Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SomethingJones posted:

Derek has re-tweeted it to "give context to what's coming next" so I'm getting myself some context for 'what's coming next' and discussing it to get some more context, and then Derek tweets the latest ATV and says "look here" so I looked there and that Eric guy says something about "non-CIG testers" so hey, there's the context, the context is a year old.

Also, Derek quotes a CIG rep "giving some more context" in the form of an email.

None of that is a prediction so far.

Then he goes into some more historical stuff and posts a chart, along with some rumours and unconfirmed reports. I know they are rumours and unconfirmed reports because Derek Smart calls them 'rumours and unconfirmed reports'. He doesn't call them 'predictions'. Then he talks about various lies and then we get a big history lesson.

I can't find a single prediction in there, but it might be because my eyes are glazing over at the sheer amount of text. Which predictions in there turned out to be wrong?

Here's the thing, Derek has no more idea 'what's coming next' than anyone else does, he's proven that by being unable to predict anything even though he claims to have sources. He just craves attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well I sure hope beet evacuated.
https://twitter.com/SLForecast/status/906204764488138753

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

zcrow posted:

Post more wolves

Wolves are cool:
http://imgur.com/gallery/O4EjR
Gallery about the reintroduction of 14 wolves to Yellowstone park.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

Derek has re-tweeted it to "give context to what's coming next" so I'm getting myself some context for 'what's coming next' and discussing it to get some more context, and then Derek tweets the latest ATV and says "look here" so I looked there and that Eric guy says something about "non-CIG testers" so hey, there's the context, the context is a year old.

Also, Derek quotes a CIG rep "giving some more context" in the form of an email.

None of that is a prediction so far.

Then he goes into some more historical stuff and posts a chart, along with some rumours and unconfirmed reports. I know they are rumours and unconfirmed reports because Derek Smart calls them 'rumours and unconfirmed reports'. He doesn't call them 'predictions'. Then he talks about various lies and then we get a big history lesson.

I can't find a single prediction in there, but it might be because my eyes are glazing over at the sheer amount of text. Which predictions in there turned out to be wrong?

Disco Lando wasn't fired. Star Marine wasn't canceled. "Money" was on camera many times before the escapist article. I only skimmed it though. I didn't watch ATV or read Derek's tweets so maybe I'm missing something? :shrug:

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

big nipples big life posted:

Here's the thing, Derek has no more idea 'what's coming next' than anyone else does, he's proven that by being unable to predict anything even though he claims to have sources. He just craves attention.

After reading this article about anonymous sources in the news, I think Derek's output makes more sense. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-anonymous-sources-are-worth-paying-attention-to/

oh and this one

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/when-to-trust-a-story-that-uses-unnamed-sources/

One big takeaway is that predictions from a single anonymous source are usually scuttlebutt. They are easy to make because there is no way to immediately verify a vague prediction. Compared to "this happened" which can be easier to verify or debunk. Basically I think Derek gets a lot of "this might happen" or "we/he/she talked about this" and when you feed that into the Derek Smart signal boost meat grinder the sausage you get is "This is definitely happening!!!!1" If he were a pro journalist, he should probably represent the tips he gets better but he's just a warlord so he doesn't have the luxury of nuance in his daily life.

I don't think he makes this stuff up but I do think he runs with any tip he gets, no matter how unreliable.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

SomethingJones posted:

I can't find my way out

send help

Ahh gently caress, we lost another one.

Look people, you can read Derek's twitter posts, you can read his posts here, but unless you've got a clear exit strategy, do not approach the blogzone.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Polish Avenger posted:

...The Derek Smart signal boost meat grinder...

This, thread title, now.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

MilesK posted:

Disco Lando wasn't fired. Star Marine wasn't canceled. "Money" was on camera many times before the escapist article. I only skimmed it though. I didn't watch ATV or read Derek's tweets so maybe I'm missing something? :shrug:

Star Marine was "already in the game" according to CR, then was referred to as "that long rumoured dead thing" by CR when Goons made a whole website dedicated to the Star Marine Death & Resurrection Show. Ilfonic's Star Marine never saw the light of day, it was canned. CIG's Star Marine was what eventually appeared, nothing like what CR described it as at all. No pole vaulting for example. No "co-operative and tactical gameplay" like Ben Lesnick described.

