what happens when you give someone an actual emotional motivation for conflict.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Snoke is TR-8R!!!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's always fun in a movie when a random faceless mook gives the hero a hard time. I can't think of any other examples right now but it's definitely fun.

Edit: Maybe that older German soldier in the truck in Indiana Jones 3?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

JazzFlight posted:

IIRC from what I have read when Force Awakens was being made, at that point they planned for her to have a pretty big role in what is now The Last Jedi and she was never intended to be around much in Force Awakens. But because they decided not to go with the Resistance having a shield piercing saucer kind of super-weapon ship which would have been used to get the Falcon/etc. fighters onto the Starkiller planet, they threw her in that additional scene where they hold her up to lower the shield. So now Phasma as a character is in this weird territory where she's around more than Boba Fett was in Empire, but still inconsequential and weak like Boba Fett was in Jedi.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

porfiria posted:

It's always fun in a movie when a random faceless mook gives the hero a hard time. I can't think of any other examples right now but it's definitely fun.

Edit: Maybe that older German soldier in the truck in Indiana Jones 3?

The big bald German soldier in the first and the big burly child slaver in the second movie, too. They both beat the poo poo out of Indie.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Boba Fett is the Star Wars equivalent of that swordsman in Raiders of the Lost Ark who got shot because Harrison Ford had to poo poo.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 8, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Grendels Dad posted:

The big bald German soldier in the first and the big burly child slaver in the second movie, too. They both beat the poo poo out of Indie.

Yeah but I mean even those guys have some visual stuff going on indicating they're like a sub boss or whatever. I'm talking dudes that look like the director just pulled them from the background one day.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So the conclusion is that I'm getting at is that zombie Han Solo is going to RKO Phasma out of nowhere.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I thought the random ninja stormtrooper was one of the The Raid guys but apparently not?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sassassin posted:

I thought the random ninja stormtrooper was one of the The Raid guys but apparently not?

I thought the Raid guys were the ones who boarded the freighter to bust Han for money.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Milky Moor posted:

I thought Cassian had a bit of depth, but that came down to how well Diego Luna portrayed him, not so much the script. Jyn might've been interesting in the original cut of the film but, well, she's a bit uneven in it as is. I'm really not set on Rey, Finn or Poe at all. All three of them feel like blank ciphers that we're supposed to imprint ourselves onto (and I still don't like their names, I think TFA was just abominable at names).

What makes Rogue One actually work is that the characters are built up by visual association instead of through dialogue.

After the prologue, where Jyn is saved by the Insurgents, Jyn is very briefly (re-)introduced in prison. Then we cut to Cassian in a slummy market at the 'bottom' of this place:

Cassian's basic mission is to get the info and climb out of there, right? But note the imagery: there's nowhere to climb to. He'll just end up in the same place.

Just by intercutting these scenes, the movie establishes part of why Jyn left the insurgency, and how Cassian 'carries his prison with him.'

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What makes Rogue One actually work is that the characters are built up by visual association instead of through dialogue.

After the prologue, where Jyn is saved by the Insurgents, Jyn is very briefly (re-)introduced in prison. Then we cut to Cassian in a slummy market at the 'bottom' of this place:

Cassian's basic mission is to get the info and climb out of there, right? But note the imagery: there's nowhere to climb to. He'll just end up in the same place.

Just by intercutting these scenes, the movie establishes part of why Jyn left the insurgency, and how Cassian 'carries his prison with him.'

Very cool, SMG. I do think R1 rewards more watching, in that sense. Like, the little flicker of emotion that crosses Cassian's face after he shoots the informant. He'll kill when he has to ("for the Rebellion") but doesn't like doing it -- so it's really no surprise when he doesn't kill Galen.

He does a lot of rising and falling and climbing throughout the film, but always comes back to the same place. That of the bitter grown-old child soldier.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timby posted:

I thought the Raid guys were the ones who boarded the freighter to bust Han for money.

With them doing choreography for the movie in general it could easily be both.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I couldn't buy Cassian as a tough guy at all. He just looks soft. Weak. Big teary eyes and lip a moment from quivering.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

sassassin posted:

I couldn't buy Cassian as a tough guy at all. He just looks soft. Weak. Big teary eyes and lip a moment from quivering.

That's part of his character, the way I see it. He's a soft man trying desperately to be tough to survive in a hard world. If was as hard as he claimed to be, he would have killed Galen, he wouldn't have helped Jyn. He had just spent years trying to bury his good nature and act purely "in the interest of the rebellion", despite being obviously personally opposed to the darker aspects of that job.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I came back to the star war thread just to say that I'm glad the guy who wrote and directed Jurassic World of all things won't be allowed to do the last movie

It was a bad movie

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

jivjov posted:

That's part of his character, the way I see it. He's a soft man trying desperately to be tough to survive in a hard world. If was as hard as he claimed to be, he would have killed Galen, he wouldn't have helped Jyn. He had just spent years trying to bury his good nature and act purely "in the interest of the rebellion", despite being obviously personally opposed to the darker aspects of that job.

