Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

DandyLion posted:

Its practically an SCP post.

Anyways its fake. Number stations aren't used like that (though you gotta love the creativity).

Yeah, anyone monitoring that number station for its intended purpose would probably already know the phone number. It wouldn't need to be stated in the transmission. Nice try though, radio goon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Yeah, anyone monitoring that number station for its intended purpose would probably already know the phone number. It wouldn't need to be stated in the transmission. Nice try though, radio goon!

The entire purpose of a numbers station is that it is impossible to decrypt without the one time pad and very, very difficult to trace the source - there are ones running from the cold war that people have been unable to track down where they're coming from. By providing a phone number, you're not only braking the encryption, but giving an endpoint on a wholly traceable telephone. So yeah, amusing as it was, there is no ounce of truth to it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I don't want this to turn into yet another "gently caress Trump" thread but I'm really scared of what's going to happen to my family.

I came to the US as a kid, my parents brought me here some Laos when I was 12. They came here illegally because they had no money but wanted a better life, and they have worked their entire lives to contribute to the US and their family. I have been here for 17 years. I graduated high school, I joined the military and was honorably discharged, and I graduated college. I'm an engineer for Boeing.

I am a "dreamer" - allowed in this country due to DACA. I am in the process of becoming a US citizen. But it's not a magic wand - it takes time and money. I basically have to prove that I can do a job no current US citizen can do. I can then get my job to pay 10 thousand dollars for my legal fees, then I can get a Visa. If that works, in about 5 years I'll get my green card. 5 more years and I might become a citizen.

It's terrifying and depressing that despite having a good job, paying taxes, serving in the military, learning about the US, and voting in every election - I might be gone soon. Just because my parents wanted their son to grow up in the US.

My confession is I would love to meet every inbred hick who says "MAGA! Deport the illegals!" And ask them if they could live my life of the lives of my parents. Working hard, paying taxes, learning the history of this great country, serving in the military, and truly loving this country because of what it represents - hope for all. Too bad that hope is going away fast.

If you work at Boeing, your job should absolutely help you through the process. One of my teammates had visa issues last year and the company let her work from Canada for a year while they straightened it out for her.

And heeeere's the FLIP SIDE :ghost:

quote:

I'm a boogeyman for a lot of people right now. I'm a Republican who voted for Trump and loves everything he's doing.

Just now, he ended DACA. This is a good thing. A bunch of illegals will be gone, no longer taking jobs. Which Americans will now take. People say "ohhhh these jobs are so low paying and awful, no American wants them". Ever haze of supply and demand? The companies will pay more for American labor, simple as that. Because they will have to. The American dream can happy again, but we have to get rid of drains on the economy like "dreamers" and other illegal immigrants.

I'm also not a big fan of White Pride suddenly being a bad thing. Immigrants get all kinds of days to celebrate. Why can't I, just once, get a day about my culture? American culture? We have everything other cultures have - delicious food like fried chicken, hot dogs, burgers. Drinks like beer and lemonade. Country music like Toby Keith and Blake Shelton.

And before some smartass goon says "duhhhh hot dogs are from Germany" - they were created in America for the World Fair. Almost like things made in America are American, and not just gook or wop food masquerading as real food.

gently caress liberals, I don't know what mental disease you have. Life is dog eat dog and you need to back the Big Dog (Trump and the USA) if you wanna survive.

(a) "White" is not an ethnicity or culture and being proud of being white means nothing. Whatever your actual ethnicity is (I'm guessing WASP? You have to be a WASP if you're that racist against other white people), there are probably plenty of events celebrating it if you bother to look for them.
(b) DACA kids were as a rule educated in America like the first confessor, I don't know what you think they are exactly :confused:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that second guy has to be a troll

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

fruit on the bottom posted:

Haha, I would love a story about one of those secret black ops agencies and about the accountants who need to get people to fill out expense reports

laundry files is Not Good, sorry

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL at the idea that multinational billion dollar corporations will pay more for American labor when literally the entire mid/southwest has been built on the backs of $50 day laborers from across the border since at least the 50s (before that is was Irish and Chinese and before that it was SLAVES).

"Paying for American Labor" is just not an option when it's 5x-10x as expensive as outsourcing to Mexico/China/India and further we're already seeing massive failures of our agricultural centers because all these deportations are leaving massive fields of crops rotting in the sun because no one in our country wants to work 12 hours in the hot sun for $5.50 an hour.

