Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Questing is probably the fun bit in WoW too, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I mentioned it before but ESO questing is very fun too.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Thundarr posted:

Paladin kind of has too many buttons now, and I have no idea why they decided Scourge and Fracture had to go but Goring Blade could stay.

It's still way better than it was before 4.0 though.

Goring blade stays so they have three combos, like everyone else. They just removed the non-combo dots for melee.

E: I guess DRKs only have two combos now, so that's a bit different. Just WAR and PLD with 3 combos for tanks then.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ok that Shiva fight was pretty :krad:

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Bolow posted:

Ok that Shiva fight was pretty :krad:

I love it when I get Shiva in roulette. You can get a mount from Shiva extreme that plays the song when you ride it!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

comingafteryouall posted:

I love it when I get Shiva in roulette. You can get a mount from Shiva extreme that plays the song when you ride it!

...I may need to turn mount music back on

I just wish I could exclude mounts from mount roulette :(

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

...I may need to turn mount music back on

I just wish I could exclude mounts from mount roulette :(

IF that GOD drat Manacutter shows up again I swear to god...

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

You can turn off mount music? Why is that an option

Can you turn off the BGM for the Golden Saucer?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Because the Azim Steppes music loving owns and I want to hear it without being forced to move at the speed of rear end.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Coming back after a few months away has been pretty fun. Showing up for my first Temple of the Fist and Kugane Castle runs with my DRK, having forgotten most of my new SB abilities (the rest are pretty much muscle memory for me) has, no doubt, convinced everyone I've grouped with that I'm terrible.

"Oh, you'd like me to Darkest Night the Tankbuster? I think not. Heals away, plz!"
"Oh, did you think I was supposed to use this red glowing sword bar? How could I possibly let it diminish from 100? So much less glow!"

...but apart from that, people continue to be cool and good and it seems like getting geared up via Tomestones is actually relatively easy, considering.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Can you turn off the BGM for the Golden Saucer?

Yes, but the game punishes you for it because the ambient "crowd" noises at the saucer are actually really eerie and unsettling without the cheery music to mask it.

Seriously, try it out next time, you'll see what I mean.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

why is there no loving jukebox for your mount that plays your collected orchestral tunes

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Azerban posted:

why is there no loving jukebox for your mount that plays your collected orchestral tunes

to everyone around you, with full Doppler effects.

e: it could be a special moogle-car with a moogle-band in the back.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 8, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Azerban posted:

Because when someone asked that in a Live Letter, Soken could be heard screaming in the background as he threw himself out a tenth-story window at the through of how much work it would entail giving us an "oPod".

edit: Found it: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/127955803?t=50m00s

PAX East 2017 Q&A posted:

Q: Please implement an oPod (Orchestrion Pod) Please please please… and then they wrote please in Japanese also.

A: We need new systems. It’s a wonderful idea.. yeah… but, I think it would require a lot of bandwith from Soken and the sound programmer and if Soken was here, he probably would have screamed “nooooo!” and ran out the door. That being said, I will at least give him a heads up. Please purchase the original soundtracks.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 8, 2017

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

comingafteryouall posted:

IF that GOD drat Manacutter shows up again I swear to god...

Knowing now what I wish I'd known then... I'd've never wished upon that monkey paw Manacutter key...

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Because I got tired of hearing that goddamn Chocobo music after 20 levels

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wonder why the oPod would be something Soken would even deal with. Why would the composer be at all involved with the code that decides what piece of music to play?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Bolow posted:

Because I got tired of hearing that goddamn Chocobo music after about a week.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm sorry but you shouldn't be playing a Final Fantasy game if the Chocobo theme irks you

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bolow posted:

Because I got tired of hearing that goddamn Chocobo music after 20 levels

It gets very jarring once you reach the gothic organ music of coerthas

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm sorry but you shouldn't be playing a Final Fantasy game if the Chocobo theme irks you

It's not that it irks me necessarily (though it does, I like the generic mount music much more), but the zone music is almost always better.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Yeah, I remember that time Cloud rode away from Aeris' death scene and the Chocobo theme lightened the mood and made me feel tons better.

I like the ambient music in the zones. I like being able to ride through them without the fun, goofy Chocobo music over-writing anything and everything I'd otherwise be listening to. I'm not exactly the spergiest of RPers and I like the Chocobo music just fine - but when, back then, I only had one mount and I got to listen to that every time I wanted to not walk a zone...

