Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

That sure is some comida feia, all right. Thanks, Brazil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the glove makes me uncomfortable

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Some text AFP from special guest /r/relationships:
Wife [32F] made a disgusting "sushi casserole" that I [33M] was against for a big potluck. Dish ended up a flop and now she's mad at me.

quote:

So my wife has recently gotten into very experimental, GIF-recipe type foods that you see on facebook. Like those recipes that looks questionable at best and even worse when it's made in real life.

Last weekend we were invited to a BIG labor day party by my wife's boss. It was actually pretty fancy and catered but also a "potluck" for those who wanted to show their special culinary skills. So welcome but not necessary. My wife decided on this "sushi casserole" or lasagna type thing that was basically layers of rice and sashimi in a baking tray. I watched her make it and she was winging a lot of it and it looked TERRIBLE. Like instead of making sushi rice, she just used regular rice, and instead of sashimi grade fish I think she just bought her own from god knows where and sliced it. It wasn't even good tuna or salmon, it was some other kinds of fish that I couldn't identify. She topped it off with cut up avocado and some Japanese mayo (like it did in the vid).

Well, when it was done it honestly, and I mean HONESTLY, looked like a tray of vomit. The mushed up avocado (which had gone slightly brown) plus reddish fish plus scattered rice and watery mayo made it look exactly like a big tray of puke. I was frank and told her the "sushi casserole" looks seriously gross and that sushi shouldn't even be in casserole/lasagna/burger/cake or whatever else buzzfeed comes up with that week to begin with. I thought we were both on the same page at that point and she would laugh and throw the monstrosity away, but she got extremely mad at me.

She told me I NEVER like the food she makes and I'm never supportive. She also brought up the fact that just because I had traveled more than she has and eaten at far more "fancy" restaurants than she, it doesn't mean I can be such a food snob. I told her that dish had nothing to do with trips to Japan or 3 Michelin star dinners; it was just a bad dish, period. Well, the day of the party comes and she brings the casserole. As suspected, it looked SUPER out of place on a table full of nicely arranged, catered foods (turned out very few people brought their own and the only ones that did made desserts). The day passes and everything else is polished down except for her sushi casserole. It remained sadly full and by the end of the party it was glaringly untouched and people were making subtle jokes about the "mystery dish." My wife heard some whispers about it and became visibly upset.

So we got back home and I tell her not to worry too much and that there was just too much food overall which is why hers wasn't as popular. She ignores me and walks off. So ever since then she's been cold and giving me the silent treatment on most afternoons. Apparently she's mad that I didn't get some of her casserole myself and didn't encourage others to try it. She said I humiliated her by not touching the dish and telling her it looked gross when she was making it. I told her I can't make people eat things they obviously don't want to eat.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/675291729734578177

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/905727029055762432

https://twitter.com/reichinho/status/905127017846382592

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/904775174096080896

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/904040344387547136

https://twitter.com/JanetStrath/status/903381510723706880

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I think they forgot the "Battle of" part of the style

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Haifisch posted:

Some text AFP from special guest /r/relationships:
Wife [32F] made a disgusting "sushi casserole" that I [33M] was against for a big potluck. Dish ended up a flop and now she's mad at me.

My favorite part of this is "big bowl of sushi rice with raw fish on top" is a totally normal Japanese thing and really good. Probably less effort than this loving mess she threw together.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

My favorite part of this is "big bowl of sushi rice with raw fish on top" is a totally normal Japanese thing and really good. Probably less effort than this loving mess she threw together.

Whilst chirashi-don is amazing I wouldn't make it in bulk for a buffet.

The idea of sushi with regular rice hurts my soul. :japan:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah fresh sashimi and some roe on rice owns, i genuinely want to see how that casserole looks like because lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ibblebibble posted:

Whilst chirashi-don is amazing I wouldn't make it in bulk for a buffet.

It's not a great choice but better than whatever the gently caress that was.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

yeah fresh sashimi and some roe on rice owns, i genuinely want to see how that casserole looks like because lol

I've read enough of this thread that i can just close my eyes and picture it. is "loose rice" on the bingo card? :v:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I've read enough of this thread that i can just close my eyes and picture it. is "loose rice" on the bingo card? :v:

It should be, dammit.