Disco Lando being fired - I remember rumours that he was looking to get out and I have to say his departure looked imminent if you were paying attention to the shows. Sound of Silence and all that. He openly took the piss out of Ben, I still have those transcripts. You could have taken a guess that he was on his way out and then, suddenly... there was a distinct change in his attitude. Perhaps one day we'll hear the full story.

Money was never front and centre of the shows until the Escapist article, that one was as obvious as it was embarrassing.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Ah, here it is

Disco Lando: Ben, MASTER OF SHIPS, where's my ENDEAVOUR?

Ben: Ah, Endeavour is much further down in the schedule so not, not (mumble mumble mumble)

Disco Lando: How 'bout that JAVELIN?

Ben: JAVELIN is actually put together by folks in the UK right now, um, so that is, uh, I should stress it's being put together for Squadron 42, it's, we're not gonna see the JAVELIN in Arena Commander tomorrow, but ah it is, it is getting it's ah... getting it... it... zzztt... buh... putting... putting...

Disco Lando: How 'bout that HULL SERIES?

Ben: HULL SERIES duh, no, it's more further down the line, ah, we'll hit the HULL A first and then build up from there, but, ah, ah, so it's scheduled but not... today

Disco Lando: RECLAIMER? Folks like that salvage.

Ben: So same story for all these, scheduled but not... 

Disco Lando: Yeah there's a reason I avoided them last time...

Ben: Probably what we should do in this segment is tell people what ships ARE in development right now

Disco Lando: We did that last week though, we can't just do the same thing every week

e- this was Mar 4 2016
e2 - and Derek's ELE blog is April 2016

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 8, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
I really liked Disco Lando when he was leaving and didn't give a flying gently caress about any of it.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
On Star Marine being cancelled - that came directly from CR

Chris Roberts Jan 25 2016:
Star Marine was just a game mode for people to play... the FPS element of Star Citizen until we could combine everything together, FLYING, walking around... SHOOTING... doing all the rest of the stuff, altogether, well THAT is what is in 2.0 THAT is what is in 2.1 so... eh... you know, with SC alpha for 2.0... ONWARDS, ah, you have basically what... we were PLANNING to do from Star Citizen from the very very very beginning, I mean we didn't, you know, if you go back and look at the original pitch we didn't say 'hey we're doing STAR MARINE',

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

SomethingJones posted:

Star Marine was just a game mode for people to play... the FPS element of Star Citizen until we could combine everything together, FLYING, walking around... SHOOTING... doing all the rest of the stuff, altogether, well THAT is what is in 2.0 THAT is what is in 2.1 so... eh... you know, with SC alpha for 2.0... ONWARDS, ah, you have basically what... we were PLANNING to do from Star Citizen from the very very very beginning, I mean we didn't, you know, if you go back and look at the original pitch we didn't say 'hey we're doing STAR MARINE',

You're confusing facts with the truth :smuggo:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SomethingJones posted:

A lot of this discussion, for example, whether or not Star Marine was cancelled or not, falls under the category of "semantics." The reason for this is that CIG, from the very begining, has been operating in a quasi-realistic state where their game both exists and doesn't exist at the same time. They refuse to pin down what Star Citizen is, what Star Marine is, what SQ42 is, etc. - this refusal to define boundaries plagues every inch of this scam, and has from the start.

This results in a complete inability to "win" an argument about whether Star Marine was cancelled because there is no Star Marine, there never was a Star Marine, multiple companies have worked on (and discarded) multiple iterations about what they've chosen to call "Star Marine" if they felt it was convenient to do so, and according to CR, it's also just a game mode baked into the PU (which is also poorly defined.)

This amorphous, ever-changing non-gaming landscape doesn't give us enough purchase to make solid arguments or predictions, no matter what information we do or do not have, and that's exactly how CIG wants it. Star Citizen is the Air Elemental of scam-ware, and no attempt to pin it down will work.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

:siren:Derek Smart was right :siren: :siren:Derek Smart was right :siren: :siren: Derek Smart was right :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4FxhUA0SKM

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

SomethingJones posted:

I really liked Disco Lando when he was leaving and didn't give a flying gently caress about any of it.
i remember some blog post or tweet or whatever about someone being convinced to stay with a fat sack of cash

was a name ever dropped? i think erin was the rumored party, but i could see lando earning that cash with his blatant "no fucks given" mode

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Saladin Rising posted:

Wolves are cool:
http://imgur.com/gallery/O4EjR
Gallery about the reintroduction of 14 wolves to Yellowstone park.