A week was about all I could take. Do I get to keep my Final Fantasy fan club card?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ainsley McTree posted:

It gets very jarring once you reach the gothic organ music of coerthas

Lol the Broom's light hearted music is also a culture shock.

I don't know, I handled the Broom's music for 40 levels, I don't know if I could the Chocobo's

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The background music adds a lot of ambience and character to the zones, and you barely get to hear it if you have mount music on, since you'll almost always be mounted up between battles. My mount music was turned off basically as soon as I realized it was an option:

Now they just need an option to turn off that same generic dungeon midboss theme (that often interrupts music that would be -better- as boss music) and we're all set.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've definitely gotten my fair share of HW and SB dungeons in roulette, but DRK starts at 30, so it's Sastasha and Spooky House all day. I'd go do PotD if I didn't love myself.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I've definitely gotten my fair share of HW and SB dungeons in roulette, but DRK starts at 30, so it's Sastasha and Spooky House all day. I'd go do PotD if I didn't love myself.

PotD is leagues better than doing Sastasha and Manor over and over. At least in PotD you can move around and do stuff, instead of standing still and spamming two single target abilities on mobs over and over.

Edit: I mean, grinding PotD is still painful but please do not subject yourself to the manor grind

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Sastasha's a bummer that feels like it takes way longer than it actually does, but I like Spooky House Haukke. For whatever reason, that one feels like it runs super clean, super fast, and actually has some interesting mechanics to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

Sastasha's a bummer that feels like it takes way longer than it actually does, but I like Spooky House Haukke. For whatever reason, that one feels like it runs super clean, super fast, and actually has some interesting mechanics to it.

I think the return skip in Haukke manor makes it feel a lot shorter than it is, both because it cuts a lot of time out and because it makes it FEEL shorter.

Honest truth: I have no loving idea what the return trip in the Manor is like, I've never made it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

I think the return skip in Haukke manor makes it feel a lot shorter than it is, both because it cuts a lot of time out and because it makes it FEEL shorter.

Honest truth: I have no loving idea what the return trip in the Manor is like, I've never made it.

You mean people do the return trip? I've never had a group want to do that, huh.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

On foot? You run out of the basement boss room, backtrack to the first boss room and out the other door, and you come out right behind the stairs in the foyer. I kinda appreciate the old MMO design approach to Haukke tbh, it feels like a real place. I'm glad they don't design dungeons like that anymore though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All the dungeons with "interesting" design gimmicks are actually only interesting the first time you run them and annoying after that. I'm glad more recent dungeons are more streamlined to be enjoyable the 50th time you run them.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
i like when you stop on your mount the music lowers in volume. It's a nice touch.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I once had a group with a lalafell dude named Momo who was new and either didn't see chat or didn't understand English, so after a few minutes explaining the return feature we went looking for Momo, who was hopelessly lost by that time trying to reach us, and tried to attract his attention to follow us to the entrance. The tank said we were "saving private momo" or something like that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

All the dungeons with "interesting" design gimmicks are actually only interesting the first time you run them and annoying after that. I'm glad more recent dungeons are more streamlined to be enjoyable the 50th time you run them.
I don't think Haukke is one of those though, even though its a big mansion that loops in on itself all over the place there's one obvious path through the whole thing (with the exception of the fakeout door in the first boss room and kind of the return trap, but if people don't return they usually find their way upstairs eventually). I don't mind it at all. Now you wanna talk awful gimmick dungeons, pretty much any of the 1.0 hold overs.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 8, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Even doing the walk back there only 1 new pull (the guys on the stares) compare to just Return'ing back. also Haukke is way shorter because there's only one room between the second boss and the final boss and that room features a single enemy that flees at ~60% HP.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Oh, I'm not grinding dungeons. I just do a daily LDR. I just don't have the energy to grind another job.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Huh guess I need to finish killing all of the Primals on hard to advance the Main Story now. At least I'll have time to clear up this quest log since the game just dumped like 30 quests on me the moment I hit 50

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shy posted:

I mentioned it before but ESO questing is very fun too.

how is ESO these days anyway? I know it was a garbage fire at launch, but I mean, so was FFXIV

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bolow posted:

the game just dumped like 30 quests on me the moment I hit 50

:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Augus posted:

how is ESO these days anyway? I know it was a garbage fire at launch, but I mean, so was FFXIV

I haven't played much, but a lot of people who tried the game at launch, dropped it and returned recently say it significantly improved. They implemented game-wide scaling last year and you are free to explore and quest wherever so it's front-loaded with very entertaining stuff; goon presence is adequate too.