Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Grem posted:

Hay, cut out the jokes.

That was the last straw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KoRMaK posted:

So many words, such terrible arrangement

That’s Dinosaur Comics’ gimmick. Every strip has the same panels with different text.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
https://imgur.com/gallery/QqKj2

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
We shouldn't nuke hurricanes or tornadoes.

IMO we should make a fleet of hypersonic nuclear ramjets and have them fly in the opposite direction of their spin.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

zedprime posted:

:thunk:
Yes, you see, boom lifts have these things called safety systems.

Safety systems stands for S-A-F-E. If they weren't safe, why would anyone let some random person drive it after watching a 20 minute computer based training module?

Go ahead, turn it off and rip out the hydraulic pump, it'll be the safest it can ever be. Got to be moving to be dangerous you know, that's simple science.

This is the OSHA thread, in what possible world are boom lifts being used properly? That's the sort of "if" this entire thread is making fun of.

I knew some pedant was going to call me on that. Boom lifts are as safe to stand under as they are to stand in. If the thing falls over the guy in the basket is no better off. Worse, possibly, because if he's lanyarded in properly then he's going to be whipped into the ground even harder.

To answer your question, in the picture everyone was talking about, the boom lift was being used correctly.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zedprime posted:

:thunk:
Yes, you see, boom lifts have these things called safety systems.

Safety systems stands for S-A-F-E. If they weren't safe, why would anyone let some random person drive it after watching a 20 minute computer based training module?

Go ahead, turn it off and rip out the hydraulic pump, it'll be the safest it can ever be. Got to be moving to be dangerous you know, that's simple science.

This is the OSHA thread, in what possible world are boom lifts being used properly? That's the sort of "if" this entire thread is making fun of.

In all those pictures, anyone standing directly under the bucket would have been perfectly safe. Safer than someone who was not standing directly under the bucket.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

I call shenanigans on this wizardry. Unless that truck is AWD and shifted 100% of it's power instantly to it's front wheels, it would have sent those planks flying when the rear tires hit them.

Source: Someone who's tried something similar to this before.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 8, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DiggityDoink posted:

I call shenanigans on this wizardry. Unless that truck is AWD and shifted 100% of it's power instantly to it's front wheels, it would have sent those planks flying when the rear tires hit them.

Source: Someone who's tried something similar to this before.

Maybe it's being winched up?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Maybe it's being winched up?

That's a crazy fast winch compared to how the dude is moving to the right.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

PittTheElder posted:

Part of me wishes I lived in a world reckless enough to allow things like Starfish Prime, because I want to watch.

e: images

Hardtack Teak

Hardtack Orange

1958 ... Operation Hardtack - Orange shot by James Vaughan, on Flickr

Starfish (from Honolulu)

It's a fantastic example of the fact that just a relatively small number of nukes detonated at high altitudes could gently caress up just about all the electronics up there and down here for a good while. I'd be surprised if that wasn't part of some MAD doomsday scenario strategy.

I wonder how feasible it would be to use a Casaba Howitzer type bomb at a high altitude as some sort of initial attack on a country - let's say North Korea. Just a few hundred of the hitting every conceivable military target of significance from orbit with a high accuracy nuclear "beam", also because of the electromagnetic effects. It's basically totally unknown if that'd really work or what the damage/effect would be, though. Totally a Tom Clancy type fantasy, since regular munitions would probably accomplish the same job with a greater degree of certainty, but it's a fun thought experiment.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

I wonder if that pilot checks his wheelbarrow that carries his nuts around, or stores it overhead?

:stare: That dude is seriously insane or brave as gently caress.

Edit: Apparently it was a rescue plane that was specifically trying to get people off the island. Yeah, give that motherfucker a raise.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zipperelli. posted:

I wonder if that pilot checks his wheelbarrow that carries his nuts around, or stores it overhead?

:stare: That dude is seriously insane or brave as gently caress.

Edit: Apparently it was a rescue plane that was specifically trying to get people off the island. Yeah, give that motherfucker a raise.

Not just get people off the island. They brought in some relief workers.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

A hurricane isn't a solid disk of death. The clouds of the rain band would have been quite visible after a short climb, and even if they weren't, you could navigate with the onboard radar. It certainly looks scary, though. I bet that pilot had a blast.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

I wonder how feasible it would be to use a Casaba Howitzer type bomb at a high altitude as some sort of initial attack on a country - let's say North Korea.

Not very. The atmosphere gets in the way.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

When I first looked at this I thought there was no driver in the forklift.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I mean, you still need balls and/or ovaries of steel to decide to fly into and out of a hurricane.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Not just get people off the island. They brought in some relief workers.

Do we actually know what they were carrying on the plane?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

The Lone Badger posted:

Not very. The atmosphere gets in the way.

There are some serious ranges on those shaped blasts, though. I'm no physicist, but would the force of a big enough one not penetrate let's say... 10 km? If it detonated on the way down?

I'm picturing the radiation being the big damage dealer through thermal shock, but if the atmosphere really can outright stop it, what would that effect be? Would it be like the dispersal of a beam of water, or more like a stick of cotton candy hitting water and just dissolving? I can't really imagine it, but I'm sure there's an actual physics answer to it.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

EKDS5k posted:

Boom lifts are fine to stand under, if they're being used properly. They're not like excavators, even if the hydraulics failed they can't come crashing down. Otherwise they wouldn't be safe to go up in, either.

As a one-time clipboard carrier this isn't actually true, unless boom lift geometry also stops workers dropping poo poo on you from a great height (it doesn't, and they will).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There are some serious ranges on those shaped blasts, though. I'm no physicist, but would the force of a big enough one not penetrate let's say... 10 km? If it detonated on the way down?