Makes sense as he and Jyn were the Disney versions of Kyle Katarn and Jan Orso.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
What the hell is a Kyle Katarn and why is it always brought up?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

What the hell is a Kyle Katarn and why is it always brought up?

He was the protagonist of Dark Forces, a video game about stealing the Death Star plans. His copilot was named Jan Ors, and its long been speculated that Jyn Erso's name was picked to aurally resemble Jan's.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

jivjov posted:

He was the protagonist of Dark Forces, a video game about stealing the Death Star plans. His copilot was named Jan Ors, and its long been speculated that Jyn Erso's name was picked to aurally resemble Jan's.

I thought Manny Bothans stole the plans?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

I thought Manny Bothans stole the plans?

That was the second Death Star.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Also the plans for the first Death Star was stolen by like six different groups in various unconnected EU material, to the point that someone later wrote another EU fiction explaining that each group were stealing a different portion of the plans.

I always figured that Kanan in Rebels was inspired by Katarn. Their names sound similar and they sort of dress alike.

Jedi Knight is where I first know Kyle. Those cutscenes will be stuck in my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmD-HlPAVTw

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah; everyone wanted to tell the story of the theft of the plans. It got rather silly by the end of Legends

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Cassian and Jyn are an interesting pair of counterparts. Both recruited as child soldiers, instilled with a hatred of the Empire and a willingness to carry out extreme acts in the fight against it, but also seeking something to fight for, not just against. Jyn reacts by becoming disillusioned and withdrawing from the whole fight, while Cassian doubles down and becomes the good little soldier doing the Rebellion's dirty work. Their respective arcs are about them finding their cause. Jyn is obviously inspired by her father, but Cassian's "good Rebel" facade also gives her something of a model that she later uses to inspire him in turn to be the man he wants to be. The "rebellions are built on hope" line, for instance, is repurposed from a sarcastic aside to a genuine inspirational speech.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 9, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That's the thing about Rogue One and criticisms that the characters and their respective experiences are under-defined. Characters aren't just islands, they reflect upon one another. As SMG has pointed out, Cassian's experience reflects upon aspects of Jyn's experience that aren't explicitly shown, and that's not the only area in which Rogue One plays with this sense of duality. Indeed, the whole film is built rather overtly around duality. The most obvious example is Chirrut and Baze (the faith of the former bringing the latter out of his cynicism), Kay and Bodhi (both participants in the struggle who were formerly imperial soldiers who became 're-programmed' to fight for the rebellion), Saw and Galen (both father-figures as well as doomed subversives within their respective political spheres). Even the 'fan service' in the movie is explicitly dualistic: Artoo and Threepio, the two mooks who escape the genocide on Jedha only to be made examples by Obi-Wan, the CGI-realized Tarkin and Leia.

And, of course, the whole movie is about the problematic duality between the Empire and the Rebel Alliance, that the overly pragmatic concerns of the latter betray how they'll inevitably succumb to the corruption that spawned the former.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

K. Waste posted:

That's the thing about Rogue One and criticisms that the characters and their respective experiences are under-defined. Characters aren't just islands, they reflect upon one another. As SMG has pointed out, Cassian's experience reflects upon aspects of Jyn's experience that aren't explicitly shown, and that's not the only area in which Rogue One plays with this sense of duality. Indeed, the whole film is built rather overtly around duality. The most obvious example is Chirrut and Baze (the faith of the former bringing the latter out of his cynicism), Kay and Bodhi (both participants in the struggle who were formerly imperial soldiers who became 're-programmed' to fight for the rebellion), Saw and Galen (both father-figures as well as doomed subversives within their respective political spheres). Even the 'fan service' in the movie is explicitly dualistic: Artoo and Threepio, the two mooks who escape the genocide on Jedha only to be made examples by Obi-Wan, the CGI-realized Tarkin and Leia.

And, of course, the whole movie is about the problematic duality between the Empire and the Rebel Alliance, that the overly pragmatic concerns of the latter betray how they'll inevitably succumb to the corruption that spawned the former.

Okay but also the movie was really boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Okay but also the movie was really boring.

Diff' strokes, mate. I found the duality between characters and partisans in Rogue One very nuanced and compelling, if understated. It was also really well shot.

It's easy to declare a movie boring if you have demonstratively zero interest in what's going on and how it's presented. Me, I'm not at all sick of all these star wars. They can still be good.

• Locked thread