Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

That hat looks great, keyboard vomit!

I made this cardigan for my sister's 50th birthday, I had totally forgot she was turning 50 this year, and I didn't think to ask her what she wanted until the end of May. She really wanted the Gretekofte by KnittingInna, so I just had to knit like crazy for a month to get it finished in time. Luckily, I made it, and it fit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

that's gorgeous, great work!

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015
oh wow, that is so pretty, your details and finishing is so polished.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Midnight Sun posted:

That hat looks great, keyboard vomit!

I made this cardigan for my sister's 50th birthday, I had totally forgot she was turning 50 this year, and I didn't think to ask her what she wanted until the end of May. She really wanted the Gretekofte by KnittingInna, so I just had to knit like crazy for a month to get it finished in time. Luckily, I made it, and it fit!

AWESOME!!!

I finished a VERY BRIGHT thing:

Bright Cowl by effika, on Flickr
Ravelry Link

Pattern is That Nice Stitch. I love how easy it is to do on autopilot. The yarn is Manos del Uruguay Alegrķa in Locura Fluor. It is for my mom's birthday, and she LOVES bright colors. I went to the yarn store and said, "I need your brightest skein of yarn!" This did not disappoint.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Hello knit thread! I just finished my first pair of socks. It's a basic sock pattern using Hedgehog Fibres Sock Yarn, the color is Copper Penny. I wear knit socks on a near daily basis, so I'm excited to add them to the collection!

The next pair I'll likely increase the ribbing down the leg and the yarn will probably be Savvy Skeins, color: Doctor Strange :ssh:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Smilla Cardi

Pattern by Pickles Oslo

I used Drops Air instead of Pickles Cozy, love this yarn! It's so light and soft.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I'm on a real tear of finishing stuff lately, which is good (and unusual). I have this awful habit of starting something, getting 1/4 done, and then shoving it in a closet for like a year and a half. And I wonder why I can never find any needles the right size.

I made some socks:

Pattern is Bora, from the book Op-Art Socks, which is a super awesome book. Yarn is handspun. These are very cushy and thick, because the whole thing is basically ribbed, and I love them.

And a shawl:

Pattern is Rock the Kasbah, and yarn is also handspun. It's super, super duper big, like I can't hold the two corners in my hands and hold it out, so it's wider than I am tall. It's probably 6 feet wide or so.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I'm on a real tear of finishing stuff lately, which is good (and unusual). I have this awful habit of starting something, getting 1/4 done, and then shoving it in a closet for like a year and a half. And I wonder why I can never find any needles the right size.

I made some socks:

Pattern is Bora, from the book Op-Art Socks, which is a super awesome book. Yarn is handspun. These are very cushy and thick, because the whole thing is basically ribbed, and I love them.

And a shawl:

Pattern is Rock the Kasbah, and yarn is also handspun. It's super, super duper big, like I can't hold the two corners in my hands and hold it out, so it's wider than I am tall. It's probably 6 feet wide or so.

Nice! Cools socks. I love big shawls that I can wrap around myself like a blanket. Looks great!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I made some socks:

And a shawl:

I love your color choices on these, they're so good.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Hi all, I've been spending all my posting time on Ravelry but decided to check back in!! Is anyone going to the California Wool Show coming up in Sep? I wanna go buy some fleeces and it'll be my first time at the show.

Some recent knits and spins ( do we still have a spinning thread?)

Martinique Beach Cowl by Fiona Alice

Sango tee from Amirisu

My sweater spin, superwash merino/merino/silk from Nest Fiber Studio

effika
Jun 19, 2005

jomiel posted:

Hi all, I've been spending all my posting time on Ravelry but decided to check back in!! Is anyone going to the California Wool Show coming up in Sep? I wanna go buy some fleeces and it'll be my first time at the show.

Some recent knits and spins ( do we still have a spinning thread?)

Martinique Beach Cowl by Fiona Alice

Sango tee from Amirisu

My sweater spin, superwash merino/merino/silk from Nest Fiber Studio

Your stuff is always so good! I love that yarn you spun.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

I am going through the thread after not checking in on it for awhile.

These are amazing! I think these would make amazing pot holders or cloth trivets. Thank you for sharing these.

Time to dust off the needles for Christmas gifts!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Pickles' Garland Dress in Drops Air

I'm not really crazy about Pickles' patterns, I've only knit two of them, but I've had to adjust the pattern a lot both times. Both sleeves and lenght of the dress were ridicilously short in the pattern, I had to knit about 10 cm longer. I also adjusted the neck, and made it in garter stitch instead of rib.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

OldNorthBridge posted:

I am going through the thread after not checking in on it for awhile.

