Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Baronjutter posted:

:gif of simpsons action guy doing stand up:

Also people have tried to sue building supply places because they bought an "8x8" post and got home to find it was in fact not exactly 8" x 8".

what is a manufacturing tolerance???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Dude nominal sizing like pipes not manufacturing tolerance.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why doesnt my hard drive actually hold 128gb

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm still not sure what normcore was supposed to be. Like, if it was just dressing in boring clothes, or if it was about dressing in ugly Napoleon Dynamite costumes on purpose.

Normcore was the creation of a trend forecasting group called K-Hole. They rule, and it will make perfect sense if you read that journal. The New York Times didn't get the concept so they just used it as a synonym for "unfashionable dad jeans" and unfortunately that's how most people understand it now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

the black husserl posted:

Normcore was the creation of a trend forecasting group called K-Hole. They rule, and it will make perfect sense if you read that journal.

They're actually right about the social shift, that people are no longer part of communities by default, and horrifyingly wrong about the implications of such.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

They're actually right about the social shift, that people are no longer part of communities by default, and horrifyingly wrong about the implications of such.

Can you explain why you think that? I think they absolutely nail it, and subsequent trends in media & mass culture seem to back it up:

K-HOLE posted:

Normcore doesn't want the freedom to become someone. Normcore wants the freedom to be with anyone. You might not understand the rules of football, but you can still get a thrill from the roar of the crowd at the World Cup. In Normcore, one does not pretend to be above the indignity of belonging.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

got any sevens posted:

Why doesnt my hard drive actually hold 128gb

"with all the technical advances why can't anyone actually invent a 1tb hard drive that has 1024 gigabytes in it"

- actual people

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Its like calling burgers 1/4 pound when thats the pre-cook weight. Or not including sales tax in the sticker price

Grinds my gears

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

got any sevens posted:

Its like calling burgers 1/4 pound when thats the pre-cook weight. Or not including sales tax in the sticker price

Grinds my gears

How could you do that any other way? The post-cook weight is going to vary by dozens of factors, including the weather.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

got any sevens posted:

Grinds my gears

I'm fine with the first bit, but I loathe that in North America they don't put the price+tax on items. I'm sure that it has to do with some idiotic sales psychology or the whole "must end in .99", but the consumer doesn't care what goes to whom; he only cares about the cost to him. Whenever I am in Europe I really appreciate that, if I pick up a thing costing 4euro50 and another that's 8euro75, I know exactly how much I will have to spend. My feelings on the punitive and highly regressive nature of VAT is stuff for another thread, however.

I've only ever once in NA seen a place that had tax included. It was many years ago, right after I came stateside, and it was a cinema. Mind you, their prices on soda/popcorn/sweets were still ludicrous, but at least they were all-inclusive.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm fine with the first bit, but I loathe that in North America they don't put the price+tax on items. I'm sure that it has to do with some idiotic sales psychology or the whole "must end in .99", but the consumer doesn't care what goes to whom; he only cares about the cost to him. Whenever I am in Europe I really appreciate that, if I pick up a thing costing 4euro50 and another that's 8euro75, I know exactly how much I will have to spend. My feelings on the punitive and highly regressive nature of VAT is stuff for another thread, however.

I've only ever once in NA seen a place that had tax included. It was many years ago, right after I came stateside, and it was a cinema. Mind you, their prices on soda/popcorn/sweets were still ludicrous, but at least they were all-inclusive.

It's because sales tax rates are incredibly localized and retail chains aren't. The prices are set by headquarters and the tax is programmed into the registers. Sure, stores could print price tags locally, but a lot of products have the price printed directly on the packaging. Arizona Tea doesn't want to print thousands of slightly different cans to cover all the municipal tax rates.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It's because sales tax rates are incredibly localized and retail chains aren't. The prices are set by headquarters and the tax is programmed into the registers. Sure, stores could print price tags locally, but a lot of products have the price printed directly on the packaging. Arizona Tea doesn't want to print thousands of slightly different cans to cover all the municipal tax rates.

Additionally, in most (not all) jurisdictions the vendor isn't allowed to give a lump sum price and say "tax included" and then back end the tax. They have to show it as its own line. If they were able to just do "tax included" they could price things with the average tax in mind and just back-end it as necessary (e.g., they could price a bottle of coke at $2.25 and use that quarter to cover the taxes so they might turn over 15 cents in Shitsville County and 21 cents in Shitsville City - so they end up getting a little more from it in places with lower rates and a little less in places with a higher one, but the buyer just sees the actual price paid. That's not allowed).

Morbus
May 18, 2004

How could you do that any other way? The post-cook weight is going to vary by dozens of factors, including the weather.

