Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Jaxyon posted:

This kind of thread regular infighting is why the left loses

Well, you see, guillotines for anyone who isn't ideologically pure since birth and

edit: dog

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Police culture is horrible and police unions protect that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

A lovely Reporter posted:

I said they should stop because it's counterproductive and incredibly irritating. Plus the only reason derails involving him last so long is because they all refuse to let him have the last word, which he is also guilty of.

Edit: To be clear, I'm saying that all four of you are part of this, and since Majoran shows no signs of ever conceding, the three of you need to be the bigger people here because these repeated derails are bad for the thread.

I stopped posting about this multiple pages ago and moved onto nuclear chat, for the record. But you are right, I do tend to insist on having the last word.

\/\/\/:agreed:\/\/\/

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Majorian posted:

I actually am a Bad Bernie in that I don't think he should run in 2020. I think Warren would be a better choice, really. Or Brown.

e: That said, how do you know this wasn't Bernie's plan all along and he just provoked Baucus into supporting it?:smug: (this is not something I believe at all)

I mean, that was the entire point of his campaign before he looked like he might have a chance to win, go out there, try to progressive ideas far more mainstream and force other democrats to have to deal with them seriously.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Looks like that's gonna be significantly west of Miami, though Homestead's gonna get crushed (again)

I.....think you might be wildly underestimating the size of Irma.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Okay to the surprise of no one I think government work should be the most highly paid and luxurious.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Furnaceface posted:

Police and doctors are notoriously bad at managing the money they make.

Eh, I don't know. I think my dad was at around $25 per hour when he retired five years ago. We weren't by any means poor but the combined income of my parents wasn't something that would pur them firmly in HENRY territory.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

RuanGacho posted:

Okay to the surprise of no one I think government work should be the most highly paid and luxurious.

...grrrrrr....mah taaaaax buuuuux...:zombie:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Star Man posted:

Eh, I don't know. I think my dad was at around $25 per hour when he retired five years ago. We weren't by any means poor but the combined income of my parents wasn't something that would pur them firmly in HENRY territory.

Sounds like something a HENRY would say :v:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jaxyon posted:

Police culture is horrible and police unions protect that.

Yup.

It doesn't help that their spokesmen/directors/whatever just looooove getting up on their podiums and talk about how, by God, those victims of police violence deserved it.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Sorry if it has been posted, but I already looked up Florida's 2 reactors out of worry. They were constructed 20 feet above sea level and are surrounded by 6 feet of concrete with sealed doors, inside a sealed building. I think they might SCRAM (shutdown) the reactors anyhow, given the size of this monster, so the thingies that cease the reaction will be snugly in place between the fuel rods.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Majorian posted:

...grrrrrr....mah taaaaax buuuuux...:zombie:

Okay so they want highly underpaid idiots working for them of course. :eng101:

This always seems to give people pause.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Glumslinger posted:

Sounds like something a HENRY would say :v:

Yeah I don't think a five figure combined income makes anyone a HENRY.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

RuanGacho posted:

Okay so they want highly underpaid idiots working for them of course. :eng101:

This always seems to give people pause.

It only pauses them for so long, I'm afraid.

For a nation that just loves complaining to no end about DMV employees, we don't ever seem to want to pay the departments enough to hire more and better workers.

I think we just like to complain.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did they really build a big highway connecting all the keys? I hope they enjoyed it and get to use it one last time before tomorrow.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

William Contraalto posted:

What exactly counts as productivity in this thread.

Knowledgeable people always answering my unending questions about the government's intricacies. (You know who you are)

I don't give a gently caress, this counts too.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

business hammocks posted:

Did they really build a big highway connecting all the keys? I hope they enjoyed it and get to use it one last time before tomorrow.

it's been there for decades over a century (if you count when it was a railroad):shrug:

It's no longer a railroad, because of a hurricane in 1935. :haw:

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 9, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think one thing a lot of people forget is that saying "police culture is terrible" doesn't mean every police officer is a bad person. A lot of them, at least the ones I talk to, are quite aware of the problems with the general culture and they do what little they can do to work against that. A big problem is that the people who get into policing for the right reasons -- to help their community, to be the person to puts themselves in danger to help someone else out of danger -- generally have very little interest in moving on from street-level police work into management, so the organizational structure that should be holding lovely officers to account is largely staffed with complete fuckers. You need to convince those people that they can do more good off the street, keeping all the assholes in the line, than on it. But no one ever grew up dreaming about combatting police brutality and institutional racism from behind a desk...

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Majorian posted:

It only pauses them for so long, I'm afraid.

For a nation that just loves complaining to no end about DMV employees, we don't ever seem to want to pay the departments enough to hire more and better workers.

I think we just like to complain.

I know a few other goons can confirm this, but when you travel to anywhere not America and what's considered developed, the contrast is stark. We can totally have more better public services, and we don't even have to pay for it. We just have to stop electing the rich to public office.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

There's been a road through the keys for almost 100 years. The full road to Key West opened before WWII.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

So, funny story. No, they built a big railroad connecting all the keys, and they started building a highway.

Guess what happened next?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

RuanGacho posted:

I know a few other goons can confirm this, but when you travel to anywhere not America and what's considered developed, the contrast is stark. We can totally have more better public services, and we don't even have to pay for it. We just have to stop electing the rich to public office.

I, too, wish we lived in a sane society that placed a reasonable level of value on a workable civil service.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Speaking of cops and racism.. Get hype!

https://twitter.com/miagaluppo/status/906236165400944640

quote:

John David Washington (the son of Denzel Washington) will star in the adaptation of a memoir by an African American police detective who infiltrated the KKK.
Lee will direct and produce the movie with Peele producing via his banner Monkeypaw Productions.

