Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

eddiewalker posted:

I mean, even the primer isn't sticking great. I can scratch it back to the green PCB fairly easy.

Maybe: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-Dip-14-5-oz-Black-Plasti-Dip-11603-6/202196703

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

PainterofCrap posted:

Wipe 'em down with isopropyl alochol?

Did it. Wore gloves. Going to try some 400 grit after work.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

I have some antennas made out of large printed circuit boards. They're covered, traces and all, in whatever green shiny coating that PCBs typically are.

I need them black. I tried whatever Rustoleum spray primer followed with regular spray paint, but it scratches right off.

What should I be doing to get a durable coating?

You know, we do have an electronics thread here in DIY. They might actually know best.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

kid sinister posted:

You know, we do have an electronics thread here in DIY. They might actually know best.

they might also know how much room you have to sand before you're sanding copper

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why does my non-contact voltage tester go crazy anywhere near my chandelier?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ohrmazd posted:

Why does my non-contact voltage tester go crazy anywhere near my chandelier?

they are not precision instruments

they will detect a wide range of voltages at a wide range of distances potentially

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SoundMonkey posted:

they are not precision instruments

they will detect a wide range of voltages at a wide range of distances potentially

I usually have to touch it right to the wire insulation though.

Anyway -- I want to replace the chandelier with a regular lamp, but the lamp I have uses a rectangular box, while the chandelier used a circular one like a porch light. Any idea what those are called so I can look for a lamp that mounts to one? It's a popcorn ceiling so I don't really care to cut it up too much myself.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ohrmazd posted:

Anyway -- I want to replace the chandelier with a regular lamp, but the lamp I have uses a rectangular box, while the chandelier used a circular one like a porch light. Any idea what those are called so I can look for a lamp that mounts to one? It's a popcorn ceiling so I don't really care to cut it up too much myself.

it really varies - it has a hard time finding some wires in my walls, but flips its poo poo within a foot of an LED bulb

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ohrmazd posted:

Round boxes in ceilings are called ceiling fan boxes. They have the same anchor points as any other round box in residential construction. The lamp may fit onto a single-gang box, in which case you can get a single-gang-to-round adapter. Alternatively, you can get a round blank cover with a KO in the middle and just drill a couple of screw holes. Pictures in the electrical thread would help.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Hey DIYers, thanks to Hurricane Harvey flooding the hell out of our house, we've been doing a lot of demolition, ripping up carpets, and throwing out otherwise perfectly good furniture that just happened to absorb a little nasty flood waters.

The only thing we're struggling with now is getting the remaining dirt and such off the concrete inside. We've swept, shop-vac'ed, and today we used a mild bleach solution and scrub brush to get it up (and wet vacuumed the resultant water). It just seems like that crap is never going to come up. We scrubbed and vacuumed, and there's still a bunch of residual crud that comes up if we redo the area.

I'd like to rent a walk behind floor scrubber, but finding that in this city right now is almost out of the question. The only other thing I can think to do is just use a hose to loosen the dirt and shop-vac it up. I've got a pressure washer I could use too, but as the house is finally drying I'd hate to introduce more moisture in there.

Any suggestions as to what we could try? We really don't want to hire it out, as we want to save the cash to do other stuff (like pay our flood insurance deductible).

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Re PCBs: It's called "conformal coat" and unfortunately there are a few types which may have different implications for painting, but you have something to google now. Maybe the antenna manufacturer or board house can tell you what they used.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not sure if this belongs here, but I have a lawnmower with a manual choke. It's stopped working, though. Last time I used it it started completely with the choke open. Then 5 minutes later, it dies. I try to start it up again, and it will run at full for about two seconds with the choke open, then die regardless of whether the choke is in or not.

Any ideas for what I should be looking at? I added some gas, I haven't tried adding in any oil yet.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
There is a small pan under the carburetor that sometimes fills up with crap. You could try removing it to clean it out and also spraying carb cleaner. Probably the first thing you should do is, in a clean area, remove the air filter and run the mower to see if it will start in closed, halfway, and full open. If it starts in full choke, you might have a problem with air intake.

If it runs fine for 5 minutes, I doubt that it is the idle. But you could always try to adjust the idle. Modern small engines usually use nonstandard idle adjustment screw heads, luckily amazon has them if you cannot find them locally.