These are amazing! I think these would make amazing pot holders or cloth trivets. Thank you for sharing these.

Time to dust off the needles for Christmas gifts!

Oh hey, thanks! That's exactly what I make them for, actually. The original design are afghan squares, but gently caress sewing together a ton of knitted pieces. While recovering from hip surgery (and high out of my mind on pain meds), to learn to double knit, I started making them for my mom as potholders and trivets because she always asks me to knit them for her and I can't just knit squares all the time. She has a stack of these suckers.

These are all from the GeekAlong project:
My mom was a Sonic fiend back in the day, she got a kick out of this one:

This little guy got borked up when I decided to see what happens when you wrap every stitch most of the way through (hint: it fucks up your gauge):

For these I just GISed flower motifs and knit them as DK. I'd love to credit designers but I couldn't find patterns anywhere, just orphaned images.

Yesterday I just finished my third(?) That Nice Stitch for my sister (she chose the yarn):

I'm in love with this:

Midnight Sun posted:

Made this for my sister. Pattern is Rauma 233-3.

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.
Hi knit thread! It's been a while. This year so far has been dominated by a few much larger projects than i'm used to working on (and a FFXIV-fueled hiatus for a while >_>), but the biggest one was just finished!

My oldest sister and i schemed about making a baby blanket for our new niece, which our other sister had earlier this year. Oldest sister picked out the pattern and bought the yarn, i knitted up the squares, and this past weekend we sewed them together. I really like how this turned out! This is Vivid in a bunch of Cascade Yarns superwash colors.

Also i made some socks! My sister got me a sock blank for christmas so i made myself some socks out of it.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

If you could knit a sweater in any yarn, cost be damned what would it be?

I am half way through a sweater in Tosh Vintage which I got a good deal on from WEBS when they came to Vogue Knitting Live. But now I am addicted to making myself nice sweaters, so I wonder what should be next.

I also know I will get immediate sweater fatigue the second I begin the second sleeve so I will have plenty of time to save up for the next batch of yarn.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Such a good question! I would do it in Wollmeise. It's actually pretty affordable, I just really don't have the patience. I wouldn't go for any Tosh . . . the colors are absolutely gorgeous, but there are way too many dye issues in addition to not great durability. I've definitely fallen for it before, though, it just looks so good!

Protip: to avoid second-thing fatigue, you can knit the sleeves two-at-a-time.

Everyone's projects look incredible! Midnight Sun, it is INHUMAN that you did that in a month!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

QuietMisdreavus posted:

Hi knit thread! It's been a while. This year so far has been dominated by a few much larger projects than i'm used to working on (and a FFXIV-fueled hiatus for a while >_>), but the biggest one was just finished!

My oldest sister and i schemed about making a baby blanket for our new niece, which our other sister had earlier this year. Oldest sister picked out the pattern and bought the yarn, i knitted up the squares, and this past weekend we sewed them together. I really like how this turned out! This is Vivid in a bunch of Cascade Yarns superwash colors.

Also i made some socks! My sister got me a sock blank for christmas so i made myself some socks out of it.

All of these are swell! I like the idea of sock blanks; I'll have to find some. Is Etsy the place for those?

HungryMedusa posted:

Probably something in fingering weight or laceweight, but the time cost would be more prohibitive than the materials cost for me! I've been meaning to try Malabrigo's sock yarn so maybe in that? I tend to prefer solids or gently variegated for my sweaters/cardigans. I get hot very easily, despite being cold-natured, so I prefer sweaters on the lighter side.

If I didn't care about warmth, I'd probably do one in Lorna's Laces Cloudgate. I'm almost finished using it for a THICK pair of socks-- chunky weight on 2's-- and I've really enjoyed knitting with it. That sweater would knit up quickly, too!

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

HungryMedusa posted:

I am half way through a sweater in Tosh Vintage which I got a good deal on from WEBS when they came to Vogue Knitting Live. But now I am addicted to making myself nice sweaters, so I wonder what should be next.

I also know I will get immediate sweater fatigue the second I begin the second sleeve so I will have plenty of time to save up for the next batch of yarn.

