Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Remember that bar quest, the only time Popola and Devola sing together?

Well... not quite. And this is why the beginner warning is "do NOT Google the music".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hey where'd all these onions come from

Why does this keep happening

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

C-Euro posted:

Hey where'd all these onions come from

Why does this keep happening

Because :yokotaro: that's why.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
In almost any other game, "the shades were the real humans all along!!!!!!!!!" would have approximately the same emotional impact and resonance as loss.jpg.

But not in NieR.

Execution is everything.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
My allergies..

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

And that's Ending A! There'll be a brief intermission for at least a week so I can wind down for just a bit and so we can record more footage, but we should be back with the start of the B side before long!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

and time for NieR notes! I said a lot more in my notes than I did in the audio, I think.

Page 14 - Page 15 - Page 16 - Episodes 31-35

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The Something Awful Forums > Games > Let's Play! > My Dad Can Beat Up Your Dad - Let's Play NieR

Looking forward to the other endings because I have a lot of questions about the last few updates.

E: It's not spoilers if we've already seen it in an update, right?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

C-Euro posted:

E: It's not spoilers if we've already seen it in an update, right?

I'm gonna say no, once an update's up, anything from it is fair game for discussion.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm gonna say no, once an update's up, anything from it is fair game for discussion.

I mostly just wanted to make my dumb joke thread title :v:

Also, are we going to get soundtrack updates for these last few videos, or have they all been repeat music tracks and I just don't know it?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 8, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

C-Euro posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Games > Let's Play! > My Dad Can Beat Up Your Dad - Let's Play NieR

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Petition to change the thread title to "Was this really worth it? Let's Play NieR"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's a happy ending!

I mean, all Nier's friends are dead and humanity is doomed to an eternal hell of mindlessly devouring their own bodies.

But Yonah was saved, so... happy!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nier is a game about likeable, decent people doing things that make perfect sense from their perspective.

And then everything ends in tears.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Question for people ITT who've played NieR: Replicant- so Devola called the project to try and save humanity "Project Gestalt". In Japan, Dad-mode NieR is called NieR: Gestalt while Brother-mode NieR is called NieR: Replicant. Does that mean in NieR: Replicant, they refer to the project as "Project Replicant"?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 9, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why did Nier were the eyepatch?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Artix posted:

Petition to change the thread title to "Was this really worth it? Let's Play NieR"
I like the idea of working the term "Dadass" somewhere into the thread title.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

More media could use credits that's just a plain list of the staff and their roles in strict alphabetical order to be honest. Amongst all the really big things I like about this game, that's a small touch I really like.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Good news, everyone! Square is hiring for something Nier-related! Let's look at a few of the job requirements:

quote:

Job Description
【Business Contents】
Scenario production and planning work of Nier related products

«Specific work»
Based on the view of the world of the Near series, you will be responsible for the following.

· Creation of plots of subquest etc and creation of scenario
· Design designation used in the game, such as NPC design designation
· General description of text displayed in the game such as item description

Item descriptions, you say? That sounds intriguing. What else do you have for us?

quote:

Submit the following issue (issue 1).

Please submit a plot of the story "The main character visits a village and falls in love", "Please make it easy for other development staff to understand" and submit.

■ Submission format
 · Number of characters:  Up to 400 characters
 · Output format: PDF
· Other: Please include at least one image (picture, illustration) etc. ※ Please submit it as a separate file separately from your resume / job history. ※ Please understand beforehand that we can not accept any questions about the assignment.

Why, it's a weapon story prompt! So in the spirit of things, we're going to have our own little contest. You have two weeks (that's Wed, October 4th) to compose your own weapon story that follows the rules of the application. This means:

1) It must be about a character who visits a village and falls in love.
2) It should be formatted like all Drakengard/Nier weapon stories - 400 to 800 characters, and in four distinct little chunks.

The winner, as chosen by myself, Argate, and Fae, will get a forums upgrade courtesy of Fae. Good luck! If you need any inspiration, here's a couple examples from us.

Artix posted:

A young maiden came across a quaint country village in her travels. Though she intended to leave the next day, she caught the eye of a villager during a festival.

The two were inseperable, and were quickly wed. Nothing made her happier than the devotion she felt to her husband and children.

One evening, a roaming gang of bandits attacked the village. Though they fought bravely to repel the invaders, her husband and son did not survive the attack.

A few days later, she simply vanished, along with her husband's trusty blade. The only clue was a map with this dagger marking a certain camp...

Argate posted:

A wanderer stopped in a village to rest for a night, weary from his travels. As he was leaving, he was entranced by the most bewitching sight.

A statue of a fair maiden was what captivated him so, and after admiring it from dusk to dawn, he decided to remain by the statue's side.

One day, a terrible storm hit. Unphased, the man ignored the pleas of others to find a safe place to hide. It was the one place he truly felt happy, even while enduring strong gusts and biting rain.

The man was taken aback when the statue shifted slightly from a powerful gale. As the winds grew stronger and threatened to knock over the statue, the man panicked and grabbed it, hoping to keep it upright, but failed and was crushed by his toppled beloved.

SC posted:

I don't remember the last time I left this village. It might have been...10 years ago? 15? I just can't seem to remember.

My love, are you there? She has trouble speaking, you know. That's why I'm here for her, just like I was there for her at the start.

Look, she's smiling at me. She's always smiling. It's a shame we're getting on in the years. She had such lovely hair back then. It's all gone now. That's all right though, I say, I'm just the same.

She can't leave anymore. Neither can I. It's cold and dark and the weight of the earth just bears right down on you, but at least, we're not alone.