The Gardenator fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 10, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
This seems like a good place to ask about emergency generators... I'm thinking I should be prepared for multi day power outages since that's occasionally happened to me before, especially after a similar hurricane awhile back caused residual windstorms in my area which knocked out the power for a week.

I was looking at the harbor freight predator generators, but I'm not sure whether I should be concerned about voltage spikes and other clean power issues. Do you guys have any recommendations?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

This seems like a good place to ask about emergency generators... I'm thinking I should be prepared for multi day power outages since that's occasionally happened to me before, especially after a similar hurricane awhile back caused residual windstorms in my area which knocked out the power for a week.

I was looking at the harbor freight predator generators, but I'm not sure whether I should be concerned about voltage spikes and other clean power issues. Do you guys have any recommendations?

What do you want to be able to power with it? Are you looking at also putting in a manual transfer switch, or just run what you want off extension cords?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

n0tqu1tesane posted:

What do you want to be able to power with it? Are you looking at also putting in a manual transfer switch, or just run what you want off extension cords?

That probably would have been important for me to originally specify... I'm just looking to run a fridge/freezer, possibly my network rack with the UPS, charge phones, and a couple of litterboxes. At some point I'll probably install a transfer switch, but I was just planning on running a couple of extension cords for now. 1500-2000 watts would be plenty for what I'd want to do with it, so I was thinking a 3000 watt generator so it could run at 50% load overnight without me refilling the tank.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

a couple of litterboxes

:confused: What litterbox needs electricity???

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kid sinister posted:

:confused: What litterbox needs electricity???

Self cleaning kind.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Self cleaning kind.

i've always wanted a four hundred dollar sand toilet whose sole purpose is to frighten the cat so badly it spends the next year making GBS threads on the rug

not that i know anyone who's had one of these or something

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I've stripped my bathroom floor down to the subfloor, and plan to install glue-down vinyl plank flooring in there. We're going to put down plywood underlayment, and I have a couple questions:

1) Should I put a vapor barrier between the subfloor and the underlayment? Or is that not necessary?

2) Is there any reason other than cost to use a particular thickness of plywood? The subfloor sits 3/4 inch below the floor in the hallway, so I'd like to use 1/2 inch or even 3/4 inch plywood to lay the vinyl on. But most resources I see suggest using 1/4 inch. Is there any reason for that that's important?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SoundMonkey posted:

i've always wanted a four hundred dollar sand toilet whose sole purpose is to frighten the cat so badly it spends the next year making GBS threads on the rug

I knew a guy who had one. The cat was cool with it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SoundMonkey posted:

It's true, I've spent more on cat toilets than replacing and remodeling both human toilets and bathrooms in my house :negative:

I will say that it's a huge quality of life improvement though, not having to scoop the litterbox. Only downside is that I can't manually scoop the cat genie in the event of a prolonged power outage since it flushes and rinses the litter, and since cats are dumb, they'd probably wind up going to the bathroom right next to it on the floor, instead of the nice clean litter robot two feet away

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

I just got the latest model of that. My two
cats have no issues with it and it significantly reduces litter box smell and makes cleaning easy. Would buy again.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sub Par posted:

I've stripped my bathroom floor down to the subfloor, and plan to install glue-down vinyl plank flooring in there. We're going to put down plywood underlayment, and I have a couple questions:

1) Should I put a vapor barrier between the subfloor and the underlayment? Or is that not necessary?

2) Is there any reason other than cost to use a particular thickness of plywood? The subfloor sits 3/4 inch below the floor in the hallway, so I'd like to use 1/2 inch or even 3/4 inch plywood to lay the vinyl on. But most resources I see suggest using 1/4 inch. Is there any reason for that that's important?