Anne Whateley posted:

Such a good question! I would do it in Wollmeise. It's actually pretty affordable, I just really don't have the patience. I wouldn't go for any Tosh . . . the colors are absolutely gorgeous, but there are way too many dye issues in addition to not great durability. I've definitely fallen for it before, though, it just looks so good!

Protip: to avoid second-thing fatigue, you can knit the sleeves two-at-a-time.

Everyone's projects look incredible! Midnight Sun, it is INHUMAN that you did that in a month!

effika posted:

Probably something in fingering weight or laceweight, but the time cost would be more prohibitive than the materials cost for me! I've been meaning to try Malabrigo's sock yarn so maybe in that? I tend to prefer solids or gently variegated for my sweaters/cardigans. I get hot very easily, despite being cold-natured, so I prefer sweaters on the lighter side.

If I didn't care about warmth, I'd probably do one in Lorna's Laces Cloudgate. I'm almost finished using it for a THICK pair of socks-- chunky weight on 2's-- and I've really enjoyed knitting with it. That sweater would knit up quickly, too!

My shop carries all three of those! :)

In terms of pure comfort I'd probably go with something like Woolfolk Tynd/Sno

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Thanks! I always feel like I'm knitting so slowly, because all my friends (who knit) are hyper fast knitters and churn out a knee length cardigan with stranded patterns all over in like a week. But they are either single and childless or unemployed with teenage kids and have all the time in the world to knit when they please. I mostly just knit at work (I work nights), when it's slow and I'm not too tired to do stranded knitting.

My favorite sweater yarn for stranded work is 50/50 wool/alpaca, (which I've used for this and this). It's very soft, knits up beautifully and keeps it shape very well in big projects. I also like merino wool, but that's better for smaller stuff like kid's and baby clothes, because it can sag if it's knit too loosely. Very good if you think wool is too itchy though, as it's very smooth against the skin.

When choosing yarn for a project, it really depends on what you want the finished look to be like. Merino gives a very "clear" and smooth look, while alpaca is slightly fuzzier. It's fun to change things up if you want your project to have a different look.

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.

effika posted:

All of these are swell! I like the idea of sock blanks; I'll have to find some. Is Etsy the place for those?

I guess so! This particular one was from WIPyarns, and it looks like they do sock blanks as a seasonal thing. (They have some fall/halloween ones up right now.) Otherwise, i'm not too sure - i haven't done much searching about it myself.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Thanks for the yarn ideas, guys. There are so many yarnsto try! As Anne Whatley mentioned, the Tosh I'm using now is a dye mess. It's a darker color and bleeds all over me. My fingers are blue from knitting last night even after a shower. If I wasn't in vacation with nothing else to work on, I would have pre washed the yarn before winding it. I'm destined to be blue for now.

Midnight Sun - your suggestion of 50/50 wool alpaca reminded me I picked up 5 skiens of Berrocco Ultra Alpaca like 3 years ago. It's very orange and I think I will try to overdye it, then see what goes with the new color and go from there.

Here is my method of winding a center pull ball on a nostpinde at lunch at work

And my blue fingats, especially under the nails

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Honestly, it doesn't matter if you prewash, use vinegar, use synthrapol, heat, anything. They get those gorgeous colors by using literally more dye than the yarn can absorb, so a lot of their skeins have dye that just won't set regardless. It's such a shame because those colors are gorgeous, but the yarn is functionally unusable. If your needles are porous, it'll dye them too, I hosed up really good needles that way. When you wear it, your bra and your skin will be blue.

Midnight Sun posted:

Thanks! I always feel like I'm knitting so slowly, because all my friends (who knit) are hyper fast knitters and churn out a knee length cardigan with stranded patterns all over in like a week. But they are either single and childless or unemployed with teenage kids and have all the time in the world to knit when they please.
Haha, I have no kids and live alone, and that would seriously take a year for me to do! I think I'm a relatively fast knitter, but finding the time is so rough.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

HungryMedusa posted:

Here is my method of winding a center pull ball on a nostpinde at lunch at work

And my blue fingats, especially under the nails

Nice winding spot! (And Buddy Jesus)

Anne Whatley- My #6 Denises are dyed a light orange thanks to some Koigu. I would be a lot more upset if they were pretty wooden ones.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Honestly, it doesn't matter if you prewash, use vinegar, use synthrapol, heat, anything. They get those gorgeous colors by using literally more dye than the yarn can absorb, so a lot of their skeins have dye that just won't set regardless. It's such a shame because those colors are gorgeous, but the yarn is functionally unusable. If your needles are porous, it'll dye them too, I hosed up really good needles that way. When you wear it, your bra and your skin will be blue.