Like obviously Trump fesh could be a baiting troll but unfortunately I've learned from the LoL thread is that the difference between a real Trump fan and an ironic Trump fan is... one believes in being a racist rear end in a top hat and the other thinks being a racist rear end in a top hat is funny!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I know that confession isn't real because if it was they would have proudly posted it in one of the Trump threads.

"Ever haze of supply and demand?"

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Doctor Malaver posted:

Hot women have much more dating options than friends and they have even fewer male friends. They don't tend to risk losing a good friend to get a date/sex. As for meeting their hot girlfriends... I'd rather count on your hot guy friend (gay or straight) doing that.
It seems like it's a uniquely female thing to have to deal with. Blokes never really have to second guess whether their mates are actually their mates or not, at least not to anywhere like the extent that I imagine women have to. It must get pretty depressing for women to have to go through the rigmarole over and over again of befriending a guy, thinking he's "not like other guys" - he's a true friend and nothing more, until such time as he actually reveals he sortof is like every other guy they've come across, worse even because they weren't even upfront and she'd invested all that time & trust into yet another doomed not-friend relationship. Ah well.

And regarding that fesh in particular - if she is really invested in the friendship then losing it would probably be a bit deal for her, because genuine guy friends aren't easy to come by. There's like the slimmest chance in the world that everything goes that guys way if he confesses his feelings, and even in the absolute best case scenario at least two other people + kids are devastated.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

fruit on the bottom posted:

I know that confession isn't real because if it was they would have proudly posted it in one of the Trump threads.

I can't help but think that whoever submitted it is a loving moron anyway. Like, why even bother with something so obvious that it won't get a reaction?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Both of those posts sounds like some LARP fantasy of a D&D dweller with no actual real life experience beyond going with their parents to costco to get more cheesy puffs.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The second Trump one is definetly bait. If he was really trying he would have thrown something about Trump being such an amazing businessman that makes great business decisions.

I have some IRL friends that tell me this whenever Trump makes a decision they like. The best was when it was thought Trump was going to fire Jeff Sessions and a friend told me Trump was doing that because Trump understood legalizing weed is good for business.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I called the number from that post and it's been busy all day. Guys, I'm beginning to think that maybe it was the first nonreal confession we've got. OR! the government has already changed it. :ninja:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

soy posted:

Both of those posts sounds like some LARP fantasy of a D&D dweller with no actual real life experience beyond going with their parents to costco to get more cheesy puffs.

Yeah the first one being a non citizen "voting in every election"

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Second dude is deffo a loving troll who has no idea what kinds of jobs the majority of DACA users have.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Scyantific posted:

Second dude is deffo a loving troll who has no idea what kinds of jobs the majority of DACA users have.

Most people against DACA probably don't.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Gonna go out on a limb and say that the fessor for DACA and anti-DACA is the same fessor in which case the troll is p good and most people are missing it. Well played, I redact my previous statement about it being lazy trolling.

Given the recent lack of confessions it's way too convenient that two DACA related confessions come in despite it being a hot topic in the news atm.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think you're probably right actually

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Durzel posted:

It seems like it's a uniquely female thing to have to deal with. Blokes never really have to second guess whether their mates are actually their mates or not, at least not to anywhere like the extent that I imagine women have to. It must get pretty depressing for women to have to go through the rigmarole over and over again of befriending a guy, thinking he's "not like other guys" - he's a true friend and nothing more, until such time as he actually reveals he sortof is like every other guy they've come across, worse even because they weren't even upfront and she'd invested all that time & trust into yet another doomed not-friend relationship. Ah well.

It's not so clear cut. You can befriend someone you are attracted to and months or years later when situation changes (you become single, or the other person does, or you simply start developing deeper feelings for them) you reveal that. It doesn't mean that all that time you were faking friendship.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I had one of my best friends come out and then declare his love for me once. It was a little awkward.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
That first one raises a question for me (not a US citizen). How can someone who is an illegal immigrant join and serve in the military? It sounds impossible to me. What country would just let people rock up from wherever and enlist in an organisation full of secets and security? I can't imagine that "We lived here ages and I went to school here" gets you past the ID checks either. Or is the US military really that slack?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Ratzap posted:

That first one raises a question for me (not a US citizen). How can someone who is an illegal immigrant join and serve in the military? It sounds impossible to me. What country would just let people rock up from wherever and enlist in an organisation full of secets and security? I can't imagine that "We lived here ages and I went to school here" gets you past the ID checks either. Or is the US military really that slack?