Hey that's pretty good.

Wolves confirmed opposite of climate change. More cute wolves. Or Kayak.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So the big OMFGROFLBBQ news is the restriction of the PTU to Evocati? Eh ok whatever.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

SomethingJones posted:

I suppose that's what goons do, point and laugh rather than try to understand where the other guy is coming from.

They're coming from the same place as any cult. They're funding the continued belief that they are part of a movement that is doing great things. Friendship, community, respect, even awe. All you have to do to is buy more ships. Want more respect, more status, shinier flair? Buy more ships. We were talking about spite-pledging on Discord last night. You don't see it much anymore, but people used to deliberately send CIG money whenever Derek posted a blog, because somewhere inside their heads buying more ships made Derek wrong. Feel nervous about the project? Buy more ships.

The pledge-status thing has actually withered a bit since the 2016 Gamescom, when backers started to feel uneasy en masse. We don't see anything like the level of strutting we used to. The crowd of vocal backers has shrunk far enough that backers must defend one another, rather than the stratification we used to see of high-tier Citizens sneering at low-tier ones or getting angry when their contributions weren't recognised as inherently superior.

You asked what the equivalent of God is to a backer and it's honestly "dreams". They're part of a mighty project - they funded it! That makes them investors, big important people, chosen ones - and they know they're the elite because they see other backers around them telling them they're elite. And you can be more elite by buying more ships and loyally waiting for the game and driving out naysayers who threaten the safe bubble of groupthink.

That's why we get those sad little posts every so often from people begging doubters to just "let us have this". Can't you just leave their bubble alone and let them have this one thing? This place where they're important and powerful and valued? We have all the rest of the world, can't we leave them their little place to themselves?

Others go for the Faith Militant. It's going to be released any minute now and their enemies will shriek and burn and beg to be allowed in, but no, CRoberts will ban the filthy refunders (please please ban the filthy refunders) e'en as He blesses us with His mighty hand. They've sacrificed so much, in time and money and dreams. Surely they will be specially rewarded for it, in a way the faithless latecomers will never be? Surely the wait is just a little longer?

Buy more ships. MORE.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ModernSociety posted:

Derek, I honestly don't think using '2 weeks' seriously is going to give your statements any more gravitas.

I agree, he should start using "fortnight".

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

Star Marine was "already in the game" according to CR, then was referred to as "that long rumoured dead thing" by CR when Goons made a whole website dedicated to the Star Marine Death & Resurrection Show. Ilfonic's Star Marine never saw the light of day, it was canned. CIG's Star Marine was what eventually appeared, nothing like what CR described it as at all. No pole vaulting for example. No "co-operative and tactical gameplay" like Ben Lesnick described.

Disco Lando being fired - I remember rumours that he was looking to get out and I have to say his departure looked imminent if you were paying attention to the shows. Sound of Silence and all that. He openly took the piss out of Ben, I still have those transcripts. You could have taken a guess that he was on his way out and then, suddenly... there was a distinct change in his attitude. Perhaps one day we'll hear the full story.

Money was never front and centre of the shows until the Escapist article, that one was as obvious as it was embarrassing.

Cancelled kinda implies CIG were done with it entirely, not releasing it in 6 months.

Disco actually has more of a role today, while Ben was quietly removed from the shows. His gimmick has always been to stare vacantly into the camera like he's above all the idiots around him, like the dude from "The Office".

I think he was in every RTV for like a month or 2 before the escapist. His role became more prominent after the escapist because half the community team was fired.

Please stop melting down. Also if you're mjotto please don't credit my dumb posts when you're touching the poop on reddit.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Ash1138 posted:

i remember some blog post or tweet or whatever about someone being convinced to stay with a fat sack of cash

was a name ever dropped? i think erin was the rumored party, but i could see lando earning that cash with his blatant "no fucks given" mode

The rumour was that a key figure was bailing, Disco Lando looked the most likely candidate because he had clearly had enough of their poo poo - but a name didn't actually appear as far as I remember. I think about a month later there was talk of a wodge of cash to keep someone on board which who the hell knows if any of that is true. I was watching and transcribing those loving shows like a maniac fuelled on nicotine and whiskey and I'll tell you this for nothing - Disco Lando went from giving no fucks to giving a slight bit of a gently caress inside the space of two weeks at the same time that wodge of cash rumour started going around.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

