Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Super Soaker Party! posted:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-may-be-repositioning-some-or-all-of-skype-for-business-as-teams/

Looks like it was a glitch but is also probably going to happen.

I guess the only good thing is we hadn't actually rolled out SfB to many of our customers because most of them like the idea of chatrooms with persistent chat and SfB didn't do that except in the on-prem version. But still, Microsoft, come the gently caress on, maybe don't have fifty different products that sort of or actually do the same thing? As someone mentioned, that's Google's role.
We did on-prem S4B and literally nobody uses the persistent chat that was both balls to set up and seemingly would just drop invites if you tried to pull in a big team all at once, so they all just used Slack for chatting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nominal posted:

A ticket came in while my boss is in a meeting.

Oh, hey, it's a drop request for my boss. wellllllllp

(I like my boss a lot and he was an incredibly effective buffer between us and ridiculous corporate nonsense, guess that's probably why he got axed)

Condolences. Figure out where he's going and consider following?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My new job shares a client with my old job, so I got to share with them the story of how this medical office is running a bunch of expensive iMacs running Win7 virtual machines to run IE8 to run EMR software that's gonna have a Mac version any-day-now because the head doctor is a mac fanboy.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I'm entertained to be using skunkworks slack with all the people I actually care to work with, mostly because my workplace still doesn't have *any* IM platform. :negative:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Had my monthly review from my recent new IT job and the result was

Yeah I think it went ok

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Looks like you did real good.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, we were using straight up Skype, and the exposed IPs and rapid succession of malicious links that spread across it a couple years back were enough for me to get backing to officially make people stop using it.

I got vocally cheered at a Team Meeting for suggesting we drop Skype altogether and use Discord. :v:

... this company has over 104 thousand employees.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in: computer won't power on.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It helps if you plug in the mouse first.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's your problem. The mouse goes on the outside of the computer!

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Malek posted:

I got vocally cheered at a Team Meeting for suggesting we drop Skype altogether and use Discord. :v:

... this company has over 104 thousand employees.

I'd do it. It's better than what we have right now, e-mail. :sigh:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
All you guys voting for <literally anything else> over Skype, can slack/discord/whatever handle FOIA/FOIL requests?

Asking for a friend.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I work in escalations now, and one of my tasks is handling bug reports put in by tier 1 support on behalf of customers. A ticket came in last month for a display issue with our program. I added the customer to the main bug report and closed the one tier 1 put in. The customer then called in claiming data was missing. I knew she was full of poo poo because the data she claimed was missing was exactly the same data that is displayed incorrectly by the bug- it's there, you just have to dig to it a different way. I email her offering to call and discuss. She never responded This was in mid August.

Today I get an email from my boss. The customer went straight to the VP of support with a complaint that mentioned me by name saying I had "called to check in but refused to fix anything." Now a pile of poo poo is landing on my head because I tried to be proactive about contacting an angry customer.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

A ticket came in:

Due to the incredibly complex nature of healthcare, doctor's contracts with the insurance company, and the level at which we pay claims, the values displayed on the website for one family member's total out-of-pocket expenses for the year are off.

By how much? About $30. They have a few thousand bucks to spend before they hit their out-of-pocket maximum (i.e. the point at which they no longer have to pay for anything and the insurance pays everything at 100%), so it's not like this $30 is causing them to continue to have to pay when they shouldn't. In addition, the values are correct everywhere else, but just for some weird reason, it's short $30 on the website.

I get dragged into a conference call with the claim system dudes asking us "can you alter the website's code to add $30 to this one family member?". Uhhh, no. You guys really need to fix this at the source system.

"But, this family member is covered under a VP at the company! We have to do it!" Nope. Sorry.

After the call, I look up the supposed VP to find out that they are actually several levels down from a VP. And somehow, they've got probably a dozen people scrambling around, trying to increment this one person's out-of-pocket by $30 just because they don't like the fact that the website is incorrect.

The ticket was never assigned to my group, so I'm just going to let them figure it out. Gonna be billing the production support budget for my time, though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I work in escalations now, and one of my tasks is handling bug reports put in by tier 1 support on behalf of customers. A ticket came in last month for a display issue with our program. I added the customer to the main bug report and closed the one tier 1 put in. The customer then called in claiming data was missing. I knew she was full of poo poo because the data she claimed was missing was exactly the same data that is displayed incorrectly by the bug- it's there, you just have to dig to it a different way. I email her offering to call and discuss. She never responded This was in mid August.

Today I get an email from my boss. The customer went straight to the VP of support with a complaint that mentioned me by name saying I had "called to check in but refused to fix anything." Now a pile of poo poo is landing on my head because I tried to be proactive about contacting an angry customer.

Make them tell you what you should've done differently.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A reply-all storm came in. Alternatively popping popcorn and headdesk-ing.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

All you guys voting for <literally anything else> over Skype, can slack/discord/whatever handle FOIA/FOIL requests?

Asking for a friend.

Don't think so for Discord. Discord stores the logs on their servers but I have no idea how they would (or if they would) send logs...

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Paid slack can retain infinite messages and gives you an admin portal that I think you can use to search and produce logs. But it requires you pay $11 per month per user, which gets astronomically expensive.

But the critical point is whether instant messages are actually foia-ble. From what I understand, they aren't official record and nothing actionable should be conducted via instant message (can't agree to a contract or fire somebody or pass policy), so they aren't subject to FOIA requests.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though because if so I need to reevaluate my IM policy!