It's more that serving in the military helps you get citizenship. It's not a garuntee but it helps expedite the paperwork. I knew a few Australians that did that. Not sure if being an illegal changes that but knowing the military I would assume they don't give a gently caress. Your average grunt doesn't deal with secrets and security clearances are notorious for how easy they are to get. They don't usually dig too deep and just take the person's s word.

Service garuntees citizenship:patriot: (usually)

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I thought serving in the US military was a path to citizenship, actually. It's like the French foreign legion: the shittiest job in the house for X number of years and when you come out you're a citizen. I may be wrong on both counts.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I thought serving in the US military was a path to citizenship, actually. It's like the French foreign legion: the shittiest job in the house for X number of years and when you come out you're a citizen. I may be wrong on both counts.

incorrect.

my coworker had to apply for citizenship normally despite being a 5 year vet.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
lol that is such a dick move

"hey go fight a war for us.
Okay thanks for spending the last 4 years in Afghanistan now go home"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If anyone cares here's how it actually works https://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-sheets/naturalization-through-military-service-fact-sheet

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

huh.

somethings up with my coworker then. :tinfoil:

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

sneakyfrog posted:

incorrect.

my coworker had to apply for citizenship normally despite being a 5 year vet.

Yeah, I used to work at a private prison that housed illegal aliens, and a couple of the inmates were veterans. They were in the middle of trying to get their citizenship before they got caught doing whatever crime and as a result they were just going to be deported despite their military service. I always thought that was pretty hosed up.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

It is. You can sign a contract and after a 6 year tour you get it.

Not that there aren't 50 different programs but I have woeked with plenty of people that did this.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Ratzap posted:

What's more hosed up is that citizens of our protectorates and territories may also enlist and serve, but do not get the full rights of American citizens. It's beyond hosed up, actually.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Nocheez posted:

What's more hosed up is that citizens of our protectorates and territories may also enlist and serve, but do not get the full rights of American citizens. It's beyond hosed up, actually.

Yeah Britain does (or did) that too with the Gurkhas. Welp, learned something today but then again, if he says he served surely it would make sense to do one of the contracts. Then again it's most likely fiction anyway.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Skipping: someone going into way too much detail about his fantasies about Minions. Maybe I'll post it tomorrow; it's probably :nws:

quote:

I don't like sports. Just plain don't. I don't crawl up people's asses when they talk about sports or enjoy them, I just find it all dull. Back when I was a kid I had to play baseball year round. Fall ball involves a lot of double header games. I got so bored during single games, two was a nightmare. I use to have this metagame where I'd hum a different Nintendo song to myself depending on the strikes and outs. The Mario starman song was saved for when there were 2 outs and 2 strikes.

Anyway the confession is that in the fall, I would try to get out of every game. I would run to the bathroom and try and gag myself. I'd jam my fingers down my throat, but I could rarely get it past dry heaving. At worst it was a chunk or two of toast. I once followed my mom for a solid hour saying "don't make me go, don't make me go" until she finally broke down and started sobbing. I still had to go to the game. Eventually I broke my leg and never had to play sports again.

Personally my parents stopped making me play youth baseball when it became obvious I was miserable at it; you probably shouldn't have to follow your mom around begging her to let you quit :shrug:

quote:

I teach high school. This will be light on specifics because while I can conceptualize that I'm an rear end in a top hat, I really don't want to see any consequences beyond getting dressed down by other assholes on the internet.

I teach English. I really enjoy literature, and despite what I'm about to write I do enjoy my students. I like to see them learn, and my favorite moment is when I saw a guy recognize the some of the deeper feminist messages in Barbara Kingsolver's The Rufuge. By all accounts this kid was a slightly sexist "dumb jock" type but I swear it was like loving Oscar-bait when he was able to read past the book about some bird sanctuary and see what the author really was trying to convey (in my opinion, of course).

So to the confession. I had a kid three semesters ago, and because I've read the Reddit threads I am aware of how bad it can be when someone is really into nerd internet poo poo. This kid was not that. A little nerdy, spouting a bit too much internet culture for my taste, but otherwise exceedingly average.