That's just not ok. I dye some of my own yarn and have never, ever had that result even as a beginner. Why do people keep buying this yarn?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It looks really, really good! Tosh was one of the first indie dyers and one of the first offering stuff like semisolids, and it built a big reputation when it was one of very few indies around. If it were launched as an etsy shop today, it would probably go nowhere because holy poo poo, yarn you can't use. Although I don't think they're the only offenders, just the worst and most popular imo.

If you already have some you want to use, metal needles should be nonporous and shouldn't get stained. It's best for things like accessories that don't really need washing, and depending on what yarn base it is, you may want to avoid friction too.

And not all their yarns are this bad, it's mostly the saturated colors, the variegated stuff that's dark and light mixed, anything with stripes, etc. Some colors are light enough or set enough not to dye your hands and needles, but still have enough excess to bleed a lot in water, which I think is still pretty bullshit but many people probably don't care about.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Haha, I have no kids and live alone, and that would seriously take a year for me to do! I think I'm a relatively fast knitter, but finding the time is so rough.

I have the time if I want to, but usually at night (at home) I often don't feel like knitting after putting the kid to bed. I don't like to knit when it feels like a chore, and I also don't really have a good place to knit comfortably at home. Our recliners are too reclin-y and I don't get any arm support in the couch, plus the lighting is horrible. I have the perfect knitting chair at our cabin, though, IKEA Strandmon. I want to get one for home when we're renovating our living room next year.

HungryMedusa, that blue yarn looks gorgeous! Too bad it discolors everything.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

NancyPants posted:

Oh hey, thanks! That's exactly what I make them for, actually. The original design are afghan squares, but gently caress sewing together a ton of knitted pieces. While recovering from hip surgery (and high out of my mind on pain meds), to learn to double knit, I started making them for my mom as potholders and trivets because she always asks me to knit them for her and I can't just knit squares all the time. She has a stack of these suckers.

These are all from the GeekAlong project:
My mom was a Sonic fiend back in the day, she got a kick out of this one:

This little guy got borked up when I decided to see what happens when you wrap every stitch most of the way through (hint: it fucks up your gauge):

I must need to be high on pain meds to learn this, then!

So far, I can cast on and get through a couple of rows on the bookmark pattern in the Lattes and Llamas "Learn to Double Knit" tutorial. Once I get to row 3, I need 6 yellow, 1 purple, 6 yellow. I understand that each of these is actually 2 stitches (knit yellow, purl purple = one yellow stitch on the pattern). The first 6 yellow go swimmingly. I complete the 6th stitch with a purple purl. Stitch 7 should be a knit purple, purl yellow but the yarn on the needle is yellow - purple, not purple yellow. How do I purl the purple without loving up the order on the needle? Do I purl yellow then knit purple? Stitch 8 then goes back to knit yellow, purl purple but stitch 7 ended on a yellow purl. I'm sure I'm just missing something super simple, but I can't figure it out. Any thoughts?

Also, what yarn and needle size do you use? I'm working with some crappy Lambs Pride 100% wool, worsted weight with size 6 needles. I bought this yarn because it was all that the "craft" store I was in had. I have better yarn stores, but they are a 40 minute car ride and will require some planning to get to.

Edit: I figured out the double knit question. I didn't realize that the yarn on the needle stayed in the same pattern and it was causing confusion and delay.

I am still really interested in your yarn choice for these squares.

OldNorthBridge fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 15, 2017

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah I'm not super happy about this. I'm far enough along that I will keep going and then rinse the poo poo out of it, maybe end up cooking it in some citric acid water with some random fiber to soak some of the excess dye up. I won't buy Tosh again - especially the dark colors.

E: I emailed Tosh and they got back to me pretty fast with a suggestion to soak it in a vinegar bath. I know it won't work but I appreciate that are responding at least. I'll do it and see where it goes from there.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 16, 2017

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

OldNorthBridge posted:

Edit: I figured out the double knit question. I didn't realize that the yarn on the needle stayed in the same pattern and it was causing confusion and delay.

I am still really interested in your yarn choice for these squares.

Glad you figured it out, DK is kind of hard to explain. For anyone else listening at home, if you're working flat without increases or decreases then you always work (k,p) regardless of your color pattern. The knit side is whichever side you have facing you so the purl side is always the back. Switching colors just means your knit and purl switch colors, but your stitch pattern remains the same.