Cook them, weigh them, then un-cook them duh

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

And when we say "thousands", we're talking like there are many places where even crossing from one side of town to the other in some place with barely 20,000 people, and the sales tax is twice the rate across that boundary. Or how anyone who wants to run an ad on TV or radio in a major metro area is going to have their advertised price read to easily 10, 20 different tax rates applied to it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

And when we say "thousands", we're talking like there are many places where even crossing from one side of town to the other in some place with barely 20,000 people, and the sales tax is twice the rate across that boundary. Or how anyone who wants to run an ad on TV or radio in a major metro area is going to have their advertised price read to easily 10, 20 different tax rates applied to it.

Where I lived in CA cigarettes from the safeway on one side of the street were about $1.50 a pack more expensive than from the walgreens on the other side of the street because that street was the dividing line of the incorporated/unicorporated part of the city it can get pretty absurd.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

shopping complex to the south of the border line is in Massachusetts and has sales tax

mall to the north is entirely in New Hampshire and has no sales tax

(the Google Map state line is a bit inaccurate, the mall builders lopped off a chunk of JC Penney that would have otherwise edged into Massachusetts)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

the black husserl posted:

Can you explain why you think that? I think they absolutely nail it, and subsequent trends in media & mass culture seem to back it up:

It's been explored in other threads, but simply that naturally formed communities barely exist any more, especially among the young. There's no point getting to know your neighbours because chances are they'll be gone in a few years. All the social groups that older generations took for granted don't exist for the young, between the irrelevance of religion, disintegration of neighbourhoods, and atomisation of the personal identity.

This is the kind of alienation that the alt-right rose out of.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's been explored in other threads, but simply that naturally formed communities barely exist any more, especially among the young. There's no point getting to know your neighbours because chances are they'll be gone in a few years. All the social groups that older generations took for granted don't exist for the young, between the irrelevance of religion, disintegration of neighbourhoods, and atomisation of the personal identity.

This reads like some dumb fascist apologia, op.

Also I'm laughing pretty hard at the idea of neighborhoods as "disintegrating". The average American has moved only two times before they turn 18, people stay in their neighborhood for a fairly long time while growing up.

Meanwhile yes, you'll move a lot in your twenties and like 18-19 but this has long been typical for both college-educated and people who go straight from high school into employment. You generally go to a college that's a ways away such that it makes sense to have a dorm the first few years or just go the apartment/rental house route the whole term, and both are quite likely to involve many small moves. Then you start to work and you're likely to move again and a few more times. The guy who went right into the workforce moves a bit less especially by avoiding dorms that almost inevitably involve at least one move a year, but will still shift around a bunch.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

Your social group is who you work with now, your church (if you do that) of your significat other's group or who ever around you can afford to also participate in your hobbies. Unless you live within like 30 miles of where you were born and still hang out with people you've known since middle school. I would bet that most people have a healthy dose of all of the above to some extent.

Community involvment though comes through all of those other things and really kicks off when you have kids and meet other parents.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'd rather murder myself and everything I love than spend additional time with my coworkers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I'd rather murder myself and everything I love than spend additional time with my coworkers.

Well, you'd have really hated the whole middle of the last century then.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

What counts as "naturally formed"?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Plinkey posted:

Where I lived in CA cigarettes from the safeway on one side of the street were about $1.50 a pack more expensive than from the walgreens on the other side of the street because that street was the dividing line of the incorporated/unicorporated part of the city it can get pretty absurd.

Philadelphia is very incorporated with its nearest Pennsylvania neighbors, where there's a million places you wouldn't notice the city line if you weren't looking for it, and cigarettes are $3 more in the city and soda is like 40% more. Just thinking of two gas stations across a two lane street from each other which is totally a thing.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Obv it could be slightly diff but if our society were slightly less litigious and could accept 1/4 lb as the goal achieved 95% of the time...

fishmech posted:

This reads like some dumb fascist apologia, op.

Also I'm laughing pretty hard at the idea of neighborhoods as "disintegrating". The average American has moved only two times before they turn 18, people stay in their neighborhood for a fairly long time while growing up.

Meanwhile yes, you'll move a lot in your twenties and like 18-19 but this has long been typical for both college-educated and people who go straight from high school into employment. You generally go to a college that's a ways away such that it makes sense to have a dorm the first few years or just go the apartment/rental house route the whole term, and both are quite likely to involve many small moves. Then you start to work and you're likely to move again and a few more times. The guy who went right into the workforce moves a bit less especially by avoiding dorms that almost inevitably involve at least one move a year, but will still shift around a bunch.

