Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

Ah, my mistake - I just saw a lot of it during Benjamin Ghazi-gate.

Point is, way to stay relevant, Tucker.

It's not like you haven't done the exact same thing as Tucker in this thread. He just gets paid to do it while you're a volunteer.

On a more important note, isn't it sort of late to tell people to drive out of the Keys? Isn't that a really bad idea? Voldemort is going to get people killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

graynull posted:

How do people with houseboats generally fair in these kinds of catastrophes? Part of my brain thinks they'd be better off and the other part thinks worse, and I'm not sure which is less incorrect.

being on a boat of any size in a hurricane is a good way to die

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's not like you haven't done the exact same thing as Tucker in this thread. He just gets paid to do it while you're a volunteer.

Why would you even post this?:nallears:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Whats the point of credit (scores) and the agencies and needing SSN numbers for everything?

I am a moron

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

On a more important note, isn't it sort of late to tell people to drive out of the Keys? Isn't that a really bad idea? Voldemort is going to get people killed.

They've got about 24 hours to get off the Keys and quite literally anywhere in the state would be better than riding it out there. The Keys are basically the first to evacuate during every hurricane because of the problem with access to the island chain.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Almost 10 times the population of Wyoming. Only about 2.5x's the number of people in US prisons.

e: ~5.6 million times the number of idiots that wrote this post.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

PT6A posted:

That's also insane, but honestly the state of affairs where you could carry a gun in public (concealed or open) but not a sword is more insane.

Yeah the state congressman from Dearborn has introduced a bill making police stations and churches (I think) non open carry zones in response to these jackasses. Of course since he's Muslim, he immediately started getting death threats and accusations of trying to implement sharia law and overrule the 2nd amendment.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

graynull posted:

How do people with houseboats generally fair in these kinds of catastrophes? Part of my brain thinks they'd be better off and the other part thinks worse, and I'm not sure which is less incorrect.

Instead of seeing your walls blown down around you, you instead get to see your home carried up onto land to be smashed upon grounded structures. Then set free into the cold ocean depths.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

To put this in perspective this about the number that evacuated from the east coast of Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas for Floyd back in '99.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

KillHour posted:

If you want a free score (number) and more information, you have to give something up. Either you pay or you sign up for a company that shows you ads for things like credit cards and debt consolidation in exchange for giving you your credit report and an estimated score. I use Credit Karma and I really like it. Obviously, this assumes their security isn't also poo poo.
http://creditkarma.com/

Alternatively, most credit card companies now include monthly scores as part of their standard benefits and this works just as well (albeit without as much detailed information).

Alternatively alternatively, some credit unions provide a score for free. Bellco here in Colorado shows me mine when I load up my accounts and updates 3 times a year or something like that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

These loving morons just succeeded in recording the best example of common white privilege in history.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

At this point if you're still in the Keys it's probably slightly less dangerous to try and drive out than to ride out the likely Cat 5 poo poo storm from your feeble, idolatrous, structural middle finger to the god of destruction. You probably will make decent time until around the Tampa/Orlando area, and then have chance to either shelter where the hurricane won't be hitting at biblical destruction levels or try and play the waiting game on the highway further north/west.

Always choose the Russian roulette with just one bullet in the chambers over Russian roulette with 5 bullets.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i am harry posted:

Alternatively alternatively, some credit unions provide a score for free. Bellco here in Colorado shows me mine when I load up my accounts and updates 3 times a year or something like that.

Credit unions are amazeballs and anyone who is with a bank instead of one for a reason other than "I or my SO works at said bank" is getting ripped the gently caress off.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm not underestimating it; I'm saying that the actual path matters.

I lived 15 miles from the eye path of Andrew and the damage on our block was a tree fell down.

Meanwhile the eye passed over Homestead and it was flattened

I know it's an easy thing to do since they're affecting the same areas, but comparisons between Andrew and Irma aren't appropriate. They're completely different storms with completely different sizes and flow regimes. Andrew was a very very compact storm for the strength of winds it produced - that's why you can have the damage differences you experienced. Irma is much larger and is pushing a much more significant amount of water out ahead of it. For example, tropical storm force winds are currently extending 180 miles from the center of circulation of Irma. Significant effects will be felt a good distance from the actual eyewall.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

That's all just Jordan Peele in different make-up... You're not fooling me this time Peele!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Squalid posted:

I still struggle to grasp how a man can be so destitute of spirit.

Donald Trump has achieved the ultimate luxury: an existence untroubled by the rumbling of a soul.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Strangely enough, all of these digital voting machines must be used in the more 'ethnic' (i.e. poor) parts of Virginia, because in Fairfax County, for the last few elections, we've been using electronically-scanned bubble-in paper ballots. Ink, not pencil. There HAVE been electronic voting machines - and people are given the choice between them and a fill-in ballot - and people overwhelmingly choose the paper ballots.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gyges posted:

[...] feeble, idolatrous, structural middle finger to the god of destruction.

I feel like this should be Florida's state motto.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Incredibly late to credit chat but whatever. I was impacted in a breach in late March through my state's Job Search thingie getting whammied, so I was doing damage control on my credit long before any of y'all. Read Krebs, took Equifax's free credit monitoring (:lol:) put up a credit alert on the four credit agencies and Chex Systems, and put a rolling reminder in Google Calendar for every 91 days for the rest of my life since my SSN is in the darkweb forever now. I also registered an online account with the SSA, but not the IRS since I didn't have any of the lines of credit they check (not even a credit card).

No freeze, but that's okay because with a constant credit alert and a credit rating in the 540s, it's not like some Russian rear end in a top hat could run any throwaway credit line worth a drat anyway. :shepface:

Bonus Stupid: my bank has no 2FA and relies on security questions. KeePass that poo poo and check the balance every two days to make sure my debit doesn't get whammied, I guess. Wonder if Equifax will renew my free monitoring for an additional six months with this hack...