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Maybe I'm in the minority, but moving from SfB to Teams has been great for us.

We had Dev using HipChat, several groups using their own Slack instances, and SfB as the official IM client (that Dev didn't use since it didn't work well on non-Windows machines).

SfB had a really bad habit of hanging when an IM would come in, long enough that the person messaging you would get the "your IM has been sent to their email as a missed conversation" message and you'd get an email while you're sitting there waiting on the client to respond. You could see the message they sent, but were helpless as far as actually replying. Very frustrating. We also had several multi-hour outages in the last year, I don't know if it was our fault or Microsoft's fault, but in comparison, Teams has been rock solid. It closes for 30 seconds on occasion to update, but remains responsive otherwise. We don't really use the videoconferencing features, but it's still got the screensharing functionality, which has come in handy pretty often for me. It's also pretty cool to be able to plug a OneNote page, Wiki, or Wrike project into a team. I would really like it if I had the option to remove myself from a group chat.

Teaching people how to respond to threaded conversations has been a nightmare, though. :downs:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Paid slack can retain infinite messages and gives you an admin portal that I think you can use to search and produce logs. But it requires you pay $11 per month per user, which gets astronomically expensive.

But the critical point is whether instant messages are actually foia-ble. From what I understand, they aren't official record and nothing actionable should be conducted via instant message (can't agree to a contract or fire somebody or pass policy), so they aren't subject to FOIA requests.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though because if so I need to reevaluate my IM policy!

Unpaid slack also retains infinite messages for the file export functionality which your group's admins can initiate, even though you can't get access to the old messages "live" in the channels.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
We got a few tickets today from people reporting this bitcoin scam email:

Master of the special pixel posted:

Hello.

I do not want to judge anyone, but consequently of some cases, we have touchpoint from now. I do not think that caress oneself is very amiss, but when all your relatives, colleagues and friend see it- its obviously bad.

So, closer to the point. You visited the internet with роrn, which I’ve seized with the deleterious soft. After you chose video, virus started working and your device became function as rdp since that moment. Naturally, all cams and screen started recording instantly and then my soft collected all contacts from your device.

I text you on this e-mail address, because I got it it with my soft, and I think you for sure check this work address.

The most interesting point that I created video, on one side it shows your screen record, on another side your cams record. Its very funny. But it wasn’t so easy .

As a result- if you want me to delete all this compromising evidence, here is my Bitcoin account address- 18MqNbCvszLRqKCMkCXYYciuL2Y8CS8Rpp (it must be without «spaces» or «=aquo;,check it). If you do not know how to use it, you can ask google or youtube for advice- its very easy. It seems to me, that 330 usd will finish our problem and will destroy our point of contact . You have one day after reading this message(I put special pixel in it, ill know when you open it). If you will not pay me, ill share the compromising with all contacts I’ve collected from you.

I do not think that cops can find me for only one day(not even 10 days), so think twice, you can lose your honor. Sorry for misprints, I am foreign.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Hungry Computer posted:

You visited the internet with роrn, which I’ve seized with the deleterious soft.

HAHAHAHAHAHA this sentence is loving AMAZING

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Personally I'm fond of "I put special pixel in it, I'll know when you open this message"

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Can we just just have that whole thing as the thread title?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Garrand posted:

Personally I'm fond of "I put special pixel in it, I'll know when you open this message"

Hidden pixel tracking is a thing. It's even made it to those prime time/early morning news shows that our parents watch. Which is why this e-mail is so ingenious. There's a bunch of "I think Katie Couric said something about this once, it must be true" triggers to help bypass any innate suspicion the recipient might have. I would bet that this spam campaign has above average returns.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
The reason I visited the internet with роrn is *because* I have the deleterious soft. :flaccid:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
RE: A ticket came in: Its very funny. But it wasn’t so easy.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mods, please change my name to "the deleterious soft"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

mods, please change my name to "special pixel"

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

mods please rename me to "overused joke" (or just "Three Olives")

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RE: A ticket came in: I text you on this e-mail address, because I got it it with my soft.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

RE: A ticket came in: If you do not know how to use it, you can ask google or youtube for advice

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I tracked down an original copy of the email. There are no images or links of any sort, the special pixel was a lie. :smith:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Ghostlight posted:

RE: A ticket came in: If you do not know how to use it, you can ask google or youtube for advice

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Hungry Computer posted:

I tracked down an original copy of the email. There are no images or links of any sort, the special pixel was a lie. :smith:
It turns out the special pixel was in our hearts this whole time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Collateral Damage posted:

RE: A ticket came in: I text you on this e-mail address, because I got it it with my soft.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

We use the free Skype at work, because most of the devs are on Linux. I have no idea what happens when I click that 'upgrade to skype for business/teams/windows10' thing. I suggested Slack but it was shot down.

I guess we'll just stick with 'Skype for Linux Beta' for now. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Merijn posted:

We use the free Skype at work, because most of the devs are on Linux. I have no idea what happens when I click that 'upgrade to skype for business/teams/windows10' thing. I suggested Slack but it was shot down.

Web.skype.com

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Merijn posted:

Tell them that slack has an IRC bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Merijn posted:

We use this to connect to SfB on Linux: https://tel.red/linux.php
Also, Pidgin has a plugin that also works once you figure out what the correct settings are.

• Locked thread