Except over time, he bugged the poo poo out of me. It wasn't anything catastrophic, or something moment when he blurted out he loves anime titties, but just stupid little muttered one-liners. This, combined with a lack of ability to read subtext, just drove me crazy.

So I started loving with his grades. I backed myself up through careful paperwork on presentation analysis, and when it came to assignments I would grade just a little bit harder. By midterms he rightfully would have had a low B, but thanks to me he had a low C instead. Then came the midterm. It was multiple choice, with three different versions to prevent cheating, all with different colors. I gave everybody a test, but I had prepared a special one for him. It was the appropriate color, but had all the answers in a different order, matching a different version. So when he marked his Scantron as "Version A", he was really getting graded against Version B.

He tanked it. I obviously covered my tracks by collecting the exams, and no one was allowed to write on them. No way to confirm which version you had except color.

He was frantic in a private meeting; he just "couldn't understand how he had done so bad". Well it's "poorly", you idiot, and I can't tell you how awesome I felt watching him break down in tears. I almost recorded it on my phone.

I graded him normally on the rest of the assignments, and I think he might have been able to pass if I didn't gently caress him again on the final. He was really sobbing, then, and I've never enjoyed myself more. He failed, because "there was nothing I [could] do". I laughed my rear end off the minute he left my office.

Since then I've had worse internet geeks but no one has ever for a second made me feel like that stupid kid did. I think it's because I saw a bit of high school me in him, and so I was attempting some sort of vicarious self-harm? I dunno. Anyway I never got caught and likely never will. That's my story.

Why are your midterms Scantron tests :confused:

Anyway, hope you enjoyed possibly loving up some kid's life permanently because he referenced nerd poo poo a little too much for you

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe it's because I'm not a teacher, but I thought scantron issued tests were all pregenerated to avoid a teacher/student from loving it up. Any teacher goon wanna weigh in?

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010

loquacius posted:

Anyway, hope you enjoyed possibly loving up some kid's life permanently because he referenced nerd poo poo a little too much for you

its highschool dog, any college will take a ged these days espec with the government throwing money at them in the form of subsidized loans. I seriously doubt this kid was going to harvard and what the hell is with the goon hyperbole about highschool anyway.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
yeah any school. im sure that USC gonna let the kid in with GED and extracurricular as anime club recorder

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Don't go to college. College is a sucker bet unless you can get through it with no debt at the end. Ain't no one never learned no nothing from college that would teach no one anything anyways!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fool and the World posted:

its highschool dog, any college will take a ged these days espec with the government throwing money at them in the form of subsidized loans. I seriously doubt this kid was going to harvard and what the hell is with the goon hyperbole about highschool anyway.

Even if this weren't a massive oversimplification, there's more at stake here than the kid's GPA

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To the first guy, I feel your pain. For three years I had to do soccer. I hated soccer, I had no clue how the game worked, I wasn't competitive and I wasn't athletic. But my dad made it to the provincial championship as a teen so I had to do it. So I do it for three years with my dad occasionally watching the odd game and not really involved, it's very obvious that I hate it by the end so I get to quit.

What rubbed salt in the wound was by that time my sister is the same age I was when I started so now she has to do it, but now my dad gets real involved and makes a concerted effort to help her improve and she gets better as time goes by. Neither of us play soccer now but it did piss me off for a while that he just blindly pushed me into that poo poo and got pissed that I wasn't enjoying it cause I sucked when he could've probably put some effort into teaching me that may have made the experience more enjoyable.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not a teacher, but I thought scantron issued tests were all pregenerated to avoid a teacher/student from loving it up. Any teacher goon wanna weigh in?
Pre-generated from what, exactly? Most decent teachers have enough of their own style that they're going to make up their own test for The Grapes of Wrath instead of going to Bob's Discount Test Generation Barn to pick one up.

We're not talking about standardized tests here; we're talking about ordinary class tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

limp_cheese posted:

The second Trump one is definetly bait. If he was really trying he would have thrown something about Trump being such an amazing businessman that makes great business decisions.

Also doesn't understand the concept of a "WORLD's" Fair. People from all over the world set up shop at the World's Fair to expose ignorant Americans to new cuisine and culture, not for idiot Americans to think we invented everything and anything that touched US soil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpOQE5KJJds

lollin' at the self-appointed boogeyman title too. Goons really think too much of themselves sometimes.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 9, 2017