I used a US7 size needle for all of these. Sonic used leftover Deborah Norville Everyday Soft (white) and Red Heart with Love in Peacock (blue). Acrylic is terrible for trivets and potholders but these worked up thick together and my mom insists they work fine; I wouldn't use them. Both the lambda and Charmander were Red Heart Supersaver in Pumpkin and Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Black, again to use leftover acrylic crap. The aperture and portal were Hobby Lobby house brand I Love This Wool which I immersion dyed using Jacquard acid dyes, more leftovers from previous projects. I like that wool for dyeing but I don't shop at Hobby Lobby anymore so I've switched to Fishermen's Wool instead.

Portal yarn's original purpose (hat for hubbo):

HungryMedusa posted:

Yeah I'm not super happy about this. I'm far enough along that I will keep going and then rinse the poo poo out of it, maybe end up cooking it in some citric acid water with some random fiber to soak some of the excess dye up. I won't buy Tosh again - especially the dark colors.

E: I emailed Tosh and they got back to me pretty fast with a suggestion to soak it in a vinegar bath. I know it won't work but I appreciate that are responding at least. I'll do it and see where it goes from there.

Don't be surprised if you don't get far. Like Anne Whateley said, the way they get those colors and the reason they rub off is because they add more dye than the fiber can actually hold. Like a tablespoon of citric acid to a couple gallons of water and a boil should make it absorb as much as it's going to. Good luck.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 16, 2017

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Hey NancyPants,

Have you used cotton yarn on any of those squares? I have some kicking around and have started making a Fallout square in blue and white. I like the thought of the pot holders and/or cloth trivets being machine washable. The crappy wool yarn I have is super scratchy and requires hand washing.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

OldNorthBridge posted:

Hey NancyPants,

Have you used cotton yarn on any of those squares? I have some kicking around and have started making a Fallout square in blue and white. I like the thought of the pot holders and/or cloth trivets being machine washable. The crappy wool yarn I have is super scratchy and requires hand washing.

I don't work in cotton because it's too hard on my hands, but it'll work fine for these as long as the two yarns you use are similar enough in gauge. If you're using it to protect from heat, you generally want DK or worsted/aran. Since it's doubled sport might even be fine, but I wouldn't go thinner than that unless you're making something towel-shaped which can be doubled over. My big rectangular ones were done in wool sock-weight yarns.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Say hello to my very first knitting project ever!

I'm having fun. I ran out of yarn two days ago and I'm itching for Amazon deliver another. IDK what to knit next, though. Maybe a more functional scarf since this one's coming out more like a very long, thin rug.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm having fun. I ran out of yarn two days ago and I'm itching for Amazon deliver another. IDK what to knit next, though. Maybe a more functional scarf since this one's coming out more like a very long, thin rug.

Looking good!

I started out knitting my scarves at 4" width, only to see them stretch out and narrow down, or be scrunched up a lot. I thought 6" would be better, and it was, but now I do 8" wide scarves and am finally happy with the results!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Thanks! I think the needles might be too small because it's coming out very dense (if I dangle it and twist it back and forth, it holds its twist), so it's not very flowy, but it's been a really good way to learn how to do a knit stitch. My eventual goal is to make a sweater.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Try a scarf with purls and increases/decreases, and you will have done every stitch required for a (very) basic sweater. A lot of sweater patterns are for knitting in the round, because people hate sewing seams. Hats are good practice for that (also you can have a matching hat and scarf set!). You can do a sleeveless sweater as an in-between if you want, but sleeves aren't particularly difficult.

My first "sweater" project was the Mackinac tank: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mackinac-tank

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I might try a hat first! Especially since I'm a fatso so any sweater project is going to be an undertaking. I'd love to try just a basic crew-neck, though, so that might make finding a suitable pattern easier.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Tin Can Knits write great, beginner-friendly patterns, and have a whole collection of simple + free ones sized from baby to adult. Flax is a crew neck sweater using basic stitches from that collection. (Sorry for sounding like a paid advert, I just love their work).

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm knitting this jumper from Drops right now. It's a very nice beginner's project, the yarn is chunky and it's fast to knit. Because it's top down you can try it on as you go along! I'm not knitting the increases and decreases on the body, so if you nix that it's super simple and doesn't require any assembly other than sewing under the sleeves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
On to scarf #2!

Just kind of playing it by ear, I made a little color block pattern in mspaint and I'm following that along until I run out of yarn. Any good tricks for clean, straight edges?