The rumour was that a key figure was bailing, Disco Lando looked the most likely candidate because he had clearly had enough of their poo poo - but a name didn't actually appear as far as I remember. I think about a month later there was talk of a wodge of cash to keep someone on board which who the hell knows if any of that is true. I was watching and transcribing those loving shows like a maniac fuelled on nicotine and whiskey and I'll tell you this for nothing - Disco Lando went from giving no fucks to giving a slight bit of a gently caress inside the space of two weeks at the same time that wodge of cash rumour started going around.

I don't remember that period all that well - I stopped posting for a while around that time. Can't remember why, though.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

MilesK posted:

Cancelled kinda implies CIG were done with it entirely, not releasing it in 6 months.

Disco actually has more of a role today, while Ben was quietly removed from the shows. His gimmick has always been to stare vacantly into the camera like he's above all the idiots around him, like the dude from "The Office".

I think he was in every RTV for like a month or 2 before the escapist. His role became more prominent after the escapist because half the community team was fired.

Please stop melting down. Also if you're mjotto please don't credit my dumb posts when you're touching the poop on reddit.

Not melting down, this is literally me in flow of conciousness mode, the only way I know how to post. Feel free to tear my posts to shreds as you see fit. That's not me on reddit btw :)

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Nice, real nice, glad you reposted this

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

SomethingJones posted:

sure it could be a coincidence, but it's more fun to think that he got a piece of the action and will be set for life while the only thing that ben lesnick, developer, will get is a front row seat to crobbers' destruction

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Loxbourne posted:

They're coming from the same place as any cult. They're funding the continued belief that they are part of a movement that is doing great things. Friendship, community, respect, even awe. All you have to do to is buy more ships. Want more respect, more status, shinier flair? Buy more ships. We were talking about spite-pledging on Discord last night. You don't see it much anymore, but people used to deliberately send CIG money whenever Derek posted a blog, because somewhere inside their heads buying more ships made Derek wrong. Feel nervous about the project? Buy more ships.

The pledge-status thing has actually withered a bit since the 2016 Gamescom, when backers started to feel uneasy en masse. We don't see anything like the level of strutting we used to. The crowd of vocal backers has shrunk far enough that backers must defend one another, rather than the stratification we used to see of high-tier Citizens sneering at low-tier ones or getting angry when their contributions weren't recognised as inherently superior.

You asked what the equivalent of God is to a backer and it's honestly "dreams". They're part of a mighty project - they funded it! That makes them investors, big important people, chosen ones - and they know they're the elite because they see other backers around them telling them they're elite. And you can be more elite by buying more ships and loyally waiting for the game and driving out naysayers who threaten the safe bubble of groupthink.

That's why we get those sad little posts every so often from people begging doubters to just "let us have this". Can't you just leave their bubble alone and let them have this one thing? This place where they're important and powerful and valued? We have all the rest of the world, can't we leave them their little place to themselves?

Others go for the Faith Militant. It's going to be released any minute now and their enemies will shriek and burn and beg to be allowed in, but no, CRoberts will ban the filthy refunders (please please ban the filthy refunders) e'en as He blesses us with His mighty hand. They've sacrificed so much, in time and money and dreams. Surely they will be specially rewarded for it, in a way the faithless latecomers will never be? Surely the wait is just a little longer?

Buy more ships. MORE.

Fantastic post. I've bolded the part that resonates with my own current thinking around this thing. I posted a few pages back with my 'idealogical theory', complete with storytelling archetypes - just threw it out there, no one commented on it, so gently caress it.

I spoke privately with another goon before returning to post here and "selling dreams" is literally what I said to him as the reason I don't see this ever collapsing. It can and will continue for a very long time. I also think there is a hierarchy, you call it a stratification which is probably a more accurate descriptor. I don't think we're the only folks posting who can see this, there are signs of others interpreting this as something other than a straightforward crowdfund or even a cashgrab. You don't pull in $3-4 million a month without a product unless you are nailing your marketing or tapping into something deeper. It's pure Holywood, all of it.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Ash1138 posted:

sure it could be a coincidence, but it's more fun to think that he got a piece of the action and will be set for life while the only thing that ben lesnick, developer, will get is a front row seat to crobbers' destruction

It could also be that I was very very drunk and that isn't how any of that happened at all.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Working within some unavoidable limitations, Derek has been right about pretty much everything. That should become more apparent to everyone as events play out.