The underlayment is typically a sacrificial layer; a thin one is easier to pry/scrape up than a thick one (or glued-down floor covering). If you''re gluing down a top cover, consider screwing down a 5/8" plywood layer to build up the floor height, then nail a 1/4" luan over that to glue to.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I just got the latest model of that. My two
cats have no issues with it and it significantly reduces litter box smell and makes cleaning easy. Would buy again.
Yeah, scooping a litter box is annoying but ultimately not a huge deal. The biggest advantage of the Litter Robot is the reduction in smell. Also being able to go away for a long weekend without needing a cat sitter.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sub Par posted:

If you have a concrete slab and you're putting down solid wood flooring, a vapor barrier somewhere in there is a must. It wouldn't be a bad idea even with a vinyl flooring. I think they're going with 1/4" as the minimum. If the fatter thickness evens things out better, go with it.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Cross posting from the HVAC thread, as it seems very quiet in there. Hoping the knowledgeable HVAC nerds are hanging out here more often.

mr.belowaverage posted:

I'm going to be installing a combi-boiler for radiant and DHW within the next couple of months. It's going to supply kitchen and 3 bathrooms radiant tile floors, with radiators in the living areas and bedrooms.

I had some quotes from companies that will supply the boiler and install, but neither will assist with sizing the radiators or performing my heat load calculations. I also haven't had any luck finding someone to do this part of the job on its own.

What do I need to do or know to do this accurately on my own? The online calculators, including one linked in this (the HVAC) thread, were very confusing to use. Like, not hard, but unclear.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

So I want to mount some poo poo to my cinderblock walls.

Do I get some of these along with a masonry bit?

I'm under the impression that I drill a hole through the block, then through the thing that I want to mount on the wall, then put the anchor through both of them and tighten. Sound right?

Edit: How necessary is a Hammer drill for this? I've got this big old corded milwaukee MAGNUM HOLE SHOOTER, will that do the job?

Tres Burritos fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 17, 2017

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
You want to drill the hole into the wall and then hammer the anchor into the hole, then screw through the thing you're hanging into the anchor.

Buy a couple of masonry bits - in my experience they strip out pretty quickly and are then worthless.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Tres Burritos posted:

I'm under the impression that I drill a hole through the block, then through the thing that I want to mount on the wall, then put the anchor through both of them and tighten. Sound right?

Edit: How necessary is a Hammer drill for this? I've got this big old corded milwaukee MAGNUM HOLE SHOOTER, will that do the job?

Toggler anchors also work in concrete block, with pullout resistance approaching one ton.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Toggler anchors also work in concrete block, with pullout resistance approaching one ton.

Insert obligatory ex-wife joke.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Mr. Mambold posted:

Insert obligatory ex-wife joke.

This would be so much more mundane if it weren't for your avatar looking so pleased with himself.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Tres Burritos posted:

Drill the holes, insert the sleeve anchors, remove the nuts, put on whatever you're hanging, tighten the nut until they are tight and the anchors grab.

Your regular drill should be fine if you aren't doing too many holes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know this is a conversation I'll have to have the with the landlord, but I don't know what to say to him or what the fix would be.

The old gas stove in my studio apartment has three vents for the pilot light. The heat coming out of those vents is over 120 degrees Fahrenheit. As a result, my room is consistently 20 degrees hotter than the temperature outside Having the windows and front door open offer little relief.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

I know this is a conversation I'll have to have the with the landlord, but I don't know what to say to him or what the fix would be.

The old gas stove in my studio apartment has three vents for the pilot light.

You are asking for a new stove with an electric lighter, not pilots. That is an expensive ask. (or an ac unit.) you can help your case by being willing to throw in money, have a model and price at hand, and see if there are rebates from your gas company.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

You are asking for a new stove with an electric lighter, not pilots. That is an expensive ask. (or an ac unit.) you can help your case by being willing to throw in money, have a model and price at hand, and see if there are rebates from your gas company.

The electrically ignited stoves are not too hard to find between $100 to free on Craigslist, depending on where you live.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

The electrically ignited stoves are not too hard to find between $100 to free on Craigslist, depending on where you live.

Correct, but as a landlord you have more to think about than cheapest on craigslist. It needs to match the decor (easier in budget apartments) and you are responsible for it breaking down or burning the place down. Personally I would prefer the cheapest brand new one over a similarly priced mystery oven.

Edit: re: gas - around here the gas utility will happily hook up appliances for free for just that reason.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 17, 2017

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Also you want someone qualified to do the gas work unless you like dying.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Might local residential/building code come into play here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

We had a lovely stove in our old apartment with the opposite problem, the pilots would go out all the time. Found a little adjuster screw to turn them up some, I'm assuming you could do the opposite. Or just shut the pilots off altogether and use a lighter when you want to use a burner.