Artix fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 20, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I ended up writing a second one after being inspired by SC's.

quote:

I wanted nothing more than a peaceful, tranquil life, until one day, I saw her.

She was a work of art; long, slender, unblemished. My desires got the best of me and I took her hand.

Our love had to be secret, my quiet life would be no more if everyone knew she was with me. Sure, her owner wouldn't part with my love's delicate touch without a fight, but isn't that how all love stories go?

I even bought her a ring! She really does mean a lot to me, but she's gone pale and her bones made an awful creaking noise when I put it on her. Maybe it's time I cut off this relationship and go back to my quiet life.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 20, 2017

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Everyone's been posting these in our discord and they're all really cool, I legitimately can't wait to see what the thread comes up with!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Weapon story entry, may be a bit too dark. Intending from Leonard's point of view:

quote:

As I entered the village I first saw her… She was beautiful as the morning sun. I was enraptured… I found somewhere to stay, that one day I could woo her.

I started to adjust my route deliberately to walk by where she went, just to catch a fleeting glimpse of her.

Her youth and beauty are without parallel. I can’t keep my mind off her.

Alas, they won't allow me to see her again... I must do better... I must be better...

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I feel like now is a good time to mention, before people get confused, that you don't need to reference Drakengard or Nier in these entries at all, we're looking for something that captures the spirit of the weapon stories so you don't need to include characters, events and locations from the games as long as you can nail that tone!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I understood that, just wanted to do a thing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Might as well give it a go. No promises it's worth reading, but at least it's short.

Plowshare posted:

A bandit arrived in a small mountain town, looking for his next victims. He knew from a young age that it was the only way to avoid being a victim himself.

But when he was welcomed inside, he hesitated. The villagers showed him the love he had never known as a child. One woman, especially, caught his eye.

He realized he had been wrong all along, and thanked the gods for the woman who showed him that life was more than he ever imagined.

That was his last thought before she slit his throat. The man’s blood fed the crops, and the villagers had an excellent harvest.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Twisted Wire posted:

She came out of nowhere, and we fell in love just as quickly. She loved what I loved, and I loved what she loved.

Our wedding was picturesque, as was our marriage. It was as though she was made for me.

One day, disaster struck. I rushed to her, but it was too late: all I could do was stand over her shaking body, struggling not to cry.

It was hard, at first, on her more than me. But I moved past it, and healed.

B^U.

I'm sure someone can refine this.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

quote:

The brothers came to town worn, poor, and hungry but were welcomed as family.

In gratitude, each one swore that they would hunt the greatest beast as a trophy.

Consumed by pride and jealousy, one brother slew the other and claimed their prize.

Returning triumphant, he found only ashes and corpses from an attack he wasn't there to protect from.

Not happy with the flow of the last line but there's a lot of "obligatory weapon story twist" I want to cram in there.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I found you, my love.

I will do anything for you, my love.

I will ride to the end of the world for you, my love.

I never saw my love again.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

We're streaming the start of the B Route soon! Come join us at the usual place, https://twitch.tv/chaosargate.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Purified Longing posted:

A weary traveler came upon a lonely village, where he hoped to find some rest.

That night, he heard a clear voice, singing a sad tune. Deep within, it stirred feelings he hadn't felt in years.

Soon, it was all he could think about. He wanted to hear more. Embrace the voice. Heal it's sorrows. Become one!

And so, like many before, he offered his heart to this cursed dagger.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Mother's Remorse posted:

While walking through the empty village, the woman heard the sound of a crying infant. When she found the child, she was overcome with pity, and decided to take him in and raise him as her own.

As the child grew, there was no doubt in his mind that his mother loved him, but he couldn't understand why her face always seemed so sad when she looked at him.

One day, when her son had nearly come of age, the woman sat him down and, with tears in her eyes, told him of her past as an elite assassin and her assignment to eliminate his entire village.

That night, the family's home went up in flames. When the rubble was searched the next morning, though, the remains of three bodies were found, and neighbors reported seeing a mysterious stranger visiting the woman a few days before.

Ending intentionally left open to interpretation.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Slightly late entry, but that's ok. I just wanted to share my silly story.

Lover's Lament posted:

"What is love...?" A young man wondered aloud as he wandered from village to village. He'd only ever known spite and ridicule due to his unfortunate looks.

"Baby don't hurt me" he begged as the woman he had fallen for cruelly laughed at his gnarled visage.

"Don't hurt me..." he sobbed as even her friends started to join in on ridiculing him.

"No more!" He screamed as he coldly gripped a knife and proceeded to slaughter anyone who would laugh at him.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

As it is now Oct 5, submissions for the Weapon Story contest are now closed, so we'll decide on the winner later once we're all available.

As for the actual LP, I've been a bit busy so I haven't been able to sit down and edit, but hopefully I can get back to that soon.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hi this thread isn't dead, I swear! We're going to stream soon and hopefully I can get back to editing this LP soon. Come join us!

https://twitch.tv/chaosargate

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Well, just about saved the thread from getting archived on you - I guess we can call this a NieR miss?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hey remember when this LP was active? Let's try to get that going again.

(Special thanks to my friends Demerine and Silver Falcon for their contributions this episode).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah more depression, let's do this thing.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Woop!

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

Hey remember when this LP was active? Let's try to get that going again.

(Special thanks to my friends Demerine and Silver Falcon for their contributions this episode).

To be honest, no I did not remember that this was a thing, but now I do and it's great to have it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm glad to see this back!

Also, holy poo poo does that opening stinger spoil something like 90% of the game.