Dunno about averages but my anecdote is that in the last 20 years i've never seen more than 3 kids playing together from diff houses in this suburb neighborhood

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

This actually still seems a bit strange to me because in the UK, for example, where the tax is even across the whole country, the same chain can and does charge different prices for the same product in different parts of the country, often in different parts of the same city. Items generally are more expensive at the Tesco near my work than they are at the Tesco near my house, even though they're a 20 minute drive apart, because the Tesco near my work is in the town centre. And the Tesco in my town centre will be more expensive than a Tesco in the town centre of Paisley, but cheaper than a Tesco in the town centre of London. Tesco HQ sets the markup for each of these stores individually, transmits the prices to the stores electronically, who then print the price tags onsite.

Does that not happen in the US?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Reveilled posted:

This actually still seems a bit strange to me because in the UK, for example, where the tax is even across the whole country, the same chain can and does charge different prices for the same product in different parts of the country, often in different parts of the same city. Items generally are more expensive at the Tesco near my work than they are at the Tesco near my house, even though they're a 20 minute drive apart, because the Tesco near my work is in the town centre. And the Tesco in my town centre will be more expensive than a Tesco in the town centre of Paisley, but cheaper than a Tesco in the town centre of London. Tesco HQ sets the markup for each of these stores individually, transmits the prices to the stores electronically, who then print the price tags onsite.

Does that not happen in the US?

There is no federal sales tax in the US. States have their own sales tax laws and not all states have a sales tax. On top of that, each county can have an additional sales tax and then each city can add one to it. Sales tax increases are voted on and their durations last for as long as stated on the ballot. And then, here in Wyoming we don't have a sales tax for non-prepared foods.

Could someone like Walmart's corporate office manage all the prices across a country the size of continental Europe and keep track of every two-bit town's sales tax laws? Probably. But it's a shitload easier to have the stores manage that poo poo on their own based on where they are.

But yeah I would appreciate having tax included in prices.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Plinkey posted:

Your social group is who you work with now, your church (if you do that) of your significat other's group or who ever around you can afford to also participate in your hobbies. Unless you live within like 30 miles of where you were born and still hang out with people you've known since middle school. I would bet that most people have a healthy dose of all of the above to some extent.

Community involvment though comes through all of those other things and really kicks off when you have kids and meet other parents.

Problem happens when no one expects to stay in the same job for more than two years, church is completely irrelevant to anyone under 30 unless you live in the kind of small town community that's dying rapidly (see the rural poverty thread), hobbies are increasingly atomised and wealth-gated, and people are moving frequently because of employment, scarcity of affordable housing, gentrification and lack of financial security, and are having fewer kids later in life because they can't afford to start popping them out throughout their 20s anymore.

quote:

people who go straight from high school into employment
Tell me more about the unicorns.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Products with a price tag printed directly on them by the manufacturer are the exception not the norm, almost everything in a grocery store has a price tag printed out in store with a handheld printer (even if those prices are set centrally by corporate).

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

church is completely irrelevant to anyone under 30 unless you live in the kind of small town community that's dying rapidly.

Could this be a Catholic/Protestant thing? My family consists of fairly religious catholics and a few Anglicans, and they go to church weekly, I suspect primarily for the social aspects.

E: it's an urban area, and a fair number of churches have closed in my lifetime, but the Catholic dioceses and the Mormon ward(s?) are still going strong.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 9, 2017

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Star Man posted:

There is no federal sales tax in the US. States have their own sales tax laws and not all states have a sales tax. On top of that, each county can have an additional sales tax and then each city can add one to it. Sales tax increases are voted on and their durations last for as long as stated on the ballot. And then, here in Wyoming we don't have a sales tax for non-prepared foods.

Could someone like Walmart's corporate office manage all the prices across a country the size of continental Europe and keep track of every two-bit town's sales tax laws? Probably. But it's a shitload easier to have the stores manage that poo poo on their own based on where they are.

But yeah I would appreciate having tax included in prices.

But that only seems to be a shitload easier if the corporate office doesn't already manage all the prices across the country and keep track of every two-bit town's cost of living (of which sales taxes would be a part). So what I'm asking is, does that not actually happen in the US? Does a loaf of bread from Walmart cost the same pre-tax in The Walmart in North Bergen, New Jersey as it does in the Walmart in Freehold, New Jersey, or the Walmart in Rawlins, Wyoming?

EDIT: and if the answer is no, is that because the local store sets the pre-tax price or because the head office sets the pre-tax price?

