Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

26 hours of being awake in Florida sounds like is hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Schlesische posted:

It was, but the Phaeton was a swansong "gently caress it lets push all the boundaries and make the best car I can possibly think of" that eventually became the Veyron.
Piech has been getting pushed out of VAG for some time now, and I don't honestly think both Porsche and Audi would've dropped LMP1 if they hadn't tried to cheat on emissions reports.

Not the Veyron, it was the same platform as the Bentley Continental

Plus the W16 in the Veyron is a 4 bank W based on earlier Bugatti show cars and the Phaeton/Bentley used a 3 bank W12

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 2, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Not the Veyron, it was the same platform as the Bentley Continental

Plus the W16 in the Veyron is a 4 bank W based on earlier Bugatti show cars and the Phaeton/Bentley used a 3 bank W12

I meant the idea underpinning the Phaeton - just make the most insane car they can.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
ah ok, fair enough

e- also I learned that the last Phaeton was built last year :wtc: I haven't seen one in a decade

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've never seen one

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I'm down for the 26 hours of Sebring. Can't wait for the next season when we get the 50 hours of Daytona.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Ahh Labor Day weekend, when I can hear top fuel cars inside my house all weekend long, and I'm still three miles away from Lucas oil raceway. :allears:

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Schlesische posted:

It was, but the Phaeton was a swansong "gently caress it lets push all the boundaries and make the best car I can possibly think of" that eventually became the Veyron.
Piech has been getting pushed out of VAG for some time now, and I don't honestly think both Porsche and Audi would've dropped LMP1 if they hadn't tried to cheat on emissions reports.

Porsche would still be around, for sure, but even if Dieselgate hadn't happened, Audi would still have left the WEC for Formula 1. Piëch hated Bernie Ecclestone and thought F1 was basically just a canned show, and openly said that he was never going to field a VAG team while Ecclestone was running it. Then he got forced out after his coup attempt, and the VAG board immediately said "Why did he have two teams in the WEC? There's a bigger profit from F1!" and were basically in the process of signing the paperwork to buy Toro Rosso when Dieselgate came down on them. So LMP1H might have gone on longer as just Porsche-Toyota, but given that Audi was basically the WEC's marketing arm with all the millions they spent on promotions, journalist hospitality, signs, videos, etc., we still would've probably would've seen the LMP1H star fade regardless in the face of a resurgent Ecclestone-free F1 with a furious Mercedes-Audi rivalry and the ascension of the DPi spec in IMSA.

I hope someone writes a Robert A. Caro-type book about Dieselgate.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

So the V8 Supercars are doing a retro race in a few week, and the Nissan team are doing this: https://nissanmotorsport.com.au/blog-categories/blog-quisque-gravida-purus-vitae/184-caruso-to-race-in-calsonic-retro-livery/

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Owns. Too bad it's in an *vomits* Altima.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 4, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

iospace posted:

I've never seen one

full disclosure, I worked at an auto auction with a VW account

only place I ever saw one

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
so I just drove to the smoke shop to get cigarettes and I saw a VIP'ed out Phaeton

:negative:

what are the odds

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

VikingSkull posted:

so I just drove to the smoke shop to get cigarettes and I saw a VIP'ed out Phaeton

:negative:

what are the odds

You're more likely to develop lung, throat and oral cancer from your smoking than seeing a Phaeton.

Go buy a lottery ticket.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
the camber on it was hilarious

I didn't even know VIP was still a thing, VW fans are atrocious

it had a roof rack and everything

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

6 Hours of Mexico was really dull and the talk around the revised '18-'19 WEC schedule was more interesting than anything that happened during the race

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Listening to Midweek Motorsport, if you're at all interested in the WEC "super season" then it's a must-listen. They have interviews with both the head of the ACO and the head of IMSA, and while there's a loooot to take in, one point is that the Sebring double-headers will not be twin 12-hour races. Scott Atherton with IMSA was very insistent that there is one 12 Hours of Sebring, it will not be a combined race so therefore the WEC race will be shorter (or have a tricky name). It also sounds like the details we have are very much so the first draft of things to come, so expect updates and changes in the next 1.5 years ahead of that Sebring weekend.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

harperdc posted:

Listening to Midweek Motorsport, if you're at all interested in the WEC "super season" then it's a must-listen. They have interviews with both the head of the ACO and the head of IMSA, and while there's a loooot to take in, one point is that the Sebring double-headers will not be twin 12-hour races. Scott Atherton with IMSA was very insistent that there is one 12 Hours of Sebring, it will not be a combined race so therefore the WEC race will be shorter (or have a tricky name). It also sounds like the details we have are very much so the first draft of things to come, so expect updates and changes in the next 1.5 years ahead of that Sebring weekend.