Klansman tells the story of Ron Stallworth, a detective in Colorado Springs, Colorado, who in 1978 answered an ad in the local newspaper seeking new Klan members. He not only gained membership, but rose through the ranks to become the head of the local chapter. Stallworth, who is black, was able to gather all sorts of intelligence by pretending to be a white supremacist on the phone or via other forms of correspondence but sent a white fellow officer in his place for any in-person meetings. During his undercover work, Stallworth managed to sabotage several cross-burnings and other activities of the notorious hate group.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PT6A posted:

I think one thing a lot of people forget is that saying "police culture is terrible" doesn't mean every police officer is a bad person. A lot of them, at least the ones I talk to, are quite aware of the problems with the general culture and they do what little they can do to work against that. A big problem is that the people who get into policing for the right reasons -- to help their community, to be the person to puts themselves in danger to help someone else out of danger -- generally have very little interest in moving on from street-level police work into management, so the organizational structure that should be holding lovely officers to account is largely staffed with complete fuckers. You need to convince those people that they can do more good off the street, keeping all the assholes in the line, than on it. But no one ever grew up dreaming about combatting police brutality and institutional racism from behind a desk...

Nearly every instance of bad police work seems accompanied by peers and an entire chain of command, DA, and judicial system that seems hell bent on either covering up or smoothing over any issues. At this point I don't blame people for setting the baseline at "every cop is complicit".

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

They even released some test film!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIFRZBrOhqc

Also, I am hype for more Jordan Peele

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Which is why nowhere near that number are getting out. They only just started contraflow on the interstates today. 95, 75, and 10 have been parking lots for a couple days, and prior to that there was no solid way to know whether half the people needed to get out or not.

Most people have jobs that just decided whether or not they'd let people off for the hurricane as of yesterday or today, at which point getting a hotel within 9 hours of the greater South Eastern Parking Lot was pretty much a no go and the gas shortages had already begun. Hell, my second job still isn't sure if they're going to be closed due to Hurricane Sunday and Monday, and when the bridges close, which they will, there's probably about 12 people who can make it there.Hopefully Irma loses a lot of steam at landfall and the state learns something for next time. Like actually implementing some contraflow early and mandating something like making a goddamn call on being open or not prior to the winds and storm surge hitting.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ya dude that iconic action scene from true lies was on this bridge

duh

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mulva posted:

I.....think you might be wildly underestimating the size of Irma.

I'm not underestimating it; I'm saying that the actual path matters.

I lived 15 miles from the eye path of Andrew and the damage on our block was a tree fell down.

Meanwhile the eye passed over Homestead and it was flattened

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Oh my goodness, this sounds like an amazing movie.:neckbeard:

(also feels like it could be an inspiration for a certain famous Chappelle Show sketch...)

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
:cop: :jihad:

https://twitter.com/emlnemobama/status/905781844167323648

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
They're shutting down the Turkey Point reactors, right?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Mental warfare and infiltration against shitbirds, directed by Mr. Lee. Sold and Sold.

^^^^^^^
Yes, reactors getting shut down.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Oh my god, that is either going to be the worst thing ever or sweep the oscars. I'm super down to watch it

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

That's one quarter the population of Florida. :stare:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Oh fantastic, just what the world needed. Open carry morons and public records dickweeds to team up. I guarantee this fucker shoves his loving camera in the face of everyone working the front counter of a government building and is just the biggest piece of poo poo to them while demanding random things and getting belligerent if they don't know every single statute by heart.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Nearly every instance of bad police work seems accompanied by peers and an entire chain of command, DA, and judicial system that seems hell bent on either covering up or smoothing over any issues. At this point I don't blame people for setting the baseline at "every cop is complicit".

To a certain extent, this is correct, but you also have the issue of: what does a low-level officer (constable? Americans laugh when I use that term) do when they see abuse? When the most odious fuckers get promoted up the chain of command, and the system is stacked in order to cover up problems, and the police unions close ranks among the worst offenders, what options do they have to fix the problems? The correct thing would be to report any abuses or illegal behaviour to the next person up the chain of command, or to an independent agency with oversight capacity -- but if those people are willingly complicit in those abuses or crimes, one quickly runs out of options. The degree of responsibility increases as the people involved become more powerful. So, the average officer on the street is both the most powerful -- because they are the face of the police in an interaction with a citizen -- and least powerful, because they have the least ability to affect the behaviour of other officers.

EDIT: I will say, my police officer friend would completely agree with the "trash the leadership, they're all useless, and then get rid of the lovely officers" option. I don't think there's any lack of recognition about the problems that exist, but he feels essentially as powerless to deal with it as anyone else. You need the political will -- the support of people in high places -- to do anything.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 9, 2017

Caros
May 14, 2008

Yeah, not feeling a lot of sympathy for this dipshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr--_i0JZbs

Edit: Hahaha, the actual story is even better than the video. He walked in with one hand on the rifle slung across his chest, a sidearm on his hip wearing a loving balaclava.

Caros fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 9, 2017

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Caros posted:

Yeah, not feeling a lot of sympathy for this dipshit.

IN MICHIGAN IT IS LEAGL TO OPEN CARRY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Young Freud posted:

That's one quarter the population of Florida. :stare:

I'll bet they're glad Rick Scott adequately funded Florida's- pffttttt hahahaha, I'm just kidding, their livelihoods are doomed.

• Locked thread