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 9, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Dunno about averages but my anecdote is that in the last 20 years i've never seen more than 3 kids playing together from diff houses in this suburb neighborhood

Lol suburbs, of course they suck. Any city neighborhood or even small town where everyone knows each other is pretty drat social. Suburbs are, for half the residents, a denial that others exist.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Y'all are gonna have to update your cliches. Minorities and the less wealthy are moving to suburbs in record numbers as urban cores become unaffordable. I know it's fashionable to put on Arcade Fire and whine about suburban anomie but you could also pull your head out of your rear end and actually visit the suburbs where literally every non-white person in my area (Denver) lives. It's about survival.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Gentrifying college educated rear end in a top hat, smoking American Spirit in an artisanal cereal bar: "people in the suburbs, they lack the ability to feel or connect with others"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And everyone in the small town is unemployed and/or dying from opiate abuse.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

And everyone in the small town is unemployed and/or dying from opiate abuse.

Definitely DO NOT point out that the majority of small towns in the southwest are chock full of Latinos, it throws a bit of a wrench in the ol thread narrative that everyone in a municipality of less than 1 million should be purged for KKK membership

call to action fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 9, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

nice meltdown.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Almost as if retail is having problems because the world no longer works exactly according to the projections of marketing department and portrayals in 1950s sitcoms

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Reveilled posted:

But that only seems to be a shitload easier if the corporate office doesn't already manage all the prices across the country and keep track of every two-bit town's cost of living (of which sales taxes would be a part). So what I'm asking is, does that not actually happen in the US? Does a loaf of bread from Walmart cost the same pre-tax in The Walmart in North Bergen, New Jersey as it does in the Walmart in Freehold, New Jersey, or the Walmart in Rawlins, Wyoming?

EDIT: and if the answer is no, is that because the local store sets the pre-tax price or because the head office sets the pre-tax price?
I've never worked
a) at Walmart
b) in grocery

but to address a few things here:

I currently manage a (sort of) retail space, and any basic POS system (Square, Shopify, Shopkeep) can track all of the state and local tax rates. It's bundled into a package we pay under $100 a month for as a free feature, so tracking tax rates couldn't be an issue for a large chain.

In terms of "does stuff cost the same in every locality", it depends on what the chain wants to do. I spent all of high school and college (and a bit of grad school) working for big book/music retailers, which is different than food in that it's less regional/non-perishable. With food Wyoming might be buying milk or bread from an entirely different supply chain than the stores in NJ. But with books and CDs, the cost to the store was standardized across the board, though we had little to no control over what books or how many copies we were getting shipped from the central offices.

If you ever get bored you can go to any big chain store and plug in a bunch of zip codes into their "weekly ad" section, they're usually pretty standardized (especially Walmart's) but that's part of the reason most of the sites most of the big chains will ask you for your ZIP before showing you in-store sales. I assume any system for deciding how much to charge for items at big chains now is done using some sort of complex proprietary system, but at least back in the early 2000s some chains had a very basic one.

Back when I worked for the now-defunct Hastings (Your Entertainment Superstore!) I was in charge of putting out the new books/music/etc. on Monday night for New Release Tuesday and because Hastings was not a very well run company, they would just send or fax us a big list every week that basically amounted to:

"If there's a Borders and Barnes and Noble within 10 miles of your store, the new Harry Potter is 40% off"
"If the nearest Borders *or* Barnes and Noble is within 25 miles of your store, the new Harry Potter is 30% off"
"If there isn't a Borders, B&N, or Best Buy within 50 miles of your store, the new Harry Potter is 20% off"
"If there are none of any of those chains within 100 miles of your store, the new Harry Potter is 10% off"

It was even more complicated than that, even if there were only 4-6 price points the chart had at least a dozen permutations at some points. All three of those chains (and Target and Walmart, which were also sometimes part of the matrix) were aggressively expanding in the early 2000s, and in my college town we went from having a nearby Borders and far flung others to having all five of those other chains within ten miles over the course of my four years of intermittent Hastings employment. At no point did the Hastings front office do the minimal legwork to just like declare we were in Price Fixing Zone 5A and transmit the prices from their central office, we had to follow the chart, make the signs, then put the prices into the system by hand. Did I mention Hastings went out of business?

Imagine a less dumb version of that and I'm sure that's what anyone still is business is doing on a much more complex scale to decide how much your bread is pre-tax.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

call to action posted:

Y'all are gonna have to update your cliches. Minorities and the less wealthy are moving to suburbs in record numbers as urban cores become unaffordable. I know it's fashionable to put on Arcade Fire and whine about suburban anomie but you could also pull your head out of your rear end and actually visit the suburbs where literally every non-white person in my area (Denver) lives. It's about survival.

You must not get out much, this isn't even remotely true about Denver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Also the Arcade Fire album he's referring to came out like five years ago and I highly doubt you're allowed to smoke in artisanal cereal bars