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Whats the point of credit (scores) and the agencies and needing SSN numbers for everything?

I am a moron
The point of them is to accurately assess how much risk it will be to lend you money so they can prove how much interest to charge to still be profitable.

If you have lots of debt, low income, missed lots of payments in the past, your chance of defaulting is high. You get lumped in with other high risk people and are charged high interest so that, on average, the lender will still make money even with an X% chance that Y% will default. If you have a good credit score you're low risk and they don't need to charge as high an interest rate to make money off you.

As for how it got to be like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erp8IAUouus

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

I feel like this should be Florida's state motto.

Sorry we just use 'In God We Trust' unfortunately.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Party Plane Jones posted:

That seems to be exceptionally poor advice at the moment.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Furnaceface posted:

Police and doctors are notoriously bad at managing the money they make.
Yeah seriously, find me a cop without a garage full of ATVs and jet skis and a bunch of expensive poo poo they use twice a year. It's some kind of disease.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

The Good Lord has a sense of humor.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i miss you since our place got wrecked
by the winds of change and the weeds of sex
and it looks like freedom but it feels like death
it's something in between, i guess
it's closing time

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Majorian posted:

The Good Lord has a sense of humor.

Wasnt there some Texas governor that held a big prayer for rain and the state almost immediately went up in flames?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This is a good read on just how utterly hosed Tampa is
https://twitter.com/melissalyttle/status/905589379741057024

quote:

By a stroke of gambler’s luck, Tampa Bay hasn’t suffered a direct hit from a hurricane as powerful as a category 3 or higher in nearly a century. Tampa has doubled down on a bet that another won’t strike anytime soon, investing billions of dollars in high-rise condominiums along the waterfront and shipping port upgrades and expanding a hospital on an island in the middle of the bay to make it one of the largest in the state.

Once-sleepy St. Petersburg has gradually followed suit, adorning its downtown coast with high-rise condominiums, new shops and hotels. The city is in the final stages of a plan to build a $45 million pier as a major attraction that would extend out into the bay.

Worried that area leaders weren’t adequately focused on the downside of living in a tropic, the Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council reminded them of the risks by simulating a worst-case scenario hurricane, a category 5 with winds exceeding 156 mph, to demonstrate what would happen if it entered the Gulf of Mexico and turned their way.

The fictitious Phoenix hurricane scenario projects that wind damage would destroy nearly half a million homes and businesses. About 2 million residents would require medical treatment, and the estimated death toll, more than 2,000, would top the number of people who perished from Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana and Mississippi.

Florida’s most densely populated county, Pinellas, could be sliced in half by a wave of water. The low-lying county of about a million is growing so fast that there’s no land left to develop, and main roads and an interstate connecting it to Tampa get clogged with traffic even on a clear day.

“If a hurricane 4 or 5 hit us,” St. Petersburg City Council Chairman Darden Rice said, referring to the two highest category storms, “there’s no doubt about it. The plan is you’d better get out of Dodge.”

Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn’s warning was even starker. Standing outside City Hall last year, he described what would happen if a hurricane as small as a category 3 with 110 mph to 130 mph winds hit downtown.

“Where you’re standing now would be 15 feet under water,”
he said.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 9, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Is it wrong of me to want the world leaders to all go buy new bigger planes just to troll him?

Kuwait and Qatar *do* own 747-8 BBJs: http://www.airlinereporter.com/2012/12/who-does-this-747-8i-belong-to-a-mystery-on-the-tarmac-at-paine-field/

That's what the new Air Force One will be based on. So technically...at least one person/entity (probably the government/rulers of Qatar and Kuwait) has a newer/nicer plane than Trump. And if (and we can all hope, WHEN) he loses in 2020 - he'll probably never get to fly on the new 747-8 version.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Furnaceface posted:

Wasnt there some Texas governor that held a big prayer for rain and the state almost immediately went up in flames?

But did it rain right after?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How the gently caress is there even room for Jose to build up enough power to be a huge hurricane right after Harvey?

If God is real he designed nature terribly. I'm filing a complaint.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

KillHour posted:

Credit unions are amazeballs and anyone who is with a bank instead of one for a reason other than "I or my SO works at said bank" is getting ripped the gently caress off.

On the other hand, the only good thing my father ever did for me was making me eligible to open up a USAA account.

Still keep an account active with my local CU, though.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

My aunt lives in Tampa and is all in on the Rush Limbaugh "This is all liberal lies" train, so I hope she makes it okay.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I am a moron

The SSN is a unique identifier, unlike your name.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

KillHour posted:

Navy Federal Credit Union ~represent~.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

being on a boat of any size in a hurricane is a good way to die

The housesubmarines, on the other hand, are in good shape!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

By Allah, white people are stupid.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HootTheOwl posted:

The SSN is a unique identifier, unlike your name.

CGP Grey has a great video as to how this happened (and showing exactly how loving stupid it is to have this setup in the modern internet age):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erp8IAUouus

EDIT: poo poo, I didn't notice it was posted like ten minutes ago.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bobjr posted:

My aunt lives in Tampa and is all in on the Rush Limbaugh "This is all liberal lies" train, so I hope she makes it okay.

Welp, Rush himself fled like a liberal cuck, so maybe that convinced her to get out too?

Hope she's okay, dude.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bobjr posted:

Does she know he bugged the gently caress out this morning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

How the gently caress is there even room for Jose to build up enough power to be a huge hurricane right after Harvey?.

for unexplained reasons the oceans have been getting warmer over the last hundred years???

• Locked thread