I've got a feeling if Toyota leaves after Le Mans or Fuji, they'll BoP the P1 cars to DPi and just have a big field for a joint WEC/IMSA race. It's so far out from 2019 Sebring that they could change their mind on it and say welp WEC field is small so lets just push them with IMSA and not have a mass suicide ritual in the infield by alcohol poisoning. Year and a half ago we weren't talking about Audi or Porsche being gone and WEC looking very strong. Could go many ways and early days for what this super season.

How many cars can we fit in the Sebring pits?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

BMB5150 posted:

How many cars can we fit in the Sebring pits?

Entries were capped to 63 cars in 2013. That was the last ALMS race there and also the last appearance of the Audis at Sebring.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

WindyMan posted:

Entries were capped to 63 cars in 2013. That was the last ALMS race there and also the last appearance of the Audis at Sebring.

Be a tight fit with 55 cars at Daytona this year so add 3-4 P1s, GTE would add a few more and wonder if Ford and Porsche compresses their driver lineups. I could see it happening but hard to say and if this is first draft stuff, sounds like ti'll change a bunch of times by Spa next year and hell by this time next year they're still changing things.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

They tried a combined WEC/IMSA Sebring before. People speak about it like it's a four-letter word.

And one of the interesting notes from the WEC side of things is the discussion about Toyota and how the rules and changes are aimed to try and keep them in the full championship.

You can find the episode here and it's worth the time.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/24hoursoflemans/status/907614703341461504
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I can't wait for 2019 when they abandon it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Aeroconcept screams "I'm an M6 GT3, but different"

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

That car looks great.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Basticle posted:

With auto racing, BMW always has a great start and never follow through when it matters.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
how excited is everyone for Sandown, the most boring endurance race of the year

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Minto Took posted:

With auto racing, BMW always has a great start and never follow through when it matters.

of all their cars to win something big, it had to be the boring-rear end BMW V12 LMR that did it

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Kinda excited to see how DJR/Mclaughlin screw up this time to hand victory to 888/Whincup.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Formula E has added a support series. It's spec Jaguar I-Pace crossover racecars.

never stop, you crazy diamonds :allears:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So stoked for some good SUV racing.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Basticle posted:

I can't wait for a full-page ad in the back of Autoweek celebrating their 3rd--in-class result at one of the Le Manses next year

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Is that on this weekend? There's been gently caress all advertising of it, either on TV or social media.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That M8 GTE is the loving tits, looks pretty amazing. Glad at least the GTE side of WEC/IMSA is getting stronger and stronger.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I looks quite good, but it's basically an iteration of thje M6 GT3 with an 8series silouette. BMW themselves hinted already at this, that the 8series/M8 road version will look quite a bit different.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a GTE adaption of the still very young M6 GT3, with the silouette of an M8 put on.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Good news for people on PS Vue, CBS Sports Network just went live on there today. So now you can watch the various BTCC/DTM/etc. racing series that they show.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

gret posted:

Good news for people on PS Vue, CBS Sports Network just went live on there today. So now you can watch the various BTCC/DTM/etc. racing series that they show.

And it's on the Core tier so one doesn't have to spend extra money on the sports package.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Oh poo poo yes, lotta stuff I wanted to watch is on there

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Double Post!

That means you can watch the second GT/GTA round of Pirelli World Challenge from Sonoma, Sunday at 3pm. Rest of it's all on Motortrend on demand.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

tuo posted:

I looks quite good, but it's basically an iteration of thje M6 GT3 with an 8series silouette. BMW themselves hinted already at this, that the 8series/M8 road version will look quite a bit different.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a GTE adaption of the still very young M6 GT3, with the silouette of an M8 put on.

Silhouette cars are not allowed in GTE or GTLM. Perhaps you can point me at where BMW says such a thing? I have a very very hard time believing the other OEMs would grant BMW a waiver to do such a thing.

Also that car looks a lot like the 8 Series concept I saw at Car Week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Silhouette cars are not allowed in GTE or GTLM. Perhaps you can point me at where BMW says such a thing? I have a very very hard time believing the other OEMs would grant BMW a waiver to do such a thing.

Also that car looks a lot like the 8 Series concept I saw at Car Week.

I think their point is that the M8 doesn't look too different from the M6, which, eh. I'm sure it's different underneath, plus takes further advantage of the aerodynamics rules.

• Locked thread