My answer was from the point of view of firing it from orbit. If you're getting it that close then you might as well let it fall the last 10km and detonate it as a conventional nuke.

Gnisho
Aug 8, 2004

I wonder how feasible it would be to use a Casaba Howitzer type bomb at a high altitude as some sort of initial attack on a country - let's say North Korea. Just a few hundred of the hitting every conceivable military target of significance from orbit with a high accuracy nuclear "beam", also because of the electromagnetic effects. It's basically totally unknown if that'd really work or what the damage/effect would be, though. Totally a Tom Clancy type fantasy, since regular munitions would probably accomplish the same job with a greater degree of certainty, but it's a fun thought experiment.

Last I was paying attention, the "tens of thousands" of pieces of artillery the Norks have aimed south were WWII-ish technology, so really no electronics and EMP isn't a concern to functionality. No idea what their comms infrastructure looks like though, and unless they're using hardened terminals of whatever sort and buried cable...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gnisho posted:

Last I was paying attention, the "tens of thousands" of pieces of artillery the Norks have aimed south were WWII-ish technology, so really no electronics and EMP isn't a concern to functionality. No idea what their comms infrastructure looks like though, and unless they're using hardened terminals of whatever sort and buried cable...

There's no need for terminals and of course they're using buried cable. You can shell the poo poo out of someone using no electronics whatsoever although a phone or telegraph line helps; even the computers are mechanical. Not that you need an artillery computer but it makes everything a lot faster.

e: Fire control equipment will be under enough rock and metal to secure them from nukes and EMPs anyway. It's not like they haven't had time to prepare.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jerry Cotton posted:

In all those pictures, anyone standing directly under the bucket would have been perfectly safe. Safer than someone who was not standing directly under the bucket.
It's almost like boom lift jobs are universally ignored as suspended load situations where the entire line of fire should be analyzed and vacated.

Gnisho
Aug 8, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's no need for terminals and of course they're using buried cable. You can shell the poo poo out of someone using no electronics whatsoever although a phone or telegraph line helps; even the computers are mechanical. Not that you need an artillery computer but it makes everything a lot faster.

e: Fire control equipment will be under enough rock and metal to secure them from nukes and EMPs anyway. It's not like they haven't had time to prepare.

Sorry, once upon a time I got used to 'terminal' being used to mean whatever's tied to the end of a comms line, be that a computer, phone, or even a telegraph key.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Gnisho posted:

I think someone in GIP analysed the photos of some of those guns and declared that they were old poo poo that were badly maintained.
They suggested that if all the guns were like that, they'd probably be able to get 1-2 shots off before they fell apart into a heap of tangled metal and rust.

That said, a thousand guns only firing one shell each is still going to make a mess of downtown Seoul.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Hurricane prep

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

IPCRESS posted:

As a one-time clipboard carrier this isn't actually true, unless boom lift geometry also stops workers dropping poo poo on you from a great height (it doesn't, and they will).

I was waiting for someone to bring that up. Its not the risk of the basket dropping, its whatever random crap the guys inside the basket drop. A hammer or a cordless drill from high enough up is going to cave in a dude's head whether hes wearing a hard hat or not.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

IPCRESS posted:

iroc.dis posted:

I was waiting for someone to bring that up. Its not the risk of the basket dropping, its whatever random crap the guys inside the basket drop. A hammer or a cordless drill from high enough up is going to cave in a dude's head whether hes wearing a hard hat or not.

You got me there. That's a general hazard at any construction site where work is being performed above ground level, though.

zedprime posted:

It's almost like boom lift jobs are universally ignored as suspended load situations where the entire line of fire should be analyzed and vacated.

By this logic we'd have to ban tower cranes, too.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Its missing a quad bike in the pickup bed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

EKDS5k posted:

By this logic we'd have to ban tower cranes, too.
Tower cranes often have a signatory on sighting and stabilizing compared to a random tech driving boom lifts around.

Working with mobile cranes at chemical manufaturing sights, the rule was roping off the radius of possible tipping with caution, and any suspended load flights with warning. I like that and I'd like it for tower cranes up until I started complaining about traffic. Lack of warning on the tip for tower cranes is possibly about to bite some people in the rear end in Miami for example.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013

minato posted:

Hurricane prep

This just reinforces my opion about most american houses made out of cardboard.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Jerry Cotton posted:

They probably already have targets for each gun, so there would be no need to communicate other than giving the initial firing order. If you want to get fancy, it could be that they would get targets from the command normally and have targets to fall back on if communications get severed, they have had plenty of time to decide where they want to shoot. But that's just armchair farting, for all we know, Kim needs to personally authorize every shot.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

minato posted:

Hurricane prep

Somebody got their roof replaced recently and does not want to do it again.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

minato posted:

Hurricane prep

If the hurricane is strong enough to do damage to this house, those straps will not do poo poo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Walls lose a lot of strength when the roof lifts off, internal hurricane straps are a thing for that exact reason. My main issue with that setup is that no way in hell are they anchored to the ground well enough to help.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

They could help.

"Has anyone seen my roof? It's the one with yellow straps on."

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

minato posted:

Hurricane prep

Don't worry, its anchored to a 400lb block of concrete.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Enourmo posted:

Walls lose a lot of strength when the roof lifts off, internal hurricane straps are a thing for that exact reason. My main issue with that setup is that no way in hell are they anchored to the ground well enough to help.

That was my thought as well. No way he sank rebar into concrete at any kind of depth to truly anchor those straps. Might as well tie it to a lawn ornament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’d get some of those anchors that are used for light aircraft.