I'm glad the end has come and we all get to experience the end together.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
god gently caress grt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJyXzVD6yxA

:argh:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

When you get a swing of like 18 bugs in one day you know they are either massaging the numbers throughly or they consider moderate to severe bugs something as stupid as someone's rear end clipping through a stool.

Every week they tell backers how many must-fix issues they have (and behind that I assume—if they are at all competent—lots more issues that aren't must-fix). This week it is 76. Then they do a dog and pony show with one or more developer who are working on problems that generally aren't so severe that they'd be on the 'must fix' list for Alpha 3.0.

Have they ever told backers what the actual 76 (or whatever) issues are?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

2/3rd of my posts don't mention you

lol u read your post history

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

doingitwrong posted:

Every week they tell backers how many must-fix issues they have (and behind that I assume—if they are at all competent—lots more issues that aren't must-fix). This week it is 76. Then they do a dog and pony show with one or more developer who are working on problems that generally aren't so severe that they'd be on the 'must fix' list for Alpha 3.0.

Well, it's the most open video game development process ever, so...of course not.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Combat Theory posted:

That was an epic edit. You win this round Thoatse

:argh:

Nah, you made a decent effort post that summed up the way I saw sc go off the rails and where it left me in relation to the project, the win is yours friend.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

doingitwrong posted:

Chris descending on some poor guy's desk, demanding changes, roughly once every half-hour.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I see the tracker has basically settled in on it's baseline of 40K a day routine.

Remarkable, isn't it?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

FMguru posted:

Well, it's the most open video game development process ever, so...of course not.
"The most open development ever!" -- headline of an exclusive German magazine article.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

doingitwrong posted:

All dates at CIG are made up, why do you expect other numbers spewed by them to be any more tangible ? "Must fix" is not a technical term defined anywhere either, and they can change that definition to include or dismiss any issues they want. They can set the standard so low that "Cause CTD on start" is the only criteria for "must fix". Tickets are "Must fix" untill they decide they are not.

Its all marketing for spergnerds who think they are smart. They trick your imagination in supplying the explanaition and details for them so the number will fit your personnal narative for the project. You feel involved, you interact with the brand, all good for them.

We too are a part of CIG marketing. We are here for the lulz, but by providing an adversary on wich to crystalize their fears of "ruining the game" we allow some backers to feel virtuous, fighting evil Goon lies with pure hearthed pledges.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

MoMA, along with Boredgamer, Batgirl, all the whales, all the streamers have no interest in a game or in games.

I watched one of Batgirl's X-Plane videos, I watch a fair amount of flight sim stuff - no passion, no enthusiasm, barely a working knowledge, no excitement.

Boredgamer already said he has no interest in games beyond Star Citizen.

When they stream other games those videos get a fraction of the views, ergo their viewers as Star Citizen fans have no interest in games either.

No Elite Dangerous on Batgirl's channel, she is idealogically opposed to playing another space game.

What's the reason they continue to stay involved? Money?

I'm calling it now as all idealogically driven and nothing whatsoever to do with games or gaming or money.

Take as long as you want.
If you refund you are not welcome.
I don't check on progress despite generating $8k for the project

These guys aren't funding a game and they know it. They are funding some kind of bizarre abstract notion of what CIG represents.

e- just pointing at these guys and calling them dumb is missing so so much of the picture.

I'm late in mentioning this but this post is fantastic - particularly the part I bolded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

aleksendr posted:

We too are a part of CIG marketing. We are here for the lulz, but by providing an adversary on wich to crystalize their fears of "ruining the game" we allow some backers to feel virtuous, fighting evil Goon lies with pure hearthed pledges.

But it's whether it's intentional by CIG, is it an elaborate set-up, specifically designed to generate this cult mentality, with Derek and Goons as the clear 'villains'? If that's the case, It's clearly a scam and everyone has been taken for a ride (including goons to a degree). It also means that there's someone in that company who is far, far smarter than they are letting on.

It cant be Cribblets
Sandi is clearly not the marketer she claims to be, so I can't see that either.

...Creepy Ortwin?