The spaghetti meatloaf thing is just Middle America's answer to the coffin pie, except you actually eat the coffin part.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Is that raw chicken skin? Christ, I can't imagine a more disgusting substance.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anthony bourdain and Andrew Zimmern both tried chicken sashimi and like pretty much any westerner ever they said it was gross. Raw chicken is gross enough to touch let alone eat

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010
There's a video of Mario Batalli and Gwyneth Paltrow in Italy, and Mario's trying to convince Gwyneth to try this rare chicken dish and she's having no part of it. The next day he has reeeeal bad food poisoning.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The bit that struck me about the sushi casserole story was that he described her making it and then wrote "So the day of the party rolls around" implying that this monstrosity of rice and raw fish had sat around in their fridge for a while.
Then it sits on a buffet table all day.
:barf:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Not only has facebook ruined democracy it's also giving people awful food ideas.

When will this madness end?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Fastball LIVE in concert posted:

There's a video of Mario Batalli and Gwyneth Paltrow in Italy, and Mario's trying to convince Gwyneth to try this rare chicken dish and she's having no part of it. The next day he has reeeeal bad food poisoning.

That's what you get for wearing Crops. :colbert: 'though as a vagina-haver, I wish it was Paltrow who got sick.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lol wearing crops. that's gotta be like sub bottom tier mmorpg armor

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Whoops!

I'd pay Earth dollars for that in ESO, though, I have to say. Goin' to Coldharbour in my Melon Hat and Breastplate of Vivec's Ash Yams. Or something.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I would eat three of these every loving day for lunch, holy poo poo.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
There's a few gems on those Facebook pages, some of the desserts were okay when I made them. Most of the recipes just are like "Pile a ton of poo poo together, douse it in garlic powder, cover it in cheese and THEN BACON BECAUSE BACON"

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

"Pile a ton of poo poo together, douse it in garlic powder, cover it in cheese and THEN BACON BECAUSE BACON"

This is how my husband thinks cooking works. He's learning, but hasn't quite internalized the "garlic powder and garlic cannot usually be used the same way" rule.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I don't see the problem, it's still fresh.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
It's not sept 12 yet, what's the problem?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

twoday posted:

It's not sept 12 yet, what's the problem?

Especially since they would have used food-grade ink for that.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

angerbeet posted:

Those ham balls aren't all that different than those fried chicken balls you get with the mysterious red #6 sauce, really.

The real crime is that nori cone hotdog and dorito thing up page.

Definitely a crime since the guy eating it doesn't want his fingerprints on the evidence

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
The sushi casserole terror inspired me to go get good and delicious fresh sushi for lunch. And it was amazing, so maybe that culinary disease dumpster did a teeny bit of good.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Yeah now I want chirashi, thanks a lot. I honestly didn't think you could make chirashi into AFP but I guess grocery store poke often qualifies, and that's sorta like chirashi with sugar sauce, right

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's a sushi wedding cake going around on Facebook, so here's a picture of one.

https://twitter.com/My_Healthy_Now/status/835741293619916801

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

a kitten posted:

There's a sushi wedding cake going around on Facebook, so here's a picture of one.

https://twitter.com/My_Healthy_Now/status/835741293619916801

Raw fish and vanilla frosting, two great tastes that taste great together

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

Raw fish and vanilla frosting, two great tastes that taste great together

Managed to track down the video again, it's cream cheese.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1729520717082749&id=1466985283336295

Also, nothin but salmon. I mean, I like salmon as much as anyone but seems like some variation might be nice.

a kitten has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Sep 9, 2017

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

cherry-sauced ham balls

My wife's relatives in Iowa make something like that. They are not appealing

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Helith posted:

The bit that struck me about the sushi casserole story was that he described her making it and then wrote "So the day of the party rolls around" implying that this monstrosity of rice and raw fish had sat around in their fridge for a while.
Then it sits on a buffet table all day.
:barf:

if you try to mentally fill in the details of that story, like, any details at all, it turns into like a choose your own adventure where every ending is food poisoning

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/6KlGnKn.mp4

avocado is gross

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Would every single one of those without hesitation.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Those things don't even need avocado.

Also "mealthy" gently caress off with that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Those pizzas look way too sweet for my tastes

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

how to ruin bruschetta.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Kept waiting for it to end in a foreclosure letter or a notice of rejection on a loan.