Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

someone awful. posted:

because you're probably going to touch things in the interim, like your drink or something, and this is the reason napkins exist in the first place?
I'm dum, nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

someone awful. posted:

because you're probably going to touch things in the interim, like your drink or something, and this is the reason napkins exist in the first place?

Yeah, even before the age of having a phone in your hand half the time, there's a ton of other stuff you need to touch, and I just don't like having groady hands in general.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Use folded up bounty paper towels instead.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw a bunch of restaurants around Korea that just had a toilet paper roll on the table for the diners to use instead of napkins.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Sep 7, 2017

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Get some of these. They're like paper towels except they don't fall apart as soon as they get wet.

They are more expensive than regular paper towels, but that's offset by the fact that you can use each piece for eight times as long.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw a bunch of restaurants around Korea that just had a toilet paper roll on the table for the diners to use instead of napkins.

I've been to a few barbecue joints that had rolls of paper towels at the table instead of napkins. Made sense to me.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
I hate it when people try to exaggerate a word but focus on the wrong letter, it's not a longggg time you slow twat it goes loooong, type it like you pronounce it when you do that!

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Tarantula posted:

I hate it when people try to exaggerate a word but focus on the wrong letter, it's not a longggg time you slow twat it goes loooong, type it like you pronounce it when you do that!

okkkkkkkkkay whattttttttevvvvvvver

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When one poster can write halfway decent and a megathread gets taken over by the one rear end in a top hat's posts and then a legion of fans posting "oh wow yes this poster, tell me stories"

Mainly thinking of good ol' humpermonkey/50 Foot Ant telling oh-so-cool stories about how they were totally in the army and banged so many chicks and beat up pussies, and ps there was a ghost, in the old ghost story threads, but it still kinda happens.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Tarantula posted:

I thought I was the only one who cared about that.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

walrusman posted:

I thought I was the only one who cared about that.

Honest to god do they actually not see a difference between fuckkkk and fuuuuuck?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I always mentally pronounce the former like a squirrel chatter at the end of the word.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Tarantula posted:

:smug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tarantula posted:

Honest to god do they actually not see a difference between fuckkkk and fuuuuuck?

They do, it's a goddam joke you goons

fuccckkkkkkk

You're either a loner sperg or hopelessly out of date and close to death lol

Dissociative Donut
Oct 9, 2009

by Pragmatica

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They do, it's a goddam joke you goons

fuccckkkkkkk

You're either a loner sperg or hopelessly out of date and close to death lol

You are seriously underestimating just how stupid and illiterate people are.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When one poster can write halfway decent and a megathread gets taken over by the one rear end in a top hat's posts and then a legion of fans posting "oh wow yes this poster, tell me stories"

Mainly thinking of good ol' humpermonkey/50 Foot Ant telling oh-so-cool stories about how they were totally in the army and banged so many chicks and beat up pussies, and ps there was a ghost, in the old ghost story threads, but it still kinda happens.

I loved zee is zae's pictures but I always dreaded her arrival to a thread because her fans just never shut the hell up.

Tarantula posted:

This really only bugs me when they focus on a silent letter, like "awesomeeeeeeeeeeeee". Ew. EW.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dissociative Donut posted:

You are seriously underestimating just how stupid and illiterate people are.

I'm not saying everyone is intentionally writing it as a joke but no one loving legit thinks that the ck is elongated in the spoken version of fuccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk. It's just a convention. It's funny and seems extra-exasperated. Recognizing this without actively thinking through it is a basic human process.

Pet peeve: the idea that everyone in "the masses" or "people in general" is some drooling idiot. The vast majority of people are pretty loving normal and a bunch of them go home and bitch about how everyone they meet is a drooling illiterate buffoon just like you do. I guarantee everyone who thinks this way that they've done something loving stupid that, in context, made sense or was an honest mistake, but some stranger saw it and thought "oh wow, people today are just soooooo dumb!"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm not saying everyone is intentionally writing it as a joke but no one loving legit thinks that the ck is elongated in the spoken version of fuccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk. It's just a convention. It's funny and seems extra-exasperated. Recognizing this without actively thinking through it is a basic human process.

Pet peeve: the idea that everyone in "the masses" or "people in general" is some drooling idiot. The vast majority of people are pretty loving normal and a bunch of them go home and bitch about how everyone they meet is a drooling illiterate buffoon just like you do. I guarantee everyone who thinks this way that they've done something loving stupid that, in context, made sense or was an honest mistake, but some stranger saw it and thought "oh wow, people today are just soooooo dumb!"

People in general are drooling idiots though. Myself included.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Tarantula posted:

I hateeeeeee this!

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
The opposite is also annoying, when people misspell non-words like 'ops' instead of 'oops', or 'hehehehe' instead of heehee or haha.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

DavidAlltheTime posted:

The opposite is also annoying, when people misspell non-words like 'ops' instead of 'oops', or 'hehehehe' instead of heehee or haha.

heehee is a much more awkward way of typing it and doesn't sound like someone laughing/chuckling typically.

Speaking of "haha" though, nothing annoys me more than someone who has to end every single message with haha or lol. I asked you how your day is going, why the gently caress is that funny?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

"Noone"

What the hell, why is this so common.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

The Moon Monster posted:

"Noone"

Just change the station when he comes on XM 6

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Tarantula posted:

I vividly remember agonizing over this in elementary school because one of the picture books had someone saying "but mooooooooom!!" and I couldn't decide if that was better than "mommmmmmmm" because you don't emphasize the M but if you write "moooooom" it doesn't scan as an elongated "mom", but rather "moo" with an M at the end.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Hehehehe is a different thing

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Heh" and "meh" used to be a lot more common in my AIM days, and it was a surefire way to either piss me off or get someone pissed off at me.

Never have two more dismissive collections of letters existed.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DavidAlltheTime posted:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

"Noone"

Herman's Hermits had a larger influence than is commonly acknowledged.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
"Whoa" misspelled as "woah" bugs me.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Rabbit Hill posted:

"Whoa" misspelled as "woah" bugs me.

As a person who does this I personally apologize but even if "whoa" is correct it displeases me aesthetically

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Brawnfire posted:

"Heh" and "meh" used to be a lot more common in my AIM days, and it was a surefire way to either piss me off or get someone pissed off at me.

Never have two more dismissive collections of letters existed.

nah

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

someone awful. posted:

As a person who does this I personally apologize but even if "whoa" is correct it displeases me aesthetically

It's spelled that way because you are supposed to pronounce the h (or at least you were back when people did that sort of thing).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ah gently caress

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

People who write 'breaks' when 'brakes' should be used

Them's the breaks :shrug:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think the elongating the wrong letter thing can work when deliberately used, like 8-Bit Theatre had a funny use of it where the whole joke was the Black Mage was go enraged he couldn't even finish saying "gently caress". It just came out as "fffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" which in context really sold his incoherent fury.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Silicon and silicone aren't the same thing.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Silicon and silicone aren't the same thing.

I work in silicon to get that silicone

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lavaca posted:

It's spelled that way because you are supposed to pronounce the h (or at least you were back when people did that sort of thing).

I'm also one of those people who spell it woah because pronouncing it like whoa makes it sound like an exaggerated California surfer from the 80s. Also autocorrect on every phone I've ever used accepts both spellings

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I just avoid all that and go for the timeless classic "yowza!"

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Sep 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Try "weow" like Jason from that one episode of Home Movies.

Try it. Try it because